ESPN predicts Emmanuel Sanders will sign with the Jets

24 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who exactly do you guys want on the team?

We only have a few draft picks - you don’t want to keep Robby (wants too much) you don’t want to sign a Sanders (he’s too old) 

What exactly are y’all expecting.  Sanders would be a solid signing and we should keep Robby...with our two TE’sn - if they stay healthy it’ll be a huge upgrade over last year - shore up the o-line as best you can and this is an upgraded team.

There are no silver bullets out there.  This team almost entirely neglected offer for almost a decade.  Not sure what you guys expect.

Can't speak for others, but I'm happy to tell you what I want to see:

1. Trade Adams, get 1st round pick and 3rd round pick in return.

2. Sign the best FA O-linemen available (1 of 5 spots sorted).

3. Draft:

1st - Best O-Lineman at #11 (2 of 5 spots sorted)

1st - Best WR (at acquired pick) - #1 WR

2nd - Best Center (3 of 5 spots sorted)

3rd - Best WR - #2 WR

3rd - Best O-Lineman (4 of 5 spots sorted)

3rd - Best O-Lineman (5 of 5 spots sorted)

4th - Best WR - WR #3

5th - Cornerback (or Safety).

3. Remaining Cap Space - Cornerbacks, Edge, Safeties as needed/available.  RB (with Bell retained) has to wait till 2021.

This remains how I, as GM, would rebuild this team fromt he gorund up with a strong and dedicated focus on the offense and youth to support Sam Darnold. 

No try hards, no old men, no recycled O-linemen reaches, just legit prospects and the best FA O-lineman available.  A brand new Offense, both on the line, and at WR.  Our TE's are good enough for today.

I appreciate this isn't what others would do, especially the Adams move.  But it's 100% what I would do. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, genot said:

When are you applying for the Johnson's budget director positionindex.jpg.11cd55f37a494788bd50252dde54ddf2.jpg

It's already been reported we're not bringing Robby back.  What solution do you suggest?  Send Amari Cooper $18M a year?

I've already laid out the big move to make at WR.  Trade Jamal, draft an OT and a WR in the first, sign Breshad/Robinson, and maybe also use a 3rd rounder on a WR.  And boom, we're in good shape.

Overpaying on Robby or a FA WR isn't smart.

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hell, Phillip Dorsett does not even have half the production of what Robby does. Demarcus Robinson plays in a pinball game and has half of that.  I actually find Breshad Perriman somewhat intriguing, but he was the definition of a bust before the last quarter of 2019 and getting yardage in a Bruce Arians offense does not seem particularly unusual. 

Robby isn't coming back.  What's your solution?

44 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

DeMarcus Robinson or Breshad Perriman.  You know, someone who isn't on a steep age-related decline, has shown potential, and whose best years are ahead of them, not behind.  

Hell, Phillip Dorsett does a good bit of what Robby does and would cost less than half of what Robby would.

Sounds like Robby Anderson to me.  Yet we don't want him.   Robbie is a legit threat and a of great value to our offense, letting him walk would make little sense to me.  This team is in desperate need of offense talent, you don't let that happen.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's already been reported we're not bringing Robby back.  What solution do you suggest?  Send Amari Cooper $18M a year?

I've already laid out the big move to make at WR.  Trade Jamal, draft an OT and a WR in the first, sign Breshad/Robinson, and maybe also use a 3rd rounder on a WR.  And boom, we're in good shape.

Overpaying on Robby or a FA WR isn't smart.

I don't trust the reports. They could be true. Robby said the jet's told him they wanted him back. Of course, it comes down to money. We'll have to wait and see. even if we resign Robby, we need to draft a Wr, in the first three rounds. DT, and Enumwa, won't cut it.

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Can't speak for others, but I'm happy to tell you what I want to see:

1. Trade Adams, get 1st round pick and 3rd round pick in return.

2. Sign the best FA O-linemen available (1 of 5 spots sorted).

3. Draft:

1st - Best O-Lineman at #11 (2 of 5 spots sorted)

1st - Best WR (at acquired pick) - #1 WR

2nd - Best Center (3 of 5 spots sorted)

3rd - Best WR - #2 WR

3rd - Best O-Lineman (4 of 5 spots sorted)

3rd - Best O-Lineman (5 of 5 spots sorted)

4th - Best WR - WR #3

5th - Cornerback (or Safety).

3. Remaining Cap Space - Cornerbacks, Edge, Safeties as needed/available.  RB (with Bell retained) has to wait till 2021.

This remains how I, as GM, would rebuild this team fromt he gorund up with a strong and dedicated focus on the offense and youth to support Sam Darnold. 

No try hards, no old men, no recycled O-linemen reaches, just legit prospects and the best FA O-lineman available.  A brand new Offense, both on the line, and at WR.  Our TE's are good enough for today.

I appreciate this isn't what others would do, especially the Adams move.  But it's 100% what I would do. 

