Jump to content

Jets highly unlikely to sign Anderson


choon328
 Share

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  But again, that gets washed out by sample size.  His catch rate being remarkably consistent can't really be pinned on his QB's.  It simply can't. 

Definitely not all of it, but a deep threat with inconsistent QB play will have a lower rate.

I'd take Mike Evans and his 57% rate any day.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Lol. Anderson could easily be #1 in that situation. He has been. 

4th and 15, gotta have it. How you ranking it? 

 

Either way, I’d rather NOT give him 15million but the alternative plan of using Vyncint Smith instead and counting on a 2nd/3rd round rookie is a little scary. Only way I feel OK with that is if the oline was significantly better and Griffin and Hernon are healthy the whole season. A lot of if’s. Either way is a gamble. 

Thumbs up. We could spend $18 million on Amari Cooper. Can we all deal with all the dropped passes. he drops a bunch of them. It's always a gamble.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, genot said:

Alshon Jeffery hasn't been as productive on a team with a more polished QB, and certainly a better o-line. Go look.Check out sanders career numbers. His first four years, he was not as productive as Anderson. Green is an injury prone, 32 yr old. Tyrell Williams hasn't been as productive as anderson, even with a more seasoned QB's and better o-lines.

But Alshon Jeffery showed that he was a #1 before that contract and played like a #1 WR. Sanders is a good argument for those RA Hopefuls but that means that you have to pay him top 15 WR money before he shows it. Sanders was not given top 15 WR money until after he performed. AJ Green is a top 5 WR in the NFL when healthy... sure he hasn't been the last 2 years but RA will never be as good as AJ was... Tyrell Williams showed he could be a #1 WR when AB left... then got hurt...

RA has never shown he could carry the load... all of these WR you listed showed they could carry the load at one point in their career, accept Tyrell Williams and Parker... 

I just don't think he is even close to that level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The point is its quite clear that not only was their QB play horrific, but they also had exactly zero other receivers to target.

That hasn't been the case here.  

Rate is rate, but when you're getting triple covered, it plays a role.  I don't know about you, but I haven't seen Anderson get treated like the target monster Hopkins is at any point in his career.

Hopkins wasn't triple covered.

The biggest change was QB and you have to be a ******* idiot to argue that a significant improvement at QB wouldn't improve catch rate. I mean seriously.

Unless you are arguing that lots of targets = decreased efficiency. Like we'd exepct to see with a RB getting a ton of carries due to wear and tear. But I don't find that argument terribly compelling.

And jftr, i agree with you and would not give Anderson 15M, but his crappy catch rate with crappy QB's is pretty down the list of reasons why I wouldn't

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But Alshon Jeffery showed that he was a #1 before that contract and played like a #1 WR. Sanders is a good argument for those RA Hopefuls but that means that you have to pay him top 15 WR money before he shows it. Sanders was not given top 15 WR money until after he performed. AJ Green is a top 5 WR in the NFL when healthy... sure he hasn't been the last 2 years but RA will never be as good as AJ was... Tyrell Williams showed he could be a #1 WR when AB left... then got hurt...

RA has never shown he could carry the load... all of these WR you listed showed they could carry the load at one point in their career, accept Tyrell Williams and Parker... 

I just don't think he is even close to that level. 

Anderson at !3 mill, should be considered a complementary  piece. Some of those WR you listed if they were hitting FA this year they'd be signing for a lot more than that. Lets resign Robby, and draft an Alshon type receiver. Everything that we prayed Enunwa would become

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Hopkins wasn't triple covered.

The biggest change was QB and you have to be a ******* idiot to argue that a significant improvement at QB wouldn't improve catch rate. I mean seriously.

Unless you are arguing that lots of targets = decreased efficiency. Like we'd exepct to see with a RB getting a ton of carries due to wear and tear. But I don't find that argument terribly compelling.

And jftr, i agree with you and would not give Anderson 15M, but his crappy catch rate with crappy QB's is pretty down the list of reasons why I wouldn't

What is this fascination some people have with pinching pennies. i don't get it. I do get it, but to me its foolhardy. We lose Anderson over a few million and replace him with what.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CTM said:

Hopkins wasn't triple covered.

The biggest change was QB and you have to be a ******* idiot to argue that a significant improvement at QB wouldn't improve catch rate. I mean seriously.

Did you watch Texans games or something?  

And no, of course I'm not arguing that.  I'm saying Hopkins is a special case amongst the low efficiency camp.  The amount of targets and attention he got from opposing secondaries from the jump was insane, and not comparable to Robby Anderson's situation.  

And even still, his catch rate beat Robby's by about 4-5 % in that span.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, genot said:

What is this fascination some people have with pinching pennies. i don't get it. I do get it, but to me its foolhardy. We lose Anderson over a few million and replace him with what.

its not about pinching pennies, for that money you should get XXX quality receiver - a guys who gets open and can contribute. The argument is andersend doesn't give you that XXX- is a number 3 guy. number 3 guys is not worth tthat much money. pretty simple.

