Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

At least they can be free clear by 2023...Lol.   $36 million dollar cap hit this year, that’s a monster number.  Goes down to $32 and $30 million over 2021 and 2022.   By 2022 his number won’t be that bad.  

Isn't 2021 supposed to be the revolution?  I thought the new CBA was coming.  Who cares what is number is during the strike/lock-out?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m going to guess that Goff will never vote to strike.  Lol...he’s a solid “hell yes” to any CBA presented to him. 

Rams had there chance & Goff choked. They have guys like Whitworth going on damn near 40 years old. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Brees is a great guy, and has done so much for the city of New Orleans. But as a QB, he can't hold Marino's cleats.

That opinion of yours that Brees can't hold Marino's cleats doesn't hold water. Take a look at the stats. Even if I didn't look at stats, and I just went off of my memory of watching them both play in their primes, I still couldn't say Brees can't hold Marino's cleats. The only people saying that are probably Dolphins fans and/or Pitt Panther fans.

Dan Marino Career Stats sorted by most yards in a season.

1771350984_DanMarinoCareerStats.jpg.b7fcdfe94a68b4e1c21440f16a71daaf.jpg

Dan Marino Career Stats in the Playoffs

2060937853_DanMarinoCareerinPlayoffs.jpg.ef75d78c4349cc076667141c245e5c5d.jpg

Super Bowl Championships: 0

Drew Brees Career Stats sorted by most yards in a season.

1008350356_DrewBreesCareerStats.jpg.cd38c6c1da46561009a6e5c0278c8bae.jpg

Drew Brees Career Stats in the Playoffs

663822206_DrewBreesCareerinPlayoffs.jpg.6dc50d8294e3976577d0fb57f776f71d.jpg

Super Bowl Championships: 1

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2020 at 2:39 PM, slimjasi said:

Not happening.  

BB is much more likely to sign a vet and try to make an improbable run to the playoffs.

He’ll be 68 next season, probably has a max window of 3-5 years, and is a win every game at all costs type of guy.

He is 55 wins behind Shula, it is possible he catches him

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

That opinion of yours that Brees can't hold Marino's cleats doesn't hold water. Take a look at the stats. Even if I didn't look at stats, and I just went off of my memory of watching them both play in their primes, I still couldn't say Brees can't hold Marino's cleats. The only people saying that are probably Dolphins fans and/or Pitt Panther fans.

Marino's 84 season is the best season ever for a QB (IMO).   The passing yards record held for decades, the TD in a season held for decades.  It's just a different game.

I'm not saying they don't belong in the same conversation, (and I hate Dan) but he carried a lot of really mediocre teams to decent records.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

It was a different era for sure, but the fact that Marino only went over 4,800 yard one time and Brees did it 7 times is amazing.

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Marino played in an era where they were actually allowed to play defense and not be running 7on 7 type drills  disguised as games. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Marino played in an era where they were actually allowed to play defense and not be running 7on 7 type drills  disguised as games. 

Imagine Marino in 2019 throwing to Michael Thomas, Kamara,  and Jared Cook....

How is this even a question, I know bringing up the era argument get's redundant but the game really has changed THAT much over the past 30 years. Marino throwing for 5k in 1984 is insane.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, section314 said:

And he played on a Baseball field in South Florida as opposed to an air conditioned arena.  It's such a monster difference. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, rldev said:

Dan Marino > Drew Brees. Dan Marino is the greatest pure passer ever. And I hate him. 

They're in the same conversation.  Brees has the benefit of having a superbowl and the fact that he's been great for much longer than Marino.  Marino's prime was much, much shorter.  But Marino had the greater peak imo.

Brees's stats are like Peyton Mannings.  Skewed b/c he has consistently played in the most favorable possible situations for an O.  Not only was he always in a dome, but the team would literally skew all their spending to getting him the best skill players and Olines that money can buy..  This would lead to hilariously skewed teams with nightmare offenses and JV defenses..  Of course the second he didn't have that overwhelming advantage on O, you would a pedestrian year without fail.

Still, both are fantastic and if anything underrated.

On 2/18/2020 at 3:39 PM, slimjasi said:

Not happening.  

BB is much more likely to sign a vet and try to make an improbable run to the playoffs.