I love the enthusiasm and agree with pretty much everything you listed.  This entire off-season needs to be dedicated to offense - which includes getting whatever we can for Adams and starting over with the offense.  Could not agree more!

With that said - I understand you were listing draft picks but that same concept goes for FA - saying "Best" is the point I was trying to make  - in FA there aren't going to be studs at great prices available.  Anyone reasonably good FA we're going to have to overpay (and will still come with questions marks) and anyone coming at a reasonable price is going to be past their prime or a JAG.

It's why you keep Robbie and yes, guys like Sanders fall into that bucket but it might be the type of person we have to go after to fill out the roster with reasonable talent that can be trusted to perform.

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sounds like Robby Anderson to me.  Yet we don't want him.   Robbie is a legit threat and a of great value to our offense, letting him walk would make little sense to me.  This team is in desperate need of offense talent, you don't let that happen.

Well it's likely happening, so it seems silly to complain about it.

The FA WR market is dry.  We all know this.  That's why I want to trade Jamal and build the offense thru the draft rather than paying for mercenaries.  

10 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't trust the reports. They could be true. Robby said the jet's told him they wanted him back. Of course, it comes down to money. We'll have to wait and see. even if we resign Robby, we need to draft a Wr, in the first three rounds. DT, and Enumwa, won't cut it.

And I'm saying let's assume those reports are true and Robby isn't back.  What's your plan for WR in that instance? 

People want to rip on the WR's people are picking out in free agency but don't have alternatives to suggest.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well it's likely happening, so it seems silly to complain about it.

The FA WR market is dry.  We all know this.  That's why I want to trade Jamal and build the offense thru the draft rather than paying for mercenaries.  

Well, that's what we do here (well, not just complain, but discuss options) 

It hasn't happened yet and could very well be negotiation posturing at this point.  Seems strange to me a team so desperately needing offensive talent is going to let their only legitimate offensive weapon go so easily.  

if we can really get a 1 and 2 or even a 1 and 3- you simply gotta trade Adams. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It hasn't happened yet and could very well be negotiation posturing at this point.  Seems strange to me a team so desperately needing offensive talent is going to let their only legitimate offensive weapon go so easily.  

I don't think its a matter of letting him go "easily".  It's likely a matter of his demands being ridiculously high, and us willing to let him test free agency to find out exactly how much he's worth.  Only if he doesn't find a home and comes down on his demands would we bring him back.  Speculation, I know, but there hasn't been much info coming from the Jets about Robby.  

The real head-scratcher was not trading Robby at the deadline.  It's not likely that anything changed about his demands between the trade deadline and the offseason.  Perhaps no one wanted to give up more than a 4th rounder for a potential rental.  Who knows.  I'd have taken a 4th if it was available to us.

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I love the enthusiasm and agree with pretty much everything you listed.  This entire off-season needs to be dedicated to offense - which includes getting whatever we can for Adams and starting over with the offense.  Could not agree more!

?

With that said - I understand you were listing draft picks but that same concept goes for FA - saying "Best" is the point I was trying to make  - in FA there aren't going to be studs at great prices available.  Anyone reasonably good FA we're going to have to overpay (and will still come with questions marks) and anyone coming at a reasonable price is going to be past their prime or a JAG.

It's why you keep Robbie and yes, guys like Sanders fall into that bucket but it might be the type of person we have to go after to fill out the roster with reasonable talent that can be trusted to perform.

I respectfully disagree.  I don't think we need Free Agents to a major degree. 

Our own are mostly borderline worthless.  The few decent are not world beater expensive.

Yes, we would invest heavily in one (maybe two) FA O-linemen.  There are a couple that will be available, I leave individual preference for another debate.

But I believe the Draft Plan I laid out is:

1. Realistic (Adams can be moved, the positions will be available with great prospects at the spots listed).

2. Absolutely doable, and invests in two of the strongest positions in the 2020 Draft Class.

3. Eliminates the need for placeholder or JAG Free Agents.  

In point of fact, my plan is not to draft this entire new Offense and then make them all sit for years "learning" under aging veteran FA's or existing Jets JAG's.

I start all of those drafted O-linemen and WR's on day 1.  From the very start of teh first camp, my starting O unit is Sam, Bell, Herndon and this draft class.

Yes, it's risky.  Yes, it's brave.  Yes, it could fail.

But what is fail here?  Will we be the 32nd ranked Offense.....again?  Will Sam get hurt and miss time.....again?

We have nowhere to go but up.  Building a young Offense is the right path.  Investing in FA's (outside a very limited few) isn't.  JMO.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I'm saying let's assume those reports are true and Robby isn't back.  What's your plan for WR in that instance? 

People want to rip on the WR's people are picking out in free agency but don't have alternatives to suggest.

Sign Bresad /Robinson. What happens if they sign elsewhere. There's no law that says they have to sign here. we might have to overpay them. No to Sanders. He's 32 yrs old and his only time with more than 1000 yards receiving was when Manning was in Denver. He had slightly over 1000 yards his third year with Denver when Simien was the QB. That was a long time ago, in football years.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Ok. They should structure it this way.

