Ngakou asking for $22M/yr

With them not picking up Dareus's and Ryan's options, they are looking to free up money.

But if he shakes free, I could already hear the Brinks tuck backing up over here in Pennsylvania:

From Rotoworld.

ESPN's Mike DiRocco reports free agent DE Yannick Ngakoue is asking for $22 million annually.

That would make Ngakoue the highest paid defensive end, topping the $21 million AAV Demarcus Lawrence got from Dallas last offseason. While his sack totals have been in decline, Ngakoue has been one of the most consistent pass rushers in the league over his first four years (37.5 sacks) and is only entering his age-25 season. The Jags are likely going to franchise Ngakoue to buy some time in long-term talks, but a deal should eventually get done.

This is a disturbing development. We've been trying to figure out a way the Jets can rebuild this franchise through FA and the draft the last few weeks....

Now it turns out these FA's might want to get paid at, or above market value?

WTF???? This doesn't seem to bode well for our Conklin, Scherff dreams. There's probably a good chance they're going to want to get paid also. :dohslap:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

ive been saying consistently for some time, the only way for us to get a star pass rusher is through the draft with the way the money lines up. If we sign someone like that, it is at the expense of signing 3 or 4 other mid tier players that would help the team. I do not see us being in the running for a single top tier player at any position in free agency. I expect the jets to target 2nd tier starting level players with potential and then supplement with draft picks to compete. On the line i could see quenton spain, graham glasgow, connor mcgovern, bj penny, haloti vaitai. I could see us signing two of these guys for the cost of one of the top tier guys like conklin, thuney or sherref. Edge wise, i think kyle phillips and tarrel basham make a solid platoon as starters on one side. On the other side I am very interested in kamali correa from the titans. Good production per snaps, and will not be able to command top dollar, might even be cheaper than jenkins. I don't hate jordan jenkins, but I would only resign him if he takes a team friendly deal, like 6 or 7 mil per year. 

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the smart move is to not have dreams in the first place 

Smart Think About It GIF by Friends

LOL, yep, I hear you. At least in relation to things like this.

If I'm one of these top or even mid tier FAs, I have only two goals in mind.

1. Get paid as much money as I can, in as short a period of time in my second contract. I don't care where I have to go...

2. GTFO out of football at the end of that contract, and hoping/making as sure as I can, that my body, and brain have made it through that second term.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m confident the great Jets organization will be able to attract free agents at below market value. It is truly an honor and a privilege to play for this team. 

Sadly, many seem to actually believe this.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sadly, many seem to actually believe this.

But seriously, you don’t pay for premium positions or superstars in FA. The costs are astronomical. You spend your money on VALUE free agents to build a solid/deep team. You have to draft well to make stars of your own or to fill holes at expensive positions (like edge rusher) that you can’t afford in FA. Jordan Jenkins will probably get $15 mil/per and that’s insane to even think about.

It’s hard to dig out of a hole when your roster has been mismanaged as poorly as it has. Joe Douglas needs to realize that we are not in “win now” mode and to start building the right way with an emphasis on OL/offense so we find out what he have in Sam. Then, blow our cap on locking him up if he proves himself and just build around him with value minded roster moves. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

But seriously, you don’t pay for premium positions or superstars in FA. The costs are astronomical. You spend your money on VALUE free agents to build a solid/deep team. You have to draft well to make stars of your own or to fill holes at expensive positions (like edge rusher) that you can’t afford in FA. Jordan Jenkins will probably get $15 mil/per and that’s insane to even think about.

It’s hard to dig out of a hole when your roster has been mismanaged as poorly as it has. Joe Douglas needs to realize that we are not in “win now” mode and to start building the right way with an emphasis on OL/offense so we find out what he have in Sam. Then, blow our cap on locking him up if he proves himself and just build around him with value minded roster moves. 

