Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

17 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I guess this is the classic agree to disagree situation.  I can’t fathom why anyone would want to trade one of the few draft picks we’ve got right, is one of the best players in the nfl and (believe it or not) is a leader of the team.

Because non of that has, nor likely will, lead to wins.  And, it's about to get a lot more expensive to do have said draft pick.

Oh, and it's not a draft pick we got right.  It's Macc's worst draft pick by a mile, when you consider that a league and super bowl mvp QB was there for the taking.  Yes, a worse draft pick than Hackenberg.

24 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I guess this is the classic agree to disagree situation.  I can’t fathom why anyone would want to trade one of the few draft picks we’ve got right, is one of the best players in the nfl and (believe it or not) is a leader of the team.

Who would you rather have on the roster moving forward: Jamal Adams or CeeDee Lamb?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Douglas seems to know what's plainly obvious to most of us.  Nothing they could have done in FA was going to make them a contender this year, so what's the point?  We should be counting on those four picks.  They're the future and the only actual opportunity for this team to be good going forward.

Or, did you believe this team was a right tackle away from the playoffs?

So your theory is - let’s not even try.  

Yes, I wanted to go to the playoffs - with almost half the league now getting in they certainly had a shot if we tried.

Instead it seems we’re basically tanking.  

What’s most sad is our fans seem to be celebrating this fact.

One thing that is getting overlooked is Douglas hasn't cut Winters
or Williamson.  If he did release them that would free up another
13-14 million in cap space.  Is he going to make a run at Clowney???

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The first combo. But would Jamal get us a top 15 pick?

Therein lies the rub! You can’t say he’s a $16+ mil franchise player *and* also say you can’t get a top 15 pick for him. Someone is going to draft Xavier McKinney and Grant Delpit in the first round this year. Is Jamal better than those players or no? 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Therein lies the rub! You can’t say he’s a $16+ mil franchise player *and* also say you can’t get a top 15 pick for him. Someone is going to draft Xavier McKinney and Grant Delpit in the first round this year. Is Jamal better than those players or no? 

In my opinion, yes he is. 

• Upvote 1

Jamal Adams is literally the most overrated player in the league.

This is not a 'oh he hates jamal' comment.  It is a true belief. 

For the amount of press he gets, the accolades, for the difference he makes in a football game.

He is at the utter apex of his peak value right here and now.  This is why people are talking about dealing him.

However, for the loyal Jamal supporters no worries at all.  He will be here long term, he will get that massive contract most people feel he deserves.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Jamal Adams is literally the most overrated player in the league.

This is not a 'oh he hates jamal' comment.  It is a true belief. 

For the amount of press he gets, the accolades, for the difference he makes in a football game.

He is at the utter apex of his peak value right here and now.  This is why people are talking about dealing him.

However, for the loyal Jamal supporters no worries at all.  He will be here long term, he will get that massive contract most people feel he deserves.

JJ Watt is the most overrated player in the game.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Help me understand how he's good for the culture?  Do people really buy his rah rah nonsense?  You'd think that the moment he whined like a 4-year-old because there was a rumor he might get traded, or previously, the moment he blamed everyone else for a bad season, that people would see through his BS as totally self flagellating.  Also, I'm personally tired of only having guys who "don't show up in the stat sheets."  Maybe if we had a few guys who did show up in the stat sheets, we'd win more games.

But, most importantly, help me understand this.  You want to pay him a bunch of money when the team's no good, only to ask him to play for less money or get rid of him when the team actually is good?  How is that smart management, when you could potentially trade him for some chips that may accelerate the team actually becoming good?

- Culture 

Listen, Jamal is a bit of drama queen for sure. Constantly chirping and popping off on social media... as are most high profile players his age. 

The reason I say he's good for culture is that he's high effort, high football IQ, is clearly driven to be great and I like his emotion on the field. I like that he's visibly angry when we give up a key first down or lose a game and visibly happy after a big stop or when we win. I enjoy that he gives a sh*t. Even his antics around possibly getting traded indicate to me that he wants to stay - he's pouting, he's arrogant, but the context of what he's saying is "how dare you think about trading me!?". He's arrogant and childish, but I know he cares about winning and cares about his reputation on the field. He wants to be great.