Year one 5 million.

Year two 5 million

Year 3 and 4 will be 15mm each

A performance based contract would be justifiable.  I think he will be a great addition as a veteran WR with good hands. In addition, Gase and Sanders worked together in Denver.  

• If the choice is guaranteeing Sanders ~ $20mm for two years as opposed to ~$30mm for Robby, I don't think there is much of a choice,   In the world of Adam Gase, he knows that he can create an offense where Sanders catches the ball.  He looked ok last year for the 49ers. 
  • The psychology of Robby and the Jets is just over,  Firstly, I don't see Robby as a Gase/Douglas type of guy.  Once he hits the open market, I think that momentum takes over and Robby is gone.  
  • In today's NFL, I don't know how a team pays both money and draft picks for a player.  The call was for the Cowboys to give up a first last year for this year's draft so that Adams pushed them into the playoffs in an historically bad NFC East.   Both Jerry and Douglas missed that opportunity.  With a team that now has to pay its QB, WR and RB, the Cowboys need their draft picks.  They can't pay OL anymore-they need to draft replacements and hit on those draft picks.  I highly doubt the Cowboys trade for Adams now, at least a draft pick.
  • Why wouldn't the Cowboys trade Cooper to the Jets for Adams, with each team having to extend the contract.  No draft picks.  That could make sense.  The Cowboys then pick a WR at 17.

30 minutes ago, genot said:

Sign Bresad /Robinson. What happens if they sign elsewhere. There's no law that says they have to sign here. we might have to overpay them. No to Sanders. He's 32 yrs old and his only time with more than 1000 yards receiving was when Manning was in Denver. He had slightly over 1000 yards his third year with Denver when Simien was the QB. That was a long time ago, in football years.

That's cool if they sign elsewhere.  Robby can sign elsewhere too, you know.  There's no requirement that says we HAVE to try to fill our WR2 spot with a current free agent.  There's a reason these guys are getting let go by their current teams, just like there's a reason we don't want to pay Robby what he's demanding.  Building thru free agency is a fool's errand.  

It wouldn't be ideal for our top 2 WR slots to be filled by rookies.  But if that's how it turns out, that's OK by me.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's cool if they sign elsewhere.  Robby can sign elsewhere too, you know.  There's no requirement that says we HAVE to try to fill our WR2 spot with a current free agent.  There's a reason these guys are getting let go by their current teams, just like there's a reason we don't want to pay Robby what he's demanding.  Building thru free agency is a fool's errand.  

It wouldn't be ideal for our top 2 WR slots to be filled by rookies.  But if that's how it turns out, that's OK by me.  

index.jpg.11cd55f37a494788bd50252dde54ddf2.jpggiphy.gif.416a56f990bcc7c702408b6c5246812b.gifjtfp.gif.df87d487d61284c38b7baf95fc565299.gif

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This isn't an argument.  You think I'm being cheap.  I'm just being realistic.  Don't shoot the messenger.

I'm not shooting you. why wait another year to take care of our WR issues, when we could do it this year. With that attitude, the Jet's won't have a playoff roster until we're all dead and buried.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Demarcus Robinson is not much of a plan IMO.  I guess they have to add a guy like that and maybe the move is to add some lower tier guys and hope for a splash.  I think the idea in sh*tting on your names is that those guys are downgrades from Anderson.  If they are letting Anderson walk, I think my plan would be to let Vyncint Smith be the "take the top off guy" and fill in with the best non-slot guys that I could add.  I think Crowder and Berrios are solid in the slot, but they need bodies on the outside. 

Whenever I think about our WRs I want to scream at Maccagnan for extending Enunwa for all that money, when the same amount or less would have likely locked Anderson up well past the next CBA.  My wife says that I have to stop screaming so much.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Whether Robbie Anderson is here or jot next year will be totally dependant on whether Adam Gase likes him as a player or not.  The jets will be able to compete with most teams on his salary and I do not think other teams are going to love him so much they will go way over the top.

I think Gase hates him and he's going to get paid a lot more than Jets fans realize. He's 100% gone IMHO.

58 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think Gase hates him and he's going to get paid a lot more than Jets fans realize. He's 100% gone IMHO.

I have no idea what Gase thinks of Anderson, but it will really annoy me if we let Anderson go only to give Sanders a huge contract. 

There is a good argument to me made for not overpaying Anderson to keep him, but that argument falls apart if you then intend to overpay Sanders, who is much older and not a homegrown talent.  

All of these WRs are getting paid, so if you are going to pay any of them, it’s very likely going to be more money than you want. 

To me, you either resign Anderson (which sounds unlikely to happen), splurge on Cooper (who is only 25), or dedicate two of your top 4 picks to the WR position in what is a loaded draft class.

And, either way, you are still drafting at least one WR from this loaded draft class.  

• Upvote 2