Jets sign Josh Doctson

Lith

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

To keep this in perspective, he is a young kid with upside.  He will be given a chance to make the roster.  Maybe a replacement for DT.  If he makes the roster and gives us anything more than Thomas did last year it is a bonus.

was my 1st thought.

2nd was he's an ST guy to replace Bellamy.

it's bad he can;t stay healthy. So maybe it Enunwa he replaces.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Worth a shot. Still young, was a high pick, likely came very cheap on a 1-year deal.

Either he works out, in which case great, or he shows nothing and is an easy cut.

Maybe he's a guy that catches the under 2 minutes gw drive TD against New England in Foxboro this year. Only 1 of his 3 Tds all year. I'd remember him for years after that.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Jeffrey
Sanders
Doctson
Crowder

Herndon
Griffin

Bell

I could roll with that.  Spend the picks on the OL and CB this year, get young at WR next year.

SAR I

Usually I'd agree with this, but the WR class is historically good.

We need two or three.

1- OT

2-WR 

3-WR/IOL

3-WR/IOL 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Usually I'd agree with this, but the WR class is historically good.

We need two or three.

1- OT

2-WR 

3-WR/IOL

3-WR/IOL 

What would BB do? Everytime Belichick tried to go with young WRs it backfired on him & Brady and they turned to veterans. 

So for S & Gs the plan for JD is to go ALL OUT on getting this Oline fixed, bring a couple of young WRs along during the 2020 season but use veterans to surround Sam with experience so everyone's on the same page. 

Doctson has experience & upside. We still have Crowder,Smyth, Berrios. If JD swings a #7 or #6 for Alshon Jeffery, you have Herndon returning & Griffin back, that she a decent group. Now you add a guy like Micheal Pittman in the draft you've got a nice group. 

This allows JD to also try to get a CB & Edge Rusher. I'm seeing a pattern develop. Veterans without long term contracts, youngsters following to take their place. The it should always be. 

• Upvote 1

I wanted us to initially pick him up off waivers before I saw the money we would’ve been on the hook for.

I like it 

It’s a low risk, decent reward signing. If he makes the roster, I doubt it’s as anything more than the #4 wideout.

But it does seem more and more likely that Robby is gone, which is fine. I’d rather give a guy like Thuney $12-13 million a year over paying out the ass for a one dimensional player like Robby, especially when we could see as many as damn near 20 wideouts taken within the first 3 rounds this year.

Bolster the OL in FA and then either take one of the Top 4 OT’s at #11 and grab a guy like Mims, Jefferson, Reagor or Aiyuk in the 2nd or snag Jeudy/Lamb in Round 1 while continuing to overhaul the OL afterwards.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Former 1st round pick of the Skins out of TCU.  Worth taking a flyer on him.

If by Week 1 Doctson is in the mix for WR5 that's probably a good sign.  Jamison Crowder, Emmanuel Sanders, Brandon Aiyuk as starters with a group of Michael Pittman, Enunwa, Vyncint Smith, Doctson, Berrios competing for 2 or 3 more spots?  Sign me up!

• Upvote 1

Great move.  First round pedigree/ measurables, 3 yrs in the NFL, no arrests/infractions, and he cost nothing. 
if he sucks we cut him, nothing lost. 

For those poo-pooers, check out our last four WR transactions:

J. Smith 

K. Hatcher

J. Malone

J. Chesson

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Catching a lot of deep slants from Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins.  Looks like Cousins wanted him in Minn, not sure why he didn't play.

SAR I

He got beat out for the #3 gig by a rookie, I think. Still, he’s a solid addition for us. Doesn’t solve all the problems, but at least he’s capable of being part of the corps.

• Upvote 1

qfhx4svik7hldpb9mspw.jpg

The signing of Josh Doctson won’t turn many heads any time soon among the Jets faithful, but the move is a good one by GM Joe Douglas as his team prepares to enter the offseason with just one other veteran receiver on the roster in Jamison Crowder.  With Robby Anderson likely to bolt as a free agent along with Demaryius Thomas, the Jets needed some veteran depth.

Doctson won’t even be a lock to make the roster, and counting on him to be any more than a fourth receiver might be a bit much, but as a complementary piece, his addition isn’t a bad move.

We’ve signed WR Josh Doctson.

? https://t.co/7cMkN43Z6T pic.twitter.com/G9n60aqgeh

— New York Jets (@nyjets) February 22, 2020

The former first-round pick out of TCU isn’t a burner, but he does a nice job pulling down contested passes and put up 1,032 yards over the course of the 2017/2018 seasons with the Washington Redskins.  His best year came in 2018 when he hauled in 44 balls for 532 yards and a pair of touchdowns.  His career high in touchdowns came the previous season when he had six scores.

Doctson signed on with the Minnesota Vikings after being let go by the ‘Skins but appeared in just one game before spending time on IR prior to being released in November.

Here we see Doctson work along the back of the end zone to find a soft spot to get open. Makes the TD grab and holds on with immediate hit. pic.twitter.com/FVhY8dHJXq

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) February 22, 2020

Given the amount of depth at the wide receiver position in the upcoming NFL draft, Doctson could find himself in a dog fight to stick with the Jets, but at just 28-years-old, the Jets may view Doctson as a reclamation project who they can work with, while also giving them a player who knows the ins and outs of being an NFL receiver.

The post Doctson Signing Gives Jets Much-Needed vet Pass Catcher appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jQwi78ai4gM

Click here to read the full story...

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If by Week 1 Doctson is in the mix for WR5 that's probably a good sign.  Jamison Crowder, Emmanuel Sanders, Brandon Aiyuk as starters with a group of Michael Pittman, Enunwa, Vyncint Smith, Doctson, Berrios competing for 2 or 3 more spots?  Sign me up!

No one named Aiyuk will ever be successful at football.