Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Like I said, I think the consensus is he goes OT in the first, but I doubt he has a list of 5 OTs he’s comfortable taking before he would draft a WR.  Also, the free agency period will define this some more.  

i am assuming that if wirfs, wills or beckton are there he will take him.  my question is if thomas is there, what if he is, say, the 16th best player on his board but jeudy/lamb are top 10 and one of them is there.  or ruggs.  we know what mccagnan would do, he sticks to his board and takes the best (defensive) player.  

the draft becomes more interesting if all 4 of the top guys are gone.  they can trade back and probably still get one of the top 3 wrs, and get an extra day 2 pick but they would really need to understand how to address the OL on day 2 if they go wr on day 1.  

35 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This

I’m not even sold on doing it for a 2nd.

Would be the Jetsiest sh*t ever to trade down, miss out on the Top 4 OT’s and Top 3 WR’s all for an extra 3rd round pick.

All depends on how the board breaks.  If all 4 of the top OTs are gone in the top 10, there is a good chance that all 3 WRs are still on the board.  In which casse, I would be in favor a a small trade back to add another day 2 pick.

An extra 3 will give us so much flexibility on day 2 or late in round 1 to move up if someone we like drops, and we still likely get a guy like Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb at 15.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

All depends on how the board breaks.  If all 4 of the top OTs are gone in the top 10, there is a good chance that all 3 WRs are still on the board.  In which casse, I would be in favor a a small trade back to add another day 2 pick.

An extra 3 will give us so much flexibility on day 2 or late in round 1 to move up if someone we like drops, and we still likely get a guy like Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb at 15.

whether the jets trade back from 11 will depend on 1) whether thomas or willis are available, 2) how much they value josh jones compared to the top 4, 3) whether they keep robbie.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

This. Being able to move around the board gives us a great advantage in getting "our guy". Browns have been doing this for the past 3-4 years and despite their horrible coaching are stacked talent wise. Pats move around the board a lot also.

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

whether the jets trade back from 11 will depend on 1) whether thomas or willis are available, 2) how much they value josh jones compared to the top 4, 3) whether they keep robbie.  

Agreed.  If a guy like Thomas or Wills is available, then I hope we just take the tackle and don't get cute.  Trade down scenario comes into play, in my opinion, if ther is an early run on OTs and there is nobody available at 11 that JD sees as an immediate startet at that postiion.  Only then do I conssider a trade back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Lith said:

Agreed.  If a guy like Thomas or Wills is available, then I hope we just take the tackle and don't get cute.  Trade down scenario comes into play, in my opinion, if ther is an early run on OTs and there is nobody available at 11 that JD sees as an immediate startet at that postiion.  Only then do I conssider a trade back. 

if the top 4 tackles go top 10 then it could be that the 3 top wrs are there, so they could trade back and still get one.  but i think wills or thomas will be the pick, teams will get antsy about qbs and i think the raiders will trade up to get jeudy.

• Upvote 2

On 3/7/2020 at 9:31 AM, section314 said:

Denver is #15. According to chart, going to 11 would cost an extra 200 pts. That would fit perfectly with their 3rd rd pick, which would give us 68, 77 &79 in 3rd. If we asked for their 2nd, #46, it would be 200 pts to the good for us. But, if they really want a guy......

Maybe something like getting Denver's 2nd but the Jets sending their 5th or 6th back?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Another thing to consider, and it may turn out to be a very important factor for us going forward with JD at the helm, is his pedigree. He learned the business in two organizations that usually are drafting mid to late 1st rd. They generally let the draft come to them, and as such are realistically looking at different type of guys. I know Philly made the big move a few years back to get Wentz, but that was definitely the exception for them. JD has seen GM's basically bide their time and so often capitalize on others mistakes. Hoping it will be something we can use to our advantage.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the top 4 tackles go top 10 then it could be that the 3 top wrs are there, so they could trade back and still get one.  but i think wills or thomas will be the pick, teams will get antsy about qbs and i think the raiders will trade up to get jeudy.

Although I find it highly unlikely, if we assume all of the top 4 OTs are gone, would there be someone left that another team would even want to trade up for?  if all 3 WRs are on the board, why would a team in the mid-low teens trade up.  Assuming 3 QBs plus 4 OTs plus Young, Okudah and either Simmons or Brown are gone, that leaves one of Simmons and Brown as the only guys that would seem to be worth it and I find it hard to see Simmons making it there so I'll go with Brown as the likely guy.  

Would any team find Brown worth trading up for in the 1st with Kinlaw, Chaisson and Epenesa also there?  Hard to say.  That's pretty much our worst case scenario.  I suspect we'd just have to bite down and take a WR.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Although I find it highly unlikely, if we assume all of the top 4 OTs are gone, would there be someone left that another team would even want to trade up for?  if all 3 WRs are on the board, why would a team in the mid-low teens trade up.  Assuming 3 QBs plus 4 OTs plus Young, Okudah and either Simmons or Brown are gone, that leaves one of Simmons and Brown as the only guys that would seem to be worth it and I find it hard to see Simmons making it there so I'll go with Brown as the likely guy.  

