New CBA Details begin to leak.

Mogglez

Both sides are hypocrites about "player safety" if the new CBA
doesn't address two issues.  First, there should be an extra bye
week included for each team.  Second, all 53 players should be
active for each game stop the nonsense of deactivating 7 players.
Increase the active roster size and "decrease" the physical 
demands on the players

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, KRL said:

demands on the players

No, you can't have that rule in the NFL, it WOULD upset competitive balance. The way to address it is to increase both total roster size and active roster size but active needs to be roughly 8 players left.

One additional playoff team is fine it will not water things down too much.

Sort of hate the 17 game schedule concept. The 17th game will be very unbalanced. 18 could work with 2 byes and Thursday games only after a bye but the NFL never really thinks things through. 

14 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Its all about the money. Soon we will be having the Super Bowl in England or Mexico, the hell with the fans, as long as the NFL makes more money. Do you think the owners or Goodell care about the fans, it is obvious they don't.

They can ship the pro bowl over seas.  Mexico, England, Wuhan Provinice, an ebola country, anywhere to kill it.  Only bigger joke than the game itself is calling someone an "x time Pro Bowler".  Yeah, cause he had one good season and a bunch of others where the first 3 guys at his positions refused the invite 

10 hours ago, King P said:

They would only give that if they get 18 regular season games.

Looks like the owners are throwing their billionaire mandingos on the table early, knowing they'll have to fork over more of the revenue share. Possibly lifetime health insurance and guaranteed contracts as well. Players will probably only get 2 out of 3.

But the owners are going to leverage an extra game in the season, and an extra game in the playoffs where there's a considerable spike in game revenue. It's their backdoor way of grabbing an extra game without having it be a regular season game. Owners are owners for a reason

Zero chance of fully guaranteed contracts

The expanded playoff format of 7 teams from each conference gets my full endorsement. I absolutely cannot wait for Wild Card Weekend with 3 games on Saturday, and 3 games on Sunday. I also love the fact only the best records from each conference get a bye week. The last few weeks of the season are going to be even more fun to watch with more teams still alive for a shot at the playoffs. It's like the playoffs will be starting in week 15 through week 17 as teams try to squeeze into one of those 7 playoff seeds in each conference. The only other thing I'd like to see added, is re-seeding the playoffs based on record, so you don't get a division winner who's record is 9-7 getting a home playoff game in the Wild Card weekend. 

For example here is last the 2019 NFC Playoff Seeding:

1. San Francisco 49ers 13-3

2. Green Bay Packers 13-3

3. New Orleans Saints 13-3

4. Philadelphia Eagles 9-7

5. Seattle Seahawks 11-5

6. Minnesota Vikings 10-6

Wild Card Weekend Matchups:

Minnesota Vikings at New Orleans Saints

Seattle Seahawks at Philadelphia Eagles

Here is how it would be seeded if the playoff qualifiers were seeded based on record:

4. Seattle Seahawks 11-5

5. Minnesota Vikings 10-6

6. Philadelphia Eagles 9-7

New Format Wild Card Weekend matchups:

Philadelphia Eagles at New Orleans Saints

Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks

Let's say its Saints and Seahawks moving on that weekend. That would set up a divisional round of like this.

Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

New Orleans Saints at Green Bay Packers

Who wouldn't have wanted to see the Seahawks and 49ers playing for a 3rd time?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, nico002 said:

Should be 18 games and 16 playoff teams 

I agree.

if you're going to revamp, do it right. I still haven't seen anyone explain how they're going to make a 17 game schedule work. Who gets the extra home game? Who doesn't? Yuck.

Go to 18, add the extra bye week. We get 20 weeks of regular season football. Then do the 16 team playoff thing. Everyone who thinks that's a bad idea will just have to shut up and enjoy watching the added playoff games next January with the rest of us.

33 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The expanded playoff format of 7 teams from each conference gets my full endorsement. I absolutely cannot wait for Wild Card Weekend with 3 games on Saturday, and 3 games on Sunday. I also love the fact only the best records from each conference get a bye week. The last few weeks of the season are going to be even more fun to watch with more teams still alive for a shot at the playoffs. It's like the playoffs will be starting in week 15 through week 17 as teams try to squeeze into one of those 7 playoff seeds in each conference. The only other thing I'd like to see added, is re-seeding the playoffs based on record, so you don't get a division winner who's record is 9-7 getting a home playoff game in the Wild Card weekend. 

For example here is last the 2019 NFC Playoff Seeding:

4. Philadelphia Eagles 9-7

5. Seattle Seahawks 11-5

6. Minnesota Vikings 10-6

Wild Card Weekend Matchups:

Minnesota Vikings at New Orleans Saints

Seattle Seahawks at Philadelphia Eagles

Here is how it would be seeded if the playoff qualifiers were seeded based on record:

4. Seattle Seahawks 11-5

5. Minnesota Vikings 10-6

6. Philadelphia Eagles 9-7

New Format Wild Card Weekend matchups:

Philadelphia Eagles at New Orleans Saints

Minnesota Vikings at Seattle Seahawks

Let's say its Saints and Seahawks moving on that weekend. That would set up a divisional round of like this.

Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

New Orleans Saints at Green Bay Packers

Who wouldn't have wanted to see the Seahawks and 49ers playing for a 3rd time?

