OBJ wants to come to the Jets

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Uh, no.  But the $$$$ spent on Bell could have been better used on the OLine with a rookie RB behind it.  It's time to stop signing and trading for these types of guys IMO.  There's a reason OBJ seems to be available....this is supposedly one of the most talented WRs in the League and he'd be heading to his 3rd team while he's still only 27???  If the Giants couldn't deal with him how do we think he'll do here with the Jets?  I'd rather keep our Draft picks (and our $$$) and build a youthful team that can grow the culture, not upend it.  I've seen enough Trumaine Johnsons.  The NFL is about to be flooded with a dozen elite WRs who are all about 21-22 years old.

I'm not sure taking this on is a great idea but what do I know?

1421797878_ScreenShot2020-02-19at8_26_12PM.png.5249344e7b086d5b98debf972ceadfeb.png

The NFL is about to be flooded with 21-22 year old wide receivers that have never played the game in the big leagues.  OBJ is a known commodity and an absolute stud.. At 28 years old in November, With plenty of tread on the tires.  Give me OBJ for 3 years and than draft a number one in his last year.  Once again.    Get someone who has already done it and has something to prove.  He wants a ring.  Just like anyone else.  It is the ultimate prize.  Crazy or not.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Truth said:

The NFL is about to be flooded with 21-22 year old wide receivers that have never played the game in the big leagues.  OBJ is a known commodity and an absolute stud.. At 28 years old in November, With plenty of tread on the tires.  Give me OBJ for 3 years and than draft a number one in his last year.  Once again.    Get someone who has already done it and has something to prove.  He wants a ring.  Just like anyone else.  It is the ultimate prize.  Crazy or not.

OBJ sucked last year because Baker sucks

Give OBJ a real QB like Sam he will wreck it

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Uh, no.  But the $$$$ spent on Bell could have been better used on the OLine with a rookie RB behind it.  It's time to stop signing and trading for these types of guys IMO.  There's a reason OBJ seems to be available....this is supposedly one of the most talented WRs in the League and he'd be heading to his 3rd team while he's still only 27???  If the Giants couldn't deal with him how do we think he'll do here with the Jets?  I'd rather keep our Draft picks (and our $$$) and build a youthful team that can grow the culture, not upend it.  I've seen enough Trumaine Johnsons.  The NFL is about to be flooded with a dozen elite WRs who are all about 21-22 years old.

I'm not sure taking this on is a great idea but what do I know?

1421797878_ScreenShot2020-02-19at8_26_12PM.png.5249344e7b086d5b98debf972ceadfeb.png

As usual, your response is reasonable, very much so.

Just remember though, if this report is true, we have a unique opportunity to add an elite talent to a position where we desperately need talent.

We don't know what it would take to get him, and I can see arguing about the cost of acquiring him, but not the course of paying him. His contract is uniquely advantageous for a team that wants to add him. He can be cut after one, two or however many years left with zero cap ramifications.

To me, it's a win-win scenario. Add the elite WR you hoped to in FA or the draft, you can always draft another if you like, or you have the chance to draft another player for the OL, CB or ER position then you would have prior.

What exactly is the downside except he's (shudder) eccentric?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

As usual, your response is reasonable, very much so.

Just remember though, if this report is true, we have a unique opportunity to add an elite talent to a position where we desperately need talent.

We don't know what it would take to get him, and I can see arguing about the cost of acquiring him, but not the course of paying him. His contract is uniquely advantageous for a team that wants to add him. He can be cut after one, two or however many years left with zero cap ramifications.

To me, it's a win-win scenario. Add the elite WR you hoped to in FA or the draft, you can always draft another if you like, or you have the chance to draft another player for the OL, CB or ER position then you would have prior.

What exactly is the downside except he's (shudder) eccentric?

