Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm not against trading Jamal. But I better get a sh*t ton back for him

Well.....we're not going to get anything back because it isn't going to happen. 

Because it sounds like Douglas has made his decision, and publicly.

I'm glad the fans who think Adams is irreplaceable will be happy. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

I agree. I'd personally take 17 and 82 from Dallas for Jamal. Give me one of the OTs at 11, and Ruggs/Tee Higgins at 17. We'd also have a 2nd and 3 3rds to add more OL depth as well as edge and corner help

Douglas needs to play it slow and smart. keep the possibility of him staying open so that it could raise the price. I frankly would like him to stay but if they get a massive offer I'd do it. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The bird in the hand played almost every snap of our 1-7 start.  Sam, not Adams, was the driving force behind out 6-2 finish.

Yes, I'm willing to risk a player that even when playing lights out all-pro level......could in no way shape or form effect our 1-7 start and was not overly necessary in our improved 6-2 finish.

Life is all about risk vs. reward and choices.  I would choose to risk the loss of an all-pro Strong Safety for the chance to add picks to what we have, and rebuild our offense for Sam with at least three O-linemen and two WR's.

Yes but could the defense live with 1 INT less per season ?

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Douglas needs to play it slow and smart. keep the possibility of him staying open so that it could raise the price. I frankly would like him to stay but if they get a massive offer I'd do it. 

I'm hoping the comments today were just smoke to raise the trade value

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well.....we're not going to get anything back because it isn't going to happen. 

Because it sounds like Douglas has made his decision, and publicly.

I'm glad the fans who think Adams is irreplaceable will be happy. 

I wouldn't be too sure on that. It could be a smokescreen to up the ante for any potential suitors.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I think I broke something. 

I suddenly just cannot bring myself to care anymore.

sh*t, I hope this passes.

douglas has to be salivating at how the draft's strengths match up with the jets' needs.  if he can turn adams into serious draft collateral, you combine a revamped offense with brady possibly leaving the division and all of a sudden the jets can really win the division.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So what is it you're afriad of then?  What bad thing do you fear that moving Adams will cause?

Will we start 1-7 next year without him?  Or, oh no.....will we start 0-8?

Why do you presume the O-Lineman we might select, with a 1st from Adams, or a #2 WR we might select with a 3rd rounder from Adams, will be sure-fire busts?  Why do you have trouble believing that we might draft a decent O-lineman or a decent WR, players who will have meaningful impact on our offensive performance, in a draft heavy on O-line and WR talent?

Sure, if you think Adams is the best defender in the NFL and building our Defense the only route to success......I could see being utterly unwilling to even contemplate moving him.  

Is that your view?  That the Jets cannot win without Jamal Adams being a Jet?

I mean really, what is the worst case?  We draft all busts and our Defense is ranked 18th instead of 15th?  

And why can you not even contemplate a best case to compare against it?

I'm far more knowledgeable about baseball and golf then football, as those are the sports I've played seriously. However if I were somehow named a Gm, and given the opportunity to build a football team, here's how I think I'd do it with a team as bad as the Jets were the last 3,4 years.

1. try to build the strongest defense possible, trying to get at least one very good player at each of the 3 levels. If I had to prioritize positionally I'd look CB then DL followed by ILB.

2. try to put together an OL, making the LT a priority. I'd also try to establish a system such as zone blocking, and concentrate on players who fit that scheme.

3. I'd look for a, RB, and then WR's

4. Here is where I differ with what the Jets, and most teams seem to do. After building a roster the way I just outlined, THEN I'd look for my QB. I don't think the model of drafting a QB very high by a bottom feeder team does the player, or team much good.

Finally, and this pertains to a player like Adams. If I got lucky, and had a really good player at a "non premium" position, I wouldn't look to trade him in a risk reward move. I'd want as many sure things on my roster as possible.

I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just giving you the best, most honest answer to your question I can.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I'll have to try and listen later but curious, were reporters asking about certain position groups or was this information offered up by Douglas/Gase.  Not that I ever put much stock into a presser but there will be a certain feeling of relief if the holes on the OL and the depth of the WR class was info offered up by the Jets as opposed to asked about by the media. 

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

jesus are we really gonna turn this combine thread into another "should we trade Jamal" thread.... 

Its all my fault.  I saw this coming the minute I posted the Jamal tweet.  Should have just skipped it and moved on.  Either that or I will start another Combine thread in the Draft forum tomorrow.  For Combine talk.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Its all my fault.  I saw this coming the minute I posted the Jamal tweet.  Should have just skipped it and moved on.  Either that or I will start another Combine thread in the Draft forum tomorrow.  For Combine talk.

Not your fault that people can’t control themselves and save it for a different thread. I do, however, hope we can get back on track, because Jamal Adams isn’t the topic here at all and this was a great thread before he was mentioned.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'll have to try and listen later but curious, were reporters asking about certain position groups or was this information offered up by Douglas/Gase.  Not that I ever put much stock into a presser but there will be a certain feeling of relief if the holes on the OL and the depth of the WR class was info offered up by the Jets as opposed to asked about by the media. 

