Jump to content
kelly

what was the BEST free-agent class in Jets history ? ? ?

Recommended Posts

Without digging too deep into the archives, the most impactful free agent haul in the past 15 years occurred in 2008. The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season under Eric Mangini, broke the bank with some smart additions. GM Mike Tannenbaum doled out $140 million in contracts to address both sides of the ball.

 

The Jets added perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, versatile offensive lineman Damien Woody, outside linebacker Calvin Pace and Pro Bowl nose tackle Kris Jenkins to quickly re-make Gang Green. Sprinkle in a trade for Brett Favre a few months later — and voila! — the transformation was complete. It was an impressive offseason to say the least.The Jets went 9-7 in 2008 and missed the playoffs thanks largely to Favre’s torn biceps tendon. However, Faneca and Woody helped revamp an offensive line in need of help.

Sound familiar?The pair of veterans were pivotal in Gang Green’s run to the AFC Championship Game the following season. Woody and Pace were also key contributors on the 2010 team that also made the conference title game.Jets fans would be pretty happy if Joe Douglas could hit on his impending signings like Tannenbaum did 12 years ago.

rest of above article..  https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-2020-schedule-free-agency-draft-trade-20200221-uuktdpvzzndubcoi4rdead7szq-story.html

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1998 they signed Kevin Mawae and Curtis Martin.  Even though Martin was a restricted FA, it was well worth the compensation.  Can't think of a better year off the top of my head.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

In 1998 they signed Kevin Mawae and Curtis Martin.  Even though Martin was a restricted FA, it was well worth the compensation.  Can't think of a better year off the top of my head.

Typical.  All-Hail that fat **** for trading draft picks for the right to overpay a RB!  Franchise builder extraordinaire!  Do you know who was available with the 1st pick they traded for Martin?  Randy Moss.  Then he threw in a 3rd that could have been Hines Ward.  That one didn't hurt as much because that tub of sh*t preferred Kevin Williams, picking him 5 slots before Ward.  Kevin Williams, remember him?  You probably don't, but he was a skinny safety #23, that had some mystery illness and was in a coma for a few weeks.  Then came back to be Steve A****er's heir apparent only to be cut mid-season for the immortal Chris Hayes.  All because that fat **** didn't like Adrian Murrell. 

Give me Randy Moss, Hines Ward, Adrian Murrell and $36M all damn day. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 4
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

We traded for Jenkins.

Jets fans love that guy.   We gave up draft picks, and gave him a very good contract, and he played 23 games over 3 years.  The guy was a stud when he was out there, but he missed over half the games he was on the roster for.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Typical.  All-Hail that fat **** for trading draft picks for the right to overpay a RB!  Franchise builder extraordinaire!  Do you know who was available with the 1st pick they traded for Martin?  Randy Moss.  Then he threw in a 3rd that could have been Hines Ward.  That one didn't hurt a much because that tub of sh*t preferred Kevin WIlliams.  Remember him?  You probably don't, but he was a skinny safety that had some mystery illness and was in a coma for a few weeks.  Then came back to be Steve A****er's heir apparent only to be cut mid-season for Chris Hayes.  All because that fat **** didn't like Adrien Murrell. 

Give me Randy Moss, Hines Ward, Adrian Murrell and $36M all damn day. 

I understand your points, I'm just saying he picked up two Hall of Famers in one FA class.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I understand your points, I'm just saying he picked up two Hall of Famers in one FA class.  

You won't change my mind!  I hate that fat ****er!  

@T0mShane

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I understand your points, I'm just saying he picked up two Hall of Famers in one FA class.  

ALL HAIL KING PARCELLS

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Jets fans love that guy.   We gave up draft picks, and gave him a very good contract, and he played 23 games over 3 years.  The guy was a stud when he was out there, but he missed over half the games he was on the roster for.

Yeah but he was something else when he was available I called him...........

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Jets fans love that guy.   We gave up draft picks, and gave him a very good contract, and he played 23 games over 3 years.  The guy was a stud when he was out there, but he missed over half the games he was on the roster for.