I think this is similar to the Jamal Adams debates around here.  An eccentric talent who is a young, Pro Bowl caliber player and will require very big $$$.  Is it worth giving up a Draft pick(s) AND paying OBJ $15M per year?  Perhaps it is....but I just see some red flags around OBJ.  I don't just mean smacking a cop on the ass at the LSU game or throwing money at players on the field.  There have been some injury concerns, there have been some fist-fights he's had with a kicking net.  He'd be turning 28 and will have been traded twice.  None of those things by itself mean the Jets shouldn't consider this....but there's a bit of a cocktail of worrisome issues in there that when you stir them together give me pause.

I don't want the Jets to be like the horny college kid at a party who ends up sleeping with the ugly chick because he was desperate and drunk.  The Jets are craving a WR and OBJ is a big-time talent.  The eyes will get wide and they will drool....but I'd pump the brakes and make sure the Jets aren't enamored while wearing beer goggles here.

The money is known so maybe that's not a huge factor if the Jets can absorb it.  And, I could certainly make the case that paying OBJ $15M per year is better than paying Robby Anderson $12M per year.  It may simply come down to the Draft pick compensation.  I wouldn't want to use any of our Day 1 or 2 picks.  That means a 4th rounder.  Don't know if Cleveland would take that.  I probably wouldn't.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

OBJ sucked last year because Baker sucks

Give OBJ a real QB like Sam he will wreck it

OBJ sucked in part because he was injured all season apparently.  The positive is that you'd have to expect him to heal and be better in 2020.  The negative is that this guy is like a Ferrari.....he goes 150mph....but he also spends a ton of time in the garage getting repaired.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Truth said:

Once again,  he is top 3 in the league.  I dont care if you have to slam a pacifier in his mouth to suck on at halftime.  He is an amazing talent.  Which  the Jets have been missing since I dont know maybe since  Al Toon.  This team never has Stars.    Stop worrying about the locker room.  He will come in and make plays.  Everyone says we have no identity.  reason,  when you never have stars there is no identity.

The 2 biggest stars this team has had since Toon.  Curtis Martin and Revis.  Name me one bigger than them 2 since 1988.  I will answer that none.

Now we could have Adams, Sam, Bell and Beckham.  Yes I like those chances.

lol first of all my post was a tongue in cheek joke to the poster I quoted. So there's that.

But since you asked... 

You just answered your own question. Adams AND Bell are both biggest stars than Toon was. I loved Toon as much as the next guy but no one knew who he was outside of NY for most of his career and I would guess 90% of NFL fans wouldn't know who he was today. Except in NY of course. Hell even Fitzpatrick is a bigger star than toon. And I don't care so much about Stars as I do teams. 

That all aside, I don't want obj because he's a complete jackass. He wants to come back to NY for coverage and exposure. You think he really thinks the Jets are some sort of good football move for him? What are you smoking? Sure he's talented. No one would try to say otherwise, but he sure as hell didn't help Cleveland become anything last season even with his 1000 yds.  And that was with a host of other talented players around him.  The Browns offense was lightyears more talented than the Jets and we pick one spot after them in May. He doesn't help a team as much as he is supposed to. I don't want him anywhere near my young QB and impressionable young core we will be bringing in here. 

obj will go down in history as an after thought loser. His most memorable moments outside of one truly spectacular catch are his fights with both Josh Norman and the Kicking net. Didn't he actually go to the sideline and propose to the same kicking net after the fight with it? The guy is a joke man. 

You want to give away a #2 pick in the deepest WR draft in a decade for the right to pay an a$$hole $15.5 mil a year? I sure don't. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well it looks like Jamal won’t be helping in recruiting Beckham 

B9C3E539-964B-457E-8C0D-569C1DB11A5A.png

LOL

Jamal has wised up.  OBJ is being paid an average of $15M per year....which is exactly where Jamal wants to start his negotiations at.  He ain't going to encourage trading for a guy who will take his money.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol first of all my post was a tongue in cheek joke to the poster I quoted. So there's that.

But since you asked... 

