Why can't we sign 3 Olineman?

Jetster

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's possible.  But even if Conklin walks, you then have to consider:

1) Why would he sign here?

2) Conklin's injury history kept the Titans from giving him a 5th year option AND from bringing back a guy who was crucial to Derrick Henry's success.  Couple of red flags there.  

Not disagreeing there Conklin struggled since his rookie year with injuries and play.  
Titans pass blocking isn’t great. 
1. 14-18 million of that doesn’t work then oh well. 
Using that logic we should never sign any desirable FAs 

2. agree here.  Henry gonna get top RB $ and franchise tag is like $27 mil. Just depends on how they want to spend and if they don’t value Conklin, which around town is they like all 3 but the $ is gonna play a big part

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Granted, they have to want to come to NY, but I don't understand why we can't try & sign 1 stud like Conklin & 2 grinders like Glasgow & Vaitai if they are available. Your not going to protect Sam with a bunch of rookies. 

A trifecta of Conklin- Glasgow- Vaitai

We have nobody being paid yet on offense other than Bell & he can be dumped in 2021 if we grab a stud RB with our second 3rd rounder this year. We could take not one but two freaking stud WRs. Ceedee at #1, Best available Center at #2, best WR left with our 1st 3rd rounder (Gandy?) take another Oline project @ 4,  plus Trumaine Johnson will be off the books in 2021 too. 

For years this team has loaded up on the Dline & defense in general. Time for the offensive side of the trenches to get the most dough planted in it so we can get the best out of Sam Darnold surrounded with playmakers. 

they probably will have to sign 2 or more olinemen in free agency.  hopefully they'll land some top flight guys.  but they also need to be playing somewhat for the future beyond one or two seasons.  that's where using the draft to start building up the depth or even grabbing one of the top flight prospects.  right now i'm pretty confident douglas knows who the players are and what kind of players he wants.  i suspect oline is high up on his list.

Free agents are never a long term solution they are usually stop gap measure.   The draft is always a long term solution in theory.   JD didn't get a 6 year deal to make his stay a panic situation.  Depth is always a major interest in the draft in the areas that teams need to address.   The draft will be interesting to watch and which players the Jets call in for workouts before the draft.  I think JD will bring in 2 high rated OL free gents.   

5 hours ago, Jetster said:

Granted, they have to want to come to NY, but I don't understand why we can't try & sign 1 stud like Conklin & 2 grinders like Glasgow & Vaitai if they are available. Your not going to protect Sam with a bunch of rookies. 

We have nobody being paid yet on offense other than Bell & he can be dumped in 2021 if we grab a stud RB with our second 3rd rounder this year. We could take not one but two freaking stud WRs. Ceedee at #1, Best available Center at #2, best WR left with our 1st 3rd rounder (Gandy?) take another Oline project @ 4,  plus Trumaine Johnson will be off the books in 2021 too. 

For years this team has loaded up on the Dline & defense in general. Time for the offensive side of the trenches to get the most dough planted in it so we can get the best out of Sam Darnold surrounded with playmakers. 

That #1 pick must be a T. If they are all off the board and only if, then I can live with going with Jeudy or Lamb. Even if we sign 2 OL, JD needs to focus high draft picks on fortifying the OL. Not sure how much cash we have available in FA. And of course it will go quick since these FA’s are going to command top dollar but I see no reason not to sign 2 OL and draft 2 OL with the first 3 picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It's likely that the Jets see 3 holes on ther offensive line.  Left Guard, LT and RT. Harrison will be back at Center and Winters will get restructured to a lower cap number for 2020. He'll probably agree to a paycut but get his salary guaranteed for 2020. I could see Vaitai bc of his connection with Douglas. Glasgow bc of his experience at Center and Guard. And I think they'll offer Conklin a major deal. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

I want younger, cheaper, better....not guys cashing in with the Jets. (See Trumaine Johnson)

Free Agency is for filling a hole, supplementing a unit, etc. Not for building a whole position group. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I want younger, cheaper, better....not guys cashing in with the Jets. (See Trumaine Johnson)
Free Agency is for filling a hole, supplementing a unit, etc. Not for building a whole position group. 

