Sammy Watkins rumored to be on his way to FA

25 minutes ago, KRL said:

Watkins is a prime example of why you shouldn't go nuts over a WR prospect.
Because there was nobody rated higher than Watkins the year he came out and
he's been nothing but average.  The best WR in the game (Michael Thomas) was 
a middle of the second round pick

I’m not a fan of this take. 

the story can be spun for every position and every round. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

not for Watkins though..remember the Bills gave up 2 1st round picks for him. They went nuts and even at his best, he wasn't worth it.

Of course. But there's a long line of Mike Evans', Calvin Johnsons', Julio Jones, AJ Green etc etc....  I don't like any mantra that downplays WRs in the 1st. In any capacity.... pointing to a handful of day 2 guys that blew up is not a good reason... that kind of mentality is how you end up with Santana Moss as the last WR we spent a first on.... how's our success been in that department since then?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Categorically and empirically untrue. Sammy had a big week 1 and then turned into a poltergeist until playoffs.

Check your sources. 

watkins caught the same number of passes last season as anderson.  pretty close to being the same player but he's missed an awful lot of games.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s still a solid wide out and can be had at a much lower price. I don’t think the point here is to sign him because we think he can be a #1 WR but because he is a decent role player with experience and a tier 2/3 player at his position. What he was paid previously vs his production isn’t really saying much as it pertains to the Jets grabbing him simply to put actual NFL talent around our young QB. Enunwa’s neck is done. RA is gone. Not understanding why anyone would stick their nose up at a Sammy to Sammy connection. Might as well get someone decent in here at a low cost. 

He was average playing with Pat Mahomes in an insane offense. He vanished for weeks and has a long history of injuries and hasn't played 16 games since his rookie  year (6 years ago). Not to mention he seems less than all-in on football in the long term. 

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A former # 4 overall pick hitting free agency isn't going to settle for $5-7M per, no matter how disappointing he's been.

Have you SEEN the list of free agent WRs?  It's Amari Cooper and a big old pile of trash.  He might get close to Robby money.  

Who cares you cannot pay RA big time money he's just not worth it, I don't care if he's the only free agent WR available. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Who cares you cannot pay RA big time money he's just not worth it, I don't care if he's the only free agent WR available. 

If you could sign Watkins or Anderson to the same contract, let’s say 4 years 44 million, who would you choose?

I’d take Robby.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If Robby is going to get somewhere in the $12-15M per year range then it would be smart to let him walk, sign someone else in the $8-10M range, maybe bring back Demaryius Thomas as a hold-the-fort kind of possession receiver for 2020, and then Draft two guys in the deepest WR Draft in a decade this April.  We'll need to count on Jamison Crowder and hopefully better pass-catching out of the TE group in 2020.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If Robby is going to get somewhere in the $12-15M per year range then it would be smart to let him walk, sign someone else in the $8-10M range, maybe bring back Demaryius Thomas as a hold-the-fort kind of possession receiver for 2020, and then Draft two guys in the deepest WR Draft in a decade this April.  We'll need to count on Jamison Crowder and hopefully better pass-catching out of the TE group in 2020.

+ 1 good post.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't disagree with the comparative talents thing, I just happen to know/like Robby more as a player. That's just me though.

If you're right, and we DO draft a #1 type receiver this year, I would be more inclined to go with the cheaper option. The problem being FA comes before the draft, and none of us really know what Douglas is going to do. As far as I know, the only area he's spoken about needing to upgrade is the OL.

We're all assuming he's going there, or WR, but what happens if a defensive player like Simmons or even Okaduh falls to us?

I'm not assuming we go WR at 11. But I think there are guys in Round 2 or 3 that have #1 receiver ability. If Okudah drops to 11, you take him and run. Not happening though.

Either way, my point is that I believe the playmaker we want at the position will come in the draft

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Of course. But there's a long line of Mike Evans', Calvin Johnsons', Julio Jones, AJ Green etc etc....  I don't like any mantra that downplays WRs in the 1st. In any capacity.... pointing to a handful of day 2 guys that blew up is not a good reason... that kind of mentality is how you end up with Santana Moss as the last WR we spent a first on.... how's our success been in that department since then?

So - Evans drafted in 2014, Jones and Green in 2011, Johnson in 2007. So that's four guys in thirteen drafts, none in the last five. All are 6'3+, 211+, plus athletes, capable of winning contested balls but fast and athletic enough to get loose downfield, proved it in college multiple years, and were drafted in the top ten. 

Over those thirteen drafts, eleven other WR's were drafted in the top ten. Ginn, DHB, Crabtree, Justin Blackmon, Tavon Austin, Watkins, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross. 

