Joe Douglas Says He Wants Jamal Adams to be a New York Jet for Life

20 hours ago, sameoldjetsstore said:

True. We played better than the final score showed. Lamar had 5 TD passed on 15 completions. A couple plays in the secondary and a couple more sacks/pressures and it's a different game. We could've been very competitive in that game with a healthy Mal. 

No. We would have been competitive n that game with NFL caliber receivers and offensive linemen. Jamal has been here for 48 games and we weren’t competitive in the far majority of those

• Upvote 1

Im in the mindset that whether the Jets trade him or keep him and give him a new contract it's a win/win. I lean towards a trade bc the Jets are not close right now.  They need an infusion of good players on offense and defense.  Trading him could net you a 1st, 2nd and mid round pick this year and a 1st in 2021. That's potentially 3 impact players over the next 2 years under at least 5 years of control at a good price.  6 picks in the first 3 rounds will go a long way to building this roster.  And those 6 picks combined would be cheaper annually then Adams on a new contract. 

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why do teams want to give away money and term for free?  Why?  They control him, why is this an issue now?

Is he going to give us a big discount to sign him now?  No.  So why even talk about it until he inevitably holds out?

Because if you do this as a pure extension with a signing bonus you can roll his current (below market) salaries into the total cost of the deal while still front-loading money and lock him in before any market increases in the interim. The only thing it costs you is the cap space from 1/5 of the signing bonus  and flexibility  in the event that he suddenly tanks. 

The alternative is a disgruntled team leader with an economic incentive to make "business decisions" as he plays and a higher total cost of the deal if you sign him after he plays out his contract than extending him now would be. 

Not worth the wait. If you are certain that you want to keep him on a second contract, now is absolutely the time to do it. Waiting would be a mistake

from the fans's perspective we hear adams is just a safety and his position shouldn't be overvalued.  but we don't know what's going on inside the jets.  we think the morons like maneesh or costello or cimini may have an inside track since that's their job but they often get it wrong.  imo adams all comes down to his worth on the field, and in the locker room and even off the field.  he's one of the top safeties when only his on field work is considered.  his locker room and off the field worth may put him over the top.  that's up to douglas to assess.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No. We would have been compatible in that game with NFL caliber receivers and offensive linemen. Jamal has been here for 48 games and we weren’t competitive in the far majority of those

I also didn't want Jamal with that pick, however, it's not a very good argument that Jamal is not a good player because the Jets are a bad team.

17 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

For those of us that do most of our work in Board Rooms, this is referred to as "CEO talk".  I would take is as pure rhetoric.

Yep, starting with the very first line (though it isn’t a direct quote, it’s clear the insinuation is the sentiment came from Douglas): 

The top priority for the New York Jets this offseason is retaining safety Jamal Adams.

There is no way on earth this is - nor should it be - the top priority this offseason. Not unless he’s a worse GM than Maccagnan and Idzik rolled into one, where the goal is to repeat the 2017-2019 losing seasons (which happened with Adams).

The top priorities are shoring up the weakest position groups, namely OL and WR. Figuring Enunwa isn’t playing this year, even if they somehow don’t cut Winters the team needs 2 WRs and 2 OLmen just to field a starting team.  

However important it is to Douglas to extend Adams this offseason, it takes a back seat to those two areas, plus adding a corner and an OLB or two. Absent those things, extending Adams won’t make a bit of difference in getting this team to the playoffs (never mind the super bowl). Yes it’d be cheaper to lock him up this year than it would to wait, but the fact remains he is under team control for 2 more seasons without even franchise tagging him. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

Im in the mindset that whether the Jets trade him or keep him and give him a new contract it's a win/win. I lean towards a trade bc the Jets are not close right now.  They need an infusion of good players on offense and defense.  Trading him could net you a 1st, 2nd and mid round pick this year and a 1st in 2021. That's potentially 3 impact players over the next 2 years under at least 5 years of control at a good price.  6 picks in the first 3 rounds will go a long way to building this roster.  And those 6 picks combined would be cheaper annually then Adams on a new contract. 

Agree with this except for the compensation.

