A Realistic Plan

BettyBoop

While it's likely the Jets will have $90mm in cap space, it seems most posters think that number is close to $900mm.  Sign Conklin, Amari Cooper, Judon, Scherff, and Yannick!  With what money???  The $90mm will shrink after Douglas re-signs Jenkins, Poole, Beachum and others.  The more realistic plans is as follows:

• The biggest splash free agents are more likely to be Thuney (#1a priority), Glasgow (#1b priority), Bud Dupree, and Byron Jones.  
  • Tier 2-3 WR like Funchess and Perryman could be given one year prove it deals.

While none of these guys will be wearing gold jackets in Canton some day, they will fill several critical holes at reasonable prices with young guys.  But clearly it won't be enough.  The draft will hopefully look like this;

• 1st round;  Beckton or Wills, LT 
  • 2nd round; Gabriel Davis, WR.  This is the key round for Douglas.  He desperately needs to find his Deebo Samuel in this round.  There are plenty of options and he needs to nail it.
  • 3rd round; Cushenberry, C
  • 3rd round; AJ Terrell, CB
  • 4th round; Cam Akers, RB
  • 5th round; Calvin Throckmorten, OL

In nine or so months we will know if we're in for six wonderful or six dreadful years.

50 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

While it's likely the Jets will have $90mm in cap space, it seems most posters think that number is close to $900mm.  Sign Conklin, Amari Cooper, Judon, Scherff, and Yannick!  With what money???  The $90mm will shrink after Douglas re-signs Jenkins, Poole, Beachum and others.  The more realistic plans is as follows:

• The biggest splash free agents are more likely to be Thuney (#1a priority), Glasgow (#1b priority), Bud Dupree, and Byron Jones.  
  • Tier 2-3 WR like Funchess and Perryman could be given one year prove it deals.

While none of these guys will be wearing gold jackets in Canton some day, they will fill several critical holes at reasonable prices with young guys.  But clearly it won't be enough.  The draft will hopefully look like this;

• 2nd round; Gabriel Davis, WR.  This is the key round for Douglas.  He desperately needs to find his Deebo Samuel in this round.  There are plenty of options and he needs to nail it.

In nine or so months we will know if we're in for six wonderful or six dreadful years.

Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennesee and Harris at C are not making it to #68. Aint happening. If you want a top tier C, you best take one in the 2nd. 

Conversely a guy like Davis will most likely be there in the 4th. maybe even an UDFA. I'm not impressed but admittedly I only know a little about him. I'm not using my second on him at the moment though. 

I like Throckmorton exactly where you have him. 

Its better to nail down the o line in the first 2 picks and grab the receivers in the 3rd. RB and CB can wait imo. 

Not bad over all though.  just my 2 cents :) 

• Upvote 1

I think you may need to get even more realistic with the FA signings. Thuney, Beachum, Jenkins, Poole, Glasgow Dupree and B.Jones is around 70mil right there, probably more. If the Jets extend Jamal, throw on another 8mil (depending on how its structured). Then there are the lower level free agents and backups Burgess, Hewitt, Maulet, Lewis etc. and of course you have to set aside some money for rookie signings and some extra cap room going into the season just in case. 

I don't think they re-sign Poole AND go after a top CB FA.

I don't think they re-sign Jenkins AND go after a top Edge FA. 

I don't think they get 2 top O-line FAs AND bring back Beachum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

$900mm???

Make up a perceived theme you’ve read here - that’s not true. Then use said theme to establish premise for pedantic diatribe. Wash, rinse, repeat.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell these types of WR's will not help Sam Darnold succeed in the NFL. 

We need an elite #1 WR. 

Grammar. Are you saying ‘no way in hell, they will not help’ or ‘no way in hell they will not help‘?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell these types of WR's will not help Sam Darnold succeed in the NFL. 

We need an elite #1 WR. 

Some experts are suggesting there could be as many as 20 1st and 2nd round graded WR's in this draft.  You could possibly be finding 1st round talent in the 4th round this year.

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets fans act like it’s there money. We have been way under cap for years. Great results, right? If you draft terrible, you gotta spend.

Its not about it being our money, its called the salary cap.  You can't sign everyone with less than $100 million.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Its not about it being our money, its called the salary cap.  You can't sign everyone with less than $100 million.

Obviously. Just seems like every year we wring our hands over whether a guy is worth $6m or $7m, or let a guy walk over a mill or two only to spend massively under the cap anyway.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Cushenberry, Biadasz, Hennesee and Harris at C are not making it to #68. Aint happening. If you want a top tier C, you best take one in the 2nd. 

Conversely a guy like Davis will most likely be there in the 4th. maybe even an UDFA. I'm not impressed but admittedly I only know a little about him. I'm not using my second on him at the moment though. 

I like Throckmorton exactly where you have him. 

Its better to nail down the o line in the first 2 picks and grab the receivers in the 3rd. RB and CB can wait imo. 

