Thoughts on Damien Woody’s take?

Patriot Killa

9 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

Cowboys offered first-round pick for Jets safety Jamal Adams, source says

That was last year, when they were in the playoff hunt.  This year, they can use their pick at 17 to draft Adams' successor at LSU, or another really good safety. 

Dallas cannot afford to pay Prescott, Emmitt, Cooper and the OL.  

If I am Dallas I franchise Cooper and trade him to the Jets for Adams.  Both players get new contracts, both with cap charges that kick in later.  

Dallas uses the draft pick for a WR, and Jets use the first round pick for OL.  Maybe even the second round pick.  Or another WR in the second round. 

• Upvote 2

DW is saying what we have all been.  The o-line is a crisis.  All other priorities rescinded until the o-line gets fixed.  They need 5 players.  That means that JD cant get it done with FA alone or the draft alone.  He has to hit a home run for the o-line in FA AND the Draft or get used to the idea of having another season like 2019.  Perhaps even worse.  A dead QB to go along with a losing season,

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Woody is right.  And Mangini is horribly under-rated by Jets fans.  That was a great team and a fun one to be a fan of and a lot of the credit should go to Mangini.  If Mark Sanchez was just a little bit more serious about football, or if Doug Brien were just a little more focused, or one of a dozen other coin flips landed the other way, we get to one, if not two Super Bowls.  

Horrible.  Not horribly under-rated. Joke post? 

Sanchez was drafted after Mangini left.  Doug Brien retired after spending some of the 2005 season with the Bears.  The Jets burned a pick on Nugent, who left with Mangini.  Rex had Feely and Folk.  Giving Mangini credit for the success Rex had here has been @T0mShane's schtick for years, but adding Herm Edwards successes to the mix is a new wrinkle. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

That was last year, when they were in the playoff hunt.  This year, they can use their pick at 17 to draft Adams' successor at LSU, or another really good safety. 

If I am Dallas I franchise Cooper and trade him to the Jets for Adams.  Both players get new contracts, both with cap charges that kick in later.  

Dallas uses the draft pick for a WR, and Jets use the first round pick for OL.  Maybe even the second round pick.  Or another WR in the second round. 

And Rontez Miles starts!   Hoo-ray!

Woody is right.  And Mangini is horribly under-rated by Jets fans.  That was a great team and a fun one to be a fan of and a lot of the credit should go to Mangini.  If Mark Sanchez was just a little bit more serious about football, or if Doug Brien were just a little more focused, or one of a dozen other coin flips landed the other way, we get to one, if not two Super Bowls.  

SPOT ON

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sanchez was drafted after Mangini left.  Doug Brien retired after spending the 2005 season with the Bears.  Giving Mangini credit for the success Rex had here has been @T0mShane's schtick for years, but adding Herm Edwards successes to the mix is a new wrinkle. 

Jets Offensive Line the year before Mangini arrived:

• LT Jason Fabini (age - 31)
  • G Jonathan Goodwin (Yes, it was a mistake here letting him walk in free agency after '05)
  • C Kevin Mawae (age - 34)
  • G Pete Kendall (age - 32)
  • RT Adrian Jones

Jets Offensive Line the year after Mangini was fired (put in place by Mangini's final season):

• LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
  • LG Alan Faneca
  • C Nick Mangold
  • RG Brandon Moore
  • RT Damien Woody
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets Offensive Line the year before Mangini arrived:

• LT Jason Fabini (age - 31)
  • G Jonathan Goodwin (Yes, it was a mistake here letting him walk in free agency after '05)
  • C Kevin Mawae (age - 34)
  • G Pete Kendall (age - 32)
  • RT Adrian Jones

and if only Doug Brien didn't miss those field goals those guys might have been in the super bowl!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

and if only Doug Brien didn't miss those field goals those guys might have been in the super bowl!

No, we had let Kareem McKenzie go after 2004. 

Bradway was about to let the OL deteriorate before Mangini's arrival.  Just like Tannenbaum did after Mangini's departure.  

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sanchez was drafted after Mangini left.  Doug Brien retired after spending some of the 2005 season with the Bears.  The Jets burned a pick on Nugent, who left with Mangini.  Rex had Feely and Folk.  Giving Mangini credit for the success Rex had here has been @T0mShane's schtick for years, but adding Herm Edwards successes to the mix is a new wrinkle. 

Since when is history “shtick,” you Mangini-truther? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

My concern is that the OLine is so critical to everything that happens on offense and protecting our potential franchise QB that I'd flip the script of Draft 2 and Sign 1 to Sign 2 and Draft at least 1.  While this OLine class looks stellar at both OT and Center I'm not sure I see any guys as safe at D'Brick (taken at #5) and Mangold (late 1st), that I'd count on Week 1 of their rookie years.  The Jets have a tough schedule and the idea of throwing Mekhi Becton out there against Nick Bosa scares the sh*te out of me.  I want to sign a couple of seasoned, experienced, talented veterans.....and also draft some OLinemen of the future.

Go get H. Vaitai from Philly who is younger and a little more talented than Beachum to pencil in at LT.  And then sign at least one of Thuney, Scherff, Glasgow.....and also bring back Alex Lewis.  Before we even get to the Draft we should be pencilling in a Line of Vaitai (or Beachum), Alex Lewis, Harrison, Thuney, Edoga.   During the Draft we try to address OT (maybe RT or a guy who can play both) and try to upgrade Harrison.  I certainly don't want to start two rookies right next to each other.

