Leonard Williams seeks help from Richard Seymour

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102205/article/leonard-williams-seeks-help-from-richard-seymour

Leonard Williams seeks help from Richard Seymour

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 17, 2020 at 09:10 a.m.

Leonard Williams entered the NFL viewed as the safest early selection in the 2015 draft. While he's been solid through five seasons with the New York Jets and then Giants, he never had a breakout, dominant performance.

As he heads into free agency, Williams is seeking help from a former star.

The 25 year old reached out to "The Godfather" Richard Seymour, the former New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders star.

Soaking up knowledge from the ? himself @BigSey93! Thanks so much for your time my guy! Humbled ??

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Seymour told ESPN's Mike Reiss that he's working with Williams on the mental-approach first and foremost.

"I've worked with guys in the past -- not so much on-the-field work, but just mentality, mindset," the 40-year-old Seymour said. "Here's the thing: In my mind, anybody can be good if they have a certain amount of talent. But what I try to give guys is the mindset of what it takes to be great, and to be great consistently. To develop a mentality over the course of your career. I'd say Leonard has all the tools for what it takes to be great."

The No. 6 overall pick in 2001 by Bill Belichick, Seymour knows the high expectations that can undermine a young player's development.

"I respect the hard work of guys that come in the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round, but it's different when you are the guy and have to perform at that level, basically with a target on your back the whole time and live up to that. And exceed expectations," he said.

"I've been telling him, it's really about competition. Competing. And hanging around and being around people who have the same mindset, being in that environment all the time. It helps in terms of what you're trying to accomplish."

After four seasons with the Jets, the Giants traded a third-round pick and a conditional 2021 selection to get a look at Williams and hope to re-sign him ahead of free agency.

In five years, Williams has been solid but unspectacular, generating 17.5 sacks, 266 tackles and 254 total QB pressures. Williams hopes working with Seymour can help unlock the talent to improve his play down the line.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

the bellichicken knew the value of guys like seymour.  he didn't hesitate to trade him away when he asked for too much money.  and seymour was a better player than leo.  at this stage i can't see leo changing his ways.  he'll be a decent player but will never live up to his expectations coming out of the draft.  i also don't think he'll be a slug like wilky turned out to be after getting his big contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Things may have turned out different for Leo if we did not have Todd bowles as a coach and if he did not learn from Mo wilkerson and sheldon richardson.  Bowles totally allowed a culture of no effort and no consequences.  You get exposed to that long enough and it rubs off.

Leo was pretty good early on and just got worse playing along side fat lazy no account guys and guys with lousy attitudes.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm so happy the Jets have Gregg Williams.  This defense lost player after player to injury, traded their starting DT in Leo Williams, benched their most expensive CB in Trumaine Johnson, rotated undrafted free agents on the DLine more than 50% of the time....and still finished as a Top 10 Defense.  The secret ingredient?  Coaching.

Very early on he played guys that deserved it and benched guys that did not deserve to play.  If Bowles was still there, no way a guy like Kyle phillips sees the field.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Very early on he played guys that deserved it and benched guys that did not deserve to play.  If Bowles was still there, no way a guy like Kyle phillips sees the field.

It took Gase a little while but he eventually came around on that too.  Probably because his buddy Joe D had just gotten the job and immediately signed Ryan Kalil, but Gase let Kalil start for too long before eventually moving back to Harrison.  When Beachum, Alex Lewis and Harrison were playing together consistently without injuries that left side of the OLine performed at least respectably....Not great but they became borderline Average.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

It won't take long for this thread to go off the rails, that's for sure...

before it does though, I'll give credit to Leo for looking to Seymour for advice, and trying to improve as a player.

4 years too late for my taste. :) 

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

the bellichicken knew the value of guys like seymour.  he didn't hesitate to trade him away when he asked for too much money.  and seymour was a better player than leo.  at this stage i can't see leo changing his ways.  he'll be a decent player but will never live up to his expectations coming out of the draft.  i also don't think he'll be a slug like wilky turned out to be after getting his big contract.

Part of me thinks this way too.  But another part of me wonders if these moves worked out because pretty much anything would've worked out so long as they had TB12.  

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Things may have turned out different for Leo if we did not have Todd bowles as a coach and if he did not learn from Mo wilkerson and sheldon richardson.  Bowles totally allowed a culture of no effort and no consequences.  You get exposed to that long enough and it rubs off.

Leo was pretty good early on and just got worse playing along side fat lazy no account guys and guys with lousy attitudes.

Sad that Todd and Kacy were the only coaches he knew, Leo liked them too, while they destroyed his career and let's not forget Revis the ring leader, "those guys said i would get paid"

Seymour is like dude you have to work to be great - probably in better shape than all of them

I think Leo could 

really 

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So I just have to ask, so in your mind a #6 DT that has done nothing in his career is the jets fault, but a #6 pick that has been an all pro you think sucks and should be gotten rid of?

please explain

• Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So I just have to ask, so in your mind a #6 DT that has done nothing in his career is the jets fault, but a #6 pick that has been an all pro you think sucks and should be gotten rid of?

please explain

No the fact that Leo is a mediocre player is his fault.  He as a young player that showed promise was not helped by the jets and their awful awful awful coach.

The all pro safety is an all pro because he talks constantly draws attention to himself and is put in the most favourable situation to suit his skillset, which also does not help the team win. 

No worries for the Adams fans he will be resigned to a huge deal long term, it is going to happen and the day we get a legit olb pass rusher jamals weaknesses will be exposed when he is asked to actually be a SS rather than a hybrid.

• Thumb Down 2

I am just bummed that the Giants woke up here and will not re-sign him, thus lowering our second draft pick.  

I do agree that Bowles and Kacy just created a terrible culture.  Adams was self-propelled.  There is no question in my view that the Bowles/Kacy culture hurt the careers of those on their team.

I wonder whether Gase is an improvement.  The injury history would not support that.  

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhh

I get it and agree, but if the Giants re-sign him it benefits us greatly.  Leo is still relevant....for now.

Greatly?

I think of this more like a $1.00 scratcher ticket.  We could win $10.00.  Low odds.  Ok, cool, but not worth alot of thought till you actually win.

JMO.