Not bad over all though.  just my 2 cents :) 

IMO, there are 5 Centers worthy of being picked before the end of Day 3 (Round 3).  Cushenberry, Ruiz, Biadasz, Hennessy and Harris.  There's a chance one slips to #68 (4th pick of Round 3), but it could be close.

21 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Some experts are suggesting there could be as many as 20 1st and 2nd round graded WR's in this draft.  You could possibly be finding 1st round talent in the 4th round this year.

I wouldn't wait past Round 2 to take the first WR.  And, when I say first I mean that I hope the Jets take more than one this year.  Rounds 2 and 5 seem about right.  We can get a 1st Round graded guy in Round 2....an elite, game-changing weapon.

But one thing for us all to remember....with all these fantastic WRs coming into the League, who is going to cover them?  Who will defend these guys?  We need corners to cover and an Edge rushing presence to keep a QB from getting the ball down the field to all this new talent.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Look, you can’t expect this team to fill all their needs with top flight guys.  If you want a #1 receiver (Jeudy/Lamb or Cooper) you are going to do it at the expense of the OL or Edge.  I think the best bet is to get decent WR in free agency and day two picks, build the OL and hope Darnld elevates the receivers they have.  I believe he can.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

IMO, there are 5 Centers worthy of being picked before the end of Day 3 (Round 3).  Cushenberry, Ruiz, Biadasz, Hennessy and Harris.  There's a chance one slips to #68 (4th pick of Round 3), but it could be close.

I have to look more into Ruiz. I'm not that familiar yet.

Imo it's not worth waiting to take that chance if C is a priority. I think the WR's in rd 3 are going to be better than the C/G/T's in Rd 3.  As deep as this draft is with o lineman, it's looking like it's even deeper at WR. I think the WR you find at 68 will be closer to the WR's in the second than the lineman will.  It's all about how ya look at it right?  

If it's trying to get a top tier T and top tier WR then you go that way in the first two rds for sure. Could you imagine if Justin Jefferson was sitting there at #48??? Then you can play around with the 3rds we have and see how it shakes out. As much as I want to come out of this draft with an impact WR, I still feel that o line is the priority and I'd go that way in the first 2 rds. 

Ya never know.  Maybe JD pulls off snatching Connor McGovern from the Broncs in addition to Thuney or Glasgow. That changes some things. But even then I'd be looking for another T in the second lol   I'm all locked in on the o line I guess. hahaha 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

You do know the Jets could sign all those players just gotta move cap money around to make it fit.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Where are you getting 90mil in cap space? 

The Jets have 56 Mil in cap space.

They can probably get to about $80 mil with a few cuts.  I don't think $90 is a possibility.  From Spotrac's cap calculator they could save $26mil with the following 6 cuts.

1. Released Trumaine Johnson
    (Saved: $3,000,000)
  2. Released Avery Williamson
    (Saved: $6,500,000)
  3. Released Brian Winters
    (Saved: $7,281,250)
  4. Released Darryl Roberts
    (Saved: $5,812,500)
  5. Released Josh Bellamy
    (Saved: $1,340,000)
  6. Released Quincy Enunwa
    (Saved: $2,400,000)
  • Upvote 2

They can probably get to about $80 mil with a few cuts.  I don't think $90 is a possibility.  From Spotrac's cap calculator they could save $26mil with the following 6 cuts.
  5. Released Josh Bellamy

Add in winters too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • WTF? 2

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I have to look more into Ruiz. I'm not that familiar yet.

Imo it's not worth waiting to take that chance if C is a priority. I think the WR's in rd 3 are going to be better than the C/G/T's in Rd 3.  As deep as this draft is with o lineman, it's looking like it's even deeper at WR. I think the WR you find at 68 will be closer to the WR's in the second than the lineman will.  It's all about how ya look at it right?  

If it's trying to get a top tier T and top tier WR then you go that way in the first two rds for sure. Could you imagine if Justin Jefferson was sitting there at #48??? Then you can play around with the 3rds we have and see how it shakes out. As much as I want to come out of this draft with an impact WR, I still feel that o line is the priority and I'd go that way in the first 2 rds. 

Ya never know.  Maybe JD pulls off snatching Connor McGovern from the Broncs in addition to Thuney or Glasgow. That changes some things. But even then I'd be looking for another T in the second lol   I'm all locked in on the o line I guess. hahaha 

I really am intrigued by Ruiz.  Everything I've read and watched show a 20-year old with big potential and very few flaws.  He's big, fast for his size, and has 3 years experience starting (1 at G, 2 at C).  I dont think he slips to the 3rd round but I think he's a solid pick even in the 2nd.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

5. Released Josh Bellamy

Cap room is great, but cuts create holes. 

