Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If none of the top 3 OTs (Wirfs, Thomas, Becton) don’t make it to 11 the jets have to go WR

Agreed. The only realistic one out of those 3 would be Thomas who I would love. I just think Wirfs and Bechton will be gone before Cleveland picks and Cleveland will take Thomas.

In that case we better go receiver.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Agreed. The only realistic one out of those 3 would be Thomas who I would love. I just think Wirfs and Bechton will be gone before Cleveland picks and Cleveland will take Thomas.

In that case we better go receiver.

Becton could also fall due to idiots thinking he’s too big (like that’s a bad thing)

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What happened to Jedrick Wills? He mist have bombed his combine

He tested fine, physically. The issue with him is between the ears, apparently doesn't have the highest IQ and will have trouble processing complex blocking schemes in the NFL. A lot of teams have apparently taken him off the board as an OT and see him more as a guard. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PLO said:

He tested fine, physically. The issue with him is between the ears, apparently doesn't have the highest IQ and will have trouble processing complex blocking schemes in the NFL. A lot of teams have apparently taken him off the board as an OT and see him more as a guard. 

I honesty don't believe that. Sounds like something that a team who's high on Wills would say to push him down the draft boards so they can land him

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, King P said:

I honesty don't believe that. Sounds like something that a team who's high on Wills would say to push him down the draft boards so they can land him

Even if he ended up as a guard I'd take him at 11 if he were available. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, King P said:

The Combine is a job interview.  He does not help himself with his facial hair.   

• WTF? 1

6 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You don't pass on a guy like Jeudy or Lamb for a guard. 

That's fair but you'll not know that when you draft him - his upside is as a high level tackle in the NFL. The floor is as a guard. A better knock on him for the Jets is the lack of IQ given the schemes Gase runs offensively. 

50 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

You said ended up

Yes, but that's his floor outcome. Like when you pick him you don't know that's exactly what will happen because his upside is as an OT. Like he could "end up" as a guard, but he could also "end up" as a high level OT. If you think his outcome more likely to be a guard fair enough go WR at 11 than hope an Austin Jackson or someone else falls to the second. 

On 3/2/2020 at 6:05 PM, PLO said:

That’s a significant red flag

• Upvote 1

Tony Pauline's recent mailbag

Are there any legs to the Jack Conklin and New York Jets connection? What is their overall plan for free agency?
I don’t know what’s being said about the “Conklin/Jets” connection other than what I reported from the NFL Combine – Conklin is one of the top free agent targets, if not the top target for the New York Jets.

Additionally, I was told that there were a few teams who were concerned by my report from the Combine since they intend to bid for Conklin when free agency begins. And as I reported, teams expect the Jets to meet Conklin’s price.

Now – a lot more than just big offers go into this. How does the best offer match up when factoring in potential income tax brackets in the different cities? Remember – this was a big part of the reason the New York Giants lost out on Andrew Norwell to Jacksonville a few years ago. Who does Conklin want to play for? Who does he not want to play for?

The bottom line? The Jets are interested in Conklin but so are a lot of other teams.

As far as their overall free agency plan – they will attack the offensive line and would like to re-sign WR Robby Anderson. If Anderson gets too costly, they may turn away and prioritize the offensive line. In a perfect world, they sign Conklin, Thuney, somehow bring Anderson back, and get their center in round two.

Do you think the Jets will have a shot at getting one of the top four offensive tackles in this draft? If all four are gone and they can’t trade down, who should the Jets be looking at?
In my opinion, there are five really good offensive tackles in this draft with Austin Jackson being the fifth prospect that many people leave out of the conversation. I think at most, three are gone by the time the Jets are on the clock with the 11th pick.

As far as other positions in the first round – a lot depends on what happens in free agency and with WR Robby Anderson. There is speculation – and I repeat speculation – they could take Henry Ruggs with their first round pick, which is a mistake in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Samtorobby47 said:

What don’t you like exactly? 

Giving Conklin the bag.

Ruggs at 11.

Thuney I do like.

If all the top Tackles are gone (honestly not sold on Becton either so this includes him being the only one left) it has to be Jeudy or Lamb if one, or both, of them is there.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Giving Conklin the bag.

Ruggs at 11.

Thuney I do like.

If all the top Tackles are gone (honestly not sold on Becton either so this includes him being the only one left) it has to be Jeudy or Lamb if one, or both, of them is there.

What's your reservations about Conklin? I think he'd be an excellent addition to our O-Line, which needs all the help he can get. The injuries bother me, but I'm willing to overlook it.

I'm 100% with you on Ruggs. If we trade back and pick him, fine. But at 11? NO NO NO NO NO!!!

I agree with you on the last part. And I'm a fan of Becton. I had propped him up months ago and said I would love to see him on the Jets. However, that was before the combine and his stock has skyrocketed since. Love him as a 2nd round pick. But at 11? Not as much. Wouldn't take him over Jeudy or Lamb personally. But if JD takes him, I can't be too upset

7 minutes ago, King P said:

What's your reservations about Conklin? I think he'd be an excellent addition to our O-Line, which needs all the help he can get. The injuries bother me, but I'm willing to overlook it.

I'm 100% with you on Ruggs. If we trade back and pick him, fine. But at 11? NO NO NO NO NO!!!

I agree with you on the last part. And I'm a fan of Becton. I had propped him up months ago and said I would love to see him on the Jets. However, that was before the combine and his stock has skyrocketed since. Love him as a 2nd round pick. But at 11? Not as much. Wouldn't take him over Jeudy or Lamb personally. But if JD takes him, I can't be too upset

I think Conklin is going to get close to 19-20 mil a year which is wayyyyyyy to rich for my tastes, especially when you're essentially paying him in the hopes that he still reaches his full potential and stays healthy.  I suppose that's the price we pay for ignoring the position for so long, but I, personally, wouldn't make that move.

I would take Denzel Mims before Ruggs, and while that may be the unpopular opinion among experts right now, I'm not too fond of drafting Alabamas 3rd wide receiver in the hopes that he was just short on opportunities, ala Ardarius Stewart, in the 1st round.

Agreed on Becton.  2nd round if he miraculously fell?  Cool.  Project player at 11 who could literally kill Sam if he flops?  Not cool at all.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Giving Conklin the bag.

Ruggs at 11.

Thuney I do like.

I definitely understand the concern with giving a guy like Conklin big money with his injury history but he played a full 16 last year and is one of the best in the game. It’s a risk, no doubt. It’s a risk I’d like the Jets to take considering their desperation. It’s totally fine to take calculated risks from time to time, especially when you have a 3rd year QB who needs a wall in front of him and needs it now. The team probably does a better job reviving L Bell if they bring in the big man too. I’m all for it and all for shelling the big money out to get him. That’s just my thought process on it though but I do understand where posters are a bit turned off by the idea.

Ruggs at #11 is god awful. I love his speed and he may be even more effective in the NFL after seeing Tyreek Hill make a career off of his speed and deep routes..but nah..CeeDee Lamb or Jeudy if they do go WR.

I like Thuney as well but Glasgow works too. I think we are keeping Winters at RG so probably only attacking one G spot this offseason.