Jets GM Joe Douglas can start roster makeover with $25 million in cap cuts

joewilly12

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you want to pay him $19M (or $13M, depending on how the contract works) to NOT play for us?  That makes no business sense.  If JD cuts Bell then I have serious concerns about him moving forward.  We might as well see what Bell can do after improvements to the OL. 

We can still very easily use a 4th rounder on a RB.  Bell doesn't prevent that.  Cutting Bell would guarantee we force a 4th rounder into starting/significant touch duties, thus putting Sam at risk in the pass-blocking department.

I don't want a guy on the team that stinks - that will cause more headaches for the HC as people will be screaming for him to get more reps, when the coach know he should be getting less - if any at all.

You want to carry a guy that shouldn't be on the roster just because we're paying him? I don't see the logic in that.

• Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The Eagles hired Andrew Berry (who’s now the GM in Cleveland) in a role above Douglas last year- which was around the time Douglas getting the Jets job started to surface. Lombardi mentioned this months back right before the Jets hired him:

ADNAN VIRK: You’ve been so good with this Jets stuff. Obviously, you nailed the fact that [Mike] Maccagnan was in trouble prior to a lot of people thinking so — hint, hint, [Mike] Francesa. Any ideas where the Jets could be leaning here?

LOMBARDI: Everybody tells me it’s Joe Douglas. I mean, look, Joe Douglas — he’s going to have options. Well, Joe Douglas wants to leave Philly. I don’t think Joe Douglas is really that comfortable in Philadelphia in this current setup. The Eagles are going really extensively — they hired [former Browns executive] Andrew Berry. They’re going to go really with the analytics. 

Thats a pretty big leap of logic. Nothing in there indicates the Eagles were moving on from JD. 

If anything this backs up the notion that they knew he would be highly sought after, so they prepared for his departure in advance. 

The viewpoint far and wide around the league and from the Eagles was that they didnt want him to go. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't want a guy on the team that stinks - that will cause more headaches for the HC as people will be screaming for him to get more reps, when the coach know he should be getting less - if any at all.

You want to carry a guy that shouldn't be on the roster just because we're paying him? I don't see the logic in that.

RB isn't a deep position for us.  Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell are both FA's.  Cutting Bell would mean we have to add as many as 3 new RB's to the roster.  I don't particularly think that would be a good idea.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

exactly, so if you take away whatever explosiveness he had then he's downright slow.  Which is what he is now.

This whole idea that he was patient means he doesn't have to be fast is just silly.  He waited for holes then hit them with a quick first couple of steps - which is what made him so good.  

He lost that bit of explosiveness he had and now all waiting does is means he loses yards.  This isn't personal - he was, by all accounts, a good teammate, said all the right things etc....

but this happens to RB's all the time - they go from Great to below average almost over night - it's the nature of that position.

Yep I agree. My point was the guy was never really an explosive back so expecting him to come here and change his style after handing him a massive contract is just silly. Being that his trade value is in the crapper all we can hope for is some major improvement I guess lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

RB isn't a deep position for us.  Ty Montgomery and Bilal Powell are both FA's.  Cutting Bell would mean we have to add as many as 3 new RB's to the roster.  I don't particularly think that would be a good idea.  

Agree, but to my point - both Powell and Montgomery were noticeably faster than Bell.  And neither of those guys are exactly speed demons.

As I mentioned, a 5th round RB will be better than what Bell can give you at this point in his career.  Honestly, I have nothing against Bell, I was very much in favor of the signing - but I saw a guy that looked completely done - hit the wall.  I think Gase saw it too, which is why he wasn't getting nearly the amount of reps people were expecting. 

Of course I can be wrong but I honestly believe he'll be cut.

14 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

This is all great and what not, but when is Joe Douglas going to speak up and let us know his exact process and plan leading up to the draft? He needs to stop getting a pass and start making some changes to the analytics department and be more transparent. He's already on the hot seat

Right after Bellichick does.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agree, but to my point - both Powell and Montgomery were noticeably faster than Bell.  And neither of those guys are exactly speed demons.

As I mentioned, a 5th round RB will be better than what Bell can give you at this point in his career.  Honestly, I have nothing against Bell, I was very much in favor of the signing - but I saw a guy that looked completely done - hit the wall.  I think Gase saw it too, which is why he wasn't getting nearly the amount of reps people were expecting. 

Even if you're right that a 5th rounder can replace Bell, we're also having to bring in 2 more RBs.  Not ideal for a team with so many holes.  

If nothing else, Bell can pass block and catch passes.  That alone gives him more value than a 5th round rookie RB.  

Bell has more value to us on the team than paying him all that coin not to be here.  

• Upvote 2

Do what must be done! Do not hesitate.. show no mercy!

Emperor Joe Douglas in my opinion should trade, cut or restructure any ridiculous contract. 

Any player not pulling his weight or up to Snuff and a bad scheme fit should be jettisoned immediately no matter how messy or harsh. We can actually do a lot this year to point this team in the right direction.

We need to acquire as many draft picks as possible this year for this particular draft. Anything we can get between a third and a fifth round pick for Bell, is a done deal! Anything we can get at all for Henry Anderson or Darryl Roberts is a done deal!

