Ngakou asking for $22M/yr

chrisfaceoff

6 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

But this is the exact draft to do that though. You want to grab extra WR's in a strong WR class. The same applies for the o linemen this year. This is exactly the year to dive deep into WR's and o linemen. I get what you're saying, and I prefer to keep RA but the argument can be made that this is probably the best year to let RA walk. At least as far as the ability to replace him. 

Like last year with T Jonah Williams. He was the best T of a weak class. There were many saying he would have possibly been a second rd pick this draft.  So timing could be in our favor here. 

And it will all come crashing down when JD takes a linebacker with #11   lol

If we resign Robby, we still need to use a top round pick on a WR. If we don't resign Robby, that's one less pick that we could use on an edge rusher, cornerback, o-lineman, plus having to settle on an inferior player, who's past his prime, or pray we get lucky, and these players who busted elsewhere, finally figure it out. Not to mention, that any WR, any team drafts this year, could bust.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

But seriously, you don’t pay for premium positions or superstars in FA. The costs are astronomical. You spend your money on VALUE free agents to build a solid/deep team. You have to draft well to make stars of your own or to fill holes at expensive positions (like edge rusher) that you can’t afford in FA. Jordan Jenkins will probably get $15 mil/per and that’s insane to even think about.

It’s hard to dig out of a hole when your roster has been mismanaged as poorly as it has. Joe Douglas needs to realize that we are not in “win now” mode and to start building the right way with an emphasis on OL/offense so we find out what he have in Sam. Then, blow our cap on locking him up if he proves himself and just build around him with value minded roster moves. 

Jets can win with just solid defenders, we did it last year losing Mosely, Williamson, musical chair CBs, Just go f*cking HOG WILD with offensive players in this upcoming draft! Lets hope we can move back, hell, for 22 million we can definitely pay 2 Olineman. Maybe we can move back a bit, have a Jones, 2 WRs, a stud RB, CB, Edge draft. I don't see us in top tier FA market. MAYBE one Olineman/ and a 2nd tier guy, resign Lewis, reup Beachum for one year. Let the crazy free agent frenzy happen without us for the most part. Everyone was touting the bears for their trade to get Mack, how did that work out? We got the QB, DRAFT O & more O! Our defense is already OK. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, genot said:

Everybody here has to be prepared for us, not only losing Anderson, but Jenkins, and Poole also. Did Douglas even attempt to re-sign any of them before the season ended? I would love to have the correct answer to that question.

I think to make you happy, that Douglas should just resign all our free agents and just concentrate on the draft. It seems you want to remain status quo, because these players have made the team so successful. Maybe then we could possibly hear something positive from you?

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

I think to make you happy, that Douglas should just resign all our free agents and just concentrate on the draft. It seems you want to remain status quo, because these players have made the team so successful. Maybe then we could possibly hear something positive from you?

giphy.gif

I'm very positive about this team. We're perfectly positioned to fill almost all of our serious needs in this draft. O-line, WR, edge rusher. However, If we lose good players to free agency, because we think we can get players on the cheap, just as good. That concerns me. It should concern you too. We should resign Poole, Anderson, Jenkins, and Beachum. They can help us win football games. That's what we all want, right????

Any player demanding that kind of money is just another Muhammad Wilkerson. He will get the money and become a fat cat playing out the string. It takes a special player to play even better on their second contract and this special player wouldn’t be demanding incredible amounts of money. Beware!

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:45 PM, genot said:

If we resign Robby, we still need to use a top round pick on a WR. If we don't resign Robby, that's one less pick that we could use on an edge rusher, cornerback, o-lineman, plus having to settle on an inferior player, who's past his prime, or pray we get lucky, and these players who busted elsewhere, finally figure it out. Not to mention, that any WR, any team drafts this year, could bust.

I really can't understand the mindset of Jets fans who want to go all in on the draft. What team have they been watching over the years? I guess, as they say, hope springs eternal.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 1:04 PM, chrisfaceoff said:

With them not picking up Dareus's and Ryan's options, they are looking to free up money.

But if he shakes free, I could already hear the Brinks tuck backing up over here in Pennsylvania:

From Rotoworld.

ESPN's Mike DiRocco reports free agent DE Yannick Ngakoue is asking for $22 million annually.

That would make Ngakoue the highest paid defensive end, topping the $21 million AAV Demarcus Lawrence got from Dallas last offseason. While his sack totals have been in decline, Ngakoue has been one of the most consistent pass rushers in the league over his first four years (37.5 sacks) and is only entering his age-25 season. The Jags are likely going to franchise Ngakoue to buy some time in long-term talks, but a deal should eventually get done.

who?