Would any team find Brown worth trading up for in the 1st with Kinlaw, Chaisson and Epenesa also there?  Hard to say.  That's pretty much our worst case scenario.  I suspect we'd just have to bite down and take a WR.

i think there could be a few teams that would want to trade up for a wr, especially if the cards take lamb and then the jets are on the clock with jeudy and ruggs there.  i do ultimately think douglas will have a tough call to make, b/c i think he will be tempted to trade back and nab an extra 3rd round pick but if this costs him wills or thomas, that's a decision he'll have to justify.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think there could be a few teams that would want to trade up for a wr, especially if the cards take lamb and then the jets are on the clock with jeudy and ruggs there.  i do ultimately think douglas will have a tough call to make, b/c i think he will be tempted to trade back and nab an extra 3rd round pick but if this costs him wills or thomas, that's a decision he'll have to justify.  

That's the gist of it right there. Grabbing extra picks is nice, but it can't be the focus.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, section314 said:

Another thing to consider, and it may turn out to be a very important factor for us going forward with JD at the helm, is his pedigree. He learned the business in two organizations that usually are drafting mid to late 1st rd. They generally let the draft come to them, and as such are realistically looking at different type of guys. I know Philly made the big move a few years back to get Wentz, but that was definitely the exception for them. JD has seen GM's basically bide their time and so often capitalize on others mistakes. Hoping it will be something we can use to our advantage.

I see it differently.  Looking back at the Eagles drafts of the last few seasons, I see a team that has been very aggressive on draft day.  Moving up, moving back, trading picks for players and player for picks.  Last year, they moved up for Andre Dillard.  Two years ago they moved back out of the first round when the Ravens traded up for Jackson.  I think we are going to see a very different mindset in this draft than what we have seen from Macc & Idzik, who were very deliberate.  No way of really knowing what to expect with JD as the top guy, but I would not be surprised to see a lot of moves during the 3 days of the draft.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

I see it differently.  Looking back at the Eagles drafts of the last few seasons, I see a team that has been very aggressive on draft day.  Moving up, moving back, trading picks for players and player for picks.  Last year, they moved up for Andre Dillard.  Two years ago they moved back out of the first round when the Ravens traded up for Jackson.  I think we are going to see a very different mindset in this draft than what we have seen from Macc & Idzik, who were very deliberate.  No way of really knowing what to expect with JD as the top guy, but I would not be surprised to see a lot of moves during the 3 days of the draft.

Others may want to substitute another adjective.? I'm ok with moving around in the draft, but there has to be a method to the madness. At least I feel comfortable that JD has seen how good people do it, and seen some success.

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

hey y'all great to read the hot takes here. question if the jets could trade for mahomes would you do it and how. thanks in advance for your answers

Why rehash the agony of not being in position to draft Mahomes in the 1st place. If we were in position to draft either Watson or Mahomes I'm positive Macc wouldn't have slid all his chips in on Hackenberg. 

Plus what teams would be stupid enough not go safety, safety with their 1st & 2nd picks? Teams can learn a lot of the Jets past drafts. It's  Analytics. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I always question "local media guys" when they mention names, they don't have real league 

contacts like Schefter & Rapoport.  Never heard of Van Roten but I'm hoping Douglas and

his staff find "under the radar" players who are on the rise.  And they outperform the contracts

we give them.  After the disasters of Revis & Johnson I think we're due

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

And the top WR would be a pretty good consolation prize. I still think it's Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy in that order. And I would take any of them over Becton.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 3/10/2020 at 10:49 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

hey y'all great to read the hot takes here. question if the jets could trade for mahomes would you do it and how. thanks in advance for your answers

No.   He is going to want an extension, and that's too much money to trade draft picks and pay him

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:27 PM, Jetster said:

Why rehash the agony of not being in position to draft Mahomes in the 1st place. If we were in position to draft either Watson or Mahomes I'm positive Macc wouldn't have slid all his chips in on Hackenberg. 

Plus what teams would be stupid enough not go safety, safety with their 1st & 2nd picks? Teams can learn a lot of the Jets past drafts. It's  Analytics. 

If we did that, then Mahomes or Watson would have been trash here. Meanwhile Adams would have been great elsewhere, but those people regretting that QB pick - saying we should have gone with the value pick at safety - would be conceding that Adams wouldn’t have been a great player if the Jets took him, and he was only in a great D situation after Buffalo took him at #10 or something. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:45 PM, Jethead said:

And the top WR would be a pretty good consolation prize. I still think it's Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy in that order. And I would take any of them over Becton.

Do you think it would be wise to take Ruggs over Jeudy or Lamb? Isn't Ruggs the last piece to a good offense to make it great, but Jeudy and Lamb are the receivers that would be consistently a bigger part of the offense? I think we need a Michael Thomas more than a Tyreek Hill - if we're talking best case scenario. Interested in your take as I could be dead wrong here.

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Do you think it would be wise to take Ruggs over Jeudy or Lamb? Isn't Ruggs the last piece to a good offense to make it great, but Jeudy and Lamb are the receivers that would be consistently a bigger part of the offense? I think we need a Michael Thomas more than a Tyreek Hill - if we're talking best case scenario. Interested in your take as I could be dead wrong here.

Jeudy looks like a young Chad Johnson 

Please draft him 

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I think Oklahoma's Pro Day is today....might have been yesterday.....so we can get some more feedback on Lamb

It was yesterday.  I didn't hear about any surprises so I'd imagine Lamb looked good and is still a top-3 WR.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, Augustiniak said:

Who would be trading up for one of the receivers when there are so many good receivers available in this draft?  I think the only way a trade back is possible is if a QB is there and a team moves up to get him.  I don't think that will happen.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, Augustiniak said:

I think it all depends on how Douglas has the second-tier OT rated.  He may feel comfortable waiting for Isiah Wilson, Ian Steele, Teha Wanagho or Matt Peart.  

• Upvote 2