...and just think how many more games you will get to pick incorrectly under this new format!!! :toot:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KRL said:

demands on the players

That's the better idea.  If you want to reduce wear n' tear, injuries and unnecessary hits then increase the number of active guys giving teams the ability to rotate more players, especially on special teams like punt and kick coverages.  With the expected reduction in practice and training camp time I think injuries are bound to go up anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I agree.

if you're going to revamp, do it right. I still haven't seen anyone explain how they're going to make a 17 game schedule work. Who gets the extra home game? Who doesn't? Yuck.

Go to 18, add the extra bye week. We get 20 weeks of regular season football. Then do the 16 team playoff thing. Everyone who thinks that's a bad idea will just have to shut up and enjoy watching the added playoff games next January with the rest of us.

Yup, expand the roster to 60 players too

Anything that gives this god forsaken franchise more chances to at least make the playoffs is alright by me. 

Sam will be a gunslinging wildcard if he sneaks into the playoffs. Only takes 1 hot game to move into the next round. Be nice for Sam to get playoff experience while JDs building a roster around him. That's how you separate the wheat From the Chaff & find out what where we need to improve.

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

All I want in the new CBA is to allow teams to practice more - let them have more contact so they are in games shape at the start of the season. Too many injuries since they went all soft trying to protect guys - it just has had the opposite effect including also making the start of the season suck!

And "That" IS EXACTLY what the players are Against... They want Less contact which will make the first couple of games almost unwatchable. 

19 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

Moving off 16 games is awful.  Jerking around with the playoff format is dumb.

These 2 moves are desperate cash grabs, because their tv rights fees are already maxed out and the players wont give up any more points.

Disagree with playoff format. There should be 3 WC teams. Heck Jets, Niners, etc. in the past of had 10-6 records and were very solid teams that could have got on a role in the playoffs, but were left out due to this rediculous 2 WC format.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I bet the 17th game for each team will be played at a neutral site - London, Mexico, whatever.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nah, I think they'll just add another game against another similarly-ranked team in the opposing conference, same as we do now against 2 AFC teams each year, something like this for the Jets:

2021 NFC South (all 4 AFCE teams play all 4 NFCS teams)
2021 NFC North (1 game each for AFCE teams against NFCS teams who finished in the same position)

So the extra game for the Jets in a given year will be in one of the 3 NFC divisions that we aren't playing the whole division, they can rotate it each year, home and away alternating, etc.  Its good for the NFL because it puts more non-conference teams against each other, gives Jets fans more chances of more frequent games against the likes of the Giants and Packers who right now we only see once every 4 years.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Nah, I think they'll just add another game against another similarly-ranked team in the opposing conference, same as we do now against 2 AFC teams each year, something like this for the Jets:

2021 NFC South (all 4 AFCE teams play all 4 NFCS teams)
2021 NFC North (1 game each for AFCE teams against NFCS teams who finished in the same position)

So the extra game for the Jets in a given year will be in one of the 3 NFC divisions that we aren't playing the whole division, they can rotate it each year, home and away alternating, etc.  Its good for the NFL because it puts more non-conference teams against each other, gives Jets fans more chances of more frequent games against the likes of the Giants and Packers who right now we only see once every 4 years.

SAR I

I'd kind of like the idea of them making it a "rivalry game" where we play the Giants every year.

Just like how MLB has my loveable, gritty, gutty Mets play your completely unlikeable Yankees each season. We wouldn't even need to travel on the alternating years like other teams...

11 hours ago, KRL said:

demands on the players

And for pete's sake, no more 4-day rest games.  No team should ever have to play on a Sunday followed by a Thursday night game.  Give a team a bye prior to a TNF contest, if they're so insistant on those games existing.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yuck.  Long and meaningless regular season.  Sounds great.

Do you people learn anything from the NBA or MLB?

Two additional games per team spread out over two weeks is vastly different from the 80 or 160 games of those two leagues when there can be a game every night.

Also, it’s more meaningful if anything, because more teams will continue to be alive later into the season. If they finally adopt playoff teams-seeding, it will become even more meaningful as teams generally wont even be able to take week 17 off. The only teams it’ll be meaningless for are the teams that 16 game seasons are also meaningless for: the bengals and dolphins of this past season for example.

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

Two additional games per team spread out over two weeks is vastly different from the 80 or 160 games of those two leagues when there can be a game every night.

Also, it’s more meaningful if anything, because more teams will continue to be alive later into the season. If they finally adopt playoff teams-seeding, it will become even more meaningful as teams generally wont even be able to take week 17 off. The only teams it’ll be meaningless for are the teams that 16 game seasons are also meaningless for: the bengals and dolphins of this past season for example.

I was talking about Nico's suggestion of 16 playoff teams.

18 games PLUS 16 playoff teams would make the regular season not only long but meaningless.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And for pete's sake, no more 4-day rest games.  No team should ever have to play on a Sunday followed by a Thursday night game.  Give a team a bye prior to a TNF contest, if they're so insistant on those games existing.  

This I agree with. I mean, the pats have already had this attributed to them for years, but they should extend it to every team!

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yuck.  Long and meaningless regular season.  Sounds great.

Do you people learn anything from the NBA or MLB?

It's ONE game. More football is good. Calm down, Francis.

Nico has had a lot worse ideas then the 18 and 16 plan. Plus, you know it's coming eventually...

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I was talking about Nico's suggestion of 16 playoff teams.

18 games PLUS 16 playoff teams would make the regular season not only long but meaningless.

Ah I see. Yea I like the idea of 7 teams in each conference, as I mentioned in my earlier post. Really really like the idea of only 1 team getting a bye. Now if only they’ll add playoff reseeding!

• Upvote 1