Leonard Williams seeks help from Richard Seymour

Jetsfan80

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No the fact that Leo is a mediocre player is his fault.  He as a young player that showed promise was not helped by the jets and their awful awful awful coach.

The all pro safety is an all pro because he talks constantly draws attention to himself and is put in the most favourable situation to suit his skillset, which also does not help the team win. 

No worries for the Adams fans he will be resigned to a huge deal long term, it is going to happen and the day we get a legit olb pass rusher jamals weaknesses will be exposed when he is asked to actually be a SS rather than a hybrid.

Jesus Christ this is so awful.  It’s not the 90’s.  Jamal Adams plays 5 positions because that’s what is so valuable in the modern matchup chess game that is the NFL. Never has to come off the field and can do anything. He plays strong, free, corner, OLB; blitzes, zone, man, hits like a truck.  He’s the perfect Defensive player in the position-less NfL. 

The beauty of Jamal Adams is he’s so good and versatile he’ll NEVER have to be Victor Green. 

it’s why isiah Simmons will be a top 10 overall pick this draft as a 231 LB OLB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I needed to seek help, by having to watch Leonard Williams play Defensive Lineman for the Jets for nearly 5 years.

It’s always amazed me how many used to defend him. It was clear from year two he wasn’t anything special. The guy got worse year on year. Nice guy but no heart, not a real football player.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Jesus Christ this is so awful.  It’s not the 90’s.  Jamal Adams plays 5 positions because that’s what is so valuable in the modern matchup chess game that is the NFL. Never has to come off the field and can do anything. He plays strong, free, corner, OLB; blitzes, zone, man, hits like a truck.  He’s the perfect Defensive player in the position-less NfL. 

The beauty of Jamal Adams is he’s so good and versatile he’ll NEVER have to be Victor Green. 

it’s why isiah Simmons will be a top 10 overall pick this draft as a 231 LB OLB. 

Did you notice Neville Hewiit chasing down slot guys and TEs and WRs down the field this year?

Do you watch the plays where Adams is on the line going forward as the play passes him by?

Did you ignore the fact that he is asked to almost never cover anyone in man?

He is asked to blitz because we have NO PASS RUSHERS.  Every time your SS is up on the line you are exposing your defense elsewhere.  CBs have no safety help.  You are asking guys like Hewiit to have to cover guys they have no hope of covering.

The hybrid guys?  They don't last long.  Deone Buchanan was the poster boy.  Guys like Landon collins, their teams have regret over paying the guy too much too long.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2020 at 12:23 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001102205/article/leonard-williams-seeks-help-from-richard-seymour

Leonard Williams seeks help from Richard Seymour

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Feb. 17, 2020 at 09:10 a.m.

Leonard Williams entered the NFL viewed as the safest early selection in the 2015 draft. While he's been solid through five seasons with the New York Jets and then Giants, he never had a breakout, dominant performance.

As he heads into free agency, Williams is seeking help from a former star.

The 25 year old reached out to "The Godfather" Richard Seymour, the former New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders star.

Soaking up knowledge from the ? himself @BigSey93! Thanks so much for your time my guy! Humbled ??

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Seymour told ESPN's Mike Reiss that he's working with Williams on the mental-approach first and foremost.

"I've worked with guys in the past -- not so much on-the-field work, but just mentality, mindset," the 40-year-old Seymour said. "Here's the thing: In my mind, anybody can be good if they have a certain amount of talent. But what I try to give guys is the mindset of what it takes to be great, and to be great consistently. To develop a mentality over the course of your career. I'd say Leonard has all the tools for what it takes to be great."

The No. 6 overall pick in 2001 by Bill Belichick, Seymour knows the high expectations that can undermine a young player's development.

"I respect the hard work of guys that come in the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh round, but it's different when you are the guy and have to perform at that level, basically with a target on your back the whole time and live up to that. And exceed expectations," he said.

"I've been telling him, it's really about competition. Competing. And hanging around and being around people who have the same mindset, being in that environment all the time. It helps in terms of what you're trying to accomplish."

After four seasons with the Jets, the Giants traded a third-round pick and a conditional 2021 selection to get a look at Williams and hope to re-sign him ahead of free agency.

In five years, Williams has been solid but unspectacular, generating 17.5 sacks, 266 tackles and 254 total QB pressures. Williams hopes working with Seymour can help unlock the talent to improve his play down the line.

Nice.  Couldnt look for help the last 5yrs?  

Jets raped the Giants getting a 3 for that guy.