I've grown to like Jamal Adams as a player but if we can get a really good trade deal then Sayonara Cowboy!! 

Just don't trade Marcus Maye! we need more Marcus Maye like Christopher Walken needs more goddamn cowbell!

Hell as far as I'm concerned CJ Mosley is on the trade block! I definitely say re-sign Hewitt and Burgess and obviously Poole!

Robbie Anderson for close to 10 not 15. Jordan Jenkins on the cheap or adios!

Free agency we need to sign a stud CB. We need a stud O lineman, and I'm either hoping for Shaq Barrett , Fowler jr. or Bud Dupree, oh and BJ Finney please? That means four decent to high-priced free agents whilst also signing our second-tier guys.

We need to go into the draft with 10+ draft picks!! This is how it's done.

I thought you'd like to know. 

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Every RB on the team enjoyed the worst season of their careers.  The OL was historically bad.  

Gase used Bell plenty.  I dont think the knock was usage (though he would tend to go away from him late in the game) but more so, how he used him but this isnt uncommon of Gase.  It's been his biggest knock as a player caller.  

Bell had 310 touches of the Football.  He was the 2nd leading WR on the team.  He had 500 more yards from scrimmage than the next guy on the team.  He caught 85% of his passes.  Bell provides a ton of value to Darnold in both pass protection and as a safety valve.  He's still got wiggle, can make people miss and he never goes backward.  He was met by the 1st defender closer to the LOS than any other RB in the league but he always seemed to manage to get positive yards.   Build the OL and Bell will have a bounce back season.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Every RB on the team enjoyed the worst season of their careers.  The OL was historically bad.  

Gase used Bell plenty.  I dont think the knock was usage (though he would tend to go away from him late in the game) but more so, how he used him but this isnt uncommon of Gase.  It's been his biggest knock as a player caller.  

Bell had 310 touches of the Football.  He was the 2nd leading WR on the team.  He had 500 more yards from scrimmage than the next guy on the team.  He caught 85% of his passes.  Bell provides a ton of value to Darnold in both pass protection and as a safety valve.  He's still got wiggle, can make people miss and he never goes backward.  He was met by the 1st defender closer to the LOS than any other RB in the league but he always seemed to manage to get positive yards.   Build the OL and Bell will have a bounce back season.

It's really not any more complicated than this.

• Upvote 1

Provided they're healthy I would like to see Mosely and Williamson restructure.  Wouldn't mind Crowder doing the same.  He's only 26 and it would be nice for him to stick around for 3-4 more years.  This could add a few million to the coffers and help keep Williamson around.  As we learned last year, you can't have too much depth in the NFL.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Totally agree with this. I didn't notice him being noticeably slower last year. The issue was that the offensive line sucked and his game is predicated on having a good line. If anything he often impressed me finding ways to turn nothing into a gain.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Totally agree with this. I didn't notice him being noticeably slower last year. The issue was that the offensive line sucked and his game is predicated on having a good line. If anything he often impressed me finding ways to turn nothing into a gain.

The bold, for sure.  I cant remember how many times I was shocked he was able to gain yards after a play being totally blown up in the backfield.  I mean, the overall consensus on the board was feeling bad for Bell but now that the season is over, it's like we forget just how impossible of situation he was in behind that OL.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DjHoldyHold said:

I love Williamson but I think we need to let him go. We have linebacker depth. Cashman looks to be a legit player, and Mosely is a top linebacker in this league. No reason to pay both of them when Greg Williams can get it done with backups and guys off the street

Williamson is coming off a torn ACL and was already expendable 

18 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

At this point I would much rather have that $15 million in cap space than Bell.   

I think you can chalk that up to Gase's awful leadership skills.  Strict Xs & Os guy w/ no people/social skills.  Ya don't announce ya didn't want a guy, cause ya compound that with bad o-line and losing, then ya get a guy whose gonna have the extra plate of buffalo wings or bag of chips and go through the motions.

After adding some o-line pieces & a #1 WR this year, Gase needs to stroke Bell's ego and tell him they expecting big things, to light a fire under him.  

PFF ranked Jets line # 28.  If they can improve from awful to mediocre, Bell is an 1100-1200yd back w/ another 500yds receiving.  

On 2/17/2020 at 9:26 PM, Matt39 said:

The Eagles hired Andrew Berry (who’s now the GM in Cleveland) in a role above Douglas last year- which was around the time Douglas getting the Jets job started to surface. Lombardi mentioned this months back right before the Jets hired him:

ADNAN VIRK: You’ve been so good with this Jets stuff. Obviously, you nailed the fact that [Mike] Maccagnan was in trouble prior to a lot of people thinking so — hint, hint, [Mike] Francesa. Any ideas where the Jets could be leaning here?

LOMBARDI: Everybody tells me it’s Joe Douglas. I mean, look, Joe Douglas — he’s going to have options. Well, Joe Douglas wants to leave Philly. I don’t think Joe Douglas is really that comfortable in Philadelphia in this current setup. The Eagles are going really extensively — they hired [former Browns executive] Andrew Berry. They’re going to go really with the analytics. 

Lombardi...

D090A8A6-7147-4671-ABB4-20DDA5304F30.gif.0b0ef025265c2e0ae82563dabb48be3e.gif