NY Jets learned 2 important things

LIJetsFan

NY Jets learned 2 important things from DJ Humphries contract extension

by Paul A. Esden Jr.

Offensive tackle DJ Humphries received a fat contract extension this offseason. Here’s why the NY Jets learned 2 very important things from this.

One of the big names that were expected to reach unrestricted free agency this offseason, won’t. Earlier this week the Arizona Cardinals handed offensive tackle DJ Humphries a fat contract extension to keep him for the foreseeable future.

If Humphries would’ve reached free agency, the NY Jets would’ve been highly interested in adding him to the team, considering its lack of depth on the offensive line.

The NY Jets learned two very important things from this news.

1. Offensive linemen are going to be VERY EXPENSIVE in free agency. 

DJ Humphries is a 26-year old offensive tackle that by all accounts is a very average player.

In his four-year career he has only started in an entire season once (2019), but overall has only played in 43 out of 64 possible games due to a rash of injuries.

On the other side of the coin he brings versatility (has experience playing on both the left and right side).

So in other words, Humphries has his fair share of warts and is by no means a perfect player. Despite that, he was handed a three-year $45 million deal with $30 million over the first two years of the deal, $29 million guaranteed.

That’s an average of $15 million per season which makes him the fifth highest-paid offensive tackle in all of football.

So what did the NY Jets learn from this? Offensive linemen in free agency are going to cost you a lot of dough.

Consider this, DJ was only negotiating with the Cardinals and signed ahead of free agency and he still became the fifth highest-paid offensive tackle in football. Imagine how much bigger the cap figure would’ve been if the Cardinals had to bid against the other 31 teams in the league?

Here are the top remaining options available in free agency:

Joe Thuney, guard, New England Patriots

Brandon Scherff, guard, Washington Redskins

Jack Conklin, tackle, Tennessee Titans

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think they probably knew this before the signing. FAs always get contracts near the top end of their market. The biggest issue IMO is if we wanted to keep Beachum, he may be asking for far more money than we want to commit. The problem with that is we don't know if a LT will be there at #11.

there is no better way to be average long term then committing big money to average players. this is the major reason why the "good teams" dont participate in the first day of free agency frenzy. I like Beachum, but unless he takes a team friendly deal i'd take my chances with the draft, FA and the trade market.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Arizona will only be counting $1.6 million of dead money against the cap if Humphries is cut prior to June 1 of 2021 and just $800,000 for the 2022 season, according to OverTheCap.com.

That’s how the Beachum deal should be structured.  Pay a little more in year one, but have an out with little dead money by year 2.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

by Paul A. Esden Jr.

Offensive tackle DJ Humphries received a fat contract extension this offseason. Here’s why the NY Jets learned 2 very important things from this.

One of the big names that were expected to reach unrestricted free agency this offseason, won’t. Earlier this week the Arizona Cardinals handed offensive tackle DJ Humphries a fat contract extension to keep him for the foreseeable future.

If Humphries would’ve reached free agency, the NY Jets would’ve been highly interested in adding him to the team, considering its lack of depth on the offensive line.

DJ Humphries is a 26-year old offensive tackle that by all accounts is a very average player.

In his four-year career he has only started in an entire season once (2019), but overall has only played in 43 out of 64 possible games due to a rash of injuries.

On the other side of the coin he brings versatility (has experience playing on both the left and right side).

So in other words, Humphries has his fair share of warts and is by no means a perfect player. Despite that, he was handed a three-year $45 million deal with $30 million over the first two years of the deal, $29 million guaranteed.

That’s an average of $15 million per season which makes him the fifth highest-paid offensive tackle in all of football.

So what did the NY Jets learn from this? Offensive linemen in free agency are going to cost you a lot of dough.

Consider this, DJ was only negotiating with the Cardinals and signed ahead of free agency and he still became the fifth highest-paid offensive tackle in football. Imagine how much bigger the cap figure would’ve been if the Cardinals had to bid against the other 31 teams in the league?

