Rumor: Bears Trying Trade Up To #2 Using Khalil Mack

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

8.5 sacks in 16 games last year.

I'm sure there's an excuse or two but if we had traded 2 first round picks for him and he did that in year 2 for us jetnation would need to create a sub-forum for all the threads started about how much he sucks..

That's difficult to confirm given that Jets fans watch Jets games. 

People criticizing Macks stats who dont watch Bears games but only look up stats have no clue about his actual impact on the game that doesnt show up on stat boards. 

The fact that he's a potential trade piece for the Bears to try and move up to the #2 spot shows that Mack is more than a "8.5 sacks in 16 games" stat line. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The last time the Jets had a pass rusher, they went to the playoffs 3x in a 4 year period.  

Good point. 

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

How many Super Bowl did that get them? I don’t care about them sneaking into the playoffs. I want them to win a freaking Super Bowl before I die of old age or drink myself to death watching them try. 

You should care about playoff appearances, since you cant win or even make a SB without first getting into the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We haven’t won a SB in 50 years, and you’re quibbling over how impactful a pass rusher is based on how many SBs the Jets won WITH a pass rush?

Ask the Giants how important it is.

I dont know how many times I've heard that all we need is a QB/OL and somehow that will guarantee us a SB. Meanwhile building a good team around a below average QB got us to 2 AFCCG's. 

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

SB or nothing. A passrusher is useless toward that unless you have a QB and OL. 

You're kinda contradict yourself in your next comment. 

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A pass rush carried Eli’s sh*tty self to 2 rings.

Facts, though Eli was always better than "sh*tty", he was a good QB.

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

So did a good oline and luck. 

So, a good Oline and luck...not the QB? The point 80 is making is "so did" that pass rush. You just contradicted yourself. Not only did you just acknowledge that the pass rush contributed to these SB rings, but then you added the fact that luck was more at play than the QB, though you said that nothing matters unless you have a QB and a Oline. 

Well, the Jets havent won or appeared in a SB in 50+ years. However, super 37 was won despite the Bucs having Brad Johnson at a QB. But because of Simeon Rice, Derreck Brooks, Warren Sapp and SB MVP Safety Dexter Jackson. 

The Bucs defense scored more pick 6's (3) than Bradford threw TD's (2). 

The Bucs hid their QB behind dump-off passes to Mike Alstott, a solid running game and 5 picks by the Bucs defense. 

Look, what matters is building a complete team. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

8.5 sacks in 16 games last year.

I'm sure there's an excuse or two but if we had traded 2 first round picks for him and he did that in year 2 for us jetnation would need to create a sub-forum for all the threads started about how much he sucks..

Jordan Jenkins had 8.5 sacks for us this year and he isn't even in the same stratosphere of Khalil Mack as a player. The sack stat is so overrated. Mack creates a ton of pressure throughout the course of a football game. He's an impact player like Jamal Adams is for us. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Good point. 

You should care about playoff appearances, since you cant win or even make a SB without first getting into the playoffs. 

I dont know how many times I've heard that all we need is a QB/OL and somehow that will guarantee us a SB. Meanwhile building a good team around a below average QB got us to 2 AFCCG's. 

You're kinda contradict yourself in your next comment. 

Facts, though Eli was always better than "sh*tty", he was a good QB.

So, a good Oline and luck...not the QB? The point 80 is making is "so did" that pass rush. You just contradicted yourself. Not only did you just acknowledge that the pass rush contributed to these SB rings, but then you added the fact that luck was more at play than the QB, though you said that nothing matters unless you have a QB and a Oline. 

Well, the Jets havent won or appeared in a SB in 50+ years. However, super 37 was won despite the Bucs having Brad Johnson at a QB. But because of Simeon Rice, Derreck Brooks, Warren Sapp and SB MVP Safety Dexter Jackson. 

The Bucs defense scored more pick 6's (3) than Bradford threw TD's (2). 

The Bucs hid their QB behind dump-off passes to Mike Alstott, a solid running game and 5 picks by the Bucs defense. 

Look, what matters is building a complete team. 

QB then oline then passrush or CB. Without a QB and oline the team sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Bears are in basically the same situation as the Jets just one year ahead, but their trade piece can actually bring back a return.

