ESPN predicts Emmanuel Sanders will sign with the Jets

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have no idea what Gase thinks of Anderson, but it will really annoy me if we let Anderson go only to give Sanders a huge contract. 

There is a good argument to me made for not overpaying Anderson to keep him, but that argument falls apart if you then intend to overpay Sanders, who is much older and not a homegrown talent.  

All of these WRs are getting paid, so if you are going to pay any of them, it’s very likely going to be more money than you want. 

To me, you either resign Anderson (which sounds unlikely to happen), splurge on Cooper (who is only 25), or dedicate two of your top 4 picks to the WR position in what is a loaded draft class.

And, either way, you are still drafting at least one WR from this loaded draft class.  

My general impression is that Gase likes his WRs to be 1) smart 2) hard working 3) well-rounded 4) high effort players who 5) run great routes.

I love Robby, but he checks literally none of those boxes. He's basically the exact opposite type of guy. This is obviously my conjecture but I just don't see him as someone the Jets would consider giving big money to under this regime.

Personally I think the draft is loaded with WR talent and that's where we should be replenishing the well. But I would not be surprised at all to see Gase sign a veteran WR who fits his mold.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1314357494_71jWA0cudL._SY445_.jpg.9e48e5b2572273bb91aadc393be5cade.jpg

4 hours ago, Gibby said:

Rochelle Rochelle - a young girls journey from Malin to Minsk. ?

4 hours ago, genot said:

Im getting that funny feeling between my legs. sort of like climbing rope in gym class, years gone bye.

3 hours ago, peebag said:

The Jets need to get hard.  Rock hard.

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

OMG, loved her

If my picture conveys anything, it's that I want the Jets to go deep this year!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, genot said:

I'm not shooting you. why wait another year to take care of our WR issues, when we could do it this year. With that attitude, the Jet's won't have a playoff roster until we're all dead and buried.

The mistake in your logic is that we're going to "fix" our WR situation with Robby or any of the free agents available.

My "fix" for the WR position is thru the draft.  

The goal isn't to compete for a Wild Card next year.  The goal is to become a perennial contender and get home playoff games.  That takes time. 

The desire to always go 9-7 the next season after a failed one is what gets this franchise into trouble.  Hopefully JD is smarter than that.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Demarcus Robinson is not much of a plan IMO.  I guess they have to add a guy like that and maybe the move is to add some lower tier guys and hope for a splash.  I think the idea in sh*tting on your names is that those guys are downgrades from Anderson.  If they are letting Anderson walk, I think my plan would be to let Vyncint Smith be the "take the top off guy" and fill in with the best non-slot guys that I could add.  I think Crowder and Berrios are solid in the slot, but they need bodies on the outside. 

Whenever I think about our WRs I want to scream at Maccagnan for extending Enunwa for all that money, when the same amount or less would have likely locked Anderson up well past the next CBA.  My wife says that I have to stop screaming so much.

You're Italian. Screaming is what we do.

When my daughter was young she thought my side of the family was always yelling. I told her no, that's just how we talk. Now she's one of the loudest at the table, lol.

59 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

My general impression is that Gase likes his WRs to be 1) smart 2) hard working 3) well-rounded 4) high effort players who 5) run great routes.

I love Robby, but he checks literally none of those boxes. He's basically the exact opposite type of guy. This is obviously my conjecture but I just don't see him as someone the Jets would consider giving big money to under this regime.

Personally I think the draft is loaded with WR talent and that's where we should be replenishing the well. But I would not be surprised at all to see Gase sign a veteran WR who fits his mold.

You could be right. (BTW, I would argue that Anderson has improved a lot at #5) 

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Surprised to see all this Barnwell slander. He's one of the smartest writers out there.

lol no.  He's a "volume writer".  He's not well-connected and is rarely correct about a lot of his predictions.  But he'll crank out a 3,000 word column and that's what he's good for. 

