Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

38 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

After seeing what the market is for paying safeties Jamal is going to be in for an unpleasant surprise.

This offseason more so sent the market for Mayes and less so for Jamal as the top two safeties never hit the market and received the franchise tag. Meanwhile the mediocre one like HaHa received some haha contracts. Jimmy Ward received $9 mil and McCourty got $11.5 M. 

23 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

What if we trade Adams away and our draft pick ends up being the next Dee milliner? Darron Lee? Quinnen couples, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Wilson, Vernon gholston, mark sanchez, Leonard Williams? There are many more ways for us to lose by trading Adams than to win.

FFS why are people so worried about if the draft picks fail?  That's a concern for every draft pick, every draft.  If they fail, they fail.  You still have to build thru the draft.  

We've sucked WITH Jamal and still need a lot of help at premium positions.  That much we know.  Time to try something else.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

After seeing what the market is for paying safeties Jamal is going to be in for an unpleasant surprise.

And what does youre crystal ball say that Adams wants, what is an unpleasant surprise for him?

Darqueze Dennard back on the market. Deal with Jax has fallen through.

I'd like to see him in Green. Loved him coming out in the draft.

He hasn't played up to expectations, but he is a good corner. Very physical and good in press-man coverage.

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, Lurker89 said:

Anybody travel over to the Panthers boards to see what they think of RA?

Just went to some of their forums, which was fun to see how other fans view their teams.  From what I gather:  Some are happy as they see him as a deep threat, #2 WR and a perfect complement to Moore.  Some feel it pushes out Samuels.  Most of the discussions are about Bridgewater and whether Anderson can be utilized by him considering Bridgewater's stats from last year (ranked 39th in yards per attempt).  But the best replies were about the confusion with what the front office is doing with this move.  There seems to be a bunch of fans on the "tank the season" band wagon (perhaps for Lawerence).  They are confused because they either wanted to use the money on defense (I believe they have little cap space) or do not want players that could help them win.

Same as here, there some that see him as a good signing and a good player, while others wanted to spend the money differently. Overall though, they see him as a good player, but differ on whether it's a good addition to the team.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

FFS why are people so worried about if the draft picks fail?  That's a concern for every draft pick, every draft.  If they fail, they fail.  You still have to build thru the draft.  

We've sucked WITH Jamal and still need a lot of help at premium positions.  That much we know.  Time to try something else.  

Partially agree.  I've always been of the mindset that a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.  It's hard to trade away a KNOWN quantity and an elite player (regardless of position) for some unknowns.  The Jets just aren't in a position to trade away great players for lottery tickets.  Now, with that said....I haven't seen Douglas Draft yet.  If his batting average is significantly better than Macc's (and it better be!) then getting a couple picks (say a 1st and 4th) for Jamal could be worth it.

The Cowboys have sucked in a bad division while having an elite OLine, star RB, good defense, solid WRs and a very good QB.  The fact that the Jets sucked WITH Jamal says more about every other position than it does Adams.  The Jets D was Top 10 last year without a CB1 and with no threatening Edge rusher.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did he just fall off a cliff last season?  I feel like he should have been a top FA but you barely heard about him and he only signed a 1 year deal? 

• Upvote 1

If I'm not mistaken dennard is a slot corner which I believe Poole also is. Not that I mind bringing in extra talent I just don't think our secondary would be set with the signing

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

What if we trade Adams away and our draft pick ends up being the next Dee milliner? Darron Lee? Quinnen couples, Calvin Pryor, Kyle Wilson, Vernon gholston, mark sanchez, Leonard Williams? There are many more ways for us to lose by trading Adams than to win.

Obviously that would be bad, but he would draft a cb line backer or safety  in round 1. Well maybe cb but who cares. Adam over bloated contract is stupid. You dont pay those guys who have another cheaper option...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Get this guy in here and our secondary is set. He was gonna do 3 years for $13.5 million. We can do that no problem.

I like Dennard too but let's keep our eye on the ball here.  There are apparently 3 established veteran OTs out there that Joe D should be looking at from various perspectives.  Trent Williams, Jason Peters and Tyron Smith.....each should have different costs but Douglas should be evaluating each of them for fit, cost and longevity on the Jets.  In other words, Peters checks the box for one season only....still need to draft a LT pretty high.  Tyron Smith solves LT for at least 3-4 years and takes that need off the board for a Day 1 or Day 2 pick.  Williams is probably somewhere in the middle.  I'm still not 100% sold on him as a longterm answer but he'd certainly check the LT box for a bit.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did he just fall off a cliff last season?  I feel like he should have been a top FA but you barely heard about him and he only signed a 1 year deal? 

Yep, very strange. 

The 1-year deals make sense for some of these guys but it seems like the market is going to get over-saturated.  Too many guys are going to look to cash in off a "show me" season and it might backfire on them a bit....

13 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

If I'm not mistaken dennard is a slot corner which I believe Poole also is. Not that I mind bringing in extra talent I just don't think our secondary would be set with the signing

He’s played mostly outside but would be better inside. He’s still solid and could start here and give us depth at a relatively low price. He’d help settle our CB situation and we could focus on other positions during the draft. An average secondary is such an upgrade for us.

8 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Having talked with coaches on the defensive side of the ball for the jets, i would say the attributes we're looking for most in corners is ability to change direction and speed.  Greg is unique with how he plays his corners in the sense that he would prefer little to no back pedaling at all from his secondary players.  

This is unique in the sense that traditionally corners were told to take 2 read steps, then back pedal, and open their hips in either a zone or man turn when the WR breaks their cushion.   Greg believes back pedaling is inefficient and outdated so he routinely will play his corners in an off zone look allowing them to take two read steps then either turn and run or break up on the pass.  Also why he will routinely play his safeties around 18-22 yds off the ball when they are in coverage.  

It all goes with how the coaches view Dennards Skills set, I would think a better zone corner would be more of a fit here than a press-man cover corner.  But his press skills will play into GW's preference for cover 2. 

Real question here.

are you actually Wayne Chrebet lol? You know a ton about ball and I just get this feeling?