Alshon Jeffery on the block, basically for free

T0mShane

Alshon Jeffery, Eagles reportedly agree that a trade would be good for both parties

Frank Schwab

Yahoo SportsFebruary 21, 2020, 9:57 PM UTC

Alshon Jeffery was a big part of the Philadelphia Eagles’ Super Bowl championship team, but the relationship seems fractured a couple years later.

According to a report by Connor Hughes of The Athletic, the Eagles are shopping Jeffery in a trade, and the veteran receiver would welcome a change in scenery. Hughes wrote in his report that the New York Jets would be a possible trade partner.

There are hurdles to dealing Jeffery, in regards to the salary cap, but it seems both parties would like to try.

Alshon Jeffery’s relationship with Eagles has been rocky

Last season, an anonymous source was critical of Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, and Jeffery was speculated as the source according to Hughes. That could be the root of the trade speculation. It hasn’t been proven that Jeffery was the source, but The Athletic cited league sources and said “Wentz and Jeffery never saw eye-to-eye and their relationship was testy.”

Not many receivers will survive a feud with their franchise quarterback. The Eagles aren’t going to move Wentz, so it makes sense that they’d start to shop Jeffery.

Actually trading Jeffery will be a challenge on multiple levels, however.

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery could be traded this offseason. (AP Photo/Bruce Kluckhohn)

Challenges in trading Jeffery

Jeffery had surgery for a Lisfranc injury to his foot in mid-December, and that will likely wipe out most or all of his offseason. Jeffery has a long history of injuries, and the latest injury adds a lot of risk for any team trading for the 30-year-old wideout.

As Hughes points out, there would have to be some salary-cap gymnastics too (assuming a new collective-bargaining agreement isn’t in place very soon, which could change cap ramifications to trades). The Eagles would take a $16 million cap hit, the prorated part of his signing bonus over the rest of his contract, Hughes said. It’s a whopping $26 million hit if the Eagles cut Jeffery, so they’ll work hard on a trade.

Jeffery hasn’t had a 1,000-yard season since 2014, mostly because he has only played a full 16 games in a season once since then. But he’s still a talented receiver who, when healthy, can be a true No. 1. Even if this is the end for Jeffery in Philadelphia, he’ll be remembered there forever for catching 73 yards and a touchdown in Super Bowl LII. He also had two touchdowns in the NFC championship game against the Vikings.

But plenty of player-team relationships come to a difficult end, and it seems that’s where the Eagles and Jeffery are. Now comes the challenge of finding a trade partner.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Alshon Jeffery, Eagles reportedly agree that a trade would be good for both parties

Frank Schwab

Yahoo SportsFebruary 21, 2020, 9:57 PM UTC

Alshon Jeffery was a big part of the Philadelphia Eagles’ Super Bowl championship team, but the relationship seems fractured a couple years later.

According to a report by Connor Hughes of The Athletic, the Eagles are shopping Jeffery in a trade, and the veteran receiver would welcome a change in scenery. Hughes wrote in his report that the New York Jets would be a possible trade partner.

There are hurdles to dealing Jeffery, in regards to the salary cap, but it seems both parties would like to try.

Alshon Jeffery’s relationship with Eagles has been rocky

Last season, an anonymous source was critical of Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, and Jeffery was speculated as the source according to Hughes. That could be the root of the trade speculation. It hasn’t been proven that Jeffery was the source, but The Athletic cited league sources and said “Wentz and Jeffery never saw eye-to-eye and their relationship was testy.”

Not many receivers will survive a feud with their franchise quarterback. The Eagles aren’t going to move Wentz, so it makes sense that they’d start to shop Jeffery.

Actually trading Jeffery will be a challenge on multiple levels, however.

Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery could be traded this offseason. (AP Photo/Bruce Kluckhohn)

Challenges in trading Jeffery

Jeffery had surgery for a Lisfranc injury to his foot in mid-December, and that will likely wipe out most or all of his offseason. Jeffery has a long history of injuries, and the latest injury adds a lot of risk for any team trading for the 30-year-old wideout.

