Jets regain draft pick

mrcoops

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

All joking aside - all picks matter. If you draft well. 

picks are cheap money for four years 

Absolutely. Personally, I still get mad every time I remember Rex pissing away a 7th round pick on Sanchez's buddy, just to keep him happy.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:

As we know, the Jets have relatively few players under contract.  

I think it is not unlikely that all of the Jets draft picks make the team.  That is huge.  Sixth and seventh round draft picks are opportunities to pluck players out of the pile that would otherwise be UDFAs.  

I would not think twice about drafting a K there and going with some upside and hopefully money savings, at least for 2020.  

Actually, the Jets currently have 59 players signed for 2020 already.  That’s a huge increase over last year where at this time they only had like 38.   

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Actually, the Jets currently have 59 players signed for 2020 already.  That’s a huge increase over last year where at this time they only had like 38.   

I just checked OTC.  You are correct.  Looking at the list though, I think the odds of almost all of the draft picks making the team are pretty good.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s just a 6th but two of our 6’s netted Fatty and Bless .. both have been very impressive.

Bless got a lot of good press last year, but at the end of the season he was benched against the Steelers after giving up a TD, and was a  healthy (as far as I know) scratch  against the Bills the final week.  

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

An unexpected pick that most people didn't really think about.....could become a starting kicker for 8 or 10 years.  I'd have no problem using the last 6th rounder to take the top K in the Draft and check that box.

And In GreenBean's mock draft that's EXACTY what would happen. oooooooh momma! 

This is good news! I love 6th rdrs.  two of them can be a 5th or two of them could be depth or diamonds in the rough. Especially in a draft so jam packed with ol and wR's.  There is no way to make this bad news so I'm happy today. We just got a 6th rd pick AND got to keep a depth CB who played spotty but did flash. That's if we chose to sign him of course. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Absolutely. Personally, I still get mad every time I remember Rex pissing away a 7th round pick on Sanchez's buddy, just to keep him happy.

or Taj Boyd with the 6th just to make his son's friend happy.  I could find a 6th rd gem 50% of the time imo. 

• Upvote 1

Antonio Brown was a 6th rounder I believe.

Also, the value of even one 7th rounder draft pick....

It puts you ahead of all the UDFA's signed, each year each team brings in 7 or 8 UDFA, sometimes more?

That is a pool of 250/300 players you are at the front of the line for.

It also allows you to take that specialty position you may be hesitant to pick higher (ie kicker)

I used to get very bent out of shape with tanny letting rex waste picks.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Well, this is nice...

Maybe this is another reason why Hairston rode the pine for much of the second half of the season - the Jets wanted to retain that conditional pick.

Or maybe he is the real reason the Jets went 6-2 the final 8 games he didn’t play much if at all ?

5 hours ago, section314 said:

Bless Austin last year.

Right. But I wouldn't have taken him. I didn't do the research of a scouting dept of course, but I was actually pissed when Macc used our last pick on a guy who had two consecutive season ending injuries.  

If that guy can stay healthy we really did grab a potential gem. Wasn't there some press about him having a 2-3 rd grade without the injuries or something like that? 

• Upvote 1

the jets can't afford to treat any draft pick as a throwaway.  they're all important.  one thing a draft pick is give the team rights over a player for a protracted amount of time.  they could probably find the same or similar player as an udfa but then that player would also be free to try out for other teams if not signed.  or the udfa may choose a different team to try out for.

• Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. But I wouldn't have taken him. I didn't do the research of a scouting dept of course, but I was actually pissed when Macc used our last pick on a guy who had two consecutive season ending injuries.  

If that guy can stay healthy we really did grab a potential gem. Wasn't there some press about him having a 2-3 rd grade without the injuries or something like that? 

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You find a #1 CB & move Bless to a #2, resign Poole, Hairston & Maulet for depth? Bless might turn out to be one of Maccs best late round picks. 

6th rounder.  Longshot to have an impact, but still I would rather have the extra pick than not.  And you never know, 6th rounders can go on to have great careers and be fan favorites.  Jusst ask this guy:

Image result for joe klecko

6th round pick in 1977.  Best 6th rounder in team history.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yes, going into his senior year, I remember reading in a few spots that he was rated the #2 DB in the big 10. He's big, fast and physical. I know it was a very small sample size, but the way he played for about 5-6 games, you can see why he would have been pretty highly regarded when he was at Rutgers.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

6th rounder.  Longshot to have an impact, but still I would rather have the extra pick than not.  And you never know, 6th rounders can go on to have great careers and be fan favorites.  Jusst ask this guy:

Image result for joe klecko

6th round pick in 1977.  Best 6th rounder in team history.

or they can be used to trade up.