As much as I’d welcome it, there’s no way on earth anyone is surrendering anywhere near that. It’s doubtful we could get that from anyone even if you removed that 1st rounder in 2021. The reason no one’s giving that package up is the same reason you’re welcoming it. A single safety - presumed to be in need of a $15-17MM/year extension this offseason to thwart a holdout situation - is not worth three very cheap high picks plus an even cheaper mid-round pick. 

Adams had more value this past October - to a contender, at the trade deadline, halfway through his 3rd season, with just over 2.5 years remaining on his rookie deal - than he does now, entering his 4th season, while making it known he wants a new contract not just right away but as one of the league’s top paid defenders ($20MM?) not merely as the league’s top paid safety (let alone as the top paid strong safety, at that). 

The very best offer we’re likely to get - though I’ll grant you it depends on how high the 1st rounder is - is likely to be a 2020 1st and a 2020 3rd, and I don’t at all expect even that to be offered to us right before free agency and the draft. I expect even if he got that offer, Douglas would turn it down, whether that’s wise or not.

Sure Douglas would actually rather have multiple 1st round picks instead of paying through the nose to extend Adams, but no one is offering that, so he may as well act like extending Adams is what he really wants. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with this except for the compensation.

As much as I’d welcome it, there’s no way on earth anyone is surrendering anywhere near that. It’s doubtful we could get that from anyone even if you removed that 1st rounder in 2021. The reason no one’s giving that package up is the same reason you’re welcoming it. A single safety - presumed to be in need of a $15-17MM/year extension this offseason to thwart a holdout situation - is not worth three very cheap high picks plus an even cheaper mid-round pick. 

Adams had more value this past October - to a contender, at the trade deadline, halfway through his 3rd season, with just over 2.5 years remaining on his rookie deal - than he does now, entering his 4th season, while making it known he wants a new contract not just right away but as one of the league’s top paid defenders ($20MM?) not merely as the league’s top paid safety (let alone as the top paid strong safety, at that). 

The very best offer we’re likely to get - though I’ll grant you it depends on how high the 1st rounder is - is likely to be a 2020 1st and a 2020 3rd, and I don’t at all expect even that to be offered to us right before free agency and the draft. I expect even if he got that offer, Douglas would turn it down, whether that’s wise or not.

Sure Douglas would actually rather have multiple 1st round picks instead of paying through the nose to extend Adams, but no one is offering that, so he may as well act like extending Adams is what he really wants. 

You're getting the best safety in the NFL with 2 controllable years. Owners don't fear holdouts bc they hardly ever work. And if you're going to give up picks for a player like him you almost certainly are prepared to offer him what he wants to get a deal done. Jaylen Ramsey went for a 2020 1st and 4th, 2021 1st. Adams would command at least that in a trade. That's with Ramsey having only 3 months left on his contract at the time of the deal and Adams has 2 years. I think you and other Jets fans are way undervaluing him.

And Adams has never said he wants to be paid as one of the top defenders. He has only said he wants to be paid what he's worth. You can read into that statement many ways but they'd all be guesses at this point.

• Sympathy 1

You want to extend Adams? Fine. Not how I’d play it, but go ahead. Not this year. And maybe not even next. There’s zero reason to do it now. Maybe if they hadn’t blown so much money on Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosley. I just don’t see why you’d do it when he’s still got two years on his contract. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You want to extend Adams? Fine. Not how I’d play it, but go ahead. Not this year. And maybe not even next. There’s zero reason to do it now. Maybe if they hadn’t blown so much money on Trumaine Johnson and CJ Mosley. I just don’t see why you’d do it when he’s still got two years on his contract. 

Because they know he won't play this year for $3.5M.  

19 hours ago, SR24 said:

Idk man after the way he melted down at the deadline this past year, topped on with how bad this teams been I could totally see him holding out. 

I don't get why we'd extend him this offseason, without a HUGE discount.  What do the Jets gain by doing so?

This isn't Revis post-2009, where we got close to a Super Bowl, and faced playing without a guy coming off one of the best seasons at his position of all time.  This is Jamal Adams on a team that went 7-9 against one of the leagues easiest schedules, after going 4-12 and 5-11 the years prior.  We can lose football games with or without Jamal Adams.

