Patriot Killa

Cam Newton/Panthers will part ways.

Another team that could possibly look to move up in the draft. I believe this draft class has a small run on QB’s in the 1st round(like 2018) making picks 11-15 more valuable than before.

2313FB83-17C5-4542-9705-507E61DBAEFF.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Great hair, not!!!  This makes it more likely that 4 QB's are going in the top 10

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Another team that could possibly look to move up in the draft. I believe this draft class has a small run on QB’s in the 1st round(like 2018) making picks 11-15 more valuable than before.

Wow, if this is true, add another name to the list of veteran QBs teams seem willing to walk away from this offseason. I don't remember anything like what we're seeing now, I wonder if this has as much to do with their salary to team cap ratio as it does their ability.

The bad part of it is all these veteran QBs becoming available doesn't bode well for our hopes that teams look to trade up for a QB this year. Why give up massive amounts of draft capital when you can renegotiate a deal with a proven vet?

This will be a very interesting and new scenario to watch play out the next few months, and the domino effect with guys like Carr and Brissett, etal will add to the intrigue.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Great hair, not!!!  This makes it more likely that 4 QB's are going in the top 10

You might be right, but I look at this glutting of the market the exact opposite way you do.

Why give up massive amounts of draft picks to move up? Stay put, take who is there, or sign a vet. Why mortgage your future for an unknown quantity when you have so many other options?

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

My guess is Cam will be replacing RuePaul on Dragrace. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, The Crusher said:

Not that there's anything wrong with that... 😜

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Credit to Tepper for taking some risks and challenging the status quo. And hell, the Panthers have been a relatively successful organization. One can only hope...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

He’s turning into Dennis Rodman. I’m starting to think he has something wrong upstairs and needs help. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, slats said:

These proven vets are on the market because they've either proven they're not the guy, or that they're not the guy anymore. Paying Kirk Cousins and Nick Foles hasn't worked. Peyton Manning is the exception to the rule, and some team may pay Brady to try to duplicate that, but none of these other guys are worth major coin. 

Teams are catching onto the fact that the shortcut to getting to the Super Bowl is landing a franchise QB in the draft, and building around him before his rookie contract is up. 

That does seem to be a trend, what with Wentz, Goff and Mahomes. But...when you look closer, it's just about getting lucky, and finding the right guy. Just like it's always been.  Are the Jets, Browns, Cardinals and Bears any closer to the Super Bowl then they were before drafting young QBs? Nope.

There's really no rhyme or reason. The Eagles got their ring (with Foles) and chose to give Wentz the massive deal. Now what? Goff and the Rams got there, lost, and again, now what? The 49ers decided to trade for and give Garrafolo a huge deal after he sat behind Brady, and that looks to be the better move.

The Cowboys and Seahawks got good to great value with mid round picks Prescott and Wilson, but now the 'Boys have a big decision, and Wilson is eating up a huge amount of cap. At least Wilson is worth it, I don't think Dak is.

Mahomes is the only guy who truly fits your narrative. He got the Chiefs their ring inside the "rookie window" and looks like he's poised to win more. The Texans and Watson? The Bills and Allen? Two '19 playoff teams that I'd be shocked to see get a ring "in the window".

Last years rookie QBs and their teams are also a far way off. That "get the QB and win before his rookie deal is up" sounds a lot better then its worked out when you really examine it.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Credit to Tepper for taking some risks and challenging the status quo. And hell, the Panthers have been a relatively successful organization. One can only hope...

One can only hope what?  I don't get it

1 minute ago, Jet hustle said:

One can only hope what?  I don't get it

Think harder

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, slats said:

Teams are catching onto the fact that the shortcut to getting to the Super Bowl is landing a franchise QB in the draft, and building around him before his rookie contract is up. 

Which blows because penalizing a team for having to pay a good-plus 30 year old QB is stupid. Consider how much fun the Chiefs could be for the next ten years, but we’ll never see it because Mahomes will get paid while the rest of the team gets stripped away. It’s ridiculously counterproductive and sad

• Upvote 3

It also feels like a bunch of teams are going to tank this season for a shot at Trevor Lawrence and/or Justin Fields 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Which blows because penalizing a team for having to pay a good-plus 30 year old QB is stupid. Consider how much fun the Chiefs could be for the next ten years, but we’ll never see it because Mahomes will get paid while the rest of the team gets stripped away. It’s ridiculously counterproductive and sad

I don't think it's that stupid. It insures some level of parity. 

The problem isn't paying Mahomes a fortune. They'll be very good for a long time with a healthy Mahomes and his bloated contract provided they are smart with the rest of their cap space and draft properly. It won't be easy, but it shouldn't be easy. 