 

Then factor in you can get a guy off the street that will give you similar production - or you get a draft pick that can give you maybe less production but has upside to develop into somethign better. Is just about better roster management and development. Cant keep paying for trash. You pay guys that money that are worth it and give you production.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, genot said:

What is this fascination some people have with pinching pennies. i don't get it. I do get it, but to me its foolhardy. We lose Anderson over a few million and replace him with what.

Because overpaying inferior talent gets you into trouble down the road.

Think Trumaine Johnson's presence on this team didn't cause problems, just because we had the money to burn?  Of course it did.  Because of his high salary we didn't bench him until Gregg Williams came along.  That blocked the path for young Corners and also prevented us from drafting any with early picks.

Pay Robby, and all of a sudden you're no longer looking for a WR1 in the draft.  Because when you pay a player a bunch of money, you're operating under the assumption that you're "set" at a spot on the field.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

its not about pinching pennies, for that money you should get XXX quality receiver - a guys who gets open and can contribute. The argument is andersend doesn't give you that XXX- is a number 3 guy. number 3 guys is not worth tthat much money. pretty simple.

 

Then factor in you can get a guy off the street that will give you similar production - or you get a draft pick that can give you maybe less production but has upside to develop into somethign better. Is just about better roster management and development. Cant keep paying for trash. You pay guys that money that are worth it and give you production.

 

 

Can't keep paying for trash. I think that statement shows me where your head is at.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because overpaying inferior talent gets you into trouble down the road.

Think Trumaine Johnson's presence on this team didn't cause problems, just because we had the money to burn?  Of course it did.  Because of his high salary we didn't bench him until Gregg Williams came along.  That blocked the path for young Corners and also prevented us from drafting any with early picks.

Pay Robby, and all of a sudden you're no longer looking for a WR1 in the draft.  Because when you pay a player a bunch of money, you're operating under the assumption that you're "set" at a spot on the field.

Please don't compare Robby to johnson. Johnson is a lazy good for nothing who took the money and dogged it. I don't think Anderson has that sort of mentality. At least i haven't seen that in him.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Build a winning a consistent winning culture here. Winning changes everything.

Part of building a winning culture is rewarding players who performed well for you, It's a good message to send out to the team. You can't be stupid about it, but rewarding productive players builds a concept that their part of the jet family and we would like to keep you in that family as long as possible.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And perhaps draft more good football players to replace them. Yes.

How about we draft more good ones to SUPPLEMENT the few we have, instead of letting those few good ones go once it’s time to renew their original contracts?

That might actually lead to winning...

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, Patriot Killa said:

See ya! Best of luck to you.

 

CeeDee Lamb in April🤪

Amari Cooper in March.🤪

Would love to get CeeDee but I can assure he will be an Arizona Cardinal at #8 unless he's already gone. Kliff is all over that kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

look at the crap we have at QB and blame the UFDA for not carrying them...brilliant

 

FREE ROBBY!

I'd love to be eavesdropping on Gase and Douglas conversations talking about Robby. Douglas is a good football guy. My guess is he would like to retain Robby, but Gase is protesting. Just a hunch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Lol. Anderson could easily be #1 in that situation. He has been. 

4th and 15, gotta have it. How you ranking it? 

 

Either way, I’d rather NOT give him 15million but the alternative plan of using Vyncint Smith instead and counting on a 2nd/3rd round rookie is a little scary. Only way I feel OK with that is if the oline was significantly better and Griffin and Hernon are healthy the whole season. A lot of if’s. Either way is a gamble. 

90% of Jets fans would never rank him #1 on that list bc they actually watched football last season. 

4th and 15 is typically converted by an inside breaking route where the WR/TE/RB have to make somebody miss to get the 1st down since the defense forces the offense to throw it underneath.  Robby would be the last person you'd throw the ball to if you need someone to make a guy miss or break a tackle.  Try again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about we draft more good ones to SUPPLEMENT the few we have, instead of letting those few good ones go once it’s time to renew their original contracts? That might actually lead to winning...

 

 

I’ve long been an advocate of re-signing Jordan Jenkins.

 

It’s not JD’s fault Macc drafted like 3 decent players. Doubling down by paying big money to mistakes is not smart.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, genot said:

I'd love to be eavesdropping on Gase and Douglas conversations talking about Robby. Douglas is a good football guy. My guess is he would like to retain Robby, but Gase is protesting. Just a hunch.

Terrible hunch.  If Douglas wanted him signed he'd be signed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I didn't say he was a thug.  I said he makes bad decisions, which is true

I know you didn't. i just don't think the bad decisions he made are so alarming, that it should be festering with you so much. Not trying to be a wise guy with you, but we've all made some stupid choices in our lives. I know i have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 


Macc drafted trash so trash is what we have. Our best players are a $17.5M per year ILB and a Strong Safety.

I disagree with you a lot, but your a good poster, who makes good arguments. that guy was referring to Anderson as trash, which i think is beyond ridiculous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

How about we draft more good ones to SUPPLEMENT the few we have, instead of letting those few good ones go once it’s time to renew their original contracts?

That might actually lead to winning...

Exactly.  Otherwise you are in a vicious circle that never gets better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...