Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

Imagine this offense with OBJ, #11 pick on Ruggs/Jeudy/another WR, Enunwa, Crowder, Perriman, Herndon & Leveon.

Thats how you help a young QB heading into year 3.

Wonder if Browns would take our #1 pick next year and this years 2nd rd pick for OBJ.

We would still need to grab a top LT though or sign a stop gap like Peters.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I like OBJ, I want to explore getting him if he is available.

That price you quoted for us is utterly insane, as in god awful ridiculous.

Gotta give to get, though. Browns traded a 1st, 2nd and a guy drafted in the 1st rd just 2 years earlier (Peppers) for him. They arent going to give him away for a 1st and 4th rd pick, in all likelihood. 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

To me, I would have brought Darby in at that price. I wonder how JD goes through his process? I assume Williams gives his input as to whether a player fits his system and “personality “ of the defense. 

“While he has missed 20 regular-season games over the past three seasons, he has produced 32 pass breakups and six interceptions during that span.”

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

To me, I would have brought Darby in at that price. I wonder how JD goes through his process? I assume Williams gives his input as to whether a player fits his system and “personality “ of the defense. 

“While he has missed 20 regular-season games over the past three seasons, he has produced 32 pass breakups and six interceptions during that span.”

He may value durability? Idk though cause Lewis has an iffy injury history. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheMo said:

He may value durability? Idk though cause Lewis has an iffy injury history. 

True.  And, I know that Gregg Williams values CBs who can hit and make tackles.

One thought about who Douglas is going after.....We all know he "grew up" with heavy influences from the Baltimore and Philly front offices.  He's already signed two former players from Baltimore.  Do we think he's intentionally trying to avoid making it look like he's overly interested in Eagles and Ravens?  Guys like Darby and OT H. Vaitai seemed like potentially good fits here.  Vaitai was a little too expensive apparently.

10 hours ago, Barton said:

Imagine this offense with OBJ, #11 pick on Ruggs/Jeudy/another WR, Enunwa, Crowder, Perriman, Herndon & Leveon.

Thats how you help a young QB heading into year 3.

Wonder if Browns would take our #1 pick next year and this years 2nd rd pick for OBJ.

We would still need to grab a top LT though or sign a stop gap like Peters.

OBJ with Sam throwing him the ball is a top 5 WR again

Unfortunately the jets have zero ambition on offense regardless of the regime.  I’m expecting us to draft a CB at 11 and OT at 48 and Perriman and Smith start at WR

9 hours ago, Barton said:

Gotta give to get, though. Browns traded a 1st, 2nd and a guy drafted in the 1st rd just 2 years earlier (Peppers) for him. They arent going to give him away for a 1st and 4th rd pick, in all likelihood. 

Offer Adams straight up

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

OBJ with Sam throwing him the ball is a top 5 WR again

Unfortunately the jets have zero ambition on offense regardless of the regime.  I’m expecting us to draft a CB at 11 and OT at 48 and Perriman and Smith start at WR

I hope and pray it will finally be different this year......I think we'll hit OT, WR, RB all in the first 4 rounds.....maybe even double dip at WR.  This is the Draft to do that.

47 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I hope and pray it will finally be different this year......I think we'll hit OT, WR, RB all in the first 4 rounds.....maybe even double dip at WR.  This is the Draft to do that.

RB? That is interesting to me. Are you thinking  like late round flyer or like a 3rd? I really am hoping it's all ot and maybe 1 we in the first 4 picks

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

RB? That is interesting to me. Are you thinking  like late round flyer or like a 3rd? I really am hoping it's all ot and maybe 1 we in the first 4 picks

Might be able to grab a guy like Eno Benjamin or Anthony McFarland in the 4th Round (Jets 5th pick overall).  RB is a young man's position and the Jets may want to say goodbye to Bell after the 2020 season.  I think they'd like to have a middle round guy who can develop a little bit and start off in 2020 getting 6-10 touches per game.  RBs are available cheap in FA these days....Melvin Gordon for $8M a year, etc.  I could see the Jets drafting someone in April with the goal of pairing him with a cheaper FA in 2021 and moving on from Bell.

I wouldn't mind going OT, WR, Edge, OT, RB with our first 5 picks.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Offer Adams straight up

No way man. You don't trade away the HEART AND SOUL of our defense like that. He's younger than Beckham Jr. too while coming of back to back Pro Bowls and a First-team All-Pro. You trade the heart and soul of our defense in a young Jamal Adams and the entire locker room becomes divided immediately. 

Beckham Jr. is absolute pure greatness can go down as a top 5 WR of All-Time but if Darnold is the real deal, you can build around him as Brady's made all of his receivers better than what they are; if Darnold is our franchise hope you do not need to trade away the heart and soul of your defense for him..

Revis was my favorite Jet defender all time until Adams.

Jamal does it all. He's the perfect weapon for Gregg Williams to unleash because he  roams the entire defense. He rushes the QB. Roams the L.O.S and front 7 like an NFL Linebacker. He puts fear in WRs over the middle of the field. He makes plays and tackles behind the line of scrimmage for loss. Can guard against big and athletic TE's or dangerous quick slot receivers over the middle of the field and can be used in zone coverage as a Safety. His hitting power is Ronny Lott esque and his motor the way he chases plays down is special. He completely stops the run. Always around the ball, extremely athletic and is fearless and more importantly he's just now getting started. 

I absolutely loved Revis as he completely eliminated one side of the secondary and shut down #1 WR's like no other but Jamal Adams roams the ENTIRE DEFENSE and is pure greatness @ what he does and at this pace/rate he's going down as the most dominant Jets defensive player of All-Time as he's yet to peek nor reach max potential. 

Trade Jamal Adams away for Beckham Jr. and you then trade away the heart of this entire Defense moving forward and create an Adam Gase vs. Gregg Williams locker room divide amongst players too at the same time. 

16 hours ago, Barton said:

If it costs that much for OBJ then hard pass.

12 hours ago, freestater said:

Anybody heard anything on Everson Griffen? Do we even have the $ left to sign him? 

Per overthecap.com, we have $32M in cap space, plus can clear more by cutting/trading Winters and/or Avery Williamson.

We absolutely have the space to add Griffen and even one additional "big" signing, like Logan Ryan.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Per overthecap.com, we have $32M in cap space, plus can clear more by cutting/trading Winters and/or Avery Williamson.

We absolutely have the space to add Griffen and even one additional "big" signing, like Logan Ryan.  

I love OTC, but right now because of the delays in getting the contracts in they are way behind.  Most of the signed players contracts aren't reflected on the site yet.

Just looking at it, IMO the Jets have between $9-12M left with another $11M after June 1st

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

One thought about who Douglas is going after.....We all know he "grew up" with heavy influences from the Baltimore and Philly front offices.  He's already signed two former players from Baltimore.  Do we think he's intentionally trying to avoid making it look like he's overly interested in Eagles and Ravens?  

That would be very foolish of him.  So far JD has not given any indication of foolishness, please God let this continue.

I'd say much more likely that he is just maintaining what appears to be his process - assigning value for us to a player, if a deal can not be made at that number then moving on to plan B at that spot.

I'll add in, his history with those teams much more likely leads to him having a better understanding of what said player can & can not do. ... The value he assigns to these players should be more accurate than what a stranger would think

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, heymangold said:

54AAA9C7-6918-4AC9-9DBB-C6B76F9F9E45.png

We can't forget about post-Draft cuts/releases of veterans that might happen too.

I wouldn't mind if Douglas sits on his little stockpile of Cap space and waits for a very opportunistic player release in May/June and then goes....

make it rain money GIF

I remember the Jets pouncing on Pete Kendall several years ago.  He was an instant starting OG who was released because he wasn't a great fit with the coaching staff in Arizona.  Kendall was the equivalent of a guy like Van Roten being released and available for the taking.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Not sure if I’m remembering correctly, but didn’t Griffen absolutely dominate the Saints playoff game?

why is he having trouble getting a big contract?

He's still a stud... had that mental health episode couple years ago, but came back on fire.

I honestly think some of these guys are stuck waiting for the market to establish... It's possible EG's agent is saying "we're waiting for Clowney" to see how much he gets, so he can set his bar.... i'm sure there's an expiry date to that game - but with no OTAs around the corner, there's not much incentive to hurry up. 

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

He's still a stud... had that mental health episode couple years ago, but came back on fire.

I honestly think some of these guys are stuck waiting for the market to establish... It's possible EG's agent is saying "we're waiting for Clowney" to see how much he gets, so he can set his bar.... i'm sure there's an expiry date to that game - but with no OTAs around the corner, there's not much incentive to hurry up. 

I think there is an incentive that the players and agents are not thinking through so much right now...maybe.

Contracts now, especially including 1-year deals, are being signed with the expectation that we will still have a full season.  As time wears on, that may not be as true.  While salaries are going to reflect the actual games played, SBs generally do not (unless teams have changed that this year).  So if you sign today for one year with some amount of signing bonus, that's good for the player.  If you wait too long and teams start to be concerned about a shortened season, then they are most likely going to reduce the SB they offer...as they should.  If that's all true (and I am only guessing on most of it) then players would do well to lock in whatever SB they can now.