You know your team's management is deaf, dumb and blind if they don't realize that the offensive line is the most important unit to keep stocked with quality talent.   Good QB, Good RB, Good WR's and bad offensive line equals wasted money, poor production and a dead QB.  You build the line first and make sure you are always adding depth and taking into consideration that your top performing lineman are going to rake your ass over the coals when their contract is up.  Have plans to replace them in the draft *REGULARLY* or get used to sucking year in and year out.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, varjet said:

The guarantee for year 2 only kicks in after June 2021.  This was somewhat cosmetic.  The guarantee for 2021 should have kicked in before 2021 free agency.  

This was not a great contract for Humphries.  I would give the same contract to Beachum today. 

Maybe he actually likes playing for the Cardinals???

• Upvote 1

I don't love the IOL in this draft so I'm down to spend the money there and at CB, which will allow us to focus on WR, OT and depth in the draft. The biggest problem tho is that everyone is focused on the big name guys in FA. The IOL i would try to sign are Glasgow and Quinton Spain. Both are starting quality players and both allow versatility in the draft at a relatively low cost. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Arizona will only be counting $1.6 million of dead money against the cap if Humphries is cut prior to June 1 of 2021 and just $800,000 for the 2022 season, according to OverTheCap.com.

So the author of the article is a chicken little who failed to do his homework or is just after clicks.  Thanks for setting us all straight. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

there is no better way to be average long term then committing big money to average players. this is the major reason why the "good teams" dont participate in the first day of free agency frenzy. I like Beachum, but unless he takes a team friendly deal i'd take my chances with the draft, FA and the trade market.

oo I agree, I just don't think we'll be able to attract enough difference makers to use up our $80m in cap. Poor franchises need to overpay because they are bad at drafting. Fix the drafting problem and the overpaying for average talent goes away, for the most part.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

We have zero starting caliber Offensive Lineman. I love this draft’s OL.  Simply make 3 of your first 4 picks offensive lineman! 

sign one big free agent to start. Resign Lewis, maybe Beachum if the contract isn’t prohibive. Then let the young pups develop. Have them compete with Edoga.  

Go ALL IN on drafting OL this year. It makes Sam and Le’Veon better compounding the benefit.

This is EXACTY what we should be doing. 

• Upvote 2

This is why building the OL through the draft is so important. JD has got to take the best OL available when we pick. I hate to trade away draft picks but it looks like the Jets will get the 4th best OL left at #11 but in this draft I wouldn't mind trading a 3rd to move up to the #9 spot if JD thought it was worth it.

If the Jets were to trade somebody and receive a 1st and 3rd/4th then they could parley that into two of the top OL in this years draft.

6 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

by Paul A. Esden Jr.

I learned one important thing from this article Their GM must be related to Macc

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

We have zero starting caliber Offensive Lineman. I love this draft’s OL.  Simply make 3 of your first 4 picks offensive lineman! 

sign one big free agent to start. Resign Lewis, maybe Beachum if the contract isn’t prohibive. Then let the young pups develop. Have them compete with Edoga.  

Go ALL IN on drafting OL this year. It makes Sam and Le’Veon better compounding the benefit.

This is all we can do really. That #11 has to be Oline. Plenty of very good WRs in this draft. It's crazy to think this organization could have Watson at QB & in 2018 Quinten Nelson, Roquan Smith, Minkah Fitzpatric or Derwin James?   + who knows who else with three high #2s? And Josh Allen & maybe Deebo Samuels at #2 in 2019?

And I love Sam but how the f*ck can Macc pass on a QB when he has Fitz? Ridiculous & just 1 of many reasons this guy should have been sh*tcanned long before he was.

So, instead of needing to rebuild our entire Oline, or find a #1 CB, or an Edge Rusher, or a WR, we would have had possibly 3 EXPENSIVE positions locked up in rookie contracts.

I know, I know, water under the bridge but WHY US? WHY IS IT THE JETS ARE RUN BY ABSOLUTE IMBECILES?  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think they probably knew this before the signing. FAs always get contracts near the top end of their market. The biggest issue IMO is if we wanted to keep Beachum, he may be asking for far more money than we want to commit. The problem with that is we don't know if a LT will be there at #11.