You just answered your own question. Adams AND Bell are both biggest stars than Toon was. I loved Toon as much as the next guy but no one knew who he was outside of NY for most of his career and I would guess 90% of NFL fans wouldn't know who he was today. Except in NY of course. Hell even Fitzpatrick is a bigger star than toon. And I don't care so much about Stars as I do teams. 

That all aside, I don't want obj because he's a complete jackass. He wants to come back to NY for coverage and exposure. You think he really thinks the Jets are some sort of good football move for him? What are you smoking? Sure he's talented. No one would try to say otherwise, but he sure as hell didn't help Cleveland become anything last season even with his 1000 yds.  And that was with a host of other talented players around him.  The Browns offense was lightyears more talented than the Jets and we pick one spot after them in May. He doesn't help a team as much as he is supposed to. I don't want him anywhere near my young QB and impressionable young core we will be bringing in here. 

obj will go down in history as an after thought loser. His most memorable moments outside of one truly spectacular catch are his fights with both Josh Norman and the Kicking net. Didn't he actually go to the sideline and propose to the same kicking net after the fight with it? The guy is a joke man. 

You want to give away a #2 pick in the deepest WR draft in a decade for the right to pay an a$$hole $15.5 mil a year? I sure don't. 

Draft picks are a crapshoot.  Known commodities are worth it.  Thats a diatribe to read that you dont agree.  Jeudy or Lamb vs Beckham .  No contest.  OBJ wins hands down.  

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

But since you asked... 

Hmmm

It looks like you may have to go on the Undecided list along with @More Cowbell

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

Draft picks are a crapshoot.  Known commodities are worth it.  Thats a diatribe to read that you dont agree.  Jeudy or Lamb vs Beckham .  No contest.  OBJ wins hands down.  

Wait... you came to a message board and don't want to read posts? What are we doing here dude? 

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think this is similar to the Jamal Adams debates around here.  An eccentric talent who is a young, Pro Bowl caliber player and will require very big $$$.  Is it worth giving up a Draft pick(s) AND paying OBJ $15M per year?  Perhaps it is....but I just see some red flags around OBJ.  I don't just mean smacking a cop on the ass at the LSU game or throwing money at players on the field.  There have been some injury concerns, there have been some fist-fights he's had with a kicking net.  He'd be turning 28 and will have been traded twice.  None of those things by itself mean the Jets shouldn't consider this....but there's a bit of a cocktail of worrisome issues in there that when you stir them together give me pause.

I don't want the Jets to be like the horny college kid at a party who ends up sleeping with the ugly chick because he was desperate and drunk.  The Jets are craving a WR and OBJ is a big-time talent.  The eyes will get wide and they will drool....but I'd pump the brakes and make sure the Jets aren't enamored while wearing beer goggles here.

The money is known so maybe that's not a huge factor if the Jets can absorb it.  And, I could certainly make the case that paying OBJ $15M per year is better than paying Robby Anderson $12M per year.  It may simply come down to the Draft pick compensation.  I wouldn't want to use any of our Day 1 or 2 picks.  That means a 4th rounder.  Don't know if Cleveland would take that.  I probably wouldn't.

Well said. I happen to be firmly on the side of not wanting him but this articulates the reasoning on both sides pretty well.  I'm interested to see which posters are for bringing this guy into the fray here. I'd be curious to find out why some are so horned up for an eccentric @14 in Green likes that word) that is on the extreme negative side of such a personality. 

one of the big knocks on Adams is that he's eccentric and jabbers all day. I'm not sure if anyone actually likes that about him, but who can deny he is good team guy. Does what he's asked and does it with 100% of his ability.  obj on the other hand was traded 2x in 2 years like you said.  And now there is the talk of him being injured all year.  Not good. 

Whatever the deal is with this guy he just seems like an absolute butthole to me. Paying him is one thing. sending a 2nd rd pick to Cleveland AND paying him is another. I really hope we don't bite on this one.  