You’d have to think Gase and Douglas have a realistic view of Darnold’s ceiling and will plan accordingly. The low-key most interesting storyline to follow this offseason is what they do at backup QB. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’d have to think Gase and Douglas have a realistic view of Darnold’s ceiling and will plan accordingly. The low-key most interesting storyline to follow this offseason is what they do at backup QB. 

You’re not suggesting that douglas took the job knowing he’d be replacing darnold the following year, are you?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

You’re not suggesting that douglas took the job knowing he’d be replacing darnold the following year, are you?

Not at all, but I think if they’re nervous at all about Darnold’s future, they’ll show their cards this offseason by either signing a legitimate backup who can take over the starting role or by going all-in with Sam. I don’t think Darnold has earned the right to be considered a sure thing at this point, and both Gase and Douglas would be wise to insulate themselves in the event Darnold comes down with yet another month-long ailment and/or stretches of awful play.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not at all, but I think if they’re nervous at all about Darnold’s future, they’ll show their cards this offseason by either signing a legitimate backup who can take over the starting role or by going all-in with Sam. I don’t think Darnold has earned the right to be considered a sure thing at this point, and both Gase and Douglas would be wise to insulate themselves in the event Darnold comes down with yet another month-long ailment and/or stretches of awful play.

if they do bring in someone like dalton, you have to wonder if they’re setting this year up to be a fitzmagic year if darnold falters and then they’re in the qb hunt for 2021, since any FA money should really be spent on protecting darnold and maybe keeping Robbie (probably not worth all that money).

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Imagine IF the Jets traded for Mack, we would be sitting here with no first round or 3rd round pick this year.  What a foolish trade by Chicago. Giving up that much draft capital is a disaster unless you’re targeting a QB, no other position on the field is worth it.  

It was foolish feeling that confident in Trubisky to do that. 

49 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It was foolish feeling that confident in Trubisky to do that. 

Sure, but imagine if the Jets traded for Mack like so many wanted to.  What a s**ty situation they would be in right now.  

Are there any people around here who were so into trading for Mack, that think it would have been a good deal now?  

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I expect them to go all in with Sam, spending money and picks on OL and WR and everything else they need around him to win with the backup QB job near the absolute bottom of the list. 

If Sam doesn't have a breakout year, the following year they'll invest in a backup who can compete for the starting job. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I expect them to go all in with Sam, spending money and picks on OL and WR and everything else they need around him to win with the backup QB job near the absolute bottom of the list. 

If Sam doesn't have a breakout year, the following year they'll invest in a backup who can compete for the starting job. 

Agree. They need to figure out what they have in Sam this year. One counter point -Some coaches do have a mindset that a starter being pushed by a strong backup makes for a better starter, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in someone to press him but with the same goal in mind - make Sam step up, rather than as a true plan B at the position.

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Rivers looked awful playing with far better talent than what is on the bears roster. 

Brady isn't going to Chicago. 

What's left? Maybe Jameis. Mariotta who sucks?

Bears know they need a long term answer at QB and trubisky isn't that guy. 

Well some here are touting this offseason as having historic vet QB talent for anyone interested. 

You left off the injured version of Cam, QBs don't need arms apparently.  Or Tannehill, because well

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Edit: after further review this source seems extremely questionable. This is most likely BS. Sorry.

Why on earth would Washington trade out of the 2 spot, where they'll have Chase Young sitting there.  Who most claim is a better prospect than Bosa a year ago?

For an older, much more costly Mack?

How stupid would this be?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Jordan Jenkins had 8.5 sacks for us this year and he isn't even in the same stratosphere of Khalil Mack as a player. The sack stat is so overrated. Mack creates a ton of pressure throughout the course of a football game. He's an impact player like Jamal Adams is for us. 

Again, if we gave up 2 first round picks and gave him a massive contract this fanbase would be in an uproar if he only got 8.5 sacks this past year. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Imagine IF the Jets traded for Mack, we would be sitting here with no first round or 3rd round pick this year.  What a foolish trade by Chicago. Giving up that much draft capital is a disaster unless you’re targeting a QB, no other position on the field is worth it.  

To be fair, Chicago thought they had their QB when they traded for Mack.  And Mack's first year in Chicago, Mitch looked like he could be something to build around.  At the very least, he looked a lot better than I thought he would. 

Would've been a horrible trade for us though. 

• Upvote 1