We could always transition tag Beachem to buy some time and see if whatever anyone at best wants to pay him would we want to match. If too high let him bolt, perhaps if we can sign Thuney to replace Winters, and then see if during the draft watch how the board unfolds and if we are serious enough for a LT we like we may have to trade up to get him. Then draft a center with one of our 3rd rounders and the line would start out as below:

LT - Starter: 1st round draft pick, Backup: Chuma

LG - Starter: Thuney, Backup-Compton

C - Starter Harrison,  Backup: 3rd round draft pick

RG - Starter: Lewis, Backup-Compton

RT - Starter: Shell, Backup-Chuma

Draft mid to late round G and T for depth, Out of 8 draft picks we should spend 4 on Oline and 2 of them in the 1st few rounds. Then at least one big name or starter in FA and maybe some depth in FA too. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is all we can do really. That #11 has to be Oline. Plenty of very good WRs in this draft. It's crazy to think this organization could have Watson at QB & in 2018 Quinten Nelson, Roquan Smith, Minkah Fitzpatric or Derwin James?   + who knows who else with three high #2s? And Josh Allen & maybe Deebo Samuels at #2 in 2019?

And I love Sam but how the f*ck can Macc pass on a QB when he has Fitz? Ridiculous & just 1 of many reasons this guy should have been sh*tcanned long before he was.

So, instead of needing to rebuild our entire Oline, or find a #1 CB, or an Edge Rusher, or a WR, we would have had possibly 3 EXPENSIVE positions locked up in rookie contracts.

I know, I know, water under the bridge but WHY US? WHY IS IT THE JETS ARE RUN BY ABSOLUTE IMBECILES?  

Yes, but somewhere in the mudslime of this world Macc is waiting and if by some chance Darnold gets further than Watson as far as at one point deeper in the playoffs where you can see Watson can only go so high with his ceiling, Macc will then get the credit as no one else can really take it. Sure JD can then take credit if that occurs since it would be much due to a rebuilt oline, but only Macc can take credit for Darnold. 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So the Jets head into Free Agency looking for the most expensive and premium positions outside of QB this offseason - Left Tackle, Cornerback 1, Edge Rusher, WR 1?

Thanks Macc.

Oh but DT, Safety and MLB is locked up for a decade lol

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

We could always transition tag Beachem to buy some time and see if whatever anyone at best wants to pay him would we want to match. If too high let him bolt, perhaps if we can sign Thuney to replace Winters, and then see if during the draft watch how the board unfolds and if we are serious enough for a LT we like we may have to trade up to get him. Then draft a center with one of our 3rd rounders and the line would start out as below:

LT - Starter: 1st round draft pick, Backup: Chuma

LG - Starter: Thuney, Backup-Compton

C - Starter Harrison,  Backup: 3rd round draft pick

RG - Starter: Lewis, Backup-Compton

RT - Starter: Shell, Backup-Chuma

Draft mid to late round G and T for depth, Out of 8 draft picks we should spend 4 on Oline and 2 of them in the 1st few rounds. Then at least one big name or starter in FA and maybe some depth in FA too. 

My first thought was that franchising Beachum is insanity, but the franchise is about $14M and transition $13M.  I was thinking he'd get $12M anyway, so this might not be unreasonable.  

I am not sure about your projections.  Lewis, Compton and Shell are all UFA.  I think that basically, they only have Harrison, Edoga, Winters, Braden, and McDermott under contract, plus a couple of ERFA types like Jimmy Murray and Lundblade.   Even with what seems like a rational plan of not having high hopes, holding on to Winters and transition tagging Beachum, you still might be optimistic with what we can trot out there.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This “lesson” is as old as time.   You can’t rely on free agency to solve all your problems.  Especially at certain more valuable positions like OT and WR.   Just look at what becomes available now at those positions, a whole lot of nothing.  

Yep.  And the cap going up every year actually reduces the talent pool in FA.  Teams have more money to bring back quality players, leaving only the scraps to be left behind.

I ca'tt say I blame Arizona for paying a high price on their OL.  They aren't exactly the smartest run organization in the world and effectively replacing OL is one of the most difficult things to do in the NFL.  Better to re-sign them what you can then dedicate key resources in replacing those lineman.

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

The first was they learned the guy was not going to be available

the second thing they learned is that even avergae OL guys get a kings ransom

i think

That’s an average of $15 million per season which makes him the fifth highest-paid offensive tackle in all of football.

You can't list a 1.  then not follow it up with no 2.