He’ll be 68 next season, probably has a max window of 3-5 years, and is a win every game at all costs type of guy.

Even if it means cheating...

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Always hated when we parted ways with Snacks.  Not like we could have used an impact DT.

Yup.  He was an easy guy to root for.  If he does retire, he had a really nice career to look back on.  8 year NFL career for a UDFA out of William Penn College.  Not bad.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Hael said:

They're in the same conversation.  Brees has the benefit of having a superbowl and the fact that he's been great for much longer than Marino.  Marino's prime was much, much shorter.  But Marino had the greater peak imo.

Brees's stats are like Peyton Mannings.  Skewed b/c he has consistently played in the most favorable possible situations for an O.  Not only was he always in a dome, but the team would literally skew all their spending to getting him the best skill players and Olines that money can buy..  This would lead to hilariously skewed teams with nightmare offenses and JV defenses..  Of course the second he didn't have that overwhelming advantage on O, you would a pedestrian year without fail.

Still, both are fantastic and if anything underrated.

Brees has had a wonderful career, but I would take Marino over Brees 10/10 times for many of the reasons you yourself gave - more talented pure thrower, more dominant peak (IMO, Brees has never been the clear-cut best QB in the league in any single season during his entire career), played in a much tougher era, played on weaker teams, etc. 

3 hours ago, rldev said:

Dan Marino > Drew Brees. Dan Marino is the greatest pure passer ever. And I hate him. 

I don't agree with the notion Drew Brees can't hold Marino's cleats. One could easily make the argument that Brees is one of the top 5 quarterbacks off all time. It's disrespectful to say Brees can't carry Marino's cleats. Think about it. Drew Brees is a SUPER BOWL CHAMPION, SUPER BOWL MVP, and he's statistically one of the best to play the game...Prime Brees dominates in any era.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I don't agree with the notion Drew Brees can't hold Marino's cleats. One could easily make the argument that Brees is one of the top 5 quarterbacks off all time. It's disrespectful to say Brees can't carry Marino's cleats. Think about it. Drew Brees is a SUPER BOWL CHAMPION, SUPER BOWL MVP, and he's statistically one of the best to play the game...Prime Brees dominates in any era.

Brees is the ultimate dome qb

On 2/20/2020 at 1:20 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it's overboard to say Brees couldn't hold Marino's cleats but the game has changed SOOO much since Marino played. Prime Marino would probably be passing for over 6000 yards playing in a dome in 2019.

I'll say, since Brees is the better QB....and yes, I was there during the Marino years.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2020 at 9:41 PM, playtowinthegame said:

Can't hold his cleats is going too far. But I never feared Brees like I feared Marino throwing the ball. He was just a better passer and never played in a Dome or when the dbacks couldn't get near the receiver. Brees is great, but he was never as gifted as Marino.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't get this fascination Jets fans have for trading their best player. Sign Adams to an extension ASAP.

He's a SS that's going to want 16+ mil on a team with no oline, edge, wrs or corners. I don't understand why people want to keep this guy so much. He wants to be paid higher than Mike Evans, Hopkins, Davante Adams, the highest paid corner in the league etc he's a luxury we can't afford with how piss poor our roster is right now. He also doesn't generate turnovers and his sacks are likely to drop with the addition of an adequate edge rusher. Hell of a talent but if we can swing him for a 1st and a 3rd we should do it in a heartbeat 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't get this fascination Jets fans have for trading their best player. Sign Adams to an extension ASAP.

In a nutshell (abridged version):

1. Adams' strong safety position is perhaps the least valuable position in the NFL  outside of special teams

2. Adams could potentially yield a couple of Day1/Day2 picks to fill more important holes on the roster like Edge rusher, WR, CB, and *ahem* OL.  

3. Adams will cost a royal fortune after his rookie contract in another year and the price would be detrimental to the Jets spending where it will be most needed.  Just not worth investing that in a safety when down the road it will impede the team's ability to fill other positions where talent is most needed.

4. Some say (not me necessarily) that Adams is vastly overrated and once there is a genuine pass rush, Adams will return to being a below average guy in coverage with the occasional blitz for a sack.    And anyone who won't admit that Adams is actually terrible in coverage is outright lying.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1