Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

Just now, TeddEY said:

What if this all means that Douglas knows this team is still far away from a championship, despite a strong finish against the bottom of the league, and he's not at all interested in getting locked into players long term that he doesn't want here long term, and this is both true and good.

More likely DOuglas is using th plan that his mentor Ozzie Newsome used. 

Unfortunately the rabid Jets fanbase will not allow that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

What if this all means that Douglas knows this team is still far away from a championship, despite a strong finish against the bottom of the league, and he's not at all interested in getting locked into players long term that he doesn't want here long term, and this is both true and good.

You'd hope that were the case. There are ways to communicate this message without saying it, which the Jets are consistently bad at as well. Right now, the fanbase is just hoping the new guy is competent. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

If true then he should have been shedding players last year and getting more draft assets other than just Leo.

Hey I have no issue if the mantra is 'we are going to build via the draft' but if so you have to pull a Idzik and get lots of picks and high picks.

I hope he didn't actually buy into the total aberration of a7-9 season thinking this team was not as bad as it was.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

You'd hope that were the case. There are ways to communicate this message without saying it, which the Jets are consistently bad at as well. Right now, the fanbase is just hoping the new guy is competent. 

Let's be honest. Jets fans are so jaded and loving misery that they wouldnt think he was conpetant until he was holding the trophy. That's their flaw

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

If true then he should have been shedding players last year and getting more draft assets other than just Leo.

Hey I have no issue if the mantra is 'we are going to build via the draft' but if so you have to pull a Idzik and get lots of picks and high picks.

I hope he didn't actually buy into the total aberration of a7-9 season thinking this team was not as bad as it was.

So Parcells is a liar

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Maccagnan was a scout who thought linearly and that mindset followed him into the Jets job. Douglas has the same type of background, just feels like he's more of a grinder/solid college scout that may be lacking the big picture 5 steps ahead thinking it takes to be a GM. It's not as if the Jets interview process is being run by high level people.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why are you owed an explanation?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree he should have traded Adams, but maybe he wasn't allowed to.  Maybe ownership intervened.  Maybe he believes Adams is part of the future.  I wouldn't be happy about that, but I certainly understand the lack of an Adams trade.

There's literally no one else who would have brought the Jets back a high draft pick.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Let's be honest. Jets fans are so jaded and loving misery that they wouldnt think he was conpetant until he was holding the trophy. That's their flaw

Indeed.  Think of all the super good GMs and coaches and players we've run out of town.  Let's make a list of them, we can take turns, you start.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Big_Slick said:

That's because they knew how to tank, unlike the Jets, but hey we've got that fantastic final game win over Buffalo to carry momentum into the 2020 season.

Give them credit.  Plus all that cap space.   Then next year they currently have a bunch more draft capital.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

I agree he should have traded Adams, but maybe he wasn't allowed to.  Maybe ownership intervened.  Maybe he believes Adams is part of the future.  I wouldn't be happy about that, but I certainly understand the lack of an Adams trade.

There's literally no one else who would have brought the Jets back a high draft pick.

If Douglas believes that Adams can be a key player in our success, I don’t hate not trading him. Douglas could be looking to build a foundation with Sam and Jamal as the only pricey pieces. Draft well around those two and build a core. I don’t agree with it but I can understand the mentality. But I hate all of this.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

who said I was

You're talking about how these messages are communicated to the fans, no?  Or the lack of it.  He doesn't need to communicate anything.  He just needs to make the team better, and that's going to take time.

If he, like you, and I, believes that Darnold has a long way to go or isn't the answer, then this is exactly the right thing to be doing right now.  Sure things up, stop the bleeding, but over-invest in absolutely nothing.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

That's because they knew how to tank, unlike the Jets, but hey we've got that fantastic final game win over Buffalo to carry momentum into the 2020 season.

They won 5 games it’s not like they tanked to 1 overall. Instead they did the smart thing. Unload dead weight and accumulate draft capital.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

You're talking about how these messages are communicated to the fans, no?  Or the lack of it.  He doesn't need to communicate anything.  He just needs to make the team better, and that's going to take time.

If he, like you, and I, believes that Darnold has a long way to go or isn't the answer, then this is exactly the right thing to be doing right now.  Sure things up, stop the bleeding, but over-invest in absolutely nothing.

Then we need to trade Jamal and officially undo what Mac did and generate as many assets as possible to PROPERLY build a team from scratch. Sam can still be part of the equation but we’d need to cost control other positions if paying him FQB money. 

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I think an overarching and fair assessment on the current state of the roster that isnt the typical PR spin, along with some brief insight into his long term vision would go a long way. I understand that's an unpopular opinion, but we're relying on a rookie GM without a track record to rebuild one of the worst rosters in the league. 

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

STFU already. All day with the same crap.

Go back on Twitter and get mad at them.... give us a break with the "its just entertainment"

UWF: "I'm going to insult hardcore fans, but I'm gonna consider myself a casual fan, but I'm also going to post on a Jets message board and lecture hardcore fans"

• Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I think an overarching and fair assessment on the current state of the roster that isnt the typical PR spin, along with a brief insight into his long term vision would go a long way. I understand that's an unpopular opinion, but we're relying on a rookie GM without a track record to rebuild one of the worst rosters in the league.

No one is coming to the microphone to say we suck, and we're not going anywhere next year.  No one.