FAVORITE RB's

PepPep

I've been looking at some of the RBs in this draft and there's a lot to like. Although the Jets have bigger needs and shouldn't be looking to draft a RB until their 4th selection (the earliest), I thought I'd post some of my favorite prospects for the mid to late rounds. I'm going to assume Swift, Dobbins, Edwards-Helaire, Taylor and Akers are out of reach by the time we decide to go after a RB in the 3rd or 4th round. 

These are listed in order of projection and are simply my favorites. Just posted highlights for fun. Lemme know what ya'll think. *NOTE: Antonio Gibson is the guy to watch, he is a late round prospect who doesn't really have a position WR/RB/KR but projects to play RB in the NFL and is simply an offensive weapon and playmaker with the right coach, he can do it all. My favorite of the favorites.  

Zack Moss- Utah (3rd, possibly 4th round)

Eno Benjamin- Arizona State (3rd possibly 4th round)

Lamical Perine- Florida (4th possibly 5th round)

Anthony McFarland- Maryland (4th possibly 5th round)

*Antonio Gibson- Memphis (5th possibly 6th round) 

Reggie Corbin- Illinois (5th possibly 6th Round) *Could see him go earlier

Patrick Taylor Jr.- Memphis (5th possibly 6th Round) 

• Upvote 4

I really like Eno Benjamin. He hits the hole like a pro and makes subtle moves. He reminds me of Bilal Powell, when he started out. Acceleration exists and he has power but lacks patience and has meh vision. I think after a season or two he'll be an exceptional committee running back.

• Upvote 1

Can someone help me with this scouting report on Taylor...

Summary - Jonathan Taylor is a rare breed in that he's at his best when given the full workload and able to use his punishing running style to wear out the opposition. Taylor isn't an ideal fit for outside zone rushing concepts but run him inside and off tackle liberally and enjoy success. A plug and play starting running back, Taylor's biggest concern stems from an overwhelming workload during his three years at Wisconsin. Longevity is a question, first contract value is not. 

They say he's not a fit for "outside zone rushing concepts" but that he can run "off tackle".  Are those almost the same thing.  Off-tackle runs to the outside where maybe there's some zone-blocking going on by a pulling Center or Offensive Guard is essentially an outside zone rush, isn't it?

I'm asking because it seems that Gase prefers zone-blocking schemes and linemen rather than power-rushing schemes.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Can someone help me with this scouting report on Taylor...

They say he's not a fit for "outside zone rushing concepts" but that he can run "off tackle".  Are those almost the same thing.  Off-tackle runs to the outside where maybe there's some zone-blocking going on by a pulling Center or Offensive Guard is essentially an outside zone rush, isn't it?

I'm asking because it seems that Gase prefers zone-blocking schemes and linemen rather than power-rushing schemes.

For the most part outside zone rushing plays don’t call for a specific hole for the RB to run through.  It relies on the RB to read his blockers and find the best gap to exploit.  Off-tackle generally tells the RB to follow the outside shoulder of the tackle and then usually there is TE or WR blocking outside, the play will either have the RB cut it up inside the outside blocker or the outside blocker blocks down and the RB goes around the outside leverage.  There is less “decision making” for the RB.  

• Upvote 3

I want a stud RB out of this draft too. I'm tired of ignoring offensive skill players & having to pay a guy like Bell 15 million. Bell will be gone in 2021, we need a young guy to break in behind him THIS YEAR. 

One of two #3s is the perfect spot, UNLESS JD has his eye on a CB & Edge Rusher there. Bell is a luxury that allows us to ignore the 3rd round for a RB but like someone else mentioned we better take one in the 4th. Be nice to find another Leon Washington. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, Augustiniak said:

i love edwards-helaire.  great weapon for darnold.

I saw a Joe Burrow interview a few weeks ago and he was asked who on that loaded LSU team was the best athlete. He said with zero hesitation Clyde Edwards-Helaire. I’d love him in round three.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2020 at 6:18 AM, sec101row23 said:

For the most part outside zone rushing plays don’t call for a specific hole for the RB to run through.  It relies on the RB to read his blockers and find the best gap to exploit.  Off-tackle generally tells the RB to follow the outside shoulder of the tackle and then usually there is TE or WR blocking outside, the play will either have the RB cut it up inside the outside blocker or the outside blocker blocks down and the RB goes around the outside leverage.  There is less “decision making” for the RB.  