@Sperm Edwards or @Bleedin Green could do that just as well or better.  And in fact sometimes they do just that here but don't get paid for it.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

DeMarcus Robinson or Breshad Perriman.  You know, someone who isn't on a steep age-related decline, has shown potential, and whose best years are ahead of them, not behind.  

Hell, Phillip Dorsett does a good bit of what Robby does and would cost less than half of what Robby would.

Interest is a two way street. Who signs with the Jets for other than a massive, massive overpay? If money is equal, FAs go basically anywhere else.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Is there a HC that doesn’t want that from his WR’s?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol no.  He's a "volume writer".  He's not well-connected and is rarely correct about a lot of his predictions.  But he'll crank out a 3,000 word column and that's what he's good for. 

@Sperm Edwards or @Bleedin Green could do that just as well or better.  And in fact sometimes they do just that here but don't get paid for it.  

His job isn't supposed to be be well connected, he's not Schefter. He's an analytics guy. I think he's very smart, if a bit dry.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is there a HC that doesn’t want that from his WR’s?

Of course they all want that. But how much of that are they willing to sacrifice it in the name of talent? With most guys there's a balance -- every now and then you have a Larry Fitzgerald who checks every conceivable box but usually there's a give and a take.

My impression of Gase (and to a lesser degree Douglas who has incessantly preached character) is that they'd rather have Demarius Thomas on the cheap than pay for Robby Anderson.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The mistake in your logic is that we're going to "fix" our WR situation with Robby or any of the free agents available.

My "fix" for the WR position is thru the draft.  

The goal isn't to compete for a Wild Card next year.  The goal is to become a perennial contender and get home playoff games.  That takes time. 

The desire to always go 9-7 the next season after a failed one is what gets this franchise into trouble.  Hopefully JD is smarter than that.  

Sign Robby, draft a WR. We have two third rd picks. They'll be a punch of big possession type receivers available. Guys who have a chance to be just as productive as some of the top receivers on the board

35 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the whole WHAT TO DO AT WR CONVO here is a pretty good one...

RA could be part at a reasonable price...    

or not...

if you expect not so accurate balls to be won by Amari Cooper outfighting the DBs??  bad bet

He drops a bunch of passes too. Runs more quality routes than Robby. All those drops are the great equalizer.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He ran Landry out of Miami. he checks most, if not all of those boxes. Gase likes players who keep their mouth shut, and never question his genius.

7 minutes ago, genot said:

He ran Landry out of Miami. he checks most, if not all of those boxes. Gase likes players who keep their mouth shut, and never question his genius.

He didn't exactly run Landry out of Miami.  They franchised him and traded him rather than paying him 5/$75M with $50M guaranteed.  IIRC the Dolphins were over the cap even after trading him and Landry was arguably better in Miami than Cleveland.  

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He didn't exactly run Landry out of Miami.  They franchised him and traded him rather than paying him 5/$75M with $50M guaranteed.  IIRC the Dolphins were over the cap even after trading him and Landry was arguably better in Miami than Cleveland.  

He went into Gase's office. talked about his role and thought he'd help the team more by playing more on the outside and running deeper routes. Gase told him to keep his mouth shut and i'll run the offense the way i want to run it. every beat reporter reported the same thing. That was why he was run out of town.

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I have no idea what Gase thinks of Anderson, but it will really annoy me if we let Anderson go only to give Sanders a huge contract. 

There is a good argument to me made for not overpaying Anderson to keep him, but that argument falls apart if you then intend to overpay Sanders, who is much older and not a homegrown talent.  

All of these WRs are getting paid, so if you are going to pay any of them, it’s very likely going to be more money than you want. 

To me, you either resign Anderson (which sounds unlikely to happen), splurge on Cooper (who is only 25), or dedicate two of your top 4 picks to the WR position in what is a loaded draft class.

And, either way, you are still drafting at least one WR from this loaded draft class.  

Gase threw Anderson under the bus after the first game of the season. Talked publicly about the routes his receivers were running. Who do you think he was referring too. It's never Gases's fault. it's always someone else. he's an assh....