Sounds like Gase ws asked about OL and WR -- tough to tell becasue is is hard to hear the questions.  Will need to listen to Douglas again later, had it on, but work kept infringnig on my ability to listen.

• Upvote 1

Interested to know if the list of Explosive, Smart, Tough, Durable and Versatile was specific for OL or just traits they value over all?

Obviously most teams value things like that, so no big surprise, but I think there are certain WRs who might not fit that bill that are pretty highly rated that fans might have previously thought might be fits RD 1-3.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So what is it you're afriad of then?  What bad thing do you fear that moving Adams will cause?

Will we start 1-7 next year without him?  Or, oh no.....will we start 0-8?

Why do you presume the O-Lineman we might select, with a 1st from Adams, or a #2 WR we might select with a 3rd rounder from Adams, will be sure-fire busts?  Why do you have trouble believing that we might draft a decent O-lineman or a decent WR, players who will have meaningful impact on our offensive performance, in a draft heavy on O-line and WR talent?

Sure, if you think Adams is the best defender in the NFL and building our Defense the only route to success......I could see being utterly unwilling to even contemplate moving him.  

Is that your view?  That the Jets cannot win without Jamal Adams being a Jet?

I mean really, what is the worst case?  We draft all busts and our Defense is ranked 18th instead of 15th?  

And why can you not even contemplate a best case to compare against it?

EDIT:  Well, seems this is all moot if Douglas indeed said he wants to make Adams "a Jet for life".

Such is life.  Apparently Douglas, like you 14, can only see the bird in hand.

I love my house and its not for sale, but if someone offered me twice what its worth, Id start packing now. 

I bet that Douglas feels the same way.  If he cant get a premium for a premium player in  Adams he isnt willing to move a player to get one more pick.  He isnt a QB thats going to bring back a boat load of high picks

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like Gase ws asked about OL and WR -- tough to tell becasue is is hard to hear the questions.  Will need to listen to Douglas again later, had it on, but work kept infringnig on my ability to listen.

I'm listening to Douglas now.  Douglas gave a brief intro and then the media led the discussion with their questions.  

That said, Joe Douglas talked about how they have only 1 player under contract on the OL (Winters) so it's clear this is a priority even if he was led there by the media's questions.  He started with "look, you know how I feel about the OL" and ended with emphatically saying "We need a strong offensive line and we need to take care of Sam."

p.s. he loves Jamal, Robby and Bell.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

There is a concept you might want to more broadly familiarize yourself with:  cultural appropriation.

As an aside, it something many black men (and women) themselves have expressed serious concern and objection about.

Cultural appropriation? Good god man are you serious?

nevermind. No politics 

6 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Cultural appropriation? Good god man are you serious?

nevermind. No politics 

Are you?  Are you ignorant of the concept?

Cultural Appropriation is a cultural issue, not a political issue, so feel free to speak your mind.  There are no rules here at JN barring cultural discussions, as long as they remain civil and don't get corrupted by politics.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I love my house and its not for sale, but if someone offered me twice what its worth, Id start packing now. 

I bet that Douglas feels the same way.  If he cant get a premium for a premium player in  Adams he isnt willing to move a player to get one more pick.  He isnt a QB thats going to bring back a boat load of high picks

People here who feel the way @Warfish does about this can/should take solace in two things.

First, no player is untouchable. Everything has a price, its just a question of does someone want something enough to offer an amount the owner thinks is too good to turn down?

Second, situations between players, their agents, and teams are fluid. What's true today may not be true tomorrow. That doesn't mean someone is lying, or posturing when they speak today. It simply means things change. Nothing is forever.

• Upvote 2

Are you?  Are you ignorant of the concept?

Cultural Appropriation is a cultural issue, not a political issue, so feel free to speak your mind.  There are no rules here at JN barring cultural discussions, as long as they remain civil and don't get corrupted by politics.

This clearly has nothing to do with combine news, so start another thread if you want to continue to discuss it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not your fault that people can’t control themselves and save it for a different thread. I do, however, hope we can get back on track, because Jamal Adams isn’t the topic here at all and this was a great thread before he was mentioned.

I think there’s a lot of Jamal-related anxiety in the base because re-signing him is the safe, chalk thing to do and trading him would take guts, so it’s a big early test for how much of a spine Douglas has. This moment in time is eerily similar to when we were on the clock with Quinnen Williams on the board: the easy move was to take him, even though he wouldn’t make the team appreciably better, and the ballsy move—the one that would show you the GM has a sense of urgency toward winning a title—was to trade down. When Maccagnan took Quinnen, you knew the Jets weren’t serious about winning because they’re weren’t doing sh*t to help Sam Darnold improve. It’ll be the same if/when they hold the press conference to announce they gave Jamal Adams $100 million dollars. The rubes will like it, but anyone who follows the team will recognize the feel of quicksand under their collective feet. 

• Upvote 2