We have acquired some pretty good OL in the past via free agency. I think you can get quality guards and RTs later in the draft. It would be nice if they could plug all their holes with at least serviceable vets and this way they can be flexible during the draft. This way best case we have a lot of depth. Worst case we have some guys who can be serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

We have acquired some pretty good OL in the past via free agency. I think you can get quality guards and RTs later in the draft. It would be nice if they could plug all their holes with at least serviceable vets and this way they can be flexible during the draft. This way best case we have a lot of depth. Worst case we have some guys who can be serviceable.

Agreed. But you almost always overpay and you occasionally get an Osemele, etc.

No problem signing a guy or two but we can’t “build” using FA as a strategy. Absolutely need to land some draft picks who will have great play/pay ratios for their first 4-5 years. 

Serviceable vets for depth are great but even those guys are becoming very expensive. We don’t want a bunch of Tom Compton’s on the roster. And, guys who are better get expensive fast. Our eyes will bug out when we see what average guys get this year. 

I mean Beechum was an example of a guy who was serviceable and you could win with. He is obviously older now though I wouldnt mind having him back. Resigning Lewis would be another decent vet. The rest are pretty much the reason Joe Douglas gets the big bucks. Then you go into the draft with a little flexibility. If the LT is there you take him and can always move the LT to RT, etc. we arent rebuilding the entire line with one draft. Not even Mangini did that and he had two firsts.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I mean Beechum was an example of a guy who was serviceable and you could win with. He is obviously older now though I wouldnt mind having him back. Resigning Lewis would be another decent vet. The rest are pretty much the reason Joe Douglas gets the big bucks. Then you go into the draft with a little flexibility. If the LT is there you take him and can always move the LT to RT, etc. we arent rebuilding the entire line with one draft. Not even Mangini did that and he had two firsts.

I’m in the “Sign 2, Draft 2” camp! (Haven’t trademarked that yet. lol) And when I say Sign 2 I’m talking external guys like a Glasgow, Conklin, Thuney, Vaitai, etc. But I also support bringing back guys like Beachum and/or Lewis, etc. We should hold onto Harrison who is a B-/C+ Center, a decent starter who you always want to upgrade. We need EITHER Vaitai or bring back Beachum. We need to upgrade OG AND probably try to bring back Lewis. Qvale, Edoga are depth or compete with 2 rookies we Draft in Rounds 1 and late 3rd or 4th. 

• Sympathy 2

I’m in the “Sign 2, Draft 2” camp! (Haven’t trademarked that yet. lol) And when I say Sign 2 I’m talking external guys like a Glasgow, Conklin, Thuney, Vaitai, etc. But I also support bringing back guys like Beachum and/or Lewis, etc. We should hold onto Harrison who is a B-/C+ Center, a decent starter who you always want to upgrade. We need EITHER Vaitai or bring back Beachum. We need to upgard OG AND probably try to bring back Lewis. Qvale, Edoga are depth or compete with 2 rookies we Draft in Rounds 1 and late 3rd or 4th. 

Yeah that would be a great plan. They just need to maintain some flexibility. That way maybe if the tackle position slips and no one is left to take they can go in a different direction. The plan itself isnt what was wrong with Mac, it was the players he picked.

At minimum the Jets need to add two high quality starting offensive lineman in free agency. They can't go into the draft needing to find 2 starting offensive lineman.  That would be terrible.

Unfortunately there are really no free agent LT's out there this off-season.  The majority of young tackles in FA are on the right side. Also, unfortunately,  by the time the Jets pick at 11 the top LT prospects will be gone. 

Preferably, if you can only bring in 2 high quality FA lineman, I'd bring in Conklin with Vaitai as the backup plan at right tackle.  

I'd bring in Thuney with Glasgow as the backup plan at Guard. 