The problem is with guys like Goff who you can with when he is on his rookie contract but when he demands 25 million a year, you are in a lose/lose situation. If you don't pay him, you have to start from scratch. If you do pay him, he simply isn't good enough to offset the amount of salary cap space he takes up.  

And the Rams realized this, went all in with high priced vets and traded away a ton of draft capital. It backfired and now they are in some serious trouble imo. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't think it's that stupid. It insures some level of parity. 

The problem isn't paying Mahomes a fortune. They'll be very good for a long time with a healthy Mahomes and his bloated contract provided they are smart with the rest of their cap space and draft properly. It won't be easy, but it shouldn't be easy. 

The problem is with guys like Goff who you can with when he is on his rookie contract but when he demands 25 million a year, you are in a lose/lose situation. If you don't pay him, you have to start from scratch. If you do pay him, he simply isn't good enough to offset the amount of salary cap space he takes up.  

And the Rams realized this, went all in with high priced vets and traded away a ton of draft capital. It backfired and now they are in some serious trouble imo. 

But, to this point, the Rams looked to be one of the exciting young teams in the league and now they’re doomed because of one contract. Who wins in that scenario? The Jets are coming up on a similar scenario—they’re going to have to pay Darnold $22 mil plus and the rest of the team will be pretty much balls and ass. This helps parity? No. It suppresses greatness

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But, to this point, the Rams looked to be one of the exciting young teams in the league and now they’re doomed because of one contract. Who wins in that scenario? The Jets are coming up on a similar scenario—they’re going to have to pay Darnold $22 mil plus and the rest of the team will be pretty much balls and ass. This helps parity? No. It suppresses greatness

If the guy you are building around is Goff then yes it hurts.  I think Goff is vastly overrated. He just plays in a great system with a very good supporting cast on offense and some really good players on defense. 

If you have Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Brees and a few others you can be a super bowl contender with a bloated QB contract on your books. 

As for Darnold, if he turns out to be like Goff then yeah, we'll be screwed. Let's hope he turns out much better.

• Upvote 1

So as of now we've got Brady, Newton, Rivers, Tannehill, Jameis Winston, Dak Prescott, Mariota, and Teddy Bridgewater hitting FA?  Is that right?

I know a few of them will go back to their old teams (possibly Brady, probably Dak, possibly Tannehill) but others definitely won't.  This really sets up an odd 2020 free agency period.

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You might be right, but I look at this glutting of the market the exact opposite way you do.

Why give up massive amounts of draft picks to move up? Stay put, take who is there, or sign a vet. Why mortgage your future for an unknown quantity when you have so many other options?

Because there are big names, not a real glut of talent though.  Rivers, Flacco, Cam maybe Brady?  Eli should have stuck around

16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

To Miami he goes

Every QB is gets a Miami post here. 

And of course Tua Is rumored to be their real target.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It also feels like a bunch of teams are going to tank this season for a shot at Trevor Lawrence and/or Justin Fields 

NE lets Brady walk, starts a sh*t QB, NE tanks, Belly saves face because the starting QB is awful then they sign Lawrence and restart the franchise. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because there are big names, not a real glut of talent though.  Rivers, Flacco, Cam maybe Brady?  Eli should have stuck around

I agree, but it depends where a team is at. Look at the Titans. They're a solid team that caught fire at the right time. They got to the AFCC game with a journeyman QB throwing for under 100 yards. Then look at the numbers Garrafollo put up in the playoffs.

Remember what Parcells said? Its all about getting into the tournament, if you do, and get hot, anything can happen.

I'm not saying these guys are going to turn around a franchise, I'm just saying they're a viable option, as opposed to a bad team giving up a ton of picks to move up, get one of these guys and stick him on a roster with nobody good around him. You can then choose to either take a QB in your slot, or wait and use those picks to solidify your roster and take a QB down the road, but don't give up valuable picks on a guy who won't be able to carry your team alone.

To be honest, if I were a GM, I wouldn't make a big move up for a QB unless I knew I was ready to win. The Titans are a good example, and the Bears were too. They just took the wrong guy in Trubisky. They had the right idea though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

This is great news!

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

They pick 7th. All this conjecture of them drafting a QB in the first would just push a non-QB down to our range. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

They pick 7th. All this conjecture of them drafting a QB in the first would just push a non-QB down to our range. 

Which isn’t bad either

No team should touch Cam as long as he stays vegan.  Production will continue to fade and will have a hard time recovering from injury.

Head to youtube and look up Rogan talking about vegan athletes.  He rattles off guys who went vegan, saw production slip and they had to add meat back in.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

they’re going to have to pay Darnold $22 mil

why would you pay the 26th ranked qb this $$$??

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d put a “Star player” cap reduction in the new CBA.

So you can look forward to Jamal being ours 😁