Sammy Watkins rumored to be on his way to FA

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

One of the most over paid WRs of all time relative to performance. 

Hell no.

He’s still a solid wide out and can be had at a much lower price. I don’t think the point here is to sign him because we think he can be a #1 WR but because he is a decent role player with experience and a tier 2/3 player at his position. What he was paid previously vs his production isn’t really saying much as it pertains to the Jets grabbing him simply to put actual NFL talent around our young QB. Enunwa’s neck is done. RA is gone. Not understanding why anyone would stick their nose up at a Sammy to Sammy connection. Might as well get someone decent in here at a low cost. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

Hell no.

Watkins was injured a lot on the Bills, and now that he stays healthy, was productive on KC while Hill was injured.

He is in his prime and would be a real number 1 WR, the first one we have had since Edwards.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s still a solid wide out and can be had at a much lower price. I don’t think the point here is to sign him because we think he can be a #1 WR but because he is a decent role player with experience and a tier 2/3 player at his position. What he was paid previously vs his production isn’t really saying much as it pertains to the Jets grabbing him simply to put actual NFL talent around our young QB. Enunwa’s neck is done. RA is gone. Not understanding why anyone would stick their nose up at a Sammy to Sammy connection. Might as well get someone decent in here at a low cost. 

I don’t necessarily disagree with that logic. What you originally said is “ a replacement for Robby”. The offensive line remains top priority- but we will need a WR-1. Depending on what shakes out in FA will determine what happens at 11. I would much prefer to build “ the best offensive line- “rather than build a good one with free agents. However you can’t do that in one off season. If you go the free agency route you’re essentially creating a window to win rather than sustained success.

Ifthey do choose to do it that way we would be unable to draft Lamb or Jeudy. In that case we’d honestly be better off paying Robby- I do get the risk here too. However if Sam is healthy and he stays out of trouble it could be a risk worth taking.

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Pass.... The dream of Sammy never truly bloomed.

Instead, sign this beast for reasonable money. 

I like the Robinson kid. Wish we would of grabbed the Georgia boy Mecole Hardman but Macc so...

anyway, I think Watkins is a decent player to put around Sam for a cheap price. Probably won’t come here lmfao but aye...it definitely isn’t like we’re paying him big money. This move wouldn’t be a tooth puller at all.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets sign Sammy Watkins, but...

I didn't realize "RA is gone". Where did he go? ?

If the premise is Watkins will be a cheaper option on the open market then Anderson, you're saying he's the lesser player. Why would you want to spend money on a downgrade?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Totally agree. First two years were good- nothing since.

He broke his foot, and did not come back at 100%.

He's also made a huge amount of money, won a ring,  and talked about retiring.   That is not the guy I give more money to, his motivation is probably gone, and is a risk to just try to cash out on one last paycheck.

• Upvote 2

Watkins has played on two offensively stacked teams and done nothing. He's been the 3rd-6th receiving option on those teams. Just because he's paid like a #1 or #2 doesn't mean he is...he is a 3/4 WR guy. On top of that, he continually says monumentally stupid sh*t. 

He literally gave an interview where he said that he gave up on the team in a game they were behind in and that the other players laid into him for his behavior. This is on the Chiefs...who won the Superbowl. Imagine him on the Jets..

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Hell no.

You do realize that he’s a free agent and doesn’t have a contract so hows he overpaid? If the price is right bring him in. He looked really good in the Super Bowl and is still only 27 years old

• WTF? 1

Watkins is a prime example of why you shouldn't go nuts over a WR prospect.
Because there was nobody rated higher than Watkins the year he came out and
he's been nothing but average.  The best WR in the game (Michael Thomas) was 
a middle of the second round pick

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets sign Sammy Watkins, but...

I didn't realize "RA is gone". Where did he go? ?

If the premise is Watkins will be a cheaper option on the open market then Anderson, you're saying he's the lesser player. Why would you want to spend money on a downgrade?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't view it as that much of a downgrade.

The thought process is that if Sammy comes cheaper then Robbie, you go with Sammy. Even if you concede Sammy is the lesser player, the difference is marginal. But ultimately, it allows us to allocate resources elsewhere (O-Line). We're still drafting a #1 receiver, so neither will be our go to guy. Plus we can even still double up without feeling like we're forced to

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s the FA WR I’m most interested in.  I’d also kick the tires on Cody Latimer.  

Robinson is ridiculously talented.  I remember feeling so bad for him on when he was in college because he was stuck on the most offensively inept teams the Gators have ever assembled.  It wouldnt shock me for him to put together a career in the NFL, he just needs to stay healthy, which also plagued him in school. 

18 minutes ago, King P said:

I can't speak for everyone else, but I don't view it as that much of a downgrade.

The thought process is that if Sammy comes cheaper then Robbie, you go with Sammy. Even if you concede Sammy is the lesser player, the difference is marginal. But ultimately, it allows us to allocate resources elsewhere (O-Line). We're still drafting a #1 receiver, so neither will be our go to guy. Plus we can even still double up without feeling like we're forced to

I don't disagree with the comparative talents thing, I just happen to know/like Robby more as a player. That's just me though.

If you're right, and we DO draft a #1 type receiver this year, I would be more inclined to go with the cheaper option. The problem being FA comes before the draft, and none of us really know what Douglas is going to do. As far as I know, the only area he's spoken about needing to upgrade is the OL.

We're all assuming he's going there, or WR, but what happens if a defensive player like Simmons or even Okaduh falls to us?