What WRs do you want in 2nd/3rd/4th rounds?

Augustiniak

If Douglas is who we think he is, we're getting a tackle in the first round.  This means we're getting at least wr on day 2, maybe 2, depending on what happens in FA.  I don't know much about the wr class beyond the few discussed as first round prospects, but since this wr class is supposedly so deep, i'm asking the board for opinions on what wrs we're hoping to get in the mid-2nd and early 3rd rounds.

It will be interesting to see just how many of these WRs go before pick 48.  If we assume the usual suspects go in the first, there could be some nail biting going on to see who makes it to 48.  

For me, I would feel totally comfortable taking Mims at 48, I think there is a very good chance he will be available there.   After that when the 3rd round rolls around you should have guys like Pittman, AGG, KJ Hill, C. Johnson, B Edwards, Claypool, Van Jefferson.  Some of those guys will probably be around in the 4th as well.  

I think the value and talent will be gone by the end of the 4th round.  The Jets are in too much of a desperate situation at WR to not take multiple guys with in the first 5 picks.  They need guys who can contribute day one, and given this talent pool you could easily get two guys who will do that.  You just can’t wait till the 5th round to attempt to get those guys though.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It will be interesting to see just how many of these WRs go before pick 48.  If we assume the usual suspects go in the first, there could be some nail biting going on to see who makes it to 48.  

For me, I would feel totally comfortable taking Mims at 48, I think there is a very good chance he will be available there.   After that when the 3rd round rolls around you should have guys like Pittman, AGG, KJ Hill, C. Johnson, B Edwards, Claypool, Van Jefferson.  Some of those guys will probably be around in the 4th as well.  

I think the value and talent will be gone by the end of the 4th round.  The Jets are in too much of a desperate situation at WR to not take multiple guys with in the first 5 picks.  They need guys who can contribute day one, and given this talent pool you could easily get two guys who will do that.  You just can’t wait till the 5th round to attempt to get those guys though.  

assuming no trades, the jets 1st 4 picks could well be OT/wr/cb/wr.  i am expecting 1 cb on day 2.  i can't see them drafting 4 offensive players with those 4 picks although that's what they need.  using a pick on a cb on day 2 means that they'll have to sign 2 OL in FA.  

Just now, JiF said:

My favorite WR's that I think will be available past the 1st round are: 

Denzel Mims, Brandon Aiyuk, KJ Hill, Bryan Edwards, Michael Pittman, Colin Johnson, Van Jefferson, Tyler Johnson and my sleeper pick is Juan Jennings.

I forgot about Aiyuk, I’m still not sold on him yet though.  

Okay, I'll throw some ideas out there....probably off with the target rounds a little but....

2nd - Jefferson (if he lasts) Reagor, Ayuik (maybe Mims)

3rd - Mims, Bryan Edwards

4th - Pittman, AGG, Van Jefferson (high ceiling, low floor....like him in 4th or later especially if we've hit WR once already with a true weapon in the 2nd)

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

My dream is Cushenberry or Ruiz in Rd 2 and Mims with the Giants pick... my bet right now is that none of these players would be there at these picks so if we did choose Mims at 48 I'd be OK with it. Mims is the "lowest ranked" that I think has a real chance of being a WR1

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I forgot about Aiyuk, I’m still not sold on him yet though.  

I'll be real, I'm going off of write ups on him.  I watched 1 game of ASU vs. WSU and it was shoot out and he went off.  Eno Benjamin too.  I remember thinking both looked like they had next level skill sets.

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I am.  He's my #8 WR.

You want Aiyuk!

I love his build.  He has an insane wingspan, has nice speed and elusiveness.  My knock on him is that he doesn’t have, or hasn’t shown that aggressiveness in coming up with contested balls or going up and high pointing the ball.  I like him far more than let’s say Reagor though.  I’d still take Mims over him in a second.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Okay, I'll throw some ideas out there....probably off with the target rounds a little but....

4th - Pittman, AGG, Van Jefferson (high ceiling, low floor....like him in 4th or later especially if we've hit WR once already with a true weapon in the 2nd)

You sure Pittman lasts that far?  I know it’s early, but I thought he was projecting more as a second rounder.

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

I really like Aiyuk as well as some of the other names mentioned. The one guy that not many are talking about is Donovan Peoples Jones. He has some Dez Bryant to him, but his numbers are mediocre because he had Shea Patterson throwing the ball to him. 

DPJ is a tricky eval IMO.  It’s easy to blame the QB situation in Michigan for the lack of production, it’s definitely a factor.  He’s not the most twitchy guy and may need to be more of a big slot kind of guy in the NFL.  Similar to Claypool IMO.  I’m not sure you can pencil him in as a boundary X receiver.  For those reasons his value is probably a little lower for me, but can be a nice piece in a complete WR group.  

On 2/21/2020 at 6:30 AM, jetstream23 said:

I would also throw in D. Peoples-Jones, I know he does not have a lot of production but the talent is there in spades and he can contribute on special teams. His stock has fallen so much this past season that he is pretty much a sleeper pick unless he blows people away at the combine, which he might. The Jets could snag him in the 5th. 

Another sleeper, raw, developmental prospect is Tyrie Cleveland out of Florida. Not sure if he is even going to enter the draft but he is an absolute burner, has great size and a nice wide frame and has those big mitts with a nice catch radius. Rd. 6- UDFA

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2020 at 3:14 PM, sec101row23 said:

I love his build.  He has an insane wingspan, has nice speed and elusiveness.  My knock on him is that he doesn’t have, or hasn’t shown that aggressiveness in coming up with contested balls or going up and high pointing the ball.  I like him far more than let’s say Reagor though.  I’d still take Mims over him in a second.  

the antithesis to Collin Johnson

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 9:08 AM, Augustiniak said:

assuming no trades, the jets 1st 4 picks could well be OT/wr/cb/wr.  i am expecting 1 cb on day 2.  i can't see them drafting 4 offensive players with those 4 picks although that's what they need.  using a pick on a cb on day 2 means that they'll have to sign 2 OL in FA.  

Doesn't FA dictate who we will be drafting since it opens in a few weeks? The draft isn't until end of April.  If for instance we sign a couple OL then that frees up options to go WR or edge or cb with the first 4 picks. And vice versa. FA will be very interesting and will change how JD approaches the draft. 

I like Van Jefferson as a later Round guy (5th or later) only if we've grabbed a true potential difference maker at WR earlier in the Draft (a Jeudy, Lamb, Higgins, Aiyuk, etc.).  Van Jefferson is the classic high floor/low ceiling guy who should be a decent possession WR in the NFL, a good route runner, solid fundamentally....but will likely never be a game breaker or difference maker.  I'd like him for depth...a reliable guy who does most things fairly well.  He's probably something like a WR4 for most of his career but could top out as a WR2 I guess.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:25 AM, JiF said:

My favorite WR's that I think will be available past the 1st round are: 

Denzel Mims, Brandon Aiyuk, KJ Hill, Bryan Edwards, Michael Pittman, Colin Johnson, Van Jefferson, Tyler Johnson and my sleeper pick is Juan Jennings.

^ THIS, minus the Johnson’s and KJ. 

Add Justin Jefferson to the front of this list.