Why can't we sign 3 Olineman?

Jetster

They should sign three lineman.  RT, and 2 Guards.  That still leaves them needing a LT.

The draft is loaded at our positions of weakness.  It’s the perfect opportunity to draft BPA that actually fills a need.

Take Thomas, Wirfs, or the Mountain and be done with LT for the next decade.

There’s enough talent to get a WR, C, RB, and another WR with our next four picks.

• Upvote 4

Only issue with your strategy is that FA Tackles never seem to be long term solutions and are more of a couple of years almost like stop gaps see Soldier with the Giants. We may be better off keeping Beachem for a year or 2 more at LT where the line actually played better when he came back. But, I don't see how we can go through rounds 1 and 2 and not pick up a T in the draft. It would be the same mistake Mac had been making. We need to start long term building of this Oline with some short term guys like Beachem, Harrison, and either Lewis or Winters staying and then pickup like Thuney at G to start at one spot all just so rookies can learn behind them and take over ASAP. And to get those rookies we should not start drafting them in the 3rd or 4th round. This draft is 3-4 rounds deep at WR so better to get some Wideouts there and get some Olineman especially T in the 1st 2 rounds. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This isn't Madden.  Not only will some of the OL we're coveting end up signing back with their teams (like Castonzo and Conklin), but they'll have options when they hit free agency.  We're not the only team with cap space.  

We absolutely should sign several OL.  Just don't be surprised if we can only find one capable starter going that route, with the others being depth signings.  These guys get let go by their old teams for a reason.  

+1

I actually think the Jets are going to sign at least 3 offensive linemen in free agency.  I just expect more Compton, Qvale, Ijalana quality than Vaitai, Conklin, Scherff.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Don’t remember the exact stat but the Jets have been up there for OL spending and don’t have a lot to show for it. The FA OL track record isn’t awesome. This is also a really strong OL draft class. Good to leave room to draft guys.

Vaitai, Lewis, and Glasgow would be a solid middle of the road haul. Go into the draft with those three, Harrison, and Edoga. Room to draft guys and create competition.

You could theoretically do Conklin-Glasgow-Vaitai if it’s an option to kick Vaitai to guard in the case that they go LT - which I’d hope they do because I’m not sure I love the idea of Vaitai at LT. But it does still restrict the ability to put a young tackle only guy at RT if you don’t want to start him on the left side from day one.

22 minutes ago, peebag said:

Because we're not the only team with underwhelming talent on the o-line.  It's going to cost a fortune to sign any of the available FA linemen.

Joey D is going to need to have a really good draft this year.

This.

There are a lot of teams looking to upgrade at OL, a lot.

i hate to break it to @Jetster, but those teams will be looking for them in FA, and the draft also. The Jets aren’t operating in a vacuum here.

51 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Granted, they have to want to come to NY, but I don't understand why we can't try & sign 1 stud like Conklin & 2 grinders like Glasgow & Vaitai if they are available. Your not going to protect Sam with a bunch of rookies. 

A trifecta of Conklin- Glasgow- Vaitai

We have nobody being paid yet on offense other than Bell & he can be dumped in 2021 if we grab a stud RB with our second 3rd rounder this year. We could take not one but two freaking stud WRs. Ceedee at #1, Best available Center at #2, best WR left with our 1st 3rd rounder (Gandy?) take another Oline project @ 4,  plus Trumaine Johnson will be off the books in 2021 too. 

For years this team has loaded up on the Dline & defense in general. Time for the offensive side of the trenches to get the most dough planted in it so we can get the best out of Sam Darnold surrounded with playmakers. 

I know it is not likely, but I have been HOPING the Jets can land Castonzo.  If they can manage that & come away from the draft with either Wills or Wirfs, it would be fantastic.  Like it or not, one if not two of the current Jets interior lineman will be starters in 2020.  Harrison at center would be OK.  He did a nice job.  The Jets will also have ample opportunity to draft a starting interior lineman in rounds 5-7.  This all depends on the Joe D. managing to coax Castanzo to come sign with the Jets... 

