How much more does Darnold step up his game

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

only 10 int? i'll bet you 100$ if you got the balls.

I'm not giving an e-weirdo contact info to pay off a bet.  I would counter with an avatar bet, but i am just over a 6month ban so it could be pointless.

Half his ints last year were in back to back games.  If ya wipe those 2 abberations, 7 in 11 games.  That goes to 3.5 in 5.5, so over 16 games 10.5.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

with just average or better but real NFL talent on the OL?

Cool stats. It leaves out a big part of the picture however. In weeks 10-17 we faced the

#24, #28,#30,#31#32 ranked pass defense by dvoa

We also played the Bill's who rested starters.

We had 2 tough defenses in that span (Pitss and Baltimore)

Thats 5 of 8 games against the worst pass defenses the nfl has to offer, and 1 against a team not even trying to win. 6/8, 75% creampuffs

This is why Sam's DVOA and DYAR in year 2 where lower than year 1. He played a lot of really really bad defenses .

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

Cool stats. It leaves out a big part of the picture however. In weeks 10-17 we faced the

#24, #28,#30,#31#32 ranked pass defense by dvoa

We also played the Bill's who rested starters.

We had 2 tough defenses in that span (Pitss and Baltimore)

Thats 5 of 8 games against the worst pass defenses the nfl has to offer, and 1 against a team not even trying to win. 6/8, 75% creampuffs

This is why Sam's DVOA and DYAR in year 2 where lower than year 1. He played a lot of really really bad defenses .

Just now, JiF said:

Impressive but the smart guys around here know the real stats and will poopoo all over this doodoo. 

case in point

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

If the o-line moves from PFF's #28 to the 16-20 range, he should go from C- to a solid B. 

13 games, 7-6 record, 3000yds, 19td, 14int, in his first year in the offense, behind a junk o-line.  7 of those ints came in 2 games, back to back weeks.

I think with a 2nd yr in the system, health, a mediocre o-line and the Pats film crew shut down, 4000yds, 25 tds, 10int, 9-10 wins and a wild card berth should be the floor for expectations.  

Yeah but QBR, DVOAYYARAR, and other coooooool stuff that dosent take anything around Sam in to factor says he sucks and those stats are right because I like those stats more than the other stats. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

case in point

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yeah but QBR, DVOAYYARAR, and other coooooool stuff that dosent take anything around Sam in to factor says he sucks and those stats are right because I like those stats more than the other stats. 

It doesnt take a smart guy to understand level of competition matters, it does take a dumb one to not consider it

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Advanced stats are junk.  A nerd at a computer looking over #s  is no replacement for a scout watching games and tape.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

It doesnt take a smart guy to understand the level of talent around a QB matters, it does take a dumb one not consider it. 

Who isn't considering it? Strawman.  If I wasn't considering it I'd be advocating for drafting a QB or bringing in one of these vets, cause the numbers say Darnold is basically the worst QB in football the last 2 years.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

Sams best game of the year came against Dallas, 10th in passing yds allowed.  72% completion rate for 338.

And the amazing thing about that game is Edoga held his own against Lawrence. That was the difference in the game & you got a glimpse of what Sam is capable of. Protect Sam & get him some weapons and we'll see more games like that in 2020.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

Who isn't considering it? Strawman.  If I wasn't considering it I'd be advocating for drafting a QB or bringing in one of these vets, cause the numbers say Darnold is basically the worst QB in football the last 2 years.

You're not considering it as you bashed these stats presented by the OP and pooped all over Sam's performance over the the last 7 weeks.  And as I've said 1000x before, none of your fancy meaningless advanced stats  you live by consider it either. 

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Obviously some of his picks were just bad decisions which I can’t blame the oline for.  But those are things that can be cleaned up.  However there is no doubt in the world that a better oline will decrease the amount of picks substantially 

When yer o-line is a revolving door and yer behind, ya dont have time to make good decisions.  Jags game, 3int & 8 sacks.  The 4 int Pats game, Belichek just werked him, like he does almost all young qbs.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, slats said:

People around here love to dismiss their "weaponzzzz" as if good QBs step on the field and instantly transform the team around them. Football is a team game, and you need a team around a QB, and you need coaching. Sam's been lacking in both. Yet, when you watch the offense when he's in there vs. when he's not, the difference is night and day. The kid is a good QB on a terrible team. Hopefully JD can get the Jets up to league average in talent in one off season and Gase doesn't suck.  

