Jets sign Josh Doctson

Lith

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Fair point.  But with Doctson, we are not giving up anything.  If he sucks in camp, we cut him with minimal cap hit (assuming contract is close to vet minimum).  Jeffery is coming off surgery in December, best years are behind him and he is guaranteed $9.9 mil.  If I am going to roll the dice on someone, give the cheap guy I can cut with no impact if necessary.

Bottom line is we need to do a lot more than Doctson &/or Jeffrey this offseason.

We can agree on that, my friend. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s exactly what I thought. We will see what happens in the next few weeks. It’s going to be a fun offseason and I hope we get a bunch of value free agents after the first few days. No splashes, even with the OL needs. Get value and volume of solid players. 

I think all this signing says is that sometimes you have to hope you get lucky with a reclamation project.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MS jets Fan said:

He played with Crowder so I'm sure he had some input.   Worth the risk very low down side.   Robbie is gone for sure that's the reality.   Plenty of WR's in the draft and still have Vincyth Smith with some upside and a special teamer.   The next decision will be what to do with Quincy.   

Sorry but I don't think crowder had any input.

But v Smith is going to make the squad and this guy probably won't.

Possession receiver who can still kick it in the afterburners. Younger, better version of D.Thomas. That's really who we are replacing, Thomas. And its an upgrade if he can stay healthy.

Still need to draft a #1 type WR early. I don't expect the Jets to get a 'replacement' for Robby this year. They will get a couple of nice prospects in the draft and give on one or two FAs/UDFAs/depth players (Vyncent Smith) a shot to contribute. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Possession receiver who can still kick it in the afterburners. Younger, better version of D.Thomas. That's really who we are replacing, Thomas. And its an upgrade if he can stay healthy.

Still need to draft a #1 type WR early. I don't expect the Jets to get a 'replacement' for Robby this year. They will get a couple of nice prospects in the draft and give on one or two FAs/UDFAs/depth players (Vyncent Smith) a shot to contribute. 

that's a big "if".  Huge.

This is a great move. The guy has potential. As a number one pick he was dominant in college.

He went in IR his rookie season, had two 500 yd seasons and an injured 2019. He costs no additional capital and if he blows balls or gets banged up we cut him.

But the risk/reward is unbelievable.

This is a good first “reall” FA move for our bald GM in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Sam desperately needs an accomplished young veteran WR: Amari Cooper

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Hopefully Doctson sees this as his last chance to make it in the NFL and devotes himself to working as hard as he can - starting tomorrow. Lift, run, eat right and no partying. Coming into camp in his best shape possible.

Josh just read your post and decided to retire.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Possession receiver?? His catch percentage is awful. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lith said:

To keep this in perspective, he is a young kid with upside.  He will be given a chance to make the roster.  Maybe a replacement for DT.  If he makes the roster and gives us anything more than Thomas did last year it is a bonus.

Seriously. All the “this signing means the Jets aren’t going to” stuff is purely imaginary. As of today he’s camp fodder or a WR5. He’s been 100% healthy and available as a FA since Minnesota waived him in late November, and no one - including the Jets - wanted him as even a WR4 or WR5 to mop up the season (and get first dibs on him for 2020 if he showed them something).

It’s desperation on Doctson’s part to sign with the Jets now, for fear of no one signing him when desirable FAs are available & signed in a few weeks, and risk still being a FA heading into the draft (or have to accept a depth tryout on a team that isn’t so WR-needy). At least this way he’s penciled in to be on a roster to start camp with a fighting chance at earning a starting spot (in particular since the Jets are so thin at the position heading into FA).

But what this signing is not is the Jets already penciling him in as the WR2 or even the WR3 for the season. This signing isn’t stopping the Jets from signing, re-signing, drafting, or trading for anybody else in March-April 2020. It’s purely a low risk high reward tryout, and nothing more. He may not even make the roster FFS. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

20 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Hope he can stay healthy.

He was healthy well before he returned from IR. I don’t know exactly what happened out there, but he practiced on his hammy a little bit in early Sept on a Tuesday and they IR’d him the next day, which is what teams do when they’re stashing a player but don’t want to use up a roster spot on him right away. In early November he claimed himself that he was 100% (and it’s quite possible he was 100% weeks before that, but was ineligible to return until 8 weeks after the IR designation date). A few weeks later they cut him.

His problem (in terms of sticking on the roster for us) may be that he doesn’t present any dual-value on special teams. It’s hard to imagine he doesn’t have the tools to play on specials, so it could suggest he’s dumb AF or not a team player. 

Cousins surely had some influence on the Vikings picking him up in September after no one put in a waiver claim, but it’s not a good sign that they cut him while his cost was so low and also while Thielen was still sidelined with his own 2nd-half hammy injury. They must really think Doctson sucks something awful, or that he’s a total tool. Hopefully we get lucky, like maybe he had the talent all along but just needed to put in more work than he did before (like he expected it to just happen as a 1st rounder believing his own hype or something). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, PepPep said:

Thomas was traded from the WR needy Patriots for God sakes. Let's make the Jets WR core great again! We just upgraded our #4 wideout. 

Now let's hope Ceedee Lamb & Michael Pittman follow! It was fun being a Jet fan in the Walker, Toon, Shuler, McNeil years. Let's start showing up on the NFL Redzone channel regularly! 

Lets put together an offense that fans outside of NY & the AFC East are curious about in a Primetime game. We're Jet fans, can you imagine the utter disgust when other NFL fans see NY Jets vs New England Patriots on the SNF or MNF schedule? Surround Sam with explosive offensive players so at least our team will be INTERESTING. 

If I wasn't a Jet fan, and witnessed last years PRIMETIME debacle vs the Patriots, I'd have a hard time being convinced to stay up late to watch any game the Jets are involved in. Sad but true. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

45 and 56 the next two seasons. At least he improved each year but they still need to draft a second day WR. 

Absolutely.  Doctson is a low risk, long shot signing.  He will be given a chance to make the team.  Nothing more.  Maybe he figures it our and can be part of the WR rotation.  Or maybe he cuts cut during camp.

He does not change our need to draft &/or sign WRs.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1