Giants cut LB Alec Ogletree

Jetsfan80

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001103278/article/giants-part-ways-with-lb-alec-ogletree-clear-10m

Giants part ways with LB Alec Ogletree, clear $10M

Print
  • By Grant Gordon NFL.com
  • Published: Feb. 26, 2020 at 11:38 a.m.

In a move that will cut considerable cost and also leave them searching for a new starting linebacker, the Giants announced Wednesday morning that they have cut Alec Ogletree.

Initially acquired via trade with the Rams, Ogletree started the past two seasons for the Giants, but the 28 year old former first-round pick was due $10 million in base salary in 2020.

His release was announced in conjunction with the release of defensive end Kareem Martin, who played in just five games last season but was due $4.2 million in the upcoming campaign.

The release of Ogletree is a significant one in that it signals a rebuild of the Giants defense and a bit of a change in leadership as the backer was elected team captain in each of his seasons in New York.

A first-round selection of the St. Louis Rams in 2013, Ogletree started and played 13 games in each of his seasons for the Giants, posting 80 tackles this past year, which was third on the team. An underrated coverage man, Ogletree had five interceptions in 2018 for the team, with two returned for scores.

Martin was a third-round pick by the Cardinals in 2014 who signed with the Giants ahead of the 2018 season. Production never followed Martin to Gotham, as he started in seven games in 2018, but found his way to just 1.5 sacks to go with 48 tackles, though the latter was a career-high. Last season, Martin incurred a knee injury and had a trip to injured reserve. Overall, he posted but six tackles through five games.

With Ogletree's departure, the Giants also have decisions regarding free agent defensive ends Leonard Williams and Markus Golden along with linebacker David Mayo. Thus, it's likely the Giants' 2020 defense will look much different than the 2019 model.

• Upvote 2

I can't believe Gettleman still has a job.

As we saw in the playoffs, you need a solid DL to be competitive.  Otherwise, in the best case, you get run over.  

Either you pay those guys alot of money, likely on an annual basis, or draft them high.  

You don't trade Leo unless it is with an extension, or if you think he is good enough to Franchise Tag (like the Jets did with Mo, ugh).  

Don't know how smart it is to pay these off ball LBs that much money either.  

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

I can't believe Gettleman still has a job.

As we saw in the playoffs, you need a solid DL to be competitive.  Otherwise, in the best case, you get run over.  

Either you pay those guys alot of money, likely on an annual basis, or draft them high.  

You don't trade Leo unless it is with an extension, or if you think he is good enough to Franchise Tag (like the Jets did with Mo, ugh).  

Don't know how smart it is to pay these off ball LBs that much money either.  

Really?

Gettleman drafted Lawrence at 17 last year. He’s a lot better than QW.

As for Leo, he gave up a 3rd, and we paid the rest of his ‘19 salary. Gettleman has 2 more years of control if he wants to tag Leo, and the inside track on signing a 25 year old proven, solid starter.Oh yeah, the Giants are getting back a compensatory 3rd from another deal.

Gettleman is far from stupid. He may be old school, and people here like to rag him for not taking Sam, but Jones and Barkley are pretty damn good picks.

Lets stop knocking Gettleman, and hope we get the same quality drafts he did the last two years from our new GM. If we do, we should be pretty happy.

• Upvote 3

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Really?

As for Leo, he gave up a 3rd, and we paid the rest of his ‘19 salary. Gettleman has 2 more years of control if he wants to tag Leo, and the inside track on signing a 25 year old proven, solid starter.Oh yeah, the Giants are getting back a compensatory 3rd from another deal.

Gettleman is far from stupid. He may be old school, and people here like to rag him for not taking Sam, but Jones and Barkley are pretty damn good picks.

I am starting to get the feeling that Chase Young is going to fall into his lap at #4. Can definitely see a scenario where QB hungry teams will sell the farm to Wash. and Detroit to move back 3-4 spots to get Tua and Herbert. Then, he would have gotten Barkley, Jones and Young. Not bad.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Really?

Williams was not a good trade for Giants.  They gave up the 4th pick in the third round for virtually nothing.  Even if Williams signs a high contract with another team the Giants would be compensated what amounts to a fourth round pick in the 2021 draft while giving the Jets their 5th round pick.

As for Q. Williams certainly disappointing to date but he's only 21, I'll give him another season before saying how good or bad he is.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

I am starting to get the feeling that Chase Young is going to fall into his lap at #4. Can definitely see a scenario where QB hungry teams will sell the farm to Wash. and Detroit to move back 3-4 spots to get Tua and Herbert. Then, he would have gotten Barkley, Jones and Young. Not bad.

Not only that, when you have time, go back and take a look at the other guys he got in the last two drafts. Do you think the Jets would like to have gotten a WR like Slayton in the 4th round?

The only knock I can understand with Gettleman is his FA signings. His drafts,  and the OBJ, Leo trades? Not at all.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Williams was not a good trade for Giants.  They gave up the 4th pick in the third round for virtually nothing.  Even if Williams signs a high contract with another team the Giants would be compensated what amounts to a fourth round pick in the 2021 draft while giving the Jets their 5th round pick.

As for Q. Williams certainly disappointing to date but he's only 21, I'll give him another season before saying how good or bad he is.

Virtually nothing? ? They got a proven, solid,25 year starter who we had to trade because we used the #3 pick to get a chubbier, not as good version of.

That’s not the main point here though. 

