Jets regain draft pick

mrcoops

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In all seriousness though it's nice to not have had to give up a pick for a CB who really didn't contribute.  It didn't even drop to a 7th rounder. 

Good job by JD there to work with Gase and ensure we didn't have to give up the pick.  

Yea especially considering hairston is awful and should be cut

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

It's just a 6th rounder, but it's still nice to have.

In this draft, that could turn into a nice depth piece at WR, or a decent OL prospect.

true.. we need LOTS of  depth/prospectS   ?

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer: 

26 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It's just a 6th rounder, but it's still nice to have.

In this draft, that could turn into a nice depth piece at WR, or a decent OL prospect.

An unexpected pick that most people didn't really think about.....could become a starting kicker for 8 or 10 years.  I'd have no problem using the last 6th rounder to take the top K in the Draft and check that box.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Well, this is nice...

Maybe this is another reason why Hairston rode the pine for much of the second half of the season - the Jets wanted to retain that conditional pick.

Excellent observation!!!  Good move by the front office if that was the case

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, David Harris said:

So next years draft are we just down the 1 pick for demaryious Thomas?  I think a 6th rounder?

the Alex Lewis pick I think was for this years 7th

I believe that is correct, but we also have either an extra 4 or 5 in 2021 from the Leo trade.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

I believe that is correct, but we also have either an extra 4 or 5 in 2021 from the Leo trade.  

Isn't that only if the Giants re-sign him?  Or would that be for this year?

EDIT:  Nevermind....I found it.

Big Blue acquired former first-round pick Leonard Williams from the New York Jets in exchange for a third-round pick and a 2021 fifth-rounder, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source informed. The fifth-rounder could become a fourth if the Giants re-sign Williams before the start of the new league year, Rapoport added. The Jets will also eat $4 million of the balance of Williams' contract this year.

• Sympathy 1

As we know, the Jets have relatively few players under contract.  

I think it is not unlikely that all of the Jets draft picks make the team.  That is huge.  Sixth and seventh round draft picks are opportunities to pluck players out of the pile that would otherwise be UDFAs.  

I would not think twice about drafting a K there and going with some upside and hopefully money savings, at least for 2020.  

• Upvote 2

Cool.  I know it’s only a 6th but hey you never know guys drop all the time.  I wasn’t sure if the conditions were met with Hairston but glad this was cleared up.  I just wish we had one more high pick even just another third.  Either way we are set up fairly nice for the draft 

• Sympathy 1

i am 100% believing that Joe is going to hit on all his picks. Last year quarterbacking from my couch at the draft. I was amazing at all the good players we could have still got on the line as the draft was going bye - day 1 day 2 etc.

If Joe is anything close to what I hope he is, i think he is going to get contributors in every round. Jets optimism is back baby! Just imagine picking S in the rounds they are supposed to go in! The madneessssss