Jets highly unlikely to sign Anderson

choon328

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

You wouldn’t rather get the comp pick instead of overpaying? We still have our own guys to sign, Jamal Adams wants a new contract right now and we need to make our market upgrades.

its a lot.

Show me where Jamal said he wants a new contract "right now". But if he does say it, we should give it to him. I think Douglas will do that, because that's what a smart GM would do. He'd look to resign his best player to a fair contract. If someone bowled him over with an offer? Sure you might move him, but that goes with any player. Every thing in this world has a price, if someone is willing to pay enough it can be bought..

I want to build this team into a contender the right way though. Keep our good players. If they've produced pay them. Then address areas of weakness through FA and the draft.  We're not getting Amari Cooper, and it's ridiculous to think we can, so lets stop talking like it's a thing..

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Show me where Jamal said he wants a new contract "right now". But if he does say it, we should give it to him. I think Douglas will do that, because that's what a smart GM would do. He'd look to resign his best player to a fair contract. If someone bowled him over with an offer? Sure you might move him, but that goes with any player. Every thing in this world has a price, if someone is willing to pay enough it can be bought..

I want to build this team into a contender the right way though. Keep our good players. If they've produced pay them. Then address areas of weakness through FA and the draft.  We're not getting Amari Cooper, and it's ridiculous to think we can, so lets stop talking like it's a thing..

Jamal has repeatedly said he wants his contract this offseason. Idk where you have been and Amari Cooper isn’t a pipe dream dude but okay.

16 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

yet under 3 seconds to get rid of the ball

time to throw...  most throws are made in under 3 secs

a grand total of 1 QB avegrages more than 3 secs.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

get back make read(s) throw...   THATS how it works...  Sam is not good at this yet.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jamal has repeatedly said he wants his contract this offseason. Idk where you have been and Amari Cooper isn’t a pipe dream dude but okay.

1. Every player wants a new contract

I'll ask you again, show me where he said "he wants it right now" and where he has said it "repeatedly"... You're just making stuff up here.

2. Yes, Amari Cooper IS a pipe dream dude.

But okay... back atcha.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I agree its prolly too much with all the holes we already have...

but more power to him..   played pretty good for a crappy team with crappy OLS and QBs

?

One way or the other, Robby is gonna get paid, and he earned it. 

Good for him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

I agree its prolly too much with all the holes we already have...

but more power to him..   played pretty good for a crappy team with crappy OLS and QBs

Oh by all means if someone is willing to pay you that much, go ahead and take it. I won't blame a player for taking what amount is being offered

39 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Mawae, Kendall, Faneca & Woody.

For all the things this franchise has done poorly, we're actually pretty good at signing premium offensive lineman. 

Just hope we stay away from Conklin. He's injury prone and pass blocking is decidedly not his strength.

I didn't say you can never hit on free agent o-linemen. None of the 4 you mentioned were signed in the last decade and considering we weren't drafting them highly during that period, we were relying heavily on FA o-linemen. Here's the last decade of Jets FA o-line pickups that I could find - may have missed some.

• Tom Compton
  • Ryan Kalil
  • Spencer Long
  • Wesley Johnson
  • Ryan Clady
  • Ben Ijalana
  • Willie Colon
  • Austin Howard
  • Breno Giacomini
  • Markus Zusevics
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Wayne Hunter

I guess Willie Colon was OK although I don't recall him being anything special here. I dare anyone to look at that list and be optimistic about our chances of picking up a solid FA offensive lineman - let alone 2 or 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Sure as hell hope so. I’d throw a huge contract at him (and still draft high for one). 

Theres zero options in free agency. The only good option is Austin Hooper. Another TE. But don’t see that happening. 

You know this team much better than most of us, so I'll defer to your opinion of what's possible and what's not this offseason.

Personally, I think we have such a poor roster, and so many areas of need we can't afford to lose any of the few good players we have such as Adams and Anderson.

The rub is that when it comes to those areas of need, such as OL, CB, WR, backup RB and QB, not to mention help at the edge, can or should we even try to sign a premium priced free agent like Cooper? I'm thinking we need to spread that money around as much as possible. Robby won't cost nearly as much as Cooper, and he has fit well with Darnold.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I didn't say you can never hit on free agent o-linemen. None of the 4 you mentioned were signed in the last decade and considering we weren't drafting them highly during that period, we were relying heavily on FA o-linemen. Here's the last decade of Jets FA o-line pickups that I could find - may have missed some.

• Tom Compton
  • Ryan Kalil
  • Spencer Long
  • Wesley Johnson
  • Ryan Clady
  • Ben Ijalana
  • Willie Colon
  • Austin Howard
  • Breno Giacomini
  • Markus Zusevics
  • Bruce Campbell
  • Wayne Hunter

I guess Willie Colon was OK although I don't recall him being anything special here. I dare anyone to look at that list and be optimistic about our chances of picking up a solid FA offensive lineman - let alone 2 or 3.

None of those were premium, top end players. When we try to hit the bargain FA o-lineman, we strike out. 

When we go for the premium ones - we do well. 

We should be looking at Costanzo, Thuney & Glasgow. All of them are premium players and none resemble the dudes you just mentioned.

34 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm more than ok not paying him nearly 14 million to keep, but I will be very curious how the WR position plays out prior to the draft.  Jets cannot go into the draft with Jameson Crowder as the only proven WR on the team.

