Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

The only argument I make with this is you know what you have in Adams right now.  I understand the "not a valuable position" argument etc.

But lets pretend if we got a first and whatever for him.

What if we going into this draft  Josh Doctson, and Greg Robinson came out in the same draft.  We could be excited we got 2 premiere talents, but ultimately are almost instant regrets. 

On the other side(but doubtful) we could nail both picks and be set.

its all a crapshoot.

Yes, every decision is to some degree a "crapshoot", but most have somewhat known odds attached.

We know what we have with our all-pro strong safety leading our team and defense.  We've seen that real world reality the past few years.  

We do not know, for sure, what we will get with a trade that nets us a #1 and #3 pick for Adams.  The picks would have to be made by our new GM, and each evaluated independently and as a whole in re: team building.

Every decision is about risk vs. reward.

We could sign Adams to a new long term deal tomorrow, and he could get hurt badly week 1 and never play again.  

We could sign Adams to a big new contract, and he could follow almost all our previous defenders who got big dollar contracts.....and he could disapear.

We could trade him, and draft busts.

We could trade him, and draft defense instead of offense.

We could trade him and draft four all-pro offensive players, 2 on O-line and 2 at WR, setting the stage for a Jets dominated AFC for a decade.

None of us know how EITHER decision will work out, both have risks, both have rewards.  

As we often say when discussing QB's, especially Jets QB's, what is the "upside".  The higher "ceiling"?

I've seen Adams ceiling.  It was 2019.  He is not likely to be or get more productive than he was then.  He played, and played well, in every game of our 1-7 start.  He didn't change the trajectory of the team in that period despite his all-pro level of play.

The upside of a trade-Adams is a completely new, rebuild Offense surrounding Sam with talent, allowing him to blossom into the all-pro QB some here think he is if supported, and setting our offense in a top-10 trajectory for at least 5 years.

Personally, I am sick to death of the focus on Defense.  As demonstrated elsewhere, for the past 30 years we are amongst the very worst int he NFL on the offensive side of the ball.  We suck at offense, and as a consequence, have generally sucked at winning (with brief exceptions).

For once I want to see our Defense sacrificed to build our offense up.  For once I want to see the same concerted effort that has gone into the Jets D for 30 years instead be put into our offense.  It's a risk I am 100% willing to take.  If it fails, ok, what have we lost?  A Safety?  A Safety who has thus far played for a horrible Jets team and not changed that?

Adams alone cannot change this team or make it win.

Drafting Offense, specificly O-line and WR for Sam, has the potential, the UPSIDE, to change the course of the future of this franchise.

I take the risk.  

Staying the course out of fear only serves to guarantee we stay as we have been.  Also rans who suck at offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yes, every decision is to some degree a "crapshoot", but most have somewhat known odds attached.

We know what we have with our all-pro strong safety leading our team and defense.  We've seen that real world reality the past few years.  

We do not know, for sure, what we will get with a trade that nets us a #1 and #3 pick for Adams.  The picks would have to be made by our new GM, and each evaluated independently and as a whole in re: team building.

Every decision is about risk vs. reward.

We could sign Adams to a new long term deal tomorrow, and he could get hurt badly week 1 and never play again.  

We could sign Adams to a big new contract, and he could follow almost all our previous defenders who got big dollar contracts.....and he could disapear.

We could trade him, and draft busts.

We could trade him, and draft defense instead of offense.

We could trade him and draft four all-pro offensive players, 2 on O-line and 2 at WR, setting the stage for a Jets dominated AFC for a decade.

None of us know how EITHER decision will work out, both have risks, both have rewards.  

As we often say when discussing QB's, especially Jets QB's, what is the "upside".  The higher "ceiling"?

I've seen Adams ceiling.  It was 2019.  He is not likely to be or get more productive than he was then.  He played, and played well, in every game of our 1-7 start.  He didn't change the trajectory of the team in that period despite his all-pro level of play.

The upside of a trade-Adams is a completely new, rebuild Offense surrounding Sam with talent, allowing him to blossom into the all-pro QB some here think he is if supported, and setting our offense in a top-10 trajectory for at least 5 years.

Personally, I am sick to death of the focus on Defense.  As demonstrated elsewhere, for the past 30 years we are amongst the very worst int he NFL on the offensive side of the ball.  We suck at offense, and as a consequence, have generally sucked at winning (with brief exceptions).

For once I want to see our Defense sacrificed to build our offense up.  For once I want to see the same concerted effort that has gone into the Jets D for 30 years instead be put into our offense.  It's a risk I am 100% willing to take.  If it fails, ok, what have we lost?  A Safety?  A Safety who has thus far played for a horrible Jets team and not changed that?

Adams alone cannot change this team or make it win.

Drafting Offense, specificly O-line and WR for Sam, has the potential, the UPSIDE, to change the course of the future of this franchise.

I take the risk.  

Staying the course out of fear only serves to guarantee we stay as we have been.  Also rans who suck at offense.

Well Done Clapping GIF by moodman

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

I get your thinking, but you and everybody who wants to trade Adams for a mid to late first round pick need to consider the possibility that we could be trading an All Pro for a possible bust or mediocrity.  If we get a first round pick and draft a guard is that position more highly valued than a game changing safety?  No draft pick is guaranteed and there are many busts at WR and O line.   

The old bird in the hand saying applies here.

The bird in the hand played almost every snap of our 1-7 start.  Sam, not Adams, was the driving force behind out 6-2 finish.

Yes, I'm willing to risk a player that even when playing lights out all-pro level......could in no way shape or form effect our 1-7 start and was not overly necessary in our improved 6-2 finish.

Life is all about risk vs. reward and choices.  I would choose to risk the loss of an all-pro Strong Safety for the chance to add picks to what we have, and rebuild our offense for Sam with at least three O-linemen and two WR's.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Thats cool, but if you didn't finish the conversation with "Don't **** up" on behlaf of all of us, then you should be suspended and forced to sit in the corner until you realized the severity of the situation.

Trust me I wanted to lol. 

I deal with sports executives a fair deal when they are in town, and I promise you these guys do not like talking about their jobs with non NFL people. 

I had lunch today with one of the Packers coaches at a local dive restaurant and dude didnt speak one word of football. I respect that they dont want to be bugged about it.

• Upvote 2

I just don't see how a team that needs like 8 new starters on offense can justify giving a strong safety the kind of money he's going to demand. We spend a 1st and 3- 2nd round picks for a QB and then give him absolutely no help while we repeatedly invest in the defense I just don't get it

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Much like how 90% of the people in this world that wear a crucifix should be the last people in the world wearing a crucifix.

As if there’s not enough hate in this world that they have to criticize a black man for wearing the Star of David. It’s a sign of spirituality so thumbs up to him for wearing it. 

• Upvote 3

The bird in the hand played almost every snap of our 1-7 start.  Sam, not Adams, was the driving force behind out 6-2 finish.

Yes, I'm willing to risk a player that even when playing lights out all-pro level......could in no way shape or form effect our 1-7 start and was not overly necessary in our improved 6-2 finish.

Life is all about risk vs. reward and choices.  I would choose to risk the loss of an all-pro Strong Safety for the chance to add picks to what we have, and rebuild our offense for Sam with at least three O-linemen and two WR's.

Adams is one of the few things I disagree with you about around here.

I think you're mistaken about "the driving force" behind our 6-2 finish. Of course any QB plays a role in a teams W-L record, but I think the two biggest driving forces in our finish last season were

A. a really weak schedule

B. the Defense

Since we're not going to have that same weak schedule in '20, I think keeping the strongest component of B (the defense) is a smart thing to do.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm a big Jamal fan.

I know it's a crazy notion, but I just think having really good players on the team I root for is a good thing. I guess I'm just weird like that....

Have the best and put all your resources into ILBs, safeties and DTs and you get the jets a 4 to 7 win team every years.

I am a Jet fan and I want to win and make the playoffs.  I also feel the positions i listed above have the least value in making you win in  this league.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

As if there’s not enough hate in this world that they have to criticize a black man for wearing the Star of David. It’s a sign of spirituality so thumbs up to him for wearing it. 

There is a concept you might want to more broadly familiarize yourself with:  cultural appropriation.

As an aside, it something many black men (and women) themselves have expressed serious concern and objection about.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Trust me I wanted to lol. 

I deal with sports executives a fair deal when they are in town, and I promise you these guys do not like talking about their jobs with non NFL people. 

I had lunch today with one of the Packers coaches at a local dive restaurant and dude didnt speak one word of football. I respect that they dont want to be bugged about it.

Oh I could only imagine.  I'm sure if they felt you could talk in depth on the subject they would be a bit more receptive, but most times they are only going to hear form the fan that might know who 5 players-tops, on the team outside of a QB or skill position player.

Just like anything else, anyone who is out to lunch or away form their job doesn't want to talk about their job, and just enjoy life.  I work with computers, and its frustrating with someone asks for computer help after I had already logged 8-10 hours of work for the day.

Props to you for recognizing that and not being annoying, just like you, myself, or most others would want to be with a rep from our favorite team.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sam playing better was a factor no doubt.  But the defense really gelled in the second half of the year too.  Adams had 6 sacks and was a disruptive force.   Cant totally dismiss that as much as youd like to.  I m glad you understand risk vs reward and acknowledge that there is risk to your plan.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is a concept you might want to more broadly familiarize yourself with:  cultural appropriation.

As an aside, it something many black men (and women) themselves have expressed serious concern and objection about.

Like political correctness: yea ok

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think keeping the strongest component of B (the defense) is a smart thing to do.

So what is it you're afriad of then?  What bad thing do you fear that moving Adams will cause?

Will we start 1-7 next year without him?  Or, oh no.....will we start 0-8?

Why do you presume the O-Lineman we might select, with a 1st from Adams, or a #2 WR we might select with a 3rd rounder from Adams, will be sure-fire busts?  Why do you have trouble believing that we might draft a decent O-lineman or a decent WR, players who will have meaningful impact on our offensive performance, in a draft heavy on O-line and WR talent?

Sure, if you think Adams is the best defender in the NFL and building our Defense the only route to success......I could see being utterly unwilling to even contemplate moving him.  

Is that your view?  That the Jets cannot win without Jamal Adams being a Jet?

I mean really, what is the worst case?  We draft all busts and our Defense is ranked 18th instead of 15th?  

And why can you not even contemplate a best case to compare against it?

EDIT:  Well, seems this is all moot if Douglas indeed said he wants to make Adams "a Jet for life".

Such is life.  Apparently Douglas, like you 14, can only see the bird in hand.

• Upvote 1

So what is it you're afriad of then?  What bad thing do you fear that moving Adams will cause?

Will we start 1-7 next year without him?  Or, oh no.....will we start 0-8?

Why do you presume the O-Lineman we might select, with a 1st from Adams, or a #2 WR we might select with a 3rd rounder from Adams, will be sure-fire busts?  Why do you have trouble believing that we might draft a decent O-lineman or a decent WR, players who will have meaningful impact on our offensive performance, in a draft heavy on O-line and WR talent?

Sure, if you think Adams is the best defender in the NFL and building our Defense the only route to success......I could see being utterly unwilling to even contemplate moving him.  

Is that your view?  That the Jets cannot win without Jamal Adams being a Jet?

I mean really, what is the worst case?  We draft all busts and our Defense is ranked 18th instead of 15th?  

And why can you not even contemplate a best case to compare against it?

I'm not against trading Jamal. But I better get a sh*t ton back for him

7 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Oh I could only imagine.  I'm sure if they felt you could talk in depth on the subject they would be a bit more receptive, but most times they are only going to hear form the fan that might know who 5 players-tops, on the team outside of a QB or skill position player.

Just like anything else, anyone who is out to lunch or away form their job doesn't want to talk about their job, and just enjoy life.  I work with computers, and its frustrating with someone asks for computer help after I had already logged 8-10 hours of work for the day.

Props to you for recognizing that and not being annoying, just like you, myself, or most others would want to be with a rep from our favorite team.

Well yeah for sure. All of that and the fact that once you mention you're a Jets fan, the collective response is usually ... "damn I'm sorry"  lol

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I want value though. This is a smart play. 

I agree. I'd personally take 17 and 82 from Dallas for Jamal. Give me one of the OTs at 11, and Ruggs/Tee Higgins at 17. We'd also have a 2nd and 3 3rds to add more OL depth as well as edge and corner help

• Upvote 2