On 2/25/2020 at 6:59 AM, Nixhead said:

Any player demanding that kind of money is just another Muhammad Wilkerson. He will get the money and become a fat cat playing out the string. It takes a special player to play even better on their second contract and this special player wouldn’t be demanding incredible amounts of money. Beware!

Huh?

On 2/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

@Creepy Lurker and I posted the same thing 30 seconds apart. My post was longer, though. Read into that however you must. 

But really I'm still not really seeing the value there. Is he really going to be a better QB in year 3 (or over his career) because of 9 more games with the deep route running Anderson, while dropping back behind a clearly below average line? 

He'll either be a good QB or he won't be a good QB. He won't be one or the other because of another half season of Anderson in a lost season.

So the fans don't count?  What about the value of watching our team play well thanks in part to Robbie?  I'm all for keeping an eye out for the future but the (then) present counts too.  I enjoyed the 2nd half of last season.....that is more than I can say for the prior few seasons.  

On 2/24/2020 at 2:02 PM, jgb said:

Sadly, many seem to actually believe this.

Seriously who believes this or even says it?

Every fanbase has their loony group may but really do those couple of fans even matter

Edited by Jet Nut

6 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

So the fans don't count?  What about the value of watching our team play well thanks in part to Robbie?  I'm all for keeping an eye out for the future but the (then) present counts too.  I enjoyed the 2nd half of last season.....that is more than I can say for the prior few seasons.  

No, honestly like it or not they don’t. Not to a first year GM, with 5 more years of guaranteed time coming to him, about to enter his first offseason, while his team is currently 1-6, where he’d be absolved for the entire current season, for a player he’d then made no serious efforts to extend. A GM is not a fan. 

Not to pretty much any other GM either, otherwise every year there’d be lots of eliminated teams denying themselves mid-round picks for players with expiring contracts.

Gettleman trading for Leonard Williams was very much the exception (and arugably should have gotten him fired for doing it). Typically only contenders are willing to part with upcoming draft picks for a player with an expiring contract. Either that, or a team acquiring someone deemed a unique talent you generally cannot get in free agency (e.g. Dallas trading for Cooper, but they were 3-4 and still in the hunt when that deal went down). Anderson doesn’t qualify as such a player.

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2020 at 4:45 PM, genot said:

Liked Robby but have no problem replacing him with Breshad Perriman for way cheaper. 25 lbs heavier and runs a 4.2 compared to Robby's 4.3. Dude was on fire the last few games. Then you target WR in the top of the 2nd.

As for Ngakoue, yes I would absolutely pay him. I don't think he'd choose us so I think we ultimately look at Judon, Fowler, and Quinn for cheaper alternatives but if we can somehow get Ngakoue I'd make the move. At 25 he is just about to hit his prime.

FA - Cap Space $75m

- Resign Poole back ~$8m

- Resign Jenkins, if he want too much let him walk. Too many decent Edge guys to over pay for Jenkins IMO. Figure he or his replacement could be had for about $8m

- Resign Beachum or target 1 year deal with Jason Peters who played like a top 10 LT last year. No guarantee we have a LT there at #11. ~$10m. If you feel confident you'll get your starting LT at #11 then maybe you save the cap space here and just roll with that, I just don't want to force ourselves to go OL in the first if we really only like say 2 guys that could be gone.

- Bring back Alex Lewis on a cheap price it deal $3m

- Sign a Guard in FA Thuney/Glasgow. I prefer Glasgow just cause he's cheaper and has played Center in the NFL as well so it sorta helps in case we fall apart again. $11-14m

- Edoga sounds like he's being slated as our starting RT like it or not

- Breshad Perriman $8m he made $4m on a one year deal this past year but I think a team may offer him more because of how he ended the season. You can adjust how you want.

That would put us at $24m in cap space but $8m will be needed for the draft class. If we do have a shot at Ngakoue I think I'd probably just let Jenkins walk but if it were this scenario is look at Quinn or Fowler for a year and hopefully add a body through the draft ideally around the 3rd round. 

