Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

5 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Please, how many times have the Jets won the off season only to suck. 

A smart GM wins the off-season by filling his needs through both FA and the draft. As of right now, we still need 5 starters across the O-Line and have incredibly limited options that don't exactly inspire confidence.  Between that and the other holes on this roster, you're not going to fill everything through the draft.  At some point you do have to spend.  The Jets aren't taking 5 O-Lineman in this draft. That means we're going into this season with a line that might actually be worse than our historically bad offensive line from last year.  The job of the GM is to upgrade, not downgrade.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Doggin94it said:

And you guys thought trading Hopkins was a bad move for Houston? Look how they were able to replace him for so much less $$ with a basically equivalent player in Cobb. Bill O'Brien knows exactly what he's doing

(Note: "Basically" is doing a lot of work here. Also, this was entirely sarcastic, you animals)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pcola said:

You can’t fix this team’s issues in one or two drafts.  We’ve been waiting a decade for the playoffs.  How bad is it going to be when the NFL expands the playoffs but we still miss it because we only added 3 starters to a bottom 5 talent team.  We can’t draft an entire OL, playmakers on offense, pass rushers, and corners in one or two drafts.  A team this bad needs an infusion of talent.  

What other predictions you got after a day of FA?

We need talent?  Yeah, and we all know that.  

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Don't know why Robinson wouldn't sign here.  It's not like he has that many options.

Agree on Sanders, kinda.  I think he could be had for 10-11mil, especially after the contract Cobb just got.  I wouldn't consider that an over-pay.

The draft?  Yeah, thats probably where we're picking up our day 1 starter at this rate.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Robinson living on his 4th round draft pick salary through 4 seasons... if we offered him an yearly avg 1-2 million more than our competition, you bet he'll show up to sign.

I think we just have to acknowledge that some of these guys are being told by their agents to get top dollar from us, because the risk is higher. lot of these 25-28 years old still want to see 1 more pay day near 30... so they're being selective (to a degree)

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Don't know why Robinson wouldn't sign here.  It's not like he has that many options.

Agree on Sanders, kinda.  I think he could be had for 10-11mil, especially after the contract Cobb just got.  I wouldn't consider that an over-pay.

The draft?  Yeah, thats probably where we're picking up our day 1 starter at this rate.

I of course could be wrong but I've heard Robinson to either the Raiders or Bears much more than to the Jets.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

We've tried the high priced FA route, I'm fine with a lower tier player. I'd have preferred Peters for more per year on a one year contract. It won't prevent us from taking LT in the first if we have one sitting there.

I don’t get the acceptance of avoiding premium FAs. Good teams can do it, bad teams can’t  if they’re ever going to improve.

Look at today. We stood still and probably got passed by Miami. When they’re done taking 3 1st rounders and 11 other players in the draft we will be in their rear view mirror, and they have two more 1st and 2nds next year.. Buffalo widened the gap even further today, and the Patriots are the Patriots.

The mid tier approach has us looking like a 4th place team in the AFC East for the next couple of years.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I don’t get the acceptance of avoiding premium FAs. Good teams can do it, bad teams can’t  if they’re ever going to improve.

Look at today. We stood still and probably got passed by Miami. When they’re done taking 3 1st rounders and 11 other players in the draft we will be in their rear view mirror, and they have two more 1st and 2nds next year.. Buffalo widened the gap even further today, and the Patriots are the Patriots.

The mid tier approach has us looking like a 4th place team in the AFC East for the next couple of years.

So? They're not winning a Super Bowl. Who cares?

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

We got a new lineman today which is awesome. Go Joe!!!

Love the move. Best lineman on the team right now. Easy upgrade that cost nothing but fair price good piece to  build on as we go

I agree, he is our best OL.  But he is a swing tackle.  Let that sink in.

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

And Graham Glasgow changes any of this how?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

And Graham Glasgow changes any of this how?

The perception that the jets are keeping up, that the league should take notice, that the jets are relevant, that quality players will sign here.  

Like it or not, for the past 10 years the jets have been relevant mainly in splashy FA signings.  Many fans have grown accustomed to wanting - and needing - to win the offseason, knowing the regular season is ultimately a lost cause with a pitiful offensive roster.  