As Hughes points out, there would have to be some salary-cap gymnastics too (assuming a new collective-bargaining agreement isn’t in place very soon, which could change cap ramifications to trades). The Eagles would take a $16 million cap hit, the prorated part of his signing bonus over the rest of his contract, Hughes said. It’s a whopping $26 million hit if the Eagles cut Jeffery, so they’ll work hard on a trade.

Jeffery hasn’t had a 1,000-yard season since 2014, mostly because he has only played a full 16 games in a season once since then. But he’s still a talented receiver who, when healthy, can be a true No. 1. Even if this is the end for Jeffery in Philadelphia, he’ll be remembered there forever for catching 73 yards and a touchdown in Super Bowl LII. He also had two touchdowns in the NFC championship game against the Vikings.

But plenty of player-team relationships come to a difficult end, and it seems that’s where the Eagles and Jeffery are. Now comes the challenge of finding a trade partner.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

He’s older, but a big, tough, professional receiver that could help Darnold by simply being where he’s supposed to go. I wouldn’t give up a pick, but I might do an Alshon for Avery Williamson deal. 

CC:  @Villain The Foe

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Eagles are hurting at WR.  They're rumored to be targeting Robby Anderson in FA.  They want to Draft a Top 5 WR towards the end of Round 1.  They are now looking to move Alshon Jeffrey.  Will the Jets be dumb enough to offer a pick?

Half the guys here will be. Because they want anybody who they think comes cheap.

..and for a 7th, why not?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RobR said:

So lets clear this up a bit.

30 years old

Coming off of Lisfranc surgery

Hasn't hit 1000 yards in 6 years

Possibly the deepest WR draft class in over 20 years

And some of you want to trade assets for that? 

giphy.gif

What 6th or 7th RD(assuming it's that type of compensation) WR do you project being better over the next handful of years than Jeffrey?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What 6th or 7th RD(assuming it's that type of compensation) WR do you project being better over the next handful of years than Jeffrey?

Meh.  We got 36 rec/433 yards out of Demaryius Thomas in a similar type of deal.  I'd rather role the dice on an unknown that the Jet's scouted well this close to the draft. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I guess I was also leaving out his 10mil cap hit.

Trading for players that other teams are hell bent on jettisoning never works out and this would be another example of that. I'm not wasting one resource we have to bring in a broken down receiver with a huge cap hit. It's about time we start drafting well and search out other teams to dump our garbage on, instead of the other way around.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Half the guys here will be. Because they want anybody who comes cheap.

Keep the picks.  Start the foundation with a small group of Jamison Crowder + 3-4 guys who should be upgraded (Enunwa, Demaryius Thomas, Vyncint Smith, Berrios) Then Sign a FA.  Draft 2 wide receivers in April (2nd and 5th rounds).

I'd be fine starting Camp with Jamison Crowder, Emmanuel Sanders, Jalen Reagor, Quincy Enunwa (if healthy), Demaryius Thomas, Vyncint Smith, Braxton Berrios, Collin Johnson and maybe a couple of Undrafted Free Agents.

Depth Chart into Training Camp?

Emmanuel Sanders - Demaryuis Thomas - Collin Johnson

Quincy Enunwa(?) - Jalen Reagor - Vyncint Smith

Jamison Crowder - Braxton Berrios

Jalen Reagor, 5'11" 195 lbs.

Best Trait - Vertical Receiving 

Worst Trait - Drops

Best Film - WVU (2018)

Worst Film - Oklahoma (2019)

Red Flags - None

Summary - Jalen Reagor is one of the most dynamic receiving prospects in the 2020 NFL Draft. Reagor's skill set fits best when projecting forward into a vertical passing offense as a Z-receiver, where he can defeat press coverage, attack down the field and force defenses to respect his speed or pay the consequences. Reagor brings explosive burst and simultaneous control on his stems to carry himself for separation — he's got upside to work inside as a slot receiver as well. NFL starter. 

Updated: 12/23/2019

Collin Johnson, 6'6" 221 lbs.

Best Trait - Football IQ

Worst Trait - Separation

Best Film - Oklahoma (2019)

Worst Film - LSU (2019)

Red Flags - None

Player Summary - Collin Johnson projects as a stereotypical X-receiver at the NFL level. He wins in tight spaces, defeats press with hand usage and strength and illustrates a large catch radius to contest errant throws. Johnson's lack of short area quickness and inability to consistently create separation on his routes will cause some headaches and tempers his upside, he's more of an ideal depth player and potential red zone target given his looming size. Johnson should stick long-term as a depth player. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, RobR said:

So lets clear this up a bit.

