Sammy Watkins rumored to be on his way to FA

51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree buddy, but we can say the same thing about OL, CB, and a few other spots, no?

That's why I don't agree with letting guys like Robby go without getting anything back. If we weren't planning on resigning him, or he wouldn't agree to a deal, we should've traded him for whatever we could get at the deadline last season.

I know a lot of people here are really excited about JD, but so far I'm not impressed. I give him credit for the Leo deal (assuming the pick works out), but even a know-nothing like myself told people here Khalil was done back at the end of the 18 season when the Panthers let him go. Signing him to the deal they did a few months later made no sense, and I got killed here for saying it again.

Now I'm beginning to read things here about Barry being hired above him last offseason because the Eagles wanted to start relying more on analytics and that wasn't Douglas' thing. I'm also reading he's done nothing to upgrade the analytics dept here. If that's true, that make him more of a scout-type talent evaluator. I think we just got rid of a GM like that, didn't we?

Ah well, there's not much we can do but sit back, hope for the best, and watch things play out.

True.  I’m a big fan of Robby and I don’t want to see him go but it doesn’t look go especially the other holes we need to fill.  Anyway good to see you back man.  I know we have disagreements about the QB situation but everything else we seem to see eye to eye for and respect each other.  Take care man

23 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

True.  I’m a big fan of Robby and I don’t want to see him go but it doesn’t look go especially the other holes we need to fill.  Anyway good to see you back man.  I know we have disagreements about the QB situation but everything else we seem to see eye to eye for and respect each other.  Take care man

Two weeks in Italy were great.

Now I have to work on dropping the weight I put on there. The food was incredible!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Two weeks in Italy were great.

Now I have to work on dropping the weight I put on there. The food was incredible!

Italy is great.  I went there  as a kid. Food is tremendous.   I might be biased because I’m Italian but it’s the best food lol

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, KRL said:

Watkins is a prime example of why you shouldn't go nuts over a WR prospect.
Because there was nobody rated higher than Watkins the year he came out and
he's been nothing but average.  The best WR in the game (Michael Thomas) was 
a middle of the second round pick

He was good, then he broke his foot, and was not the same after.

On 2/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, KRL said:

Watkins is a prime example of why you shouldn't go nuts over a WR prospect.
Because there was nobody rated higher than Watkins the year he came out and
he's been nothing but average.  The best WR in the game (Michael Thomas) was 
a middle of the second round pick

Same can be said for any position 

On 2/17/2020 at 12:27 PM, Paradis said:

Pass.... The dream of Sammy never truly bloomed.

Instead, sign this beast for reasonable money. 

Was riding the DeMarcus Robinson train hard this past season. There is a lot of potential there. The hope is that he was just stuck behind too many people. If we are gonna roll the dice on someone I think I'd like to look at Funchess or Perriman

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, derp said:

I took "this is why you don't" to mean top ten when he talked about the big price to get Watkins - you did not evidently. Cherry picking is never good but the big sample of the top ten isn't great either. Too many guys get the elite tag, it's a pet peeve of mine, and I was a little stressed yesterday - didn't mean to be too direct. For what it's worth of those copious R1 WR's - Dez and DT are not productive right now.

The way the NFL drafts WR's is kind of bonkers to me. Pretty strong correlations for weight and none for speed and they draft twigs in R1. Guys who can hold up physically at the catch point, stay healthy, and have hands and separation ability but run a little slower go R2. 

Looked at receiving yardage this year as a one off sample - four of the top 10 receiving yardage guys in 2009 were R1 guys. Two more top twenty, two more top thirty, one more top forty, one more top fifty, two more top sixty. So twelve of the top 60 pass catchers by yardage were R1 WR's (McCaffrey the other R1 guy - no R1 TE's which is wild). Nine of the top 30 were R2 guys and seven were R3 guys. Then two day 2 picks (Diggs and Edelman). To me it's pretty clear day 2 is where value meets production at that position. Hope the Jets grab two guys in that range this year.

The truly *elite* guys are great - three of the four in the top ten benefitted from game flow IMO then guys like Hopkins outside the top ten didn't - but when you're looking for production in the passing game I'd argue it's more efficient to wait till day 2. That's where the guys who can play the position and aren't overhyped due to stats or 40's fall.

I disagree to an extent, but i think we're circling the same the need in each our own way... 

One of the issues that you're raising is the kind of WRs, or which WRs are getting selected in the first... I have no fcking clue why any GM worth their salt would spend a first on Tavon Austin. Or John Ross. Or DHB. Or Doctson, etc etc....  I didn't understand then, and I don't understand it now... That said, i'll always swing for a Mike Evans guy... You talk about how X number of rnd1 WRs are successful, that number BALOONS in the mid rounds... so while it's nice that you're identifying all these guys who put up numbers selected in day 2 -- the % of guys who do little escalates dramatically.

Your barrel gets bigger and your fish get smaller -- the longer you wait. That's all I'm saying.