Not in win now mode? Cue @SAR I

Just now, jgb said:

Not in win now mode? Cue @SAR I

I only say this because I don’t think trying to have a “win now” mode with roster management, will help us get out of the huge hole that we are in. We have to bite the bullet a bit but make up for it by overinvesting in the offense but with a value approach. No splurging at all. Try to trade down as much as possible and DRAFT WELL. It’s our only shot, especially considering we will hopefully have a Darnold contract to deal with if he is a FQB, which we all hope for. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I only say this because I don’t think trying to have a “win now” mode with roster management, will help us get out of the huge hole that we are in. We have to bite the bullet a bit but make up for it by overinvesting in the offense but with a value approach. No splurging at all. Try to trade down as much as possible and DRAFT WELL. It’s our only shot, especially considering we will hopefully have a Darnold contract to deal with if he is a FQB, which we all hope for. 

“Draft well.” So simple ? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

“Draft well.” So simple ? 

It is if you have realistic expectations and prioritize premium positions with top picks. He doesn’t have to hit on every pick but even 50% would be an incredible boost to this team after a decade of 90% missed and prioritizing the WRONG positions. We will see and I hope Douglas does well here. We are due for some good luck. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

WTF???? This doesn't seem to bode well for our Conklin, Scherff dreams. There's probably a good chance they're going to want to get paid also. :dohslap:

I think I’d throw the entire salary cap at both (or Thuney). OL I don’t mind being robbed for lmao.

22 mill is a bit too rich for my blood at Edge though. Re-sign Jenkins, find the next best fit and draft one if you like one.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Prez at $17 mill is now a bargain?

They'd better sign him quick.  He's going to want more once Ngakoue gets $22M per.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's going to get it.  Because pass rushers have value, even if its only perceived value. 

And its why we should have taken Josh Allen over QW.  Even if Allen didn't end up great, some sucker might have traded us a nice package of picks for him down the road.  

Um...   didn't some sucker already offer us a nice package of picks for Quinnen Williams?  Your boy Douglas said he was untouchable. 

Sources: Jets rebuffed team's repeated trade inquiries on rookie Quinnen Williams

Leading up to this past Tuesday's trade deadline, the New York Jets listened to offers for running back Le'Veon Bell and safety Jamal Adams.But arguably the most surprising Jet who drew interest in recent weeks was none other than the fi st-round draft pick, Quinnen Williams, sources told ESPN.
At least one team kept coming at the Jets, refusing to take no for an answer and offering a blockbuster package of picks that it thought New York could not turn down, according to source
But no matter how many times that team and others called, New York refused to budge on Williams.

56 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think I’d throw the entire salary cap at both (or Thuney). OL I don’t mind being robbed for lmao.

22 mill is a bit too rich for my blood at Edge though. Re-sign Jenkins, find the next best fit and draft one if you like one.

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'm with you on the OL thing 100%

If we could get two of those guys, blowing the whole wad? Do it, pack up and move on to the draft.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Um...   didn't some sucker already offer us a nice package of picks for Quinnen Williams?  Your boy Douglas said he was untouchable. 

None of that made any sense.  The Quinnen Williams pick was one of the exact triggers that paved the way for Gase to bring Douglas in in the first place.  Depending on what was being offered and the cap penalties involved, a trade should have 100 % been on the table.

Contrary to popular opinion, Douglas is not "my boy", especially if he pays Jamal Adams.  He's simply the only hope we have because if he fails, then the Johnson's directly make the hire all over again, and nothing good happens until they sell the team or die.  

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm with you on the OL thing 100%

If we could get two of those guys, blowing the whole wad, do it, pack up and move on.

Exactly! That’s the main issue with this offense at the moment. Fix that in FA and you are on the fast track to a nice offseason. The key is to improve. OL having two new studs is a huge win for NYJ.

27 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Oh, yea. You draft players who outperform their rookie contracts, and then tell them to get lost, because we don't want to spend the money to keep them. Good way to build a winner.

• Upvote 1