Seems like the "decision making" would suit Bell.  I guess the issue would be speed to get outside in the first place, or his excessive patience - or whatever they call it.   

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seems like the "decision making" would suit Bell.  I guess the issue would be speed to get outside in the first place, or his excessive patience - or whatever they call it.   

The best outside zone RBs are one cut and go backs.  Bell doesn’t fit this role.  Shanahan operates the best outside zone scheme in the league IMO.  Look at how the 49er backs run, they signed guys who fit their scheme perfectly.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

I saw a Joe Burrow interview a few weeks ago and he was asked who on that loaded LSU team was the best athlete. He said with zero hesitation Clyde Edwards-Helaire. I’d love him in round three.

if jets can add a quality wr and a rb like helaire you instantly change the offense b/c now you have multiple rbs who are receiving threats.  it's so easy, and yet, for this team, so difficult.

Im a bit biased, but AJ Dillon measured 6'3 247 which is the exact size of Derrick Henry - next up for him is to see how fast he runs at that size.

While I love Helaire as a pro, hes likely going to be a second round pick while Dillon should be available in the 5th and is comparable to Henry in that when it gets to November and December DBs dont want to step up and hit a guy that size.  

11 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

I'm becoming more and more of a Cam Akers fan if he is there for the Jets in Rd. 3. I figure we get an OT in Rd 1, a WR in Rd. 2, pick up Akers with our first 3rd rounder and go after top IOLman  with our second third rounder, should be a number of options. Aggressively addressing the offense. The rest of the draft they could really go BAP.  Still gives us an opportunity for a developmental Pass Rusher, CB, and/or talented WR. 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:07 PM, PS17 said:

Let’s do this

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Order of importance

OT Edge CB WR C WR RB

Not in this draft. Defense should really not even be drafted unless at the pick we have there is a defensive player WAY ahead of all other offensive players. We need to at least get balanced and we might literally be 10 offensive players or more short of that.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Not in this draft. Defense should really not even be drafted unless at the pick we have there is a defensive player WAY ahead of all other offensive players. We need to at least get balanced and we might literally be 10 offensive players or more short of that.

We need an edge and a cb. Can’t get everything thru FA

• Upvote 1

This is why we have to get 2-3 starters in free agency. Draft our offensive players, and let our veteran OL open up the playbook and unlock our playmakers.

You get a combo of Conklin or Thuney with a Glasgow or McGovern or Vaitai. You draft your LT at 11.

Rounds 2-4. You take one or two receivers and a running back.

• Upvote 1

Has to be Edwards-Helaire because he can do everything. He can run with power, he can use his shiftiness, he can get the edge, and he can just get lost in the fray.

In the passing game he is a natural with hands as soft as butter, he can also pass block and knows how to find the hole in the zone. 

Honestly, I can't find one flaw to his game and I'm a nitpicky a$$hole. 

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Agreed . He runs like Frank Gore

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Have you seen AJ Dillion from Boston College - seeing all types of projections.. anywhere from 3rd round to 5th/early 6th... He's a 3rd down type back but can use him in passing game too... Said to be most physical back in the draft - I feel like his traits perfectly compliment those of Bell... Can be like a/... Curtis Martin/Lamont Jordan type backfield with Bell/Dillon. If he's there on day 3 - I feel like it's a no brainer. 

Did he also say who he thought was the best football player on the team, which is what I'd care about.? No offense, but a couple of the guys on the great Penn State team of 1994 said the same thing about Kyle Brady.

On 3/4/2020 at 8:02 PM, RobR said:

Has to be Edwards-Helaire because he can do everything. He can run with power, he can use his shiftiness, he can get the edge, and he can just get lost in the fray.

In the passing game he is a natural with hands as soft as butter, he can also pass block and knows how to find the hole in the zone. 

Honestly, I can't find one flaw to his game and I'm a nitpicky a$$hole. 

He  was unstoppable in the playoffs. 

C609CB35-6B89-4BF4-ADE5-5AAA7035149F.jpeg

Over Ja'marr Chase?  Wow.  I dont think that would play out on the SPARQ scores.  Chase is a freak.  I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he's a top 5-10 pick next season.