Jets already have real needs at WR, CB, Edge, and the OL, and you're talking here about cutting two CBs, two WR (and letting another walk?), an OL, and a LB. Now, don't get me wrong, you can justify every one of these more likely than not cuts. The struggle is trying not only to field better starters, but also to have some competent depth. 

Douglas is going to have to display some magic in the draft, with undrafted FAs, and some lower-priced vets if he hopes to improve this roster in one offseason. I hope he demonstrates an ability to collect picks. My #1 favorite move at #11 would be to trade down for a lower first and a second. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

We need an elite #1 WR. 

yep.  i don't think the jets will improve themselves by getting guys on prove it deals.  they need a top flight receiver and can get that through the draft or free agency.  if they get cooper or even re-sign robbie, they can use a lower draft pick on the position.  it's all a balancing act.  same logic applies to the oline revamping although i think it's easier for an olineman to make the jump than a wr.

The Jets need to go all in to upgrade the OL in free agency so they can maneuver accordingly on draft day depending how the board falls when they're on the clock at #11.  The more options they have, the better.  I would hate to see Douglas take the 4th or 5th ranked OL ahead of a #1 WR because they "have to."  

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

I really am intrigued by Ruiz.  Everything I've read and watched show a 20-year old with big potential and very few flaws.  He's big, fast for his size, and has 3 years experience starting (1 at G, 2 at C).  I dont think he slips to the 3rd round but I think he's a solid pick even in the 2nd.

Sounds good to me. I just don't know much about him yet but your points sound like a good guy to consider there. I'm going to dig in a bit on him this week I think. Thanks for the thoughts.

I think coming out of this draft with a top tier T and C/G is paramount and the absolute floor. I could see the argument for WR and I'm there too but not at the behest of o line. If we come out with a first rd T and a 2nd rd C I am good with almost whatever happens afterward within reason. Two WR's in the 3rd. A T/G in the 4th. CB, Edge. I'm good. 

I just feel like we should use this draft to stock up on the positions it's deepest in. It just so happens that those positions will be the ones to help Sam the most. 

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

Cap room is great, but cuts create holes. 

Jets already have real needs at WR, CB, Edge, and the OL, and you're talking here about cutting two CBs, two WR (and letting another walk?), an OL, and a LB. Now, don't get me wrong, you can justify every one of these more likely than not cuts. The struggle is trying not only to field better starters, but also to have some competent depth. 

Douglas is going to have to display some magic in the draft, with undrafted FAs, and some lower-priced vets if he hopes to improve this roster in one offseason. I hope he demonstrates an ability to collect picks. My #1 favorite move at #11 would be to trade down for a lower first and a second. 

Agreed.  I was answering a question around how we get to $90MM cap space.  I laid out a way to get to $80 mil. 

Will all these guys be cut.  Maybe, maybe not.  Some defintiely will, others may be back.  Williamson will be an interesting case.  Salary is not guaranteed and both Hewitt and Cashman played well in his absence.  That may make him expendable.  If Enunwa is healthy, then absolutely keep him and our WR depth is that much better; but that may be a pipe dream. 

As for other starters like Winters and Roberts, I would hope that we can upgrade in FA or the draft, in which case each guy can be cut after we have found their replacements.   Bellamy had little impact except STs and I don't think we would miss him.  Johnson is the only guy we need to be in a hurry to release since his 2020 base guarantees on March 20.  

23 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

This would be a terrible draft... Although you hit all the positions correctly... You chose terrible players. IMO.

1: Becton is a scary 1st round pick at 11th... He Dewayne Robertson level bust written all over the hype. Wills is a Guard at NFL level

2: Davis is a 4th or 5th round pick in this draft class

3: Cushenberry is fine but you can probably get him with the 2nd 3rd rounder

3: Terrell is a garbage CB... no thank you

4: Akers in the 4th works... although he might be gone before that

5: I don't know much about Throckmorten in the 5th so I will stay out on that.

4 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Cuts.  Trumaine, Winters, Roberts, Williamson (maybe), Q, Bellamy and others.  Also the increase in the cap salary.

The 56 mil in cap space already includes the increase in salary cap. Even with the guys named, it's still not close to 90 and it creates even more holes.

On 2/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, BettyBoop said:

I don't think the Jets are going to give Thuney or Glascow 50+ guaranteed either 

they are going to want the 2021 3rd comp for letting Robby walk 

prediction: the Jets are going to bargain hunt 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't think the Jets are going to give Thuney or Glascow 50+ guaranteed either 

they are going to want the 2021 3rd comp for letting Robby walk 

prediction: the Jets are going to bargain hunt 

Douglas has said otherwise with regard to signing players and the comp pick.  Maybe hes full of BS or maybe the sticker shock makes him reconsider.

The Jets may do a bunch of bargain hunting to fill out special teams and depth but they need starters and they need to be good enough to help Darnold's development.  I predict they are cost conscious but try to find quality replacements for the O line. Their own free agents arent going to get top of the market money either.