Combine News, Notes & Updates

Lith

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

1  You dont know what offers we received for Adams.  Saying we d get a first and third -you dont know the market or offers received-why not say two firsts???

Correct.  Neither of us know, only Douglas knows.  For all we know it could be two firsts.  But a 1 + 3 is a reasonable expectation given past similar moves IMO.  If you disagree, fair enough, but it's odd if you think he's that good but not worth anything on the market.

2  Getting a first round pick between 20-33 isnt  a slam dunk to get an elite offensive lineman None of the top 5 lineman will be available by then 
Its unlikely that a team with many needs drafting lower would give up that much draft capital

It should be if Douglas is any good at his job.  Sorry, I'm done accepting "well, the draft is a crapshoot" excuses for horrible Jets GM's.

3  If your plan is to get Sam killed its a good one.  I mean what are the chances that we draft 3 O linemen and they are all ready physically and emotionally to play 16 NFL games?

Selected in the first three rounds?  Pretty good chance, and they literally couldn't be worse than what we fielded in 2019.  The odds are just as good as yet another round of veteran placeholder recycled FA linemen, a concept that has failed miserably here for a number of years now.  Will they be elite and perfect week 1, probably not.  But they should, if Douglas is any good, be 10-year starters for Sam.

Having 3 rookies starting is likely to make the line even more leaky

Please. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not drafting 3 OL to immediately start.  The plan should be to bring back Beachum and someone like Alex Lewis and sign 1-2 other band-aid OL while also drafting heavy on OL.  

Hopefully we'll find ourselves with a franchise LT and a couple other long-term starters out of the deal.  

Now that would be nice.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

the main reason paying adams won't hurt the jets is b/c besides darnold there are no other draft picks to pay big money to.  it's an indictment of how bad the drafting has been.  with douglas instead of mccagnan, instead of paying cbs and Ilbs major money, we'll be overspending on OL b/c mccagnan and idzik never drafted any.  

if the jets drafted soundly for years like the ravens, they'd be able to let a guy like mosley walk in FA and then pay judon.  the jets have nobody else to pay.

This guy gets it.

just pay and adams and lets move on

56 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Your opinion...

If Biadasz is there when we pick in the 3rd, should we take him? Is he good enough to start, and hold down the center position for the Jets going forward?

Or do you pass on him?

I think they'll be a better player than him in the third round, so yes I would pass on him. Whether it's a rb, ot, og, wr, or even a cb.

• Upvote 2

I don’t know nearly as much about these kids as a lot of you here do, but I do know more then most about the injury Tua suffered this fall. It’s about as severe as anything that can happen to an athlete. I honestly don’t know of a player who’s been able to come back from it and perform the same as he did prior, and trust me, I’ve watched for it.

It happened to me years ago, and derailed any chance of continuing to play baseball in college. It happened to the Ravens TE who came up with Flacco, and I knew it would end his career. Same thing with Bo Jackson, and he was the definition of a generational talent in two sports.

I’m amazed at all the talk of teams moving up to take Tua, or even drafting him highly. I saw yesterday where Shefter said there’s a feeling in the NFL that Tua is rushing thiis rehab, and for no reason.

He went on to say, despite “positive medicals”, teams should understand Tua won’t be able to play until late, or at all this season. Even Nick Satan is on record that if Tua had come back to Alabama this year, he would sit, rehab, and not play until very late in the season if at all.

If I’m the Dolphins, or any other team looking for a QB this year, this guy isn’t the one. I definitely wouldn’t move up to get him. If anything, I might take a chance if he fell, but by that I mean out of the first round.

I feel badly for the kid, and I hope I’m wrong here. I’m actually hoping someone takes the kid very high, and he makes a ton of money because of that. I just don’t see him ever being what he could have been.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

I think they'll be a better player than him in the third round, so yes I would pass on him. Whether it's a rb, ot, og, wr, or even a cb.

Thanks. I’d be happy if that’s how the Jets went.

I get people wanting to be all in on OL, but I asked you because I think it’s way more important to look for a starter level guy with our two 3rds then a project type guy just to fill a position.

We have a lot of holes, not just at center.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I just started watching film on him a couple of days ago and I'm impressed. I like him much more than all of the bigger names like Biadasz, Hennesey, and especially Harris who I wouldn't touch in any round.

He sets a great base, is very quick out of his stance, pulls well, and has great strength. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Correct.  Neither of us know, only Douglas knows.  For all we know it could be two firsts.  But a 1 + 3 is a reasonable expectation given past similar moves IMO.  If you disagree, fair enough, but it's odd if you think he's that good but not worth anything on the market.