Interesting thing is that I think they first went for Shaun Rogers.  My memory was that he failed the physical, but I can't find any of that now.  Maybe it was just rumors, though I think Vilma took a physical for the Lions.  Rogers also made the pro bowl in 2008 and he was on the field way more in 2009 and 2010.  Would have been interesting.  We gave a 3rd and 5th for Jenkins.  I think the Browns gave a 3rd and Leigh Bodden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kelly said:

Without digging too deep into the archives, the most impactful free agent haul in the past 15 years occurred in 2008. The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season under Eric Mangini, broke the bank with some smart additions. GM Mike Tannenbaum doled out $140 million in contracts to address both sides of the ball.

 

The Jets added perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, versatile offensive lineman Damien Woody, outside linebacker Calvin Pace and Pro Bowl nose tackle Kris Jenkins to quickly re-make Gang Green. Sprinkle in a trade for Brett Favre a few months later — and voila! — the transformation was complete. It was an impressive offseason to say the least.The Jets went 9-7 in 2008 and missed the playoffs thanks largely to Favre’s torn biceps tendon. However, Faneca and Woody helped revamp an offensive line in need of help.

Sound familiar?The pair of veterans were pivotal in Gang Green’s run to the AFC Championship Game the following season. Woody and Pace were also key contributors on the 2010 team that also made the conference title game.Jets fans would be pretty happy if Joe Douglas could hit on his impending signings like Tannenbaum did 12 years ago.

rest of above article..  https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-2020-schedule-free-agency-draft-trade-20200221-uuktdpvzzndubcoi4rdead7szq-story.html

The favre trade ruined the season but the FA moves were great.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple from the semi-old days:

1979:  Two thirds of the Sack Exchange: Mark Gastineau and Marty Lyons

1983: Ken O'Brien, Johnny Hector (loved this guy), JoJo Townsell & Bobby Humphrey

And talk about a steal?  Joe Klecko was picked #144 in the sixth round of the 1977 draft.  Nice.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1998 when Parcells signed Vinny, Kevin Mawae, Curtis Martin and Bryan Cox 

 

nothing else even comes close

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The favre trade ruined the season but the FA moves were great.

Oh yeah because Chad and Kellen Clemens were getting us to the SB

 

if Favre didn’t injure his arm that team makes a serious playoff run

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Typical.  All-Hail that fat **** for trading draft picks for the right to overpay a RB!  Franchise builder extraordinaire!  Do you know who was available with the 1st pick they traded for Martin?  Randy Moss.  Then he threw in a 3rd that could have been Hines Ward.  That one didn't hurt as much because that tub of sh*t preferred Kevin Williams, picking him 5 slots before Ward.  Kevin Williams, remember him?  You probably don't, but he was a skinny safety #23, that had some mystery illness and was in a coma for a few weeks.  Then came back to be Steve A****er's heir apparent only to be cut mid-season for the immortal Chris Hayes.  All because that fat **** didn't like Adrian Murrell. 

Give me Randy Moss, Hines Ward, Adrian Murrell and $36M all damn day. 

Parcells made some mind bogglingly bad decisions like passing on both Peyton and Orlando Pace for James Farrior and trading Hugh Douglas but he also made some really good moves too

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Couple from the semi-old days:

1979:  Two thirds of the Sack Exchange: Mark Gastineau and Marty Lyons

1983: Ken O'Brien, Johnny Hector (loved this guy), JoJo Townsell & Bobby Humphrey

And talk about a steal?  Joe Klecko was picked #144 in the sixth round of the 1977 draft.  Nice.

All drafted, topic is about best FA signings.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Oh yeah because Chad and Kellen Clemens were getting us to the SB

 

if Favre didn’t injure his arm that team makes a serious playoff run

Chad took over a 1 win Miami team and won 11 while leading them to the AFC East title.  Since Tom Brady became NE's starter they have not won the division only 2 times- 2002 Jets and 2008 dolphins, both QB'd by Chad Pennington.

