Sign in to follow this  
Darnold Schwarzenegger

Wilder V Fury II

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

it was over the second that Fury punch blew out his ear drum. 

Yep... Equilibrium

19 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

There is nothing like a heavyweight championship title fight!!!

I give this one an 8 for excitement.

I give it a 2 for actual boxing... mostly cause they were wearing gloves.

Sloppy....unskilled... dare I say embarrassing?

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Tyson announced he was making a comeback and challenging Fury for the titles. Tyson, Holyfield, and Lewis at their age right now would take either of these guys out in one round. They all must have been frothing-at-the-mouth at ringside. I feel embarrassed for them.

Listen I know these guys were definitely in a real fight but did they even train? They both came in 30 lbs heavier than the last fight. Deontay Wilder has absolutely no head movement At all! Can't move his feet can't get in rhythm. Tyson Fury looks like a wrestler ..pretending to be a boxer..like WWE.

SMH... is this really the best they can offer!?  Go check out Tyson vs Ruddock 1 and 2... Go check out the Bowe vs Holyfield trilogy.. anybody ever heard of Ali vs Frazier!? I...II...III?

Sorry guys I know it was a heavyweight championship fight but to me these guys looked like f****** amateurs. But props to the dude that told me about the Stream. I enjoyed watching it I just wish there was better boxing these days

My grandfather had me lace them up the first time when I was about 7 years old. He handled fighters in South Brooklyn for years. I had a few matches in the gym, but my grandmother and my mom, drew the line there. Later on, I found out why, (long story).

Anyway, the point of the story is you sound like him, then my dad, and now I talk about the current generation of fighters... back then "ours" were always better, LOL.

Here's the problem with that. There is not a single sport where the athletes of today aren't better then the athletes of the prior generations. It's just a fact. The training, nutrition, mental preparation... not to mention they're bigger, stronger and faster.

You want to talk technical skills? Jimmy Young was a vastly superior boxer then Wilder will ever be, but who would you bet on if they matched up today?

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Total appreciation for the story about your grandfather ..that's awesome!

I agree for the most part that athletes of today are just better trained in better shape have vastly improve their knowledge of conditioning and nutrition excetera...but what I just watched was two guys that have no clue how to box!

They both came in grossly overweight and out-of-shape. Neither of them had good balance or footwork especially Wilder. He'll watching this fight really made me miss Tuesday night fights with Sean O'Grady and Marv Albert Remember that!?  What a show!

Lol, yeah, I do, and what about the fights on Wide World of Sports? I remember watching Ali- Norton, and a bunch of others, title fights included. My favorite was Ray Mancini, whose dad my grandfather knew well, along with another old trainer, Jimmy Banfi all on Saturday afternoon.. Then you had the early HBO fights, and what was probably the best title fight I've ever seen, Arguello vs Pryor. That was the one where Aaron drank from the "mystery bottle"...

I get your point about these guys tonight, but you have to rember Fury came in at what? 6'9" 270? The man moves well for that size, and must hit like a truck. Wilder has always been the ultimate one trick pony, but lets face it, that right of his is one of the best weapons we've ever seen. I never look to the heavyweights for a "tech" fight, especially since they're no longer in the 2-210 lb range. These guys are monstrous.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Kind of just eluded to the same thing... Wilder's defense was non-existent, and it cost him. 

Wilder has that phenomenal right, but very little boxing skill. After I got home, I heard a guy on ESPN ringside saying he's never had to fight with his back on the ropes. Aazing that could be true about a champion with over 40 fights. I guess that does back up @Greenbloodblitz comment about today's fighters though...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Your grandfather was right.  Boxing is unlike most sports and honestly the level of fighters in the 60s and 70s was considerably higher than today.  Part of that is selection effects (boxing used to be the most popular sport in the world, and now its probably not even top ten).  But by every metric things aren’t better.  The best punching power stats (ppi) were set decades ago.  George Foreman could come in age 40 something and bully Holyfield, who in turn would make someone like Wilder look like an infant.  

Fury is an interesting fighter though.  He does not suck and could probably hold his own in any era.  No he’s not beating Ali or Tyson, or even a Lennox Lewis but for a guy that size with that long reach, his handspeed, head movement and overall agility is quite impressive.  He’s probably the first heavyweight in a long time who’s level can be said to be respectable relative to the old days.

He loved the sport.

When other kids were going to Yankee Stadium, or Shea, he was taking me to Sunnyside or Madison Square Gardens for things like Nino Benvenuti vs Emile Griffith, lol.

The one group of "modern" fighters he loved was that Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Hector "Macho Man " Camacho, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran bunch. It's funny though, he loved Duran and his "hands of Stone", but I think Camacho was his favorite, skill wise. He'd really get excited watching him. The guy knew how to box so well, he just didn't have the power those others did...

This thread is bringing back a lot of nice memories for me.

30 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I’ll bite. I think Fury at his best (Wlad and last night) takes Lennox in his prime. I am a die hard Lennox fan and I have actually met him a few times and he’s hella inspiring, but styles make fights and it’s tough to imagine a scenario where Lennox is able to get his jab going against a guy Fury’s size with his style of movement. Fun to think about though. I actually think Fury takes almost everyone from that core group of the 90’s. Can’t emphasize this enough but you don’t realize how big he is until you’re standing next to him. 

It seems to me that Lennox Lewis never got the credit he deserved.

He was really, really good, and seemed like a class act. I'm not sure about this, but if I remember correctly in his prime, he never had a "nemesis" the way Ali, Frazier and Foreman, or Tyson and Holyfield had each other. I can't remember him fighting anyone I thought had anywhere near his talent, or ever being in a "mega fight." That's not his fault, of course, but I think it hurts him in a historical sense.

Larry Holmes was another one like that... great fighter, wrong time.

Thoughts? Am I simply forgetting, and completely wrong about this?

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I feel like an idiot. 

I loved Fury heading into the rematch and was going to put some money on him, but everyone I talked to liked Wilder and I chickened out. 

Meh

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I had a feeling about Fury also, but let's be honest. In the back of your mind before the fight, you weren't thinking about a Wilder right hand to the temple? I know I was.

That's what's great about heavyweights, and boxing in general. One, just one big punch can turn everything upside down.

Remember Buster Douglas?

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I couldn't stand Lennox Lewis back in the day but he actually pulled out a lot of wins against a lot of really good Fighters. He could adjust his style to each individual and was a very smart fighter in the ring.

Go to YouTube if you want to check out a classic  I think he actually lost .....Lennox Lewis vs Merciless Ray Mercer!

Meh. 

No need for YouTube I remember Ray Mercer very well, and I think he’s the perfect example to make my point about that era. He was a good fighter, tough, and always gave a great effort. He was the “guy nobody wants to fight” type. The kind of fighter you keep a young guy building a resume, or on the verge of a title shot away from.

In a “golden age” he’s the guy on the card who comes into the ring at 11pm, not at midnight. A just below the top of the card fighter, yet there he was, a headliner in the Lewis era.

4 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Deontay Wilder: “He didn’t hurt me at all, but the simple fact is my uniform was way too heavy for me. I didn’t have no legs from the beginning of the fight… I didn’t think it was going to be that heavy. It weighed 40lbs with the helmet and all the batteries.”

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried, LOL.

Isn't this funny? @#27TheDominator was just talking about Tyson in the post above this one. He'd enter the ring with a plain white towel cut to slip over his head and cover his shoulders. Now we get Vegas productions.

Somewhere Rocky Marciano is shaking his head reading Wilder's quote.

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company