It should be if Douglas is any good at his job.  Sorry, I'm done accepting "well, the draft is a crapshoot" excuses for horrible Jets GM's.

Selected in the first three rounds?  Pretty good chance, and they literally couldn't be worse than what we fielded in 2019.  The odds are just as good as yet another round of veteran placeholder recycled FA linemen, a concept that has failed miserably here for a number of years now.  Will they be elite and perfect week 1, probably not.  But they should, if Douglas is any good, be 10-year starters for Sam.

Please. :rolleyes:

The draft is a crapshoot no matter which team drafts.  We have brought in high picks that the Pats blew and confirmed their lameness- we ve had a QB and LT that were both drafted in the first 3 rounds.   There are plenty of highly drafted OT that busted or ended up mediocre guards    That same comment applies to every position   You not acknowledging the risk is being either naive or disingenuous.  Name one team that hasnt had busts in the first 4 rounds in the last 5 years.   You cant.
Your suggestion would be more understandable if the Jets had a young stud behind Adams that could provide quality play, but theyd need to use a pick to draft Adams replacement too, so even if they got 2 high picks theyd need to use one to replace Adams.

if the Jets got offered 2 first rounders for Adams, or a bevy of picks including a first rounder, I think Douglas would jump at it.   The fact that Adams is still here tells me that he hasnt.   And giving away a premiere player for less would be a poor decision.

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Who's a player you like? Should be no problem to find a comparable draft bust to denigrate him with. That's an easy game to play

Cherry picking: Ignoring the rest of the post, taking 1 statement grossly out of context, and not acknowledging that i like Ruggs but LT are better.

Well done

51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Thanks. I’d be happy if that’s how the Jets went.

I get people wanting to be all in on OL, but I asked you because I think it’s way more important to look for a starter level guy with our two 3rds then a project type guy just to fill a position.

We have a lot of holes, not just at center.

true.  like edge rusher last year.  Polite was a 3rd round project guy.  Can't afford riverboat gambling in the draft.  Combine that with bad scouting and flagrant ignorance, and you have an accurate description of the Maccagnan Draft machine. .  

59 minutes ago, RobR said:

Interesting.  So you expect him to be overdrafted obviously.  Where do you think he should be drafted?

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I can appreciate that but I would say that the 5th T is still as good as many first rd T's in other years.  The 5th is looking like Josh Jones. A true left tackle with good size and speed. He might be a touch more raw than say Thomas etc, but he would, be a fine pick at 11.  I just think there will be WR's that are comparable to the top 3 throughout the 2nd and 3rd rds. Potentially even later. Bryan Edwards could be anywhere from a 3-5th rd selection and would be an excellent pick up. 

They had many of the top OT's on Movin' the Chains today. (do a rewind if you missed.)  I only heard about half hour while in the  car for the interviews with Whirfs and Becton but heard the earlier discussion about the round 1 class.    

I'll be fine with the ones that they interviewed and discussed. Sadly, the need to anchor the OL outweighs everything else.  Mac not only killed our chances when he was around, but left an open wound that still handicaps us today.  Would have loved a WR there.  But it is what it is.  <grumble> 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Interesting.  So you expect him to be overdrafted obviously.  Where do you think he should be drafted?

I still think he's a third rounder....just saying there would more than likely be someone there that I would like better. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, nico002 said:

People also died of chicken pox 14, what you had 50 years ago isn’t really relevant with the advances that have been made in medical technology 

You’re right nico, I’m sure there have been advances since when it happened to me back at Bedrock University, playing with Fred and Barney, lol.

Bo Jackson was a while back also, but the Ravens TE was fairly recent, and he fell off a cliff, athletically.

Like I said, I can’t think of an athlete who has come back from a dislocated hip and performed at the same level he did prior to the injury, can you? I’m not rooting against Tua, I felt really badly for him when I heard what his injury was.

Trust me, it’s not a minor injury, it’s as bad of one an athlete can have.

36 minutes ago, David Harris said:

The thing with Bo Jackson’s injury was the tenuous blood supply to the top of the hip. That quick dislocation and spontaneous reduction tore these little blood vessels that feed the hip bone the nutrients and building blocks of the bone, with this blood flow impairment the top of the hip bone permanently died off a little; “avascular necrosis” - in English, blood vessel impairment leading to cell death.  

it’s a very specific thing- Tuas Initial traumatic injury was more severe than a simple hip dislocation but That doesn’t mean the avascular necrosis will Necessarily happen 

Yes, I understand about the avascular necrosis, and I think I saw that Tua was fortunate with the blood flow issue. Everything I’ve seen says things have gone as well as could be hoped.