Trade him before the draft, or pay him what he's owed this year.  There's absolutely no benefit to the Jets to giving him top safety money in 2020.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets played valiantly vs the Ravens. Next to the Cowboys win, the Ravens game was the most satisfying one to watch all year

Not the defense.

The defense was awful in that game, giving Lamar Jackson arguably the best passing day of his career, thus far. 

6 hours ago, jgb said:

I also didn't want Jamal with that pick, however, it's not a very good argument that Jamal is not a good player because the Jets are a bad team.

I think the argument is that Jamal Adams is a very good player and, despite that goodness, it hasn’t elevated the performance of the team a single iota. The team is going to get better if Sam Darnold improves, and that’s the only path that matters. If Jamal Adams retired today, you still wouldn’t list “strong safety” as one of the team’s top five needs. You might not put it as a top ten need.  

17 hours ago, sameoldjetsstore said:

True. We played better than the final score showed. Lamar had 5 TD passed on 15 completions. A couple plays in the secondary and a couple more sacks/pressures and it's a different game. We could've been very competitive in that game with a healthy Mal. 

Exactly this

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because they know he won't play this year for $3.5M.  

Adams would lose all leverage in that scenario. Teams own the power after 3 years of a rookie deal.

If Adams were to hold out, he would be fined for missing mandatory camps, could lose parts of his signing bonus, and most importantly, he would risk losing parts of an accrued season, maybe even delaying his true free agency.

If the Jets believe that retaining Adams is a smart move and consider him a cornerstone of the team, it can be a smart move. The key would be to sign him below market, and allowing him to earn more earlier in his career than he would have if he played out his rookie deal. In that case, it is a win-win situation for the club and the player.

If those conditions are met.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't get why we'd extend him this offseason, without a HUGE discount.  What do the Jets gain by doing so?

This isn't Revis post-2009, where we got close to a Super Bowl, and faced playing without a guy coming off one of the best seasons at his position of all time.  This is Jamal Adams on a team that went 7-9 against one of the leagues easiest schedules, after going 4-12 and 5-11 the years prior.  We can lose football games with or without Jamal Adams.

Trade him before the draft, or pay him what he's owed this year.  There's absolutely no benefit to the Jets to giving him top safety money in 2020.

They’d be paying him to avoid giving him the space to have a tantrum this offseason. He’d love nothing more than the chance to hold out and turn his Instagram into a woe-is-me reality show about how disrespected he feels.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the argument is that Jamal Adams is a very good player and, despite that goodness, it hasn’t elevated the performance of the team a single iota. The team is going to get better if Sam Darnold improves, and that’s the only path that matters. If Jamal Adams retired today, you still wouldn’t list “strong safety” as one of the team’s top five needs. You might not put it as a top ten need.  

Impossible to tell how much worse we would be without him. He may have elevated us from 1-15. But he is a good player and on a talentless team we need those, non?

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Impossible to tell how much worse we would be without him. He may have elevated use from 1-15. But he is a good player and on a talentless team we need those, non?

Our opinion of Jamal Adams and effect on the team is meaningless.

If, again if, Douglas values the position, the contributions of the player, and that players ability to contribute in a meaningful manner for the NY Jets, then it could behoove him to make a smart deal with that player.

If all those conditions are in his evaluation, everything else is moot. Given that the NFL is about to strike a new deal, that contract (based on current salary guidelines) may actually be a boon for the Jets and they get him at a relative discount.

For me it really depends on the return. If the Jets could get a first rounder and a mid round pick, I'd almost consider it a no brainer.

It would give the Jets the opportunity to take two offensive linemen in the first round, opening up the rest of the draft to load up on WR/CB/Edge/OL

I love Jamal, but I think I would deal him if it mean getting a first and a mid round pick(s)

2 minutes ago, jcass10 said:

For me it really depends on the return. If the Jets could get a first rounder and a mid round pick, I'd almost consider it a no brainer.

It would give the Jets the opportunity to take two offensive linemen in the first round, opening up the rest of the draft to load up on WR/CB/Edge/OL

I love Jamal, but I think I would deal him if it mean getting a first and a mid round pick(s)

how many here would trade jamal straight up for lamb or jeudy if you were told that these wrs would be very good day 1?

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Our opinion of Jamal Adams and effect on the team is meaningless.

If, again if, Douglas values the position, the contributions of the player, and that players ability to contribute in a meaningful manner for the NY Jets, then it could behoove him to make a smart deal with that player.

If all those conditions are in his evaluation, everything else is moot. Given that the NFL is about to strike a new deal, that contract (based on current salary guidelines) may actually be a boon for the Jets and they get him at a relative discount.

Of course our opinion is meaningless yet here we are ? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

how many here would trade jamal straight up for lamb or jeudy if you were told that these wrs would be very good day 1?

The problem is you never know. Draft picks are magic beans, some grow into beanstalks, some grow into turd trees.

17 hours ago, choon328 said:

Trading him could net you a 1st, 2nd and mid round pick this year and a 1st in 2021. That's potentially 3 impact players over the next 2 years under at least 5 years of control at a good price.  

?

Jamal’s family would trade him if they could get that much back for him.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, choon328 said:

You're getting the best safety in the NFL with 2 controllable years. Owners don't fear holdouts bc they hardly ever work. And if you're going to give up picks for a player like him you almost certainly are prepared to offer him what he wants to get a deal done. Jaylen Ramsey went for a 2020 1st and 4th, 2021 1st. Adams would command at least that in a trade. That's with Ramsey having only 3 months left on his contract at the time of the deal and Adams has 2 years. I think you and other Jets fans are way undervaluing him.

And Adams has never said he wants to be paid as one of the top defenders. He has only said he wants to be paid what he's worth. You can read into that statement many ways but they'd all be guesses at this point.

Doubtful. The Ramsey analogy isn't great because he's a corner. Despite all the hoopla over the most recent FS contracts, every-year PB/AP young corners are widely considered more valuable. Thing is there aren't any consistent great young ones whose contracts have come up recently. Plus Ramsey had 7 games less on his rookie deal than Adams does right now so I'm not sure where you think there's so much separation. Ramsey was 1 game shy of halfway through his 4th season; Adams is 8 games shy of halfway through his 4th season. Both were top 10 picks and both got or will get the 5th year option exercised. It's almost the same thing, except Ramsey was traded after the draft and that's not a small difference. 

Nobody is surrendering two 1st round picks for Adams this spring unless there's one team that views strong safety as the one missing piece they don't think they can fill via FA or the draft (and that's a serious long shot). The other key, key difference mentioned above is other trades involving 1st rounders and/or more (Ramsey, Minkah, and others like Tunsil, Cooper, etc.) happened after the draft was over - if not outright after the season was underway - and it was clear to these contender teams that they needed more right now in specific areas. Those teams were picking up players they could use to push them to a SB today while not surrendering any picks until next year. It's not a minor point: Adams had more value at the trade deadline this past year than he has right now, and at that time supposedly nobody matched the Douglas requirement of two 1st rounders (wasn't the top Dallas offer like a 1st and a 3rd or a 1st and a 3rd day pick?). Nobody is surrendering a pair of 1s - let alone a pair of 1s plus a 2 plus a 3rd-4th rounder - when they could just sign someone in free agency right now, draft a safety as well right after that, and still have most of an entire draft of cheap picks leftover. No one is doing that. I still think the top offer - if we even get this much - is a 1st and a 3rd. Teams don't typically trade draft picks right before the draft.

Also he kinda has 2 years remaining and he doesn't. If he threatens to hold out, or even makes overtures to do so privately (and word gets around), yes it will hurt his trade value unless the new team is more than willing to do an extension right away. He has 32 games under team control and Ramsey had 25 games under team control. Considering what they got for those extra 7 games was use of those picks this year and the player this year, L.A. ended up with more games with high value players than one trading for Adams before the draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Impossible to tell how much worse we would be without him. He may have elevated us from 1-15. But he is a good player and on a talentless team we need those, non?

Do you really think Jamal Adams elevates this team from 1-15 to 7-9? A player with 61 tackles and a single garbage time INT?