If you tell me that douglas targeted fant, ok, I’ll sit tight for now.  If you tell me they didn’t want to pay a lot for guards, ok, same deal.  I’ll buy into the system thing.  What is more curious and concerning for me, is how this could impact the draft.  Would they bypass Andrew Thomas if he’s not an OL scheme fit?  What about wills?  How are they evaluating the wr class, and which ones are they targeting?  My fear is that gase finally has a backer in douglas and the two of them enter the draft thinking they know more than everyone else and draft for scheme fit while bypassing superior talent.  

That said, douglas does thus far seem to preach patience like Ozzie, does very much seem cut from this cloth.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My fear is that gase finally has a backer in douglas and the two of them enter the draft thinking they know more than everyone else and draft for scheme fit while bypassing superior talent.  

Just out of curiosity, why is that a fear? If the scheme fit players win us more games, is that a bad thing?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

It wouldn't surprise me that the Trent Williams rumors start to swirl today. I would offer a 3rd rounder.

They NEED to do something here. Fant may or may not work out, I have no idea. But this Oline and more importantly Sam Darnold, NEEDS some good veteran players on the Oline. If that is Trent Williams, McGovern and signing Bulaga - then just get it the F done. Sam's been running for his life the last 2 years to the point where he is getting happy feet. If these guys are just stop gaps for 2-3 years - fine, who cares. The next 2-3 years will determine Sams future, in all likelihood. 

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The perception that the jets are keeping up, that the league should take notice, that the jets are relevant, that quality players will sign here.  

Like it or not, for the past 10 years the jets have been relevant mainly in splashy FA signings.  Many fans have grown accustomed to wanting - and needing - to win the offseason, knowing the regular season is ultimately a lost cause with a pitiful offensive roster.  

If you tell me that douglas targeted fant, ok, I’ll sit tight for now.  If you tell me they didn’t want to pay a lot for guards, ok, same deal.  I’ll buy into the system thing.  What is more curious and concerning for me, is how this could impact the draft.  Would they bypass Andrew Thomas if he’s not an OL scheme fit?  What about wills?  How are they evaluating the wr class, and which ones are they targeting?  My fear is that gase finally has a backer in douglas and the two of them enter the draft thinking they know more than everyone else and draft for scheme fit while bypassing superior talent.  

That said, douglas does thus far seem to preach patience like Ozzie, does very much seem cut from this cloth.  

I guess. If they add a few pieces this week and draft a few OL—the OT at 11 and, like, Biadasz or Cushenberry in round two or three, it’s a similar, cheaper path. Glasgow and Conklin are fine players, but hardly elite, irreplaceable guys. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Comments like this are idiotic.  It also brings out the very worst type of sports fans.  The utter tools that are either 100% happy happy joy all the time or the ones that appear to have little stake in things but are happy to lecture other people and tell them to relax.

Tools like this is what gets you awful football management year after year after year.

When did the mental status of sports fans determine the management of a professional football team? Oh yeah, never. Sports fans are forever like the passengers on a cruise ship. You have absolutely no influence on the ship's course, the quality of the food, or the weather. Either you like cruises, or you don't. But in the end, you're just a passenger railing like Lear at the clouds.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess. If they add a few pieces this week and draft a few OL—the OT at 11 and, like, Biadasz or Cushenberry in round two or three, it’s a similar, cheaper path. Glasgow and Conklin are fine players, but hardly elite, irreplaceable guys. 

It’s also fair to wonder if douglas plans on trading back from the 11 spot.  Say he’s targeting someone like josh jones.  Trades back to, say, 15, gets an extra day 2 pick.  That would give him 4 picks on day 2 to address center, guard, wr, cb, and even rb (my favorite underrated position of need).  

FWIW, so far the Jets have signed Fant and apparently have a strong interest in Phillip Dorsett. What do those guys have in common (aside from being JAGs)? Both are very athletic. This may clue us in on what the current administration values and starts to align with the Jets alleged interest in Ruggs. 

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

FWIW, so far the Jets have signed Fant and apparently have a strong interest in Phillip Dorsett. What do those guys have in common (aside from being JAGs)? Both are very athletic. This may clue us in on what the current administration values and starts to align with the Jets alleged interest in Ruggs. 

Would also be consistent with getting rid of Leo and not wanting to keep Jenkins.  Also will be interesting to see how this impacts the rbs they target.