I was fortunate in that I didn’t need surgery, the hip was popped back into place. There was damage to the bones though. The pain and rehab was incredibly hard. The pain and weakness in the leg lasted for many years, and sharp, sudden jolts of pain are still common.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

They had many of the top OT's on Movin' the Chains today. (do a rewind if you missed.)  I only heard about half hour while in the  car for the interviews with Whirfs and Becton but heard the earlier discussion about the round 1 class.    

I'll be fine with the ones that they interviewed and discussed. Sadly, the need to anchor the OL outweighs everything else.  Mac not only killed our chances when he was around, but left an open wound that still handicaps us today.  Would have loved a WR there.  But it is what it is.  <grumble> 

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know. I haven't listened in a while. This is right around the time I like that show the best. I'll rewind that one tomorrow. Good lookin out. :) 

Yeah, last year's draft all but killed me. There were a couple of times where I thought guys I liked a lot were sitting there and was sure we'd take them. Namely Connor Mcgovern, Chase Winnovich, Michael Deiter, Terry Mclaurin, Jace Sternberger or Darrell Henderson at the Polite pick. Any one of them and I would have been ok.  Hell, Mcgovern could have been had at the Edoga pick. When he slipped to that pick I thought it was sure thing that he would be a Jet. lmao  

Chuma Edoga??????   lol

yeah I just think Douglas needs to have a long term multi phase plan. This year is the year of protecting Sam and helping him succeed. The draft is set up for that to happen easily if we draft smart. Next year we can focus more on CB and Edge. So on and So on. I would much rather we commit to shoring up a unit or two rather than a smattering of guys all over the place who can't fully address and area.  I'm really curious to see how this goes. 

11 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Awesome. Thanks for letting me know. I haven't listened in a while. This is right around the time I like that show the best.

rewind the whole week.  It's combine time.  They actually gave them one of the best broadcast booths in the place.  Pete Carroll was a riot yesterday when he said he remembered the first time they were at the combine sitting on 2 folding chairs with their laptops placed on upside-down garbage cans in the tunnel between the locker rooms.  Carroll was VERY funny.  Talked about how "depressed" he is (guy wouldn't know depressed if it hit him in the face).

Do you ever wonder what would have been had Hess given Carroll a chance?

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

What’s moving the chains, a tv show or podcast?  I’d like to listen 

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

What’s moving the chains, a tv show or podcast?  I’d like to listen 

SiriusXM NFL Network (channel 88 in my car).  This show is their best.  Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller do outstanding interviews, and of course you'll remember Kirwan in the Jets F.O. around the Coslet years, which he discusses from time to time.   These guys have both players' POVs and front office POVs and their show is big.  Love it.   Afternoons on East coast

I also see a podcast with Kirwan and someone else called Movin the chains, but that might be very old.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

SiriusXM NFL Network (channel 88 in my car).  This show is their best.  Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller do outstanding interviews, and of course you'll remember Kirwan in the Jets F.O. around the Coslet years, which he discusses from time to time.   These guys have both players' POVs and front office POVs and their show is big.  Love it.   Afternoons on East coast

I also see a podcast with Kirwan and someone else called Movin the chains, but that might be very old.

Jimmy Miller is great, seems like a pretty cool guy. Kirwin is a bit of a dickbag

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Dcat said:

rewind the whole week.  It's combine time.  They actually gave them one of the best broadcast booths in the place.  Pete Carroll was a riot yesterday when he said he remembered the first time they were at the combine sitting on 2 folding chairs with their laptops placed on upside-down garbage cans in the tunnel between the locker rooms.  Carroll was VERY funny.  Talked about how "depressed" he is (guy wouldn't know depressed if it hit him in the face).

Do you ever wonder what would have been had Hess given Carroll a chance?

Naah, Carrol needed his failed Patriot stint and going back to College before he was a good NFL HC again. He was always gonna suck before Seattle.  If it was the Jets that courted him from college maybe, but not after Coslet.

He may have done better than Kotite though :) 

I'm all over moving the chains for the rest of the week. Thanks for reminding me. 

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Naah, Carrol needed his failed Patriot stint and going back to College before he was a good NFL HC again. He was always gonna suck before Seattle.  If it was the Jets that courted him from college maybe, but not after Coslet.

He may have done better than Kotite though :) 

I'm all over moving the chains for the rest of the week. Thanks for reminding me. 

I always chuckle when one of you bring up Kotite. He's a neighbor of mine, we live in the same golf community. He's a really nice person, loves to talk football, and is in incredible shape. The guy is always in our gym working out, really hits the weights hard.

Not much of a golfer though, :rolleyes: He usually plays very early in the morning, and doesn't get involved in any of the big money games.

• Sympathy 1