The hidden elephant in the draft room

JohnnyLV

Like everyone else I am very pleased with the fact that Mac is gone, and I think Douglas is a completely different level of GM potentially in terms of experience and capability.

But here is what worries me and what nobody is discussing:

We still have the same scouting department

Neither Idzik or Mac made any significant changes to the scouting department primarily scout standpoint.

At the end of the day we hope Douglas will be better at evaluating talent, and choosing both the right players in the draft and in pro personal moves, but much of that still starts with the evaluations of the scouts in the field.

Douglas has said that he wants to change the language of the scouting department so that college and pro players are evaluated equally but that will take time to implement and we have not seen much movement in scouting and likely won't until after this first draft.

Remember this is a scouting department that signed off on Polite, Hackenburg and a litany of others as draftable prospects. A staff that rated Adams higher than Watson and Mahomes. Sure Mac made those choices but does anyone really believe they were completely in a vaccuum?

I am really concerned that our entire player evaluation scheme is flawed and even with a better GM the inputs he gets will lead to making bad draft decisions again.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Douglass probably made some changes, and may have kept some guys too. He's been around, sounds like he worked hard on his way up, so probably knows good scouts/ evaluators when he sees them. Some guys that were on staff he may have kept because he knows their talent. Remember, it sounds like Macc pretty much was a one man show during the whole draft process so I doubt he really put a ton of faith in what the scouts, or coaches, felt, unless they were in virtual agreement with him.

• Upvote 1

Macc revamped the scouting department, it didn't make us better. Idzik didn't change much. Gase fired some scouts. I think there was an article about how Joe Douglas was gonna change the priorities and reporting methods of the scouts. So, because I have no idea how any of this actually works, worrying about it seems premature. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Reasonable concern but there's another way to look at it.  What if Douglas and the rest of the staff he brought in
knows the scouts and respects their opinions?  What if after reviewing the scouting reports on prospects Douglas
realized that the problem was the person doing the selecting?  Because I assumed he would totally revamp the
scouting staff after coming on board but he didn't.  And when Douglas got hired (May) it was the perfect time
to blow up the staff but he didn't

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Reasonable concern but there's another way to look at it.  What if Douglas and the rest of the staff he brought in
knows the scouts and respects their opinions?  What if after reviewing the scouting reports on prospects Douglas
realized that the problem was the person doing the selecting?  Because I assumed he would totally revamp the
scouting staff after coming on board but he didn't.  And when Douglas got hired (May) it was the perfect time
to blow up the staff but he didn't

What if he doesnt have the  budget to revamp the staff or hire expensive Ivy guys to build an analytics dept like the Eagles have?

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

What if he doesnt have the  budget to revamp the staff or hire expensive Ivy guys to build an analytics dept like the Eagles have?

Why would that be the case???  For the first time in forever a Jet GM actually hired multiple
personnel people for his staff (Hogan, Alexander & Savage).  Those guys cost more $$$ than
scouts do

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Why would that be the case???  For the first time in forever a Jet GM actually hired multiple
personnel people for his staff (Hogan, Alexander & Savage).  Those guys cost more $$$ than
scouts do

I dunno. But the Jets have been old school/eye test across multiple GM’s now.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Like everyone else I am very pleased with the fact that Mac is gone, and I think Douglas is a completely different level of GM potentially in terms of experience and capability.

But here is what worries me and what nobody is discussing:

We still have the same scouting department

Neither Idzik or Mac made any significant changes to the scouting department primarily scout standpoint.

At the end of the day we hope Douglas will be better at evaluating talent, and choosing both the right players in the draft and in pro personal moves, but much of that still starts with the evaluations of the scouts in the field.

Douglas has said that he wants to change the language of the scouting department so that college and pro players are evaluated equally but that will take time to implement and we have not seen much movement in scouting and likely won't until after this first draft.

Remember this is a scouting department that signed off on Polite, Hackenburg and a litany of others as draftable prospects. A staff that rated Adams higher than Watson and Mahomes. Sure Mac made those choices but does anyone really believe they were completely in a vaccuum?

I am really concerned that our entire player evaluation scheme is flawed and even with a better GM the inputs he gets will lead to making bad draft decisions again.

A few things there to ease us all a bit:

1) JD highed a few of his own guys from Ravens and Eagles, so they will be the circle that will mainly make the decisions.

2) JD is attending all of the main Shrine, Scouting combine, etc. and will at least get enough data on the top players that can make up the first few rounds of the draft i.e rounds 1-3.

3) That is why JD wanted a 6 year contract since he will over time replace the scout team.

Now as you said, these scout team members are the ones you depend on for data especially for players in the mid to late rounds that maybe JD can't do enough of himself since at one point you have to delegate certain things. Those later picks get you depth, sometime starters early or later, in their career and even a kicker or other great ST player. Since I said that I have a sneaky feeling the 6th rounder we got back (which incidently is the KC pick i.e the end of the 6th round), could be used on a kicker to compete with Fickus and Meyer.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, KRL said:

scouts do

Savage knows his sh*t & is a real insider. Hogan was very good for the Colts & JD with the Ravens & Eagles. I think we have a good think tank of 3 guys that would have never drafted 2 safeties in the 1st 2 rounds, drafted Hackenberg, gone DT AGAIN, or ignored the QB position until they had to trade 3 #2s to land a guy & really have no clue how it was going to play out. Macc got LUCKY the Browns took Mayfield, otherwise we'd be the team NOT MOVING ON from Josh Rosen. Can you imagine Josh Rosen behind this oline for 2 years? Can you say TRACTION?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1