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

cant wait for one of these threads to be based on facts.  could be, might...if

it's as long time until 3/18.  It's torture around here with all the unrealistic speculation, but I get it.  There are some great responses in this thread but there is just no reason to think that OBJ will be traded let alone to the NY Jets.  

The Combine will be a huge releif.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Enough with this trivial footbally-ish stuff.

Who ya got in the patriot killa vs gandgreendover bout after English class tomorrow?

Is that the stuff earlier in the thread? I didn't see it.  I had to skim this one. lol

We had another version of it last season too. We've been talking about obj coming here every offseason it seems. 

But now he says he wants to play here in private with an unconfirmed source who spoke on the condition of anonymity and here we gooooooooo.  hahaha 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it's as long time until 3/18.  It's torture around here with all the unrealistic speculation, but I get it.  There are some great responses in this thread but there is just no reason to think that OBJ will be traded let alone to the NY Jets.  

The Combine will be a huge releif.  

The only thing I can think of that gives it real credence is that JD and the new GM in Cleveland, Berry were both in the Eagles Front office one year ago today. They are probably very close. 

Berry gets to rid himself of an expensive cancer and JD gets to be the big name grabbing GM of the Jets just like we always wanted. :-) 

• WTF? 1

10 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I hate to say this, and you know I could just be wrong here, but I rather have a narcissist WR that can win games vs Jamal. 

1 Jamal is playing S, and you shouldn't spend big money on that position - sorry you just shouldn't'

2 You should spend money on WR - and we need a guy who can get open

3 its a gamble but worth a shot. lets say it is a disaster with Odel, he woudl still have more impact and that jamal.

Offer a 1 year prove it deal, if he takes great, but if he doesnt no big deal, at least you gave team a chance to get better.

1. The Brownies were 6-10 

2. He already has a contract. He gets paid $15.5 mil in 2020 

Cleveland can keep this nozzle. :) 

9 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Maybe a 4 (tops), but I like your style. I only say a four because despite being a huge douche he is highly talented (so long as they don't ban gecko gloves).

Psst... you know you have to be the highest bidder to get him, right?

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

1. The Brownies were 6-10 

2. He already has a contract. He gets paid $15.5 mil in 2020 

Cleveland can keep this nozzle. :) 

When Jets don’t win: “People like to blame the QB but it’s a team game and Sam has no weaponz.”

When Browns don’t win: “OBJ has failed to elevate the team.”.

3 hours ago, GangGreenDover said:

How about McDonald’s?

Nice try.  You very well know some soccer mom will step in and stop it before the first punch is thrown.  Everyone knows that the burping farting 7-Eleven crowd demands a bloody fight to the finish. 

SAR I

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

You guys are seriously crazy. You have to take risks in this league. You cannot be by the book all the time.

He’d instantly be our most talented player EVER. 

There's no denying OBJ is a great talent. The problem is he's a ticking time bomb. If I had to make a deal for him I would offer a 3rd rounder. Nothing more. Cleveland seems desperate to trade him and OBJ wants out. Maybe the Browns will bite.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

When Jets don’t win: “People like to blame the QB but it’s a team game and Sam has no weaponz.”

When Browns don’t win: “OBJ has failed to elevate the team.”.

Heeeeeeey now..... That's taken out of context man. :) 

My point was in response to a specific quote. We're talking about impact. The quote said something to the effect of Odell being able to have a great impact on the team should we trade for him and that he's worth the headaches etc. The Browns were 7-8-1 in 2018. They added obj among others to the mix. Then were 6-10 the in 2019. We can look deeper into it and I'm sure there are other reasons outside of obj, who had 7 drops and 4 TD's, but he did not have the impact you would want from trading a very good safety and a 1st rd pick for. 

I'm never going to say that he's not a top tier receiver, but the point that he does not have the desired results for a team can be argued and argued well. And we haven't even gotten into the 14x he was fined.