I think people tend to forget that it takes a while for offensive lineman to hit their stride in the NFL.  On average, it takes about 3 years to begin to perform as an average offensive lineman.  There are a few rookies or 2nd year linemen that develop faster, but that is rare and not the norm.  Bringing in veteran linemen like Vaitai and/or Beachum will not only allow the Jets to be a little more flexible at 11 but give the draftees time to develop and to play when they are ready.  It also will give Darnold the time to develop without having to deal with rookie mistakes.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I agree that Eric Mangini brought about the last good era of Jets football

Mangini's first draft with Mike T = Mangold and D'Brick.  That set things in motion for the team's best run since Parcells.  Hope Joe D studies history and gets the OL set...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, we had let Kareem McKenzie go after 2004. 

Bradway was about to let the OL deteriorate before Mangini's arrival.  Just like Tannenbaum did after Mangini's departure.  

To paraphrase Meatloaf: Four out of five ain't bad. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Since when is history “shtick,” you Mangini-truther? 

I prefer it with the c. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

considering hall of fame game GIF

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I agree, but you still have to use a premium pick on a WR. 

Without Anderson, the Jets WRs are as bad as any unit in the league. You have a nice slot guy in Crowder and . . . ? I guess you can resign an older Thomas on the cheap? Then what? 

The bottom line is that you still have to address that position in the draft in a meaningful way. 

Again, I have read from multiple draft gurus that this year could see as many as 20 WR's with either a 1st or 2nd round grade.  WR could be addressed in 2nd round or with the first pick in the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, I have read from multiple draft gurus that this year could see as many as 20 WR's with either a 1st or 2nd round grade.  WR could be addressed in 2nd round or with the first pick in the 3rd.

How many OL do these gurus give a 1st or 2nd round grade?  Shouldn't that be part of your analysis?

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

2nd round is a premium draft pick. 

i want a WR with one of the first two picks 

agree they need to come away with 3 new oline starters between the draft and free agency but i think i'd lean towards 2 free agents and 1 from the draft.  imo that means they don't necessarily have to go oline in the first round and can use that pick on a wr or  even edge.  use the 2nd and 3rd rounds for oline.  the other reason is they 2 more unfettered years with darnold and getting the vets instead of rookies should help move the winning process along.  things can change pretty quickly these days.

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

New England already smoked us twice that year.  It would've been three times. 

They smoked us in the second game (at home), but the score of the first game (in NE) was 13-7 and the Pats scored their only TD after a BS roughing the passer call after we had them stopped (what a surprise). 

Both teams were also 5-0 headed into that game. The 04 team was very good. I think we would have lost the title game in NE because Pennington’s arm was shot, but it would have been close. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Without Anderson, the Jets WRs are as bad as any unit in the league. You have a nice slot guy in Crowder and . . . ? I guess you can resign an older Thomas on the cheap? Then what? 

The bottom line is that you still have to address that position in the draft in a meaningful way. 

Cap casualty signing, like Woods.  

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You missed my point by a mile.

Mangini oversaw the drafts that got us DBrick and Mangold, Revis and David Harris,  His last draft sucked, but before that he had the guts to draft 2 OL in the same first round, which set the tone for that team for a decade.  I also believe he was in charge when we brought in Woody and Faneca.  He had nothing to do with Sanchez but my point, which again, you missed, was that if Sanchez was a little more something, we might win one of those AFCCGs.  And if we had, the core of those teams was largely due to Mangini's time with the Jets (unless you want to credit Mike T fully for those picks).  

• Post of the Week 1

LOL,

These are the same "geniuses" that were saying "a Franchise QB raises everyone around him..."

Now it's "he has to have 3 new starters ... just to protect him...to make him feel safe..." PULEEZE!!

If you could take Mangini's dick out of your mouths you'd see that Darnold should only need TWO new starters, if Beachum were retained to be a franchise QB and uplift everyone.

And, wasn't there a 2009 and 2010 season? Doesn't that qualify as a great Jets era?! I mean, what was the "greatness" of a team that was based on someone else's team to begin with and was unable to even remotely challenge their division rival? It was embarrassing because everyone NOT in these rooms new Mangini was a chicken-sh*t joke that actually didn't hurt the Patriots by losing him...unless the video scandal really hurt them.

Sorry, I digressed.

OL first priority, but it should also already be partially addressed in free agency, so not totally with Woody about how much Day 1-2 draft capital should be expended.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I’m fine with OL with the first and second pick. And signing a FA. 

But who the hell is Sam throwing to? Hopefully hit on our third pick? 

Either way, I’d rather build the OL like that now and worry next year or maybe through a trade about filling in a WR. 

Bottom line: jets need both WR and OL

Convert Adams to picks we get both

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  And with 4 picks in the first two days of the draft, we will have plenty of opportunity to address both.  2 OL and 2 WRs by the end of Day 2.

We need to make a major investment in young talent on the offensive side of the ball.  It has been way too long.

Reaction GIF by moodman

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This is true and the oath to that is trading Adams

14 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Both wr you mentioned contribute more and are better players than Anderson.

Arguably they are better with out Robby taking away useful targets

• Upvote 1