How much more does Darnold step up his game

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

If only everyone agreed to think and saw things the same way. World would be so much simpler. 

Or .. every one could you know, genuinely consider alternative information even if it doesnt fit thier bias, preconceived notions and/or eye testes

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would say the best solution is a combination of all. And don't hug anything 100% of the time and call it fact.

Facts are that Darnold played a very weak slate of defenses in last 8 games. Another fact is that he holds the ball longer than most QB's.

These are not debatable.

What is debatable is how this information fits into an overall Darnold analysis.  They fit very nicely into my view of him as an extremely raw but talented player. He's a puncher, not a boxer and maybe a top 5 pick for an unstructured game of beach football but thus far leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the traits that consistently winning QB's like Brees, Brady and Manning consistantly display.

I would very much like to significantly improve the talent around Darnold, which I think increases the likelihood that he puts it together and actually becomes a good QB.  So we do that and see how next year goes. I don't believe this is in anyway a controversial opinion, but for some reason acknowledging outloud that Darnold is not a good QB today is triggering. That is fun to troll sometimes, I admit.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, CTM said:

Facts are that Darnold played a very weak slate of defenses in last 8 games. Another fact is that he holds the ball longer than most QB's.

These are not debatable.

What is debatable is how this information fits into an overall Darnold analysis.  They fit very nicely into my view of him as an extremely raw but talented player. He's a puncher, not a boxer and maybe a top 5 pick for an unstructured game of beach football but thus far leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the traits that consistently winning QB's like Brees, Brady and Manning consistantly display.

I would very much like to significantly improve the talent around Darnold, which I think increases the likelihood that he puts it together and actually becomes a good QB.  So we do that and see how next year goes. I don't believe this is in anyway a controversial opinion, but for some reason acknowledging outloud that Darnold is not a good QB today is triggering. That is fun to troll sometimes, I admit.

I agree with all of this. Would I do not agree with is hugging any particular stat, and making pronouncements. That is all.

30 minutes ago, CTM said:

These are not debatable.

How do you not realize you're actually hammering home the point that the Offensive Line was bad by using the bad team argument?

Despite how bad these teams are (#24, #28,#30,#31#32 ranked pass defense by dvoa - your stats), Sam still was pressured more than any QB in the league during that time.

Furthermore, he played well.  He did what you're supposed to do.  He played well vs bad defenses.

I'm really struggling to see how any of your points make sense.  I like Sam.  I'm not sold on Sam.  I need to see a big improvement from him this coming year or I'll be as skeptical as you are, but I won't make the points you're making, because they're terrible.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, CTM said:

These are not debatable.

he's andy dalton and we sold the farm for this. ie- sh*tty retrun on draft capital.

55 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So then, qbs that beak out of the pocket have more time to throw. Amazing. That does not equate to being given great pass protection, which some seem to allude to here. That Darnold did not face pressure.

No. Thats NOT The argument. the argument, is that he processes the game slow. if he was prssured so much youd think his TT would be low cos he has to get rid of it faster.

btw, EVERYONE ADMITS THE OL WAS CRAP.

7 minutes ago, Jets512 said:

How do you not realize you're actually hammering home the point that the Offensive Line was bad by using the bad team argument?

Despite how bad these teams are (#24, #28,#30,#31#32 ranked pass defense by dvoa - your stats), Sam still was pressured more than any QB in the league during that time.

I never said the Oline wasn't bad. In fact I acknowledge it over and over by stating I want to draft OL and/or sign FA OL.

However, QB sacks / pressures are a QB stat as well. There's another stat that suggests he holds the ball longer than most QB's. Was this pressure stat controlled for that? I don't think so, I don't even see it sourced but tbh I don't care if it's true or not. Sam is a talented guy that can fare well against bad teams. Just like Chad used to use his play not to lose philosophy to beat bad teams. It's not hard to look good against bad teams

https://www.thebiglead.com/2018/10/19/sacks-are-a-quarterback-stat/

4 hours ago, PepPep said:

This is what I'm thinking. One thing I will say is a playoff berth I'm not sure about, just depends on how good the TEAM is and how many wins it will take to get a wild card. Who knows, we may need 11 wins to get a wild card berth.  

11 wins aint happening unless the Jets luck i to some injury riddled opponents.

32 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Can someone please explain to me what I should glean from Sam’s TT in ‘18 & ‘19 being identical to the league MVPs in those years? Thanks.

That the people harping on it are trolling or choked on chicken bones in their youth.

Advanced stats are nerds trying to ruin sports by over thinking.  Same as they did for coffee, weed and beer.  Wish they stuck to music.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

ChadTheMan hates Sam and clings to any awful stat to try to prove his viewpoint, all while spelling tests with an extra e.

Accurate summation of this thread?

you're a shriveled up smelly sack of eye testes

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

We need numders, data on this...   he makes a few plays on the move. DO you think the other QBs dont make a few plays on the move as well?

“A few?”

Do you guys actually watch the Jets play? 

Extending plays with his feet and throwing on the run has been Darnold’s biggest strength since he was in college. 

You are trying too hard 

• Upvote 1

“A few?”
Do you guys actually watch the Jets play? 
Extending plays with his feet and throwing on the run has been Darnold’s biggest strength since he was in college. 

You are trying too hard 
Throwing picks of his back foot ... Seeing ghosts ... Getting sacked in field goal range ...

... I hope he improves ... He needs to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

No. Thats NOT The argument. the argument, is that he processes the game slow. if he was prssured so much youd think his TT would be low cos he has to get rid of it faster.

*sigh

No.

There are two things you can do when you get pressured - you can immediately get rid of the ball or you can avoid the pressure and keep the play alive with your legs. 

You are ignoring the second possibility. Conveniently, this is what Darnold does. Big Ben does the same thing, FYI. 

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lol. Now please opine:

I mean 2019 is kinda self explanatory I think. Do you think LJ is a future successful pocket passer god forbid he lose his mobility?

2018 Mahommes was a 1st year player and both he and Darnold attempted a lot of deeper routes, Reids offense certainly by design. Is it really a surprise that a young QB wouldn't be Drew Brees'ing his way through his reads? The guy is just a ridiculously talented, probably the most talented QB i've seen

19 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

*sigh

No.

There are two things you can do when you get pressured - you can immediately get rid of the ball or you can avoid the pressure and keep the play alive with your legs. 

You are ignoring the second possibility. Conveniently, this is what Darnold does. Big Ben does the same thing, FYI. 

@CTM  just introduced Los’ to a new metric that can be used to slam Darnold merely 3 hours ago and now los’ is explaining to you all how it works like he invented it.

nice work. this is effectively your fault CTM lol.

• Haha 1