30 years old

Coming off of Lisfranc surgery

Hasn't hit 1000 yards in 6 years

Possibly the deepest WR draft class in over 20 years

And some of you want to trade assets for that? 

giphy.gif

I think its just the name recognition.   my first thought was oh man, I'd love to have Jeffrey.  Then I realized all that you just broke down. Add to that his high salary. 

2020- $15.6 mil

2021- $18.5 mil 

Seems pretty cray cray unless the Eagles looked at it as a personal Favor to JD and they owed us big time and we played around with some other stuff that would help the Jets out. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Meh.  We got 36 rec/433 yards out of Demaryius Thomas in a similar type of deal.  I'd rather role the dice on an unknown that the Jet's scouted well this close to the draft. 

It's one thing to say acquire Jeffrey and forgo drafting a WR in Rd 1-3 because of it.  I would not be in favor of that.

If the question is simply would I rather have Alshon Jeffrey or a WR with the exact pick needed to acquire him, I'll take Jeffrey every time.  

The odds of finding a starting caliber player at any position in RD 6 or 7 is very slim.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think its just the name recognition.   my first thought was oh man, I'd love to have Jeffrey.  Then I realized all that you just broke down. Add to that his high salary. 

2020- $15.6 mil

2021- $18.5 mil 

Seems pretty cray cray unless the Eagles looked at it as a personal Favor to JD and they owed us big time and we played around with some other stuff that would help the Jets out. 

I agree but for clarification he would be on the books for us at 9.9 mil. The Eagles would have too eat his prorated bonuses. 

We could re-sign Robby for a lower cap hit depending on structure.

• Upvote 3

I just don't see how this could work out.  Eagles cap hit for him will be huge, and with a $9.9MM salary for 2020, it would be crazy to trade for him.  Eagles would have to eat significant amount of $$$. 

Either that or we send them Trumaine Johnson and his $11MM salary for Jeffrey and his $9.9MM salary.  Can't really see any other way of a trade working out.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

Then why not keep a young injury free Robby Anderson for what would amount to the same cap hit or even lower and not give up any draft capital. I'm tired of watching us sign players that were on the cusp of falling off of a cliff, players their own team didn't want,  and then they fall off of that proverbial cliff here.

I don’t think they trust Robby Anderson with a huge contract with guarantees. I think if they want to go crazy, they should spend Robby’s money on Amari Cooper. If they don’t want to spend maximum dollars on a guy, then Jeffery is a reasonable choice at a relative bargain, imo. Obviously, trade compensation is the question, but the Eagles are motivated sellers. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t think they trust Robby Anderson with a huge contract with guarantees. I think if they want to go crazy, they should spend Robby’s money on Amari Cooper. If they don’t want to spend maximum dollars on a guy, then Jeffery is a reasonable choice at a relative bargain, imo. Obviously, trade compensation is the question, but the Eagles are motivated sellers. 

I'm just tired of bringing in players like him when we are rebuilding. He hasn't been relevant for over a half decade, has an injury that is brutal for a WR, can't work out all offseason, and comes with a 10 mil cap hit. Add in that he is already talking himself off of his current team and seems like a head case.

What could possibly go wrong? 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, RobR said:

I agree but for clarification he would be on the books for us at 9.9 mil. The Eagles would have too eat his prorated bonuses. 

We could re-sign Robby for a lower cap hit depending on structure.

Actually that's his base salary. His cap hit is much more than the $9.9 mil. unless it's the remaining prorated bonus portion you're talking about.  In truth I don't always have the strongest grasp of the numbers. I get lost in them at times.  But here's a breakdown.  Maybe you could clarify if I don't have it right, but these numbers are strictly for the Eagles?  

Alshon Jeffery signed a 4 year, $52,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $6,250,000 signing bonus, $26,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000. In 2020, Jeffery will earn a base salary of $9,910,000, a restructure bonus of $1,590,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,696,500 and a dead cap value of $26,106,000.