I was replying to someone who said they don’t understand how Gettleman still has a job, because he doesn’t value DL. I pointed out that he drafted a better one at 17 then we did at 3, and then traded for Leo.

i’d say That shows he values DL play, wouldn’t you?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Not only that, when you have time, go back and take a look at the other guys he got in the last two drafts. Do you think the Jets would like to have gotten a WR like Slayton in the 4th round?

The only knock I can understand with Gettleman is his FA signings. His drafts,  and the OBJ, Leo trades? Not at all.

Over Tevon Wesco? Are you crazy?? I agree, his drafts have been pretty good.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I was replying to someone who said they don’t understand how Gettleman still has a job, because he doesn’t value DL. I pointed out that he drafted a better one at 17 then we did at 3, and then traded for Leo.

I would agree that he is prioritizing the DL.  As far as his moves, Lawrence looks like a solid pick at 17. Also it appears he may have gotten the QB right even though he was criticized for picking Jones as early as he did.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Virtually nothing? ? They got a proven, solid,25 year starter who we had to trade because we used the #3 pick to get a chubbier, not as good version of.

QW       G 13  Comb 28  Total 15  Ast  13  Sck 2.5  PDef  1

DL         G 16  Comb 38  Total 24  Ast  14  Sck 2.5  PDef  1

Seems to me the two had similar stats, except QW had less playing time. To evaluate a player after one year as a rookie is ludicrous. Every time I read your posts you are always praising other teams and putting the Jets down. As far as that 25 year old DL they traded for, he is an average player, and lets see if they resign him. I would take QW over Leo every day of the week. Hopefully QW will turn into what we wanted him to be when he got drafted that high. I wanted Josh Allen at that pick, but QW deserves more than one year to be called a bust.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Seems to me the two had similar stats, except QW had less playing time. To evaluate a player after one year as a rookie is ludicrous. Every time I read your posts you are always praising other teams and putting the Jets down. As far as that 25 year old DL they traded for, he is an average player, and lets see if they resign him. I would take QW over Leo every day of the week. Hopefully QW will turn into what we wanted him to be when he got drafted that high. I wanted Josh Allen at that pick, but QW deserves more than one year to be called a bust.

You’re one of the extremely small number of posters here I won’t engage with. Just so you know why I don’t, it’s because you aren’t able to discuss/disagree without getting personal or nasty.

So i’ll tell you, just like I’ve told the other two, I don’t read your quotes to me, so don’t expect any replies.

Fair enough?

3 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

it's like every other argument between a Jets fan and a Giants fan.  

A former safety who ended up finding a niche as an undersized ILB. Made some really nice plays against the pass and brought a lot of attitude, but the Giants overpaid him for what he was able to contribute on the field as a spunky converted safety/undersized ILB who was sometimes good against the pass. Can’t pay those guys top dollar. Cough.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

In the other post you said 

He’s a lot better than QW.

Lets clarify those comments please.  Are you restricting your evaluation to just their rookie seasons or are you extrapolating beyond that?  Because the implication is clear.  He was better (not sure about "a lot") than Q in his rookie season.  Means little to nothing for the future.  So just stop.  Your shielding of Gettleman reminds me of Villain.  Off season.  Need to stay away from troll bait.  And I don't even hate Gettleman, BTW and agree with some of the points.  But he's a Giant.  So Gettleman can go f--k himself in 14 different positions for all I care.  Are you a Giants fan?  Because why bother?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Ludicrous? For a top 3 pick? Lol

The exact difference maker here is that one guy was drafted at 17 and another at 3. In no way, shape, or form, do you draft a guy at 3 overall who needs "1 year" to develop into a star.

Whomever you draft should be...

- Starting every game (QW did not) 

- Stay healthy all year (QW did not) 

- Be a game changer (QW was not) 

- Show up on a per game stat line (QW did not) 

That's the exact type of guy you draft at 17, which Gettlemen did. 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

A former safety who ended up finding a niche as an undersized ILB. Made some really nice plays against the pass and brought a lot of attitude, but the Giants overpaid him for what he was able to contribute on the field as a spunky converted safety/undersized ILB who was sometimes good against the pass. Can’t pay those guys top dollar. Cough.

Since 2017...

Ogletree - LB 

7 INTs 3 Def TDs

Adams - SFTY

2 INts 2 Def TDs

?

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Really?

Lets stop knocking Gettleman, and hope we get the same quality drafts he did the last two years from our new GM. If we do, we should be pretty happy.

I agree with almost all you posted except for this... Lawrence may have had a better rookie year than Q,,, but imo Q IS the Much Better player.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Gotta free up the dough to re-sign the monster that is Leonard Williams.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Damon Harrison is available.  I might rather bring him back.

He meant the Giants needed to save up to bring back Leo.  Get us that 4th rounder, Gettleman!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

Since 2017...

Ogletree - LB 

7 INTs 3 Def TDs

Adams - SFTY

2 INts 2 Def TDs

?

Any sacks? I know Ogletree was drafted high for his pass rushing prowess out of Georgia. I remember we drafted his teammate in the 3rd in Jenkins and everyone said he's not the Pass rusher Ogletree is. My guess is Jenkins has more sacks im the NFL than he does? Lol

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

Any sacks? I know Ogletree was drafted high for his pass rushing prowess out of Georgia. I remember we drafted his teammate in the 3rd in Jenkins and everyone said he's not the Pass rusher Ogletree is. My guess is Jenkins has more sacks im the NFL than he does? Lol

Not sure. Just thought it was funny that a mediocre LB had more interceptions in the same span as our all star safety.