Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think there is an incentive that the players and agents are not thinking through so much right now...maybe.

Contracts now, especially including 1-year deals, are being signed with the expectation that we will still have a full season.  As time wears on, that may not be as true.  While salaries are going to reflect the actual games played, SBs generally do not (unless teams have changed that this year).  So if you sign today for one year with some amount of signing bonus, that's good for the player.  If you wait too long and teams start to be concerned about a shortened season, then they are most likely going to reduce the SB they offer...as they should.  If that's all true (and I am only guessing on most of it) then players would do well to lock in whatever SB they can now.

agreed - i've been thinking the same thing. Guys like Clowney who are "Waiting out the market" are playing with fire... if things continue to get worse (which they probably will) conversations will start trending in the "no season, no point" direction with GMs... Clowney and others will be sitting on the couch without a contract.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think there is an incentive that the players and agents are not thinking through so much right now...maybe.

Contracts now, especially including 1-year deals, are being signed with the expectation that we will still have a full season.  As time wears on, that may not be as true.  While salaries are going to reflect the actual games played, SBs generally do not (unless teams have changed that this year).  So if you sign today for one year with some amount of signing bonus, that's good for the player.  If you wait too long and teams start to be concerned about a shortened season, then they are most likely going to reduce the SB they offer...as they should.  If that's all true (and I am only guessing on most of it) then players would do well to lock in whatever SB they can now.

Poole's agent  was brilliant in that regard.  1 year, $5M, but $4.5M was guaranteed.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Might be able to grab a guy like Eno Benjamin or Anthony McFarland in the 4th Round (Jets 5th pick overall).  RB is a young man's position and the Jets may want to say goodbye to Bell after the 2020 season.  I think they'd like to have a middle round guy who can develop a little bit and start off in 2020 getting 6-10 touches per game.  RBs are available cheap in FA these days....Melvin Gordon for $8M a year, etc.  I could see the Jets drafting someone in April with the goal of pairing him with a cheaper FA in 2021 and moving on from Bell.

I wouldn't mind going OT, WR, Edge, OT, RB with our first 5 picks.

I like Ayers and Gibson.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No way man. You don't trade away the HEART AND SOUL of our defense like that. He's younger than Beckham Jr. too while coming of back to back Pro Bowls and a First-team All-Pro. You trade the heart and soul of our defense in a young Jamal Adams and the entire locker room becomes divided immediately. 

Beckham Jr. is absolute pure greatness can go down as a top 5 WR of All-Time but if Darnold is the real deal, you can build around him as Brady's made all of his receivers better than what they are; if Darnold is our franchise hope you do not need to trade away the heart and soul of your defense for him..

Revis was my favorite Jet defender all time until Adams.

Jamal does it all. He's the perfect weapon for Gregg Williams to unleash because he  roams the entire defense. He rushes the QB. Roams the L.O.S and front 7 like an NFL Linebacker. He puts fear in WRs over the middle of the field. He makes plays and tackles behind the line of scrimmage for loss. Can guard against big and athletic TE's or dangerous quick slot receivers over the middle of the field and can be used in zone coverage as a Safety. His hitting power is Ronny Lott esque and his motor the way he chases plays down is special. He completely stops the run. Always around the ball, extremely athletic and is fearless and more importantly he's just now getting started. 

I absolutely loved Revis as he completely eliminated one side of the secondary and shut down #1 WR's like no other but Jamal Adams roams the ENTIRE DEFENSE and is pure greatness @ what he does and at this pace/rate he's going down as the most dominant Jets defensive player of All-Time as he's yet to peek nor reach max potential. 

Trade Jamal Adams away for Beckham Jr. and you then trade away the heart of this entire Defense moving forward and create an Adam Gase vs. Gregg Williams locker room divide amongst players too at the same time. 

Jets need to trade Adams now.  No way is he worth a $100 million extension 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, King P said:

Obviously questioning this because everyone claims to have an inside source, but I came across this. Fun to speculate ??‍♂️

I love how the dude states what is basically obvious and acts like he has inside info lol. Few names could be interchangeable, but it is 90% likely we end up with one of those 7 anyways lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/17/2020 at 6:43 AM, UnitedWhofans said:

This is a fun one in hindsight.

Joe D continues to play his game and no one else's.

Overall, despite a fanbase that panicked when Conklin, Glasgow, etc. all started getting signed I've been pretty happy with how the Jets have handled things.  They brought back the kinds of guys who should be brought back - Poole, Jenkins, Alex Lewis, etc. and all at low $$$.  Rebuilt the interior of the OLine with McGovern (probably our best signing) while adding Van Roten, Fant and Josh Andrews for depth.  Joe held his price on Robby Anderson while having Breshad Perriman on speed dial, saving about $4M per year for a similar player.  Swooped in on Pierre Desir when he was surprisingly cut and brought back depth pieces on defense like Maulet, Hewitt and Burgess.

There's no splashy move here so far.  No $88M deal for an ILB like Mosley, no signing of a $13M per year RB whose rap album just dropped.  Just a steady workmanlike approach to FA.  And with trade and free agent options still out there like Jason Peters, Trent Williams, Clowney, Everson Griffin, Logan Ryan, Darqueze Dennard, etc. the Jets continue to show patience while still having the ability to add some reasonable quality and depth prior to the Draft if they want to pull the trigger.

Year 1 for Joe D. is off to a decent start, and we haven't even had the Draft yet.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I love how the dude states what is basically obvious and acts like he has inside info lol. Few names could be interchangeable, but it is 90% likely we end up with one of those 7 anyways lol. 

Agreed lol.

Now the 1 thing I wonder about it is imagine if he really does have those bottom 4 in the same tier. If they're all available, who's he picking ?

I have this horrible feeling on the inside that he's picking Ruggs ?

21 minutes ago, King P said:

Obviously questioning this because everyone claims to have an inside source, but I came across this. Fun to speculate ??‍♂️

That's made up. lol

I'm 99% sure the Jets haven't even stacked their board completely by position yet, let alone created cross-position tiers.  And, you don't create position-independent value tiers until you've stacked BY POSITION.  If they have then A) They're stupid and B.) Joe Douglas forgot everything he learned from Ozzie Newsome.

In fact, consider this....If Marino is correct then the Jets have finalized their rankings of players at every position and done the comps across position to create their tiers a full 3 1/2 weeks prior to the Draft AND before the following schools have even held their "virtual" Pro Days...

March 31
» Florida
» Houston
» Southern Mississippi
» Washington

April 1
» Florida International
» Louisiana-Lafayette
» Miami
» Notre Dame 
» Texas
» Washington State

April 2
» Boise State
» Florida Atlantic
» Montana
» Purdue
» Tulane, 1 p.m.

April 3
» LSU 

April 7
» Liberty

April 8
» Auburn, 10 a.m. (LT Prince Tega Wanogho workout)
» Texas Tech
» Virginia

April 9
» Alabama

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, King P said:

Agreed lol.

Now the 1 thing I wonder about it is imagine if he really does have those bottom 4 in the same tier. If they're all available, who's he picking ?

I have this horrible feeling on the inside that he's picking Ruggs ?

This guy has absolutely no clue. I'm sure the Jets brass has their favorites by now but I'd assume the draft board hasn't been constructed yet.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, King P said:

I was in line at a Trader Joe’s, and the standing 6 feet behind me was Dan Marino. He was buying some potstickers and craft beer. And he told me that his cousin Michael was full of Shight! (My phonetic spelling). 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!  Awesome.

This essentially "proves" something I've said for years, if you are remotely good at reading the tea leaves you can easily pass as an "insider" to those who aren't super adept at "internet".

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That's made up. lol

I'm 99% sure the Jets haven't even stacked their board completely by position yet, let alone created cross-position tiers.  And, you don't create position-independent value tiers until you've stacked BY POSITION.  If they have then A) They're stupid and B.) Joe Douglas forgot everything he learned from Ozzie Newsome.

In fact, consider this....If Marino is correct then the Jets have finalized their rankings of players at every position and done the comps across position to create their tiers a full 3 1/2 weeks prior to the Draft AND before the following schools have even held their "virtual" Pro Days...

March 31
» Florida
» Houston
» Southern Mississippi
» Washington

April 1
» Florida International
» Louisiana-Lafayette
» Miami
» Notre Dame 
» Texas
» Washington State

April 2
» Boise State
» Florida Atlantic
» Montana
» Purdue
» Tulane, 1 p.m.

April 3
» LSU 

April 7
» Liberty

April 8
» Auburn, 10 a.m. (LT Prince Tega Wanogho workout)
» Texas Tech
» Virginia

April 9
» Alabama

Their draft board is set already. Pro days are pretty meaningless at this point. 

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a fun one in hindsight.

Joe D continues to play his game and no one else's.

Overall, despite a fanbase that panicked when Conklin, Glasgow, etc. all started getting signed I've been pretty happy with how the Jets have handled things.  

Year 1 for Joe D. is off to a decent start, and we haven't even had the Draft yet.

agreed

only moment where he may have blinked was with Fant.

Sounded like he get burned with the NE T as plan A

Somewhere in the Conklin, Glasgow, Williams, etc had to have been at least a plan B with also potential for a plan C as well

So whether Fant was a plan C or a plan D ... the #s seem like he may have blinked a bit with the money here. ... although still held on to the 1 year out clause

Thats cool though ... we have plenty of cap room and were, still are for that matter, desperate at OT

very happy with everything else

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3 former # 1 overall picks remain free agents:

• Cam Newton (2011)
  • Jadeveon Clowney (2014)
  • Jameis Winston (2015)

Pretty crazy.

Clowney is still a free agent because he's holding out for the best deal possible. He'll be signed soon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King P said:

Clowney is still a free agent because he's holding out for the best deal possible. He'll be signed soon.

Right but he's still going to settle and get less than he expected.  Just like Cam and Jameis are going to have to settle for the best possible backup job rather than a starting gig.

This late in the offseason is pretty late for those guys to remain unsigned, even with the COVID factor. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but he's still going to settle and get less than he expected.  Just like Cam and Jameis are going to have to settle for the best possible backup job rather than a starting gig.

This late in the offseason is pretty late for those guys to remain unsigned, even with the COVID factor. 

Which is crazy because both of them are too talented to not be starting IMO

On 3/30/2020 at 1:36 PM, Paradis said:

agreed - i've been thinking the same thing. Guys like Clowney who are "Waiting out the market" are playing with fire... if things continue to get worse (which they probably will) conversations will start trending in the "no season, no point" direction with GMs... Clowney and others will be sitting on the couch without a contract.

I think there will definitely be a football season, unless you're thinking this is gonna carry over into September or something. I think this will end in May/June.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, King P said:

So his sources could easily be everyone here who has said if the top four OL are gone its a WR?

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

I think there will definitely be a football season, unless you're thinking this is gonna carry over into September or something. I think this will end in May/June.

Only if people stop doing retarded things like showing up to Miami for a spring break.... NY's in full blown break out mode... if that happens to other cities in staggered fashion - you're looking at summer 2021 before things regress to normal. 

• Upvote 4