On 2/24/2020 at 4:47 PM, Jetster said:

Jets can win with just solid defenders, we did it last year losing Mosely, Williamson, musical chair CBs, Just go f*cking HOG WILD with offensive players in this upcoming draft! Lets hope we can move back, hell, for 22 million we can definitely pay 2 Olineman. Maybe we can move back a bit, have a Jones, 2 WRs, a stud RB, CB, Edge draft. I don't see us in top tier FA market. MAYBE one Olineman/ and a 2nd tier guy, resign Lewis, reup Beachum for one year. Let the crazy free agent frenzy happen without us for the most part. Everyone was touting the bears for their trade to get Mack, how did that work out? We got the QB, DRAFT O & more O! Our defense is already OK. 

Now there's a strategy!  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Seriously who believes this or even says it?

Every fanbase has their loony group may but really do those couple of fans even matter

Many react like someone who just found out their ex is dating someone else when players sometimes play hardball with the Jets. And respond with “well screw him, then!” as if only Jets players shouldn’t treat this as a business.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Now there's a strategy!  

I'm serious. I'm talking an Olineman, 2 WRs like Mims & Pittman?, and a RB like Dobbs or Hellaire. Give Sam & Gase enough weapons to do what Adam wanted to do last year which is be aggressive. Unfortunately Sam got sick, the Oline had 11 changes & they had to rewrite the playbook so Sam didn't get killed! 

Trade a 7th for Alshon Jeffery, try to sign 3 Olineman if you can in free agency. We had one of the highest paid Olines in the NFL last year but it sucked! Design contracts that take advantage of next years cap saving by cutting Trumaine Johnson & getting rid of Bell. 

1st round pick should be determined by how we do in free agency with Olineman. If we do well? Draft Ceedee Lamb at #1, if not grab a LT & go WR in the 2nd. Either way I'm fine but JD knows experience counts on the Oline. You can't go into 2020 with a bunch of inexperienced guys trying to protect Sam. I want a Ceedee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy WITH Alshon Jeffery & another WR in the 3rd like Michael Pittman! I also want a backup RB like Dobbs, Taylor, Hellaire, whoever Gase/JD think fits are scheme to backup Bell. 

Every freaking offensive set should be filled with dangerous offensive skill players, similar to what the Chiefs have done. Ceedee, Jeffery, Crowder, Herndon, Bell. Backups, Pittman, Smyth, Berrios, Griffin, Hellaire or Dobbs. 

Just a constant avalanche of guys pushing the ball, attacking weaknesses in defenses, going for 4th & ones, 3/4 large guys in on Redzone plays, 3 TE sets, just flat out versatile in every facet of offensive football! 

5 wide with Bell lining up outside & Lamb & Crowder sitting in the slot positions. There just aren't a lot of GREAT DEFENSES in the NFL anymore to slow down a sh*t ton of offensive weaponry. 

Spread them out & Sam will always have a path to run! Sam was killing it with his quick releases when he got healthy (of course a bad Oline & wanting to live had something to do without it) but he got a lot of practice getting the ball out quickly. 

Watch him get comfortable with a full arsenal next year. When he hits his confidence stride watch out! 

There are contracts and there are contracts.

Bad contracts are Trumaine’s and, given his history, Enunwa’s 

If a player can stink for 2 years after getting paid and you still can’t cut him, that is a problem.  

You have to hope that a relatively young player wants to keep playing to make money.   If there is ever a point where a player loses their motivation to get another contract, the team is cooked.  The player will not play.  

So if I was a GM, I would pay top dollar for talent, and/or pay generous incentive bonuses, but I am minimizing my dead money.

So right now the Jets can’t move Bell if they wanted to, will save $3mm on the cap but are eating $12mm in year 3 Of Trumaine’s contract (what a terrible deal that was) and, for a player with a prior neck injury, are stuck with Enunwa this year and likely next.   The Winters’ contract was genius compared to these.

So, for Yannick, let’s say he wants a 5 year/$110mm contract.   I would guarantee him $22mm this year, $12mm next year with a $22mm salary, and drop the salary $2mm a year with $4mm of playing time/sack/playoff bonuses.  So basically, if he dogs it in 2020 the Jets can cut him in 2021 for the same cost as Trumaine (unlikely to happen) and have him under contract in the future with incentives for everyone to do well.  

Ok, maybe the contract needs to be a bit more.  But when you give someone risking their mind and body and incentive to just dog it, they will dog it.  I don’t really blame them.  

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Many react like someone who just found out their ex is dating someone else when players sometimes play hardball with the Jets. And respond with “well screw him, then!” as if only Jets players shouldn’t treat this as a business.

Yeah, i must don't see it that way.