If they address RT in FA they could draft Jeudy or lamb and then still draft OL in 2nd and 3rd rounds.  

• Upvote 1

Deep threats and pass rushers....guys the Jets hardly ever have, and when we do it's for a short time period.

Oh well, if he leaves then I wish him the best of luck....he's a good receiver with a lot of talent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

None of those were premium, top end players. When we try to hit the bargain FA o-lineman, we strike out. 

When we go for the premium ones - we do well. 

We should be looking at Costanzo, Thuney & Glasgow. All of them are premium players and none resemble the dudes you just mentioned.

We'll see how premium, top end they are. My point is that they usually aren't.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He’ll be signed the first week if he becomes a FA. 

Exactly.  The guy is truly a weapon.  Like to hear from anyone who can name another WR in the league who can get behind a D better and more consistently than Robbie Anderson.  It’s not his fault that the Jets either never had a QB with an arm to get him the ball deep or never had an OL that would give the QB a long enough time for a deep route to develop.

If those situations existed while he was with the Jets...he’s a 1,000 yard plus WR with 10 TDs EVERY year he played.

Someone understands that and that’s why he WILL be paid what he wants.

So after losing him the Jets will basically have NO explosive WR, NO explosive RB, still the 3rd worst OL in NFL history....all going into Sam Darnold’s 3rd YEAR, 3rd year!!!!!, such a fu*kin joke.

Douglas doesn’t get things right, Darnold won’t stay around for a 2nd contract, and you can’t blame him.

And anyone who thinks all these brand new pieces that Douglas is forced to get will magically mesh overnight, they’re fooling themselves....and that’s even if he makes most of the right moves, which is by far not a certainty.

What a disaster of an organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, choon328 said:

'Seems highly unlikely' Jets re-sign Anderson https://t.co/tGNDEfDjjn

He wants $13-$15 million,  the Jets are willing to go to $10 million. Thank God there is an adult GM in charge now.  Good riddance. 

So "thinks" a media guy?

Guess that means its a fact.

And why good riddance?  For supposedly opening with only $3 mil more than the Jets supposedly willing to spend to resign Robby?

I wouldn't count on this being the final ending to this story.  

• Upvote 2

As a general rule, when you have an awful team, you don't spend all of your money to simply retain the same sorry lineup.  You're talking about spending 2/3 of available cap space on an inconsistent mid-tier WR who has never been as good as he insists, and a safety with 2 years still left on a rookie deal.  Unless you're gambling on every draft pick Douglas ever makes being a quality day-one starter, that's not a formula for success.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Exactly.  The guy is truly a weapon.  Like to hear from anyone who can name another WR in the league who can get behind a D better and more consistently than Robbie Anderson.  It’s not his fault that the Jets either never had a QB with an arm to get him the ball deep or never had an OL that would give the QB a long enough time for a deep route to develop.

If those situations existed while he was with the Jets...he’s a 1,000 yard plus WR with 10 TDs EVERY year he played.

Someone understands that and that’s why he WILL be paid what he wants.

So after losing him the Jets will basically have NO explosive WR, NO explosive RB, still the 3rd worst OL in NFL history....all going into Sam Darnold’s 3rd YEAR, 3rd year!!!!!, such a fu*kin joke.

Douglas doesn’t get things right, Darnold won’t stay around for a 2nd contract, and you can’t blame him.

And anyone who thinks all these brand new pieces that Douglas is forced to get will magically mesh overnight, they’re fooling themselves....and that’s even if he makes most of the right moves, which is by far not a certainty.

What a disaster of an organization.

I don't know how you can be so sure he's a 1k+/10TD guy in a better situation. I don't question that he appears to have that type of capability, but it's unproven and he has question marks. That's why it's a tough situation. Someone is probably going to pay him on the potential. He may prove it on a team like the Chiefs but if we signed him to the same price he never even be in an optimal situation and have a chance to prove it.

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Robby wants too much money

Must say bye to you

Does Robby have JD over a barrel?

“And Darnold has NO deep threat, NO explosive RB (what century was it the Jets had one of those?), and the 3rd Worst OL in NFL history....all going into his 3rd Year haha”......doesn’t exactly rhyme into a song...but it tells the story very succinctly.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

“And Darnold has NO deep threat, NO explosive RB (what century was it the Jets had one of those?), and the 3rd Worst OL in NFL history....all going into his 3rd Year haha”......doesn’t exactly rhyme into a song...but it tells the story very succinctly.

Very depressing.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know how you can be so sure he's a 1k+/10TD guy in a better situation. I don't question that he appears to have that type of capability, but it's unproven and he has question marks. That's why it's a tough situation. Someone is probably going to pay him on the potential. He may prove it on a team like the Chiefs but if we signed him to the same price he never even be in an optimal situation and have a chance to prove it.

I totally agree with you.

Most likely Anderson would be stuck in a sub-optimal situation if he stayed with the Jets 10 years....and that’s why he won’t and someone in a much better situation will pay him and maybe see him become what he might have the capability to do.  But if you have the money and that very situation I think it’s definitely a gamble worth taking.

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If Robby was on the cheifs he’d be a 1500 yard receiver.

If true, then he should probably take less money so he can sign with the Chiefs, I guess.

Who’s Sam throwing the ball to next year? Berrios crowder and Vincent Smith?

Hopefully a 1st round draft pick and a 3rd round draft pick, if we're smart and manage out assets correctly.