Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

There is a concept you might want to more broadly familiarize yourself with:  cultural appropriation.

As an aside, it something many black men (and women) themselves have expressed serious concern and objection about.

FWIW, the Star of David has no sacred value whatsoever, and I for one have no problem with this at all

• Upvote 1

The latest news and rumors from the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine

Wednesday Buzz

9:30 AM (via Tony Pauline): Is the first QB domino about to fall?
What will the Indianapolis Colts do to solve their quarterback dilemma? It’s been reported the past few days that soon to be free agent Philip Rivers would be the perfect solution and people at the NFL Combine tell me they believe “this will happen.”

They point to the fact Rivers has a great relationship with head coach Frank Reich. It should also be an easy signing as the Colts are projected to have a lot of room under the cap.

If the Colts do sign Philip Rivers, where will they turn to in the draft? I’m told they will focus on pass rushers, front, and center. However, this assumes they don’t sign a pass rusher in free agency.

Remember- just a year ago I mentioned Indianapolis lost out to the Green Bay Packers for the services of Preston Smith in the waning moments of contract negotiations. I don’t expect that to happen this time around if Chris Ballard is focused on such a player in free agency.

20 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Douglas needs to play it slow and smart. keep the possibility of him staying open so that it could raise the price. I frankly would like him to stay but if they get a massive offer I'd do it. 

No GM is giving a massive offer for a player that is essentially overrated and whose position ranks at the bottom of creating a winning NFL franchise. QB, T, WR, edge rusher, cb are all more vital pieces than a box safety.  Allocating 17 M to a guy who is basically a hybrid LB is ludicrous.  That money could be spent on a player that would elevate Sam like a top T or WR. We’d be fortunate to get a #1 and a #3.  And JD would be foolish not to pull the lever on such an offer. With those extra 2 picks he could easily redo OL. Would it leave a hole at SS. Not really. Signing an edge rusher completely changes the role Adams played. We could easily sign or draft Adams’ replacement  With a mid round pick or with a vet for less than half of what he’s demanding. It’s economics. He’s just not worth it and how he’s going about it is pretty pathetic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Push notification from ESPN (so take with a grain of salt), that the Jets have been eyeing Alabama WR, Henry Ruggs III. 

I don't watch much college football so I'm unfamiliar with many of the names outside of the top players. What's the scoop on this guy?

This combine thing, it's a great place to eye players.  Lots of them.  

17 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Push notification from ESPN (so take with a grain of salt), that the Jets have been eyeing Alabama WR, Henry Ruggs III. 

I don't watch much college football so I'm unfamiliar with many of the names outside of the top players. What's the scoop on this guy?

Extremely fast. Maybe going to break the 40 time record.

not the most polished WR...

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm happy you're happy.

I hope you're just as happy come, say, week 15, when you look at the Jets Offense and where it is production-wise.

I think it's quite clear that Adams, good as he is (and I don;t dispute his good play), just doesn't move the needle at all on wins and losses.  He can play lights out, and we're still a 1-7 team.

WR's and O-linemen protecting Sam.....that moves the needle.  That wins games, divisions, playoffs, etc.  Not a 6 sack 1 INT Safety.

But such is life.  We've been a Defensive dominated team with a pathetic offence for almost all of the past 30 years.  Why would or should I expect that to change now?

One offensive lineman by himself wont move the needle or help Sam either. You need 5 decent ones or the line is only as good as its weakest link.  Its the same with the defense.  Its still a team game

• Upvote 1

Ruggs’ speed is appealing but man sometimes it seems like teams that don’t have an established offense just try to throw a fast guy on the field and let things happen and it doesn’t work. The straight speed guys generally don’t work out anyway, at least not at the rate that they’re worth drafting in R1. Need that production to back it up. Though the weighted production for Bama guys is tricky this year since there we’re lot of mouths to feed there.

Shenault is a similar one. Didn’t Gase once describe Demaryius Thomas as like his ideal outside receiver? Board is not a fan but between some similarities to Shenault and Thomas in terms of being physical freaks who are raw but productive downfield and after the catch and the fact that he’s an analytics darling as well - I could very much see him being a target.

• Upvote 1

First off, while Adam is a very good player and yes he might have made the pro-bowl, he's not worth 17m a year. Second if Dallas as rumored would not give up Zack Martin in the proposed trade that should tell everyone where the position importance of those players are. There is no reason why as good as Adams is, we can't get someone almost as serviceable and concentrate on the top priority for this team which is OL and WR. just my 2 cents...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

One word.  Speed.

May be the only guy who can run with Tyreek Hill.

• Upvote 1

Holy crap, Ruggs is fast.  It's like he's playing against high schoolers on film.  He definitely does remind me of Tyreek Hill.  If we let Robby walk, Ruggs would make me forget him very quickly.  Combine is going to be interesting to see if he can push Jeudy and Lamb.

34 minutes ago, Jethead said:

Charles (LSU) and Wilson (GA) would be good 2nd round options if we go Ruggs in Round 1. My current preference. If we go OT in round 1 I still like Thomas best.

If we miraculously pull off Thuney or Conklin in FA, then I could be cool with WR in round 1.  Not sure if Ruggs can displace Jeudy or Lamb, but any of them would probably be a huge improvement.  If we do go that way, I am starting to warm up to the idea of Ruiz in round 2 if he's still there.  He is starting to feel like he could quietly be the best Center in this draft.  

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He's awesome

42 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Extremely fast. Maybe going to break the 40 time record.

not the most polished WR...

29 minutes ago, Lith said:

One word.  Speed.

May be the only guy who can run with Tyreek Hill.

I was afraid someone was gonna say he's not very "polished." Stupid speed can cover up a lot though. Not Robby stupid, but Tyreek Hill stupid.

Double entendres like you read about

51 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We better not go Ruggs in the first wtf lol

Yeah, I would not be thrilled either.  That's not to say Ruggs won't be good, maybe even great, but in the event we let Anderson walk and draft Ruggs in the first, are we really any further along than we were? I have my doubts.  

*All my opinions are subject to change post FA

• Upvote 3

On 2/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, GREENBEAN said:

Well said. As deep as the draft is at OL, it’s deeper at WR. The drop off, like you said, is more significant on the OL side of things so you grab the best OL you can at 11. Then play with the WR’s later. Pittman,reagor,mims, Andrews will all be there in the 2nd abd even 3rd.
Hell Justin Jefferson May even be there at 48. Not likely but possible.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm all good with taking an OL as long as it isn't  a reach. There is a possibility  that 3 of the 4 elite OL are gone by the tome we pick. If that os the case and no WR's are taken, I would opt to take the best WR and address OL in rounds 2 and 3

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

One offensive lineman by himself wont move the needle or help Sam either. You need 5 decent ones or the line is only as good as its weakest link.  Its the same with the defense.  Its still a team game

Agreed.  Which is why I want 2 in the first and 2 more in the middle rounds.  

29 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah, I would not be thrilled either.  That's not to say Ruggs won't be good, maybe even great, but in the event we let Anderson walk and draft Ruggs in the first, are we really any further along than we were? I have my doubts.  

*All my opinions are subject to change post FA

That would be reminiscent of Trading away Revis, only to spend the pick on Milliner. 

• Upvote 3