Jamal isn't Mo Wilkerson or Sheldon Richardson. He took his benching from Greg Williams and came back motivated, angry and played well.

Robby Anderson can barely put a sentence together and signed a mediocre two-year contract to go play with a team with absolutely nobody at quarterback - likely a rookie. 

Culturally, I think he's someone that sets a good example, even if he isn't 'perfect' with his chatter about being traded or his rah rah shtick. He clearly studies a lot of film, practices hard, plays with reckless abandon and expects a lot of himself. That's a football culture I can get behind. 

- 'He doesn't show up in the stats'.

I'd like him to have more turnovers forced for his contract demands. We're in agreement there.

But if you watch every game, you can't tell me you don't see him flying around making plays both against the run and pass. I thought he was a liability in pass coverage as a rookie, but he has greatly improved since then and I trust him out there now on third down. More than most on our team, he's the guy that makes the read on the screen play in the flat, or is less likely to bite on the play action. 

I just can't understand how anyone who actually watches this defense play can minimize his impact. It's an entirely different question to say should any team pay a safety $15 mil a year. Part of me says if it isn't Sean Taylor or Ed Reed? Then no. You shouldn't. But let's look at the context here - we've got a healthy amount of cap room, Jamal is under 25, and he's clearly one of our best players. Are we built correctly if a safety is one of our elite players? No, we're not - nobody here really disputes that. That's why we fired our GM and hired a new one.

But unless someone comes in with a truly great haul of draft picks in exchange for Jamal - akin to Minkah Fitzpatrick - then I'm keeping Jamal. Who else is there to pay right now? 

Lastly, NFL contracts are not MLB contracts. This isn't going to be the AROD deal. We can set it up that Jamal gets paid very well for three to four years and have a built in escape route after that, like most NFL contracts have, even for stars. Over that time we can build correctly: through the draft, prioritizing offensive lineman, receiving threats, cornerbacks and edge players. And just as those players are coming into their contract negotiation years we can talk to Jamal about restructuring, cut him or trade him. 

The wisdom of drafting him over Mahomes, Lattimore, hell even Ryan Ramczyk (spelling?) at the end of that round is moot. We all know you don't draft safeties that high not named Sean Taylor. I get it. It was a bad move. But Jamal is a good player. He is one of the best on our team and one of the best safeties in the league. What's the goddam rush to get rid of him? Just because we chose him over some better players several years ago you have to move him now? What does that accomplish? 

The real 'fix' to the "Jamal Adams problem" was getting a new GM. A GM that won't draft 3 techniques and safeties at pick 6. Hopefully, that's what we did by sh*tcanning Mac and hiring Joe D.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not that PFF is exactly winning over hearts here lately(and I don't really care much for them either) but they currently have us as a top 10 most improved team so far in FA.  Apparently their grading essentially had Robby for Perriman as a wash.

And so does anyone else with a brain

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What I don’t think you understand is how much of a crap shoot the draft is. Jamal Adams is elite safety-those are the facts. People who get paid to watch this stuff made him all pro for reason

Here is a question. Which player drafted between picks 3 and 10 last year would you  trade Jamal for? I’m certain every Jets fan on earth would prefer Jamal to Quinnen Williams right now. 

12 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

In my opinion there’s a large segment of Jet fans who won’t be happy until the entire roster look like Sam Darnold

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It is fair to have an opinion but that opinion can be such a bad take. 

Do you truly believe a large portion of people watching the NFL of all sports want their team to be white at the expense of good players, simply because... "racism" ?

I'm fairly sure I'm interpreting your comment correctly, I could be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

No doubt, but we want to be competitive next year and we are going into the draft with an awful lot of needs. 

That's because our last two GM's crapped the bed on over 80 percent of their draft picks and FA signings.

Did you think Douglas would come in and make us a viable playoff contender in one year?

• Upvote 1