BONUS BREAKDOWN

CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING OPTION WORKOUT RESTRUCTURE CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2017 Contract details by year 27 $1,000,000 $9,000,000 - $750,000 - $10,750,000 $15,750,000 $16,000,000($16,000,000)  
2018 Contract details by year 28 $1,000,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 - - $3,975,000 $24,900,000 $7,900,000($23,900,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 29 $930,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 - $2,164,000 $6,069,000  $20,675,000 $11,750,000($35,650,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 30 $9,910,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 $250,000 $2,561,500 $15,696,500 $26,106,000 $11,750,000($47,400,000)  
2021 Contract details by year 31 $12,750,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 $250,000 $2,561,500 $18,536,500 $10,659,500 $13,000,000($60,400,000)

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Actually that's his base salary. His cap hit is much more than the $9.9 mil. unless it's the remaining prorated bonus portion you're talking about.  In truth I don't always have the strongest grasp of the numbers. I get lost in them at times.  But here's a breakdown.  Maybe you could clarify if I don't have it right, but these numbers are strictly for the Eagles?  

Alshon Jeffery signed a 4 year, $52,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $6,250,000 signing bonus, $26,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $13,000,000. In 2020, Jeffery will earn a base salary of $9,910,000, a restructure bonus of $1,590,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $15,696,500 and a dead cap value of $26,106,000.

BONUS BREAKDOWN

CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING OPTION WORKOUT RESTRUCTURE CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2017 Contract details by year 27 $1,000,000 $9,000,000 - $750,000 - $10,750,000 $15,750,000 $16,000,000($16,000,000)  
2018 Contract details by year 28 $1,000,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 - - $3,975,000 $24,900,000 $7,900,000($23,900,000)  
2019 Contract details by year 29 $930,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 - $2,164,000 $6,069,000  $20,675,000 $11,750,000($35,650,000)  
2020 Contract details by year 30 $9,910,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 $250,000 $2,561,500 $15,696,500 $26,106,000 $11,750,000($47,400,000)  
2021 Contract details by year 31 $12,750,000 $1,250,000 $1,725,000 $250,000 $2,561,500 $18,536,500 $10,659,500 $13,000,000($60,400,000)

Pretty sure it would be 9.9 and maybe you add in his workout bonus which is 250k. The Eagles will have to take the hit on his prorated signing bonus and any other guaranteed money in the contract as dead cap space. 

Here is a better breakdown from Jasons site. 

https://overthecap.com/player/alshon-jeffery/101/

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

If we trade for him, I am pretty sure we just pay the base.  $9.9MM.  Bonuses already paid by the Eagles would be accelerated to current year.  Would kill the Eagles cap to either trade or cut him.  They will have to get awfully creative to find a way to move on from him.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You’ve got to give Darnold immediate help, especially if you’re dumping Robby Anderson. Asking a rookie WR to be your #1 is a tall order. Outside of signing Amari Cooper, Jeffery is probably the best veteran receiver you could hope for this offseason 

^^^ 

Ashlon is a big body WR who can gives us that presence at the position that Darnold needs even if he isn’t as he use to be. A 6th for him would be tremendous. Enunwa and RA aren’t coming back and we’re so bare at the position. Go get him! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

If we trade for him, I am pretty sure we just pay the base.  $9.9MM.  Bonuses already paid by the Eagles would be accelerated to current year.  Would kill the Eagles cap to either trade or cut him.  They will have to get awfully creative to find a way to move on from him.

Got it. So it's advantageous for the tradee to a degree. Not having to pay the bonus portion gets you a potential #1 type of guy for  bargain price considering. 

The problem is $10 mil for a regularly injured 30 year old malcontent. Hmmmmm 

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Pretty sure it would be 9.9 and maybe you add in his workout bonus which is 250k. The Eagles will have to take the hit on his prorated signing bonus and any other guaranteed money in the contract as dead cap space. 

Right. I see it now. It's interesting to lick the tires on what the deal would look like but I would probably pass on this one. $10 mil is big boy money and even though a true #1 WR would be almost twice that much, I;'m not so sure he actually is one anymore. 

• Sympathy 1