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3000 words is like a summary of a single chapter of mine. Or the first third of the chapter. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2020 at 11:28 PM, 82nd Airborne said:

Get it done!

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/espn-predicts-emmanuel-sanders-will-sign-with-the-jets-613796.html

ESPN’s Bill Barwell wrote a predictions column about possible moves we could see in free agency this in a month that could have a domino effect and cause chaos around the league. Barnwell involved the San Francisco 49ers in two deals, both surrounding the wide receiver position. The first move includes Emmanuel Sanders going to another team. Barnwell has Sanders signing a four-year, $40 million deal with the New York Jets:

With Quincy Enunwa’s future uncertain after suffering his second neck injury in three years, the Jets could add a replacement for the 27-year-old by signing Sanders. The SMU product played well after returning from a torn Achilles and enjoyed his time under Jets coach Adam Gase when both were in Denver.

Emmanuel Sanders says he’ll play at a high level well into his 30s

The real takeaway here is that it’s going to be tough for the 49ers to retain Sanders. He’s going to have suitors, and someone is going to pay him a lot of money. Sanders did everything that the 49ers asked of him, and then some. In an offense that was more wide receiver centric, Sanders puts up bigger numbers, and it would be tougher to let him leave. I think Sanders was as good as he showed in the first few games where he went over 100 yards twice.

Top 2 wrs sub 6'?  I'd fire the GM for suggesting it.

If Jets go for a vet WR, go for AJ Green, if he can pass a physical.  He doesnt have to be who he was in his prime, just a reliable possession guy and big red zone target.  Still only 31, so there tread left on the tires.

2nd choice probably Robert Woods.  Guy has cap casualty written all over him.  1.177 dead cap, 8mill savings.  Offer a 5 or 6 and give him a couple yr extension.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, genot said:

He went into Gase's office. talked about his role and thought he'd help the team more by playing more on the outside and running deeper routes. Gase told him to keep his mouth shut and i'll run the offense the way i want to run it. every beat reporter reported the same thing. That was why he was run out of town.

You are giving the reasoning for something that didn't happen. Yes, Gase and Landry butted heads.  No, they didn't run him out of town.  The Jets ran Osemele out of town.  The Dolphins ran Ajayi out of town.  Tagging a guy and moving him for picks is not running him out of town.  Maybe they didn't value him super highly, but the Jets didn't run Abraham out of town.  Landry and Gase were always butting heads, yet he played out his entire contract. 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You are giving the reasoning for something that didn't happen. Yes, Gase and Landry butted heads.  No, they didn't run him out of town.  The Jets ran Osemele out of town.  The Dolphins ran Ajayi out of town.  Tagging a guy and moving him for picks is not running him out of town.  Maybe they didn't value him super highly, but the Jets didn't run Abraham out of town.  Landry and Gase were always butting heads, yet he played out his entire contract. 

IncompleteMadeupGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif.6991efb75cd629ba7700aeecaac45327.gifMaybe.......................Probably.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2020 at 11:46 PM, Maxman said:

The Jets are going to give 40 million dollars to a 32 year old receiver who has 800 yards the past two seasons? His last 1,000 yard season was 5 years ago.

Who wrote this article, his agent?

I like it when I am right. Doesn't happen much.

Sanders had appealing NFC options. Sanders spoke with the Dallas Cowboys and the Green Bay Packers but preferred to wind up with the Saints, where he landed a $16 million deal worth up to $19 million, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28933511/emmanuel-sanders-agrees-2-year-deal-saints

• Upvote 2

At this point, id prefer Sanders to Enunwa.  If we can get Sanders for 3 yrs 25 million but only 10 guaranteed, Id sign up for that.  Gives us an upgrade at the position and if he gets injured or his play deteriorates, he is easily cut with no pain.   For 4 yrs 40 million, Id pass.   Prefer Anderson at those prices.

• Upvote 1