I'd bring back Beachum on a 2 year deal with the 2nd year only for cap purposes. That way you can maintain flexibility with the 11th pick if a LT prospect doesn't fall to them.  

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Who is the best FA olineman we've signed in the last decade? Specifically, the last decade.

Say we did sign three free agent offensive lineman to significant contracts.  What past team has signed that many free agent starters in one FA period and then had all three be part of a SB appearance?  I am guessing none.  But if you are replacing draft capital for cash... there should be some test case that says building the core of a line in FA is possible.

4 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Say we did sign three free agent offensive lineman to significant contracts.  What past team has signed that many free agent starters in one FA period and then had all three be part of a SB appearance?  I am guessing none.  But if you are replacing draft capital for cash... there should be some test case that says building the core of a line in FA is possible.

I believe the Rams rebuilt most of their line through free agency? Whitworth was the last pc & he was old when they signed him.

17 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They should sign three lineman.  RT, and 2 Guards.  That still leaves them needing a LT.

The draft is loaded at our positions of weakness.  It’s the perfect opportunity to draft BPA that actually fills a need.

Take Thomas, Wirfs, or the Mountain and be done with LT for the next decade.

There’s enough talent to get a WR, C, RB, and another WR with our next four picks.

Could you imagine if they got lucky enough to sign 3 Olineman? Conklin, Glasgow, (Any other Guard, 2nd tier, maybe overpay a little), we trade back get another #2, draft Jones at LT, use one of the two #2s for best Center available (Biadesz?) + the 2nd two for Best WR available? 

OMG! Can I dream? Jones & Conklin at the tackle spots & Glasgow starting out at Center while Biadesz gets worked in slowly & we have all out completion for 1 Guard spot. That's the best scenario. 

Jets might have 5 new starting offensive linemen in 2020, says GM Joe Douglas

By MANISH MEHTA

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |

FEB 27, 2020

INDIANAPOLIS — Jets general manager Joe Douglas has the unenviable task of performing radical reconstructive surgery on an offensive line that severely underperformed last season. The new guy in the big chair might have to perform a complete makeover depending on how the dominos fall in the coming weeks in free agency.

Could the Jets actually have five new starters along the line in 2020?

“We’re all looking for continuity,” Douglas said at the NFL Scouting Combine this week. “So, five new starters would be a less-than ideal situation. That being said, we have to do what’s in the best interest of this team this year and long term. So, if it comes to that, it comes to that.”

For all the issues that plagued the Jets last season, the organization must do a much better job protecting its most valuable asset: Sam Darnold.

Only three teams allowed more sacks than the Jets and only four allowed more quarterback hits last season. It’s a recipe for disaster when the franchise’s centerpiece is consistently under duress. The last thing that folks on One Jets Drive need during this critical phase is to stunt Darnold’s growth because he’s not properly protected.

“Obviously, we need to have a strong offensive line,” Douglas said. “We have to do a good job of taking care of Sam moving forward.”

The Jets aren't going anywhere in 2020 unless they figure out a way to protect Sam Darnold.

Smart teams build from the inside-out. So, it’ll be Douglas’ charge to improve all across the line. With only one two starters (right guard Brian Winters and center Jonotthan Harrison) under contract for 2020, Douglas & Co. have a lot of critical decisions to make this offseason.

Adam Gase and Douglas’ challenge will be compiling the best five players, who can work together to fortify the trenches. There were plenty of culprits on the league’s worst offense from last season (32nd in total yards, 31st in rushing and scoring and 29th in passing). Most times, the best five players aren’t necessarily the best five who can work best together.

Signing the biggest — and most expensive — free-agent linemen won’t guarantee success. Sometimes, grabbing a lesser hyped player makes better sense. Weighing the strengths and weaknesses of each of the five players is an arduous task when you’re attempting to assemble a giant, fluid puzzle. There’s a fair amount of projection (or guesswork, depending on your perspective) to determine whether your line can function at a high level together without ever actually seