BROOKLYN JET

Joe Douglas Says He Wants Jamal Adams to be a New York Jet for Life

He's either gonna be grossly overpaid or there will be a hold out. This is a no win situation for the Jets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

For those of us that do most of our work in Board Rooms, this is referred to as "CEO talk".  I would take is as pure rhetoric.

I’d like to think Douglas isn’t this stupid. He gets 1 offseason to show his worth and then I’m just going to be numb to Jets management perpetual incompetence. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

He was never going anywhere

Funny, that's exactly what I think about the Jets.  Going nowhere.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I say we lock T0m Shane & Joe Douglas in a room together to hash this thing out, Mano a Mano. 

lol, i don't see any way that works out remotely well for T0m, lol.. 

• Haha 2

Why do teams want to give away money and term for free?  Why?  They control him, why is this an issue now?

Is he going to give us a big discount to sign him now?  No.  So why even talk about it until he inevitably holds out?

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No. 

We have all the leverage in the world over him right now, and if we do have to trade him, we are getting premium returns for him. 

- If we pay him, we have the best safety in the league. 

- If we dont pay him now, we have his rights anyways this season. 

- If we dont pay him next year, we have a 5th year option. 

- If we dont pay him the year after, we can franchise. 

- If he holds out in any of those scenarios, we control his destiny to which team he goes and will get a premium return on our investment. 

We quite literally have him by the ball sack. We win in every single scenario.

All true,

Does it sound like the Jets have any intention at all whatsoever to do this?  No.

Their owner/CEO will be more than happy to give him a fat extension for no reason at all.

This is a nice test for Douglas to see what kind of balls he has for the job.

• Upvote 2

This is exactly what JD has to say regardless of what his plan is.  He's got a can that says "GM Speak, Open And Pour". 

I'd go as high as 14 million a year for him but not a penny more.

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No. 

We have all the leverage in the world over him right now, and if we do have to trade him, we are getting premium returns for him. 

- If he holds out in any of those scenarios, we control his destiny to which team he goes and will get a premium return on our investment. 

But if he holds out a team trading for him will realize we've lost the leverage no? After seeing him implode during the season this year after the first set of trade rumors I have no doubt he's gonna hold out. 

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

But if he holds out a team trading for him will realize we've lost the leverage no? After seeing him implode during the season this year after the first set of trade rumors I have no doubt he's gonna hold out. 

Implode? Tad overreacting no? 

That generally not how it works in the NFL. The teams looking to trade for him when he holds out will know they are competing against others. 

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Implode? Tad overreacting no? 

That generally not how it works in the NFL. The teams looking to trade for him when he holds out will know they are competing against others. 

He came out and said he's love to get traded to Dallas while being a captain of the Jets. Didn't speak to Douglas or Gase for a few days and fired off a bunch of tweets about the front office for listening to trade offers on him. Which is comical when you realize that Joe D asked for ZACK MARTIN in return lol I mean cmon. Maybe implode is a strong word but it definitely doesn't make me feel any better about him

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why do teams want to give away money and term for free?  Why?  They control him, why is this an issue now?

Is he going to give us a big discount to sign him now?  No.  So why even talk about it until he inevitably holds out?

So we can be on the positive end of the PR spin?  We're being proactive, and can say we're doing our part in the negotiations.  Now it's up to Jamal whether he holds out or not.  

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No. 

We don't control his destiny. he controls the destiny in a trade because nobody is trading for him unless he agrees to a long term deal with them first. 

11 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No. 

Yeah but this is not really how things typically work out. Players get disgruntled. It makes them harder to trade. It lessens their value. You could end up 'stuck' with a player who doesn't want to play for you because of the way you have treated him as GM and you are still paying him a ton of money via franchise tag or 5th year option. In general, it's always better to 'work things out' so the player is happy and will go out and play hard for you. You think you will get 'premium' returns for a player holding out who has publicly made it known he doesn't like the way you have been treating him? Think again. 

9 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

This is exactly what JD has to say regardless of what his plan is.  He's got a can that says "GM Speak, Open And Pour". 

I'd go as high as 14 million a year for him but not a penny more.

I think it's fair to look at the Eddie Jackson extension which averaged out to 14.6 mil a year. I'd go as high as $15 mil a year but thats about it. It will make him the highest paid safety. You can structure the guarantees differently and lessen the cap hit this year if you want. I don't know, structure it how you want. But I think that is probably what Adams will want and probably close to JDs ceiling. To sit here and pretend like Adams deserves considerably less than Eddie Jackson is absurd.      

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They could guarantee this next 3 years at the rate we would have given him on the tag and offer a signing bonus to boost it over the top and add more upfront money. 

44 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I say we lock T0m Shane & Joe Douglas in a room together to hash this thing out, Mano a Mano. 

That's Spanish for handjob, no?

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Stark said:

lol, i don't see any way that works out remotely well for T0m, lol.. 

I don't know, sometimes crazy beats big and strong...it just depends on whether T0m's keyboard crazy or real world crazy.

I've seen a 300 lb mountain of a man cry like a 5 year old when he got his ear bit off.

T0m - you hungry?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Yeah but this is not really how things typically work out. Players get disgruntled. It makes them harder to trade. It lessens their value. You could end up 'stuck' with a player who doesn't want to play for you because of the way you have treated him as GM and you are still paying him a ton of money via franchise tag or 5th year option. In general, it's always better to 'work things out' so the player is happy and will go out and play hard for you. You think you will get 'premium' returns for a player holding out who has publicly made it known he doesn't like the way you have been treating him? Think again. 

I think it's fair to look at the Eddie Jackson extension which averaged out to 14.6 mil a year. I'd go as high as $15 mil a year but thats about it. It will make him the highest paid safety. You can structure the guarantees differently and lessen the cap hit this year if you want. I don't know, structure it how you want. But I think that is probably what Adams will want and probably close to JDs ceiling. To sit here and pretend like Adams deserves considerably less than Eddie Jackson is absurd.      

Makes sense... I agree with the fans/pundits that don't see SS as a premium position, but Jamal is more than the position itself.  His level/style of play transcends the expected impact of even a top level safety.  I guess $15mm would be a sound deal for such a player. 

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

His level/style of play transcends the expected impact of even a top level safety. 

No, it really doesn't. 

• Upvote 3

I like Jamal and want him to be a Jet, but Iast time the Jets traded a player for picks of any significance was Richardson for a 2nd rounder that led to acquiring Darnold. If Jamal can get us an additional 1st and 3rd, you have to consider it. If that 3rd is a 2nd rounder, I'm all over that trade. 

It would allow Douglas to approach the draft with so much flexibility and if he manages to sign a few OLinemen in FA (Glasgow, Thuney, Conklin?), Jets are in business.  Would potentially make up for not drafting Watson or Mahomes that year.

• Upvote 1

One thing that caught my eye in the JD presser is he listed off 5 traits they were looking for. Smart, Tough, Versatile, Explosive and Durable. 

I'm not sure if he was specifically talking about OL or in general, but if these traits are what the Jets want to be, then I can see where keeping Adams would fit that.  

Not saying it's the right or wrong move, but if that's your identity, Jamal Adams fits it and then some.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

We don't control his destiny. he controls the destiny in a trade because nobody is trading for him unless he agrees to a long term deal with them first. 

He does not control in destiny in any way. This is a contractual fact. 

There are plenty of teams that trade for players without a deal in place first. We just traded Leo to the Giants in the same scenario. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, it really doesn't. 

Debatable, at least.  It is not trivial for a SS to wind up with so many sacks.  He's very good in the box against the run and was a big part of why GW's defense was so good against the ground attack.  It compelled opposing teams to pass more often, and in that case, Adams did double duty by pressuring/sacking the QB.  He also did well when he wound up having to account for TE's and ball carriers in coverage.  Adams helps the defense in multiple ways.  That is not even counting the leadership/motivational components... 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

36 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You think you will get 'premium' returns for a player holding out who has publicly made it known he doesn't like the way you have been treating him? Think again.     

This literally just happened with Minkah Fitzpatrick this past season and the Dolphins raked it in. 

Teams will inevitably compeat against teams that may or may not be angling to get Jamal. Even if he is disgruntled. 

23 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Makes sense... I agree with the fans/pundits that don't see SS as a premium position, but Jamal is more than the position itself.  His level/style of play transcends the expected impact of even a top level safety.  I guess $15mm would be a sound deal for such a player. 

Jamal Adams is a special player and the Jets would be fools to trade him.  He is type of player we need to obtain, not trade away.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

No. 

-NO - yes  -yes  - yes  - yes 

YES

So trade him