Who are these people? We goof on people who pin it all on "Weaponzzz" but I'm quite certain everyone understands their value, I don't know a single person who isn't looking for Jets to focus on offense this offseason (or last offseason for the matter). If we thought it was 100% QB, why would we care about drafting offense or bringing in offensive FA's

re:bolded.  Yes as if. That's exactly what happens all the time. QB makes everyone better and is by far the most important element in running a successful offense..  The most recent example would be TN who played 6 games with Mariotta and 6 games with Tannenhill who isn't even very good imo. This is simplistic analysis but as far as I know the QB change was the only significant change which lead to a massive increase of production across the board.

W/Mariotta they were 2-4, averaged 16.3 PPG and 290.5 YPG

W/Tannenhill they were 7-3, averaged 30.4 PPG and 406.2 YPG

Derrick Henry went from 3.68 YPC and 69 yards a game to 5.92 YPC and 113 YPG.

19 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're not considering it as you bashed these stats presented by the OP and pooped all over Sam's performance over the the last 7 weeks.  And as I've said 1000x before, none of your fancy meaningless advanced stats  you live by consider it either. 

I provided context. Sam having a good back half of the season is not predictive of future success because he played a bunch of tin cans.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

And the amazing thing about that game is Edoga held his own against Lawrence. That was the difference in the game & you got a glimpse of what Sam is capable of. Protect Sam & get him some weapons and we'll see more games like that in 2020.

I am far from thinking Darnold is the 2nd coming, but the kid seems to be progressing like he should be. 

This isnt a Sanchez situation where all world o-line & running game is making him look better than he is.  Kid is young and learning on the job w/o a lot of help

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, CTM said:

Who are these people? We goof on people who pin it all on "Weaponzzz" but I'm quite certain everyone understands their value, I don't know a single person who isn't looking for Jets to focus on offense this offseason (or last offseason for the matter). If we thought it was 100% QB, why would we care about drafting offense or bringing in offensive FA's

I'm not calling out anyone right now, but we have a warehouse full of weaponzzzz posts from the Geno & Sanchize days, and some of those folks continue with the same arguments today. We've had people here prioritizing backup QB as a major need. Anyone looking to throw major resources at a backup QB this year, on this team, is putting way to much weight on the QB position, and dismissing the importance of the pieces around the QB, IMHO. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, CTM said:

I provided context. Sam having a good back half of the season is not predictive of future success because he played a bunch of tin cans.

No you didnt.  You provided fancy "stats" about the teams he's faced to basically say that his 7 game stretch, actually wasnt impressive but just like your fancy stats you didnt provide anything regarding the fact that Sam Darnold played behind a historically bad OL on the worst offensive team in Football. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

No you didnt.  You provided fancy "stats" about the teams he's faced to basically say that his 7 game stretch, actually wasnt impressive but just like your fancy stats you didnt provide anything regarding the fact that Sam Darnold played behind a historically bad OL on the worst offensive team in Football. 

I've asked this before but link for historically bad oline? I'm not convinced it was worst line this year, let alone historically bad.

And why would I need to provide anything to support the main stream narrative that most jet fans accept? Are you a grade schooler that needs any criticism or context clarified and softened by repeating the obvious? ffs

22 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not calling out anyone right now, but we have a warehouse full of weaponzzzz posts from the Geno & Sanchize days, and some of those folks continue with the same arguments today. We've had people here prioritizing backup QB as a major need. Anyone looking to throw major resources at a backup QB this year, on this team, is putting way to much weight on the QB position, and dismissing the importance of the pieces around the QB, IMHO. 

And how did that warheouse full of weaponzzz posts play out in regards to Geno and Sanchez?

And they are valid today. Sam is a bad QB today who also happens to be in a bad situation thanks to Mac. Both things are true. Anybody that thinks Sam doesn't deserve a good chunk of the responsibility is kidding themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1