I think the elite guys you take at the top of the draft. Otherwise there are a lot of really, really good WR's in the NFL who were drafted on day two.

Not that all of the other eleven were busts but none hit that elite multi year sustained production the four you mentioned did. And I don't think anyone this draft class fits that profile.

5 hours ago, derp said:

So - Evans drafted in 2014, Jones and Green in 2011, Johnson in 2007. So that's four guys in thirteen drafts, none in the last five. All are 6'3+, 211+, plus athletes, capable of winning contested balls but fast and athletic enough to get loose downfield, proved it in college multiple years, and were drafted in the top ten. 

Over those thirteen drafts, eleven other WR's were drafted in the top ten. Ginn, DHB, Crabtree, Justin Blackmon, Tavon Austin, Watkins, Amari Cooper, Kevin White, Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross. 

I think the elite guys you take at the top of the draft. Otherwise there are a lot of really, really good WR's in the NFL who were drafted on day two.

Not that all of the other eleven were busts but none hit that elite multi year sustained production the four you mentioned did. And I don't think anyone this draft class fits that profile.

You've skipped over copious 1st round WRs like Hopkins, Odell, Dez, DT etc etc

I'm not even sure where this is going.... my initial reply was to say - i don't like point at 1 underachiever and saying "this is why you don't ____".... Many, many of todays best WRs came out of the 1st -- meaning the drafting team thought the juice was worth the squeeze.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

You've skipped over copious 1st round WRs like Hopkins, Odell, Dez, DT etc etc

I'm not even sure where this is going.... my initial reply was to say - i don't like point at 1 underachiever and saying "this is why you don't ____".... Many, many of todays best WRs came out of the 1st -- meaning the drafting team thought the juice was worth the squeeze.

I took "this is why you don't" to mean top ten when he talked about the big price to get Watkins - you did not evidently. Cherry picking is never good but the big sample of the top ten isn't great either. Too many guys get the elite tag, it's a pet peeve of mine, and I was a little stressed yesterday - didn't mean to be too direct. For what it's worth of those copious R1 WR's - Dez and DT are not productive right now.

The way the NFL drafts WR's is kind of bonkers to me. Pretty strong correlations for weight and none for speed and they draft twigs in R1. Guys who can hold up physically at the catch point, stay healthy, and have hands and separation ability but run a little slower go R2. 

Looked at receiving yardage this year as a one off sample - four of the top 10 receiving yardage guys in 2009 were R1 guys. Two more top twenty, two more top thirty, one more top forty, one more top fifty, two more top sixty. So twelve of the top 60 pass catchers by yardage were R1 WR's (McCaffrey the other R1 guy - no R1 TE's which is wild). Nine of the top 30 were R2 guys and seven were R3 guys. Then two day 2 picks (Diggs and Edelman). To me it's pretty clear day 2 is where value meets production at that position. Hope the Jets grab two guys in that range this year.

The truly *elite* guys are great - three of the four in the top ten benefitted from game flow IMO then guys like Hopkins outside the top ten didn't - but when you're looking for production in the passing game I'd argue it's more efficient to wait till day 2. That's where the guys who can play the position and aren't overhyped due to stats or 40's fall.

22 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't disagree with the comparative talents thing, I just happen to know/like Robby more as a player. That's just me though.

If you're right, and we DO draft a #1 type receiver this year, I would be more inclined to go with the cheaper option. The problem being FA comes before the draft, and none of us really know what Douglas is going to do. As far as I know, the only area he's spoken about needing to upgrade is the OL.

We're all assuming he's going there, or WR, but what happens if a defensive player like Simmons or even Okaduh falls to us?

It’s more about filling out the WR depth chart. It’s looking ugly right now.

50 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s more about filling out the WR depth chart. It’s looking ugly right now.

I agree buddy, but we can say the same thing about OL, CB, and a few other spots, no?

That's why I don't agree with letting guys like Robby go without getting anything back. If we weren't planning on resigning him, or he wouldn't agree to a deal, we should've traded him for whatever we could get at the deadline last season.

I know a lot of people here are really excited about JD, but so far I'm not impressed. I give him credit for the Leo deal (assuming the pick works out), but even a know-nothing like myself told people here Khalil was done back at the end of the 18 season when the Panthers let him go. Signing him to the deal they did a few months later made no sense, and I got killed here for saying it again.

Now I'm beginning to read things here about Barry being hired above him last offseason because the Eagles wanted to start relying more on analytics and that wasn't Douglas' thing. I'm also reading he's done nothing to upgrade the analytics dept here. If that's true, that make him more of a scout-type talent evaluator. I think we just got rid of a GM like that, didn't we?

Ah well, there's not much we can do but sit back, hope for the best, and watch things play out.

• Upvote 1