LT Beachum

LG Lewis

C Garland 

RG Haeg

RT Vaitai

None of these guys would be a significant investment in terms of the cap.  They could replace any of them during the draft with a long-term solution.  But all could be starters day one and slowly give way to draftees/UDFA either during the year or over the next couple years.  Veterans to protect Sam until draftees can take over.  Also, rely on Douglas' strength, scouting, to find talent in the draft rather than navigating the free agency market.

• Upvote 1

Conklin has a checkered injury history and is pretty poorly rated as a pass blocker. I don’t think he should be in the conversation for the amount of money he’s going to command.

Thuney or Glasgow are probably the way to go when we’re talking about signing o-lineman that will command premium money. We should pursue both aggressively and hope to land one. 

After that, I think it’s depth lineman in free agency and a serious, offensive-line centric draft strategy.

• Upvote 3

I think we go HARD after Jack Conklin. 

He mainly played LT in college (35/38 starts LT).  He has 35" arms (which is legit for the left side), and it's not like he couldn't cut it on the blindside in the NFL, he plays opposite Taylor Lewan (who became a perennial pro-bowler the year Jack was drafted).  The two seasons prior to Conklin, Taylor Lewan missed 6 games and gave up sacks; one might say Conklin was drafted to replace Lewan who they turned it up to keep his job. 

Getting Conklin would give us tremendous flexibility going into the draft.  We could draft any one of the top-5 OTs, and still upgrade at both tackle spots, we are not relegated to just drafting for LT (Thomas, Becton, Jones).     

That said, I think we also go hard after at least one IOL (Thuney please, despite his cost), and draft Andrew Thomas.  Joe should make a statement this off-season with his OL rebuild. It will send the right message to the team; that he does what he says he'll do, and that he means business.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Its not about how many, its about who.  Last year, in addition to re-signing Harrison,  we traded for Osemele, signed Compton, traded for Lewis and signed Kalil.  And the OL still sucked. 

Pretty sure we will acquire at least 3 OLs outside of the draft -- just hope they are more impactful acquisitions than last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Because signing those three gives you a starting lineup of Vaitai, Glasgow, a rookie, Winters, Conklin... that’s still a bad OL.

So your telling me 2 rookies will step in day 1, one at LT & 1 at Guard? I don't see it happening. We have 2 guys under contract in Winters & Harriison. 

Im not saying we can get them? But he's gotta try! We paid Trumaine Johnson 17 million a season & got NOTHING. It might seem like your overpaying now but in another 2 years it's a steal. 

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sign all the things!  Whatdoyamean real life isn't like Madden?

Remember, if Free Agency worked like OP thinks, Kirk Cousins would be our starting QB today. :-k

You could sign 3 Olineman for what Cousins was paid. 

43 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This.

There are a lot of teams looking to upgrade at OL, a lot.

i hate to break it to @Jetster, but those teams will be looking for them in FA, and the draft also. The Jets aren’t operating in a vacuum here.

And I don't think the rest of teh world sees Sam Darnold as a lock to be a top 10 QB....

they see a guy who was the 26th ranked QB 2 years running  and is struggling at this level

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

And I don't think the rest of teh world sees Sam Darnold as a lock to be a top 10 QB....

they see a guy who was the 26th ranked QB 2 years running  and is struggling at this level

He pretty much wins the games that the Oline  protects him in? Guys weren't congratulating him after games & talking him up like Watt & a few other guys because he's just another QB out there. 

Pro football players know when a guy has it. Sam has it. His line was ATROCIOUS last year & he was recuperating from Mono. I'm sure he's viewed as an up & coming QB throughout the league. He's still one of the youngest QBs in the NFL, Joe Burrow is older than him. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This isn't Madden.  Not only will some of the OL we're coveting end up signing back with their teams (like Castonzo and Conklin), but they'll have options when they hit free agency.  We're not the only team with cap space.  

We absolutely should sign several OL.  Just don't be surprised if we can only find one capable starter going that route, with the others being depth signings.  These guys get let go by their old teams for a reason.  