 

Favre was awful and disinterested most of that season, he had a good stretch of football in November while he was supposedly already hurt.  He made his career playing through pain, his disinterest in playing here derailed that season not an injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

In 1998 they signed Kevin Mawae and Curtis Martin.  Even though Martin was a restricted FA, it was well worth the compensation.  Can't think of a better year off the top of my head.

Hard to argue with two players who were brought in at a young age and became HOF players as NY Jets.

Especially even as much as I loved Jenkins and Faneca they were short term help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The favre trade ruined the season but the FA moves were great.

No, Favres injury ruined the season.

Not Favre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Chad took over a 1 win Miami team and won 11 while leading them to the AFC East title.  Since Tom Brady became NE's starter they have not won the division only 2 times- 2002 Jets and 2008 dolphins, both QB'd by Chad Pennington.

 

Favre was awful and disinterested most of that season, he had a good stretch of football in November while he was supposedly already hurt.  He made his career playing through pain, his disinterest in playing here derailed that season not an injury.

Favre may not have had the Jets at the top of his list of teams he preferred to play for, we all know who and why, but to then turn it around into he was awful and disinterested is BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Favre may not have had the Jets at the top of his list of teams he preferred to play for, we all know who and why, but to then turn it around into he was awful and disinterested is BS.

OTOH, how invested do you think he was when the entire world knew that his plan was to join the Vikings in 2009? Hell, I think he actually stated it outright before the Jets got him.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kelly said:

Without digging too deep into the archives, the most impactful free agent haul in the past 15 years occurred in 2008. The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season under Eric Mangini, broke the bank with some smart additions. GM Mike Tannenbaum doled out $140 million in contracts to address both sides of the ball.

 

The Jets added perennial Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca, versatile offensive lineman Damien Woody, outside linebacker Calvin Pace and Pro Bowl nose tackle Kris Jenkins to quickly re-make Gang Green. Sprinkle in a trade for Brett Favre a few months later — and voila! — the transformation was complete. It was an impressive offseason to say the least.The Jets went 9-7 in 2008 and missed the playoffs thanks largely to Favre’s torn biceps tendon. However, Faneca and Woody helped revamp an offensive line in need of help.

Sound familiar?The pair of veterans were pivotal in Gang Green’s run to the AFC Championship Game the following season. Woody and Pace were also key contributors on the 2010 team that also made the conference title game.Jets fans would be pretty happy if Joe Douglas could hit on his impending signings like Tannenbaum did 12 years ago.

rest of above article..  https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-2020-schedule-free-agency-draft-trade-20200221-uuktdpvzzndubcoi4rdead7szq-story.html

As good as Jenkins was, he was never able to stay healthy and Pace never turned into the OLB we hoped for. Thw OL pickups were solid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Parcells made some mind bogglingly bad decisions like passing on both Peyton and Orlando Pace for James Farrior and trading Hugh Douglas but he also made some really good moves too

People have to remember, Parcells was hired by Hess to win and win as soon as possible because he was on his death bed.  Parcells was told this when he was hired.  He wasn't hired to win 3, 4 years later, after Hess's death.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, Favres injury ruined the season.

Not Favre

He wasn't good the majority of that season including when he was "healthy".  The injury was nothing more than an excuse.

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Favre may not have had the Jets at the top of his list of teams he preferred to play for, we all know who and why, but to then turn it around into he was awful and disinterested is BS.

He wanted to stick it to GB, he played here because he had Tom. We saw the difference in him from no 2008 to 2009.  He was busy helping Packers opponents prepare for GB rather than learning his Jets playbook.  We had a creampuff schedule and a lot of talent around him which led to the good record through 11 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

OTOH, how invested do you think he was when the enitre world knew that his plan was to join the Vikings in 2009? Hell, I think he actually stated it outright before the Jets got him.  

Favre?  I don't think he played the game as an uninvested QB.  Nothing about his personality says hes that type to just turn it off.  He seemed to be trying as he always had before being a Jet.  

On the other hand, lets dream.  He stays healthy, build on 8-3 and they make a playoff run.  Mangini doesn't get fired, Rex and his QB aren't in place.  Does he force his way out if hes not allowed to walk to the Vikes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

People have to remember, Parcells was hired by Hess to win and win as soon as possible because he was on his death bed.  Parcells was told this when he was hired.  He wasn't hired to win 3, 4 years later, after Hess's death.

Parcells also had no interest in staying here long term, he only wanted to coach 2 years. He came back for year 3 because of Hess.  BP turned around the franchise as a HC, he hurt us as a GM.  Cost us either peyton or Brady along with Belichick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

He wasn't good the majority of that season including when he was "healthy".  The injury was nothing more than an excuse.

He wanted to stick it to GB, he played here because he had Tom. We saw the difference in him from no 2008 to 2009.  He was busy helping Packers opponents prepare for GB rather than learning his Jets playbook.  We had a creampuff schedule and a lot of talent around him which led to the good record through 11 games. 

Youre judging Favre against the best Favre, a HOF all time great QB.  Not against an aged QB playing on that Jet team. 

And he had them at 8-3, in 1st.  

Was he Favre at his best?  No.  At then end of his career he was up and down, like most old QB become.

And you have no idea what he would have done if he didnt get injured, the dominoes were put in place for a new HC, QB and he was allowed to just walk.  

Just as no one know what he felt here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Parcells also had no interest in staying here long term, he only wanted to coach 2 years. He came back for year 3 because of Hess.  BP turned around the franchise as a HC, he hurt us as a GM.  Cost us either peyton or Brady along with Belichick.

No shlt.  He wasn't hired to be here long term.  He was hired to win and win quickly. He made moves that way.  Don't twist it around, he was hired for 3 years at most.

Belichick was a HC no one wanted, so that's pointless.  He was trash at that point in time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

People have to remember, Parcells was hired by Hess to win and win as soon as possible because he was on his death bed.  Parcells was told this when he was hired.  He wasn't hired to win 3, 4 years later, after Hess's death.

So that explains passing on Orlando Pace and Walter Jones?  That explains trading away Hugh Douglas for Dorian Boose? Moving on from a serviceable Neil O'Donnell for the Kellen Clemens of his era, Glen Foley?  

The only explanation for most of that stuff is "culture."  I give that fat **** credit for some of his moves because having "his guys" works for him.  My issue is that we then excuse all his roster stupidity because we think he knows what he was doing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jet Nut said:

Favre?  I don't think he played the game as an uninvested QB.  Nothing about his personality says hes that type to just turn it off.  He seemed to be trying as he always had before being a Jet.  

On the other hand, lets dream.  He stays healthy, build on 8-3 and they make a playoff run.  Mangini doesn't get fired, Rex and his QB aren't in place.  Does he force his way out if hes not allowed to walk to the Vikes?

He made his career playing through pain, he wanted to go to Minnesota and it showed in his play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre judging Favre against the best Favre, a HOF all time great QB.  Not against an aged QB playing on that Jet team. 

And he had them at 8-3, in 1st.  

Was he Favre at his best?  No.  At then end of his career he was up and down, like most old QB become.

And you have no idea what he would have done if he didnt get injured, the dominoes were put in place for a new HC, QB and he was allowed to just walk.  

Just as no one know what he felt here.

 

He had maybe his best ever season a year later in Minnesota.

He agreed to play here only because the Jets told him they would release him after the season.  They hoped he'd have fun here and want to stay but they knew the likelihood was he'd only play one season here and go to Minnesota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No shlt.  He wasn't hired to be here long term.  He was hired to win and win quickly. He made moves that way.  Don't twist it around, he was hired for 3 years at most.

Belichick was a HC no one wanted, so that's pointless.  He was trash at that point in time.

 

He cost us Peyton or Brady along with Belichick.  Even knowing he was going to be here short term he didn't have to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TNJet said:

All drafted, topic is about best FA signings.

Good lord, what an idiot (me).  Sorry about that.  My bad.  Gettin' old is doing a number on my cognitive abilities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...