Conklin may slip away. Titans have said they want to re-sign Derrick Henry and Probably franchise Tannehill, there are a lot of media here saying that the Titans would be in on a "Brady" signing if he were to really take a FA tour. 

That would be a lot of money in the 2 above to then come back and spend top $ on Conklin.

I am not saying they can't ($47 mil in cap i think is correct) but it would be difficult they would be pretty strapped i think 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stark said:

Conklin may slip away. Titans have said they want to re-sign Derrick Henry and Probably franchise Tannehill, there are a lot of media here saying that the Titans would be in on a "Brady" signing if he were to really take a FA tour. 

That would be a lot of money in the 2 above to then come back and spend top $ on Conklin.

I am not saying they can't ($47 mil in cap i think is correct) but it would be difficult they would be pretty strapped i think 

It's possible.  But even if Conklin walks, you then have to consider:

1) Why would he sign here?

2) Conklin's injury history kept the Titans from giving him a 5th year option AND from bringing back a guy who was crucial to Derrick Henry's success.  Couple of red flags there.  

4 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Blank check for conklin and thuney. Draft Thomas at 11 and draft Hennessy with the Second rounder or biadsz with the early third.

The suspense is killing me trying to think about how JD will solve this puzzle. There are a few different scenarios & I only care about the offense right now. I can't bare to watch anymore inept offense in my lifetime. 

I want to see a 7 yard slant go 70 yards with a trail of smoke behind it. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetster said:

'm sure he's viewed as an up & coming QB throughout the league

i am not saying the OL wasnt crap. I said it 2 years ago and was pilloried by all the stoopit Brian WInters fans.

whats your evidence for teh above statement? show me some links quotes from other teams players and coaching personnel.

dont mistake 2 years ago predraft buzz for something it isnt.  i dont buy that other teams fear Sam Darnold. 

Am sure Belichick is quite satisfied with his ability to neutralize him.

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

i am not saying the OL wasnt crap. I said it 2 years ago and was pilloried by all the stoopit Brian WInters fans.

whats your evidence for teh above statement? show me some links quotes from other teams players and coaching personnel.

dont mistake 2 years ago predraft buzz for something it isnt.  i dont buy that other teams fear Sam Darnold. 

Am sure Belichick is quite satisfied with his ability to neutralize him.

Who are these Brian Winters fans and where are they?  Especially two years ago.  I think any fans he had were pretty much off his tiny bandwagon by 2017.  I guess you weren't here then and these people exist in some other place where I have never been? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

As much as I'd love to sign 3 OL we're only gonna have like 50 mil in cap space if we're lucky, the OL market is going to continue to thin out with resigns/franchise tags and we have to realize this is more than a 1 year rebuild for the offense. My guess is we end up going OL with 2 of the 4 picks we have in the 1st 3 rounds, after we sign 1-2 OL via free agency. I expect 1 quality signing maybe Glasgow and then another depth-lower end free agent. 

• Sympathy 1

yeah i like where your head is at, but the truth and what our new GM probably knows, that to be fair our past few have not known, is that we have to draft our own. 

We have to have draft high impact positions OL QB WR RB etc steadily and to maintain a good average of talent, knowing full well that we might miss. But it avoids what we are now and what you are suggesting - signing a whole lot of FA Line. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

So your telling me 2 rookies will step in day 1, one at LT & 1 at Guard? I don't see it happening. We have 2 guys under contract in Winters & Harriison. 

Im not saying we can get them? But he's gotta try! We paid Trumaine Johnson 17 million a season & got NOTHING. It might seem like your overpaying now but in another 2 years it's a steal. 

My point is more that we need more than 3 OL in free agency and we need to draft OL to create depth at a position that might stunt the growth of our potential franchise guy. Getting 2 new IOL and bringing back Lewis and then bringing back a functional tackle like Beachum should be the starting point for the team. That doesn't mean you avoid OL in the draft, this team needs to revamp the entire OL depth chart. Taking a really good OT at 11 and doubling back in the first 4 rounds will get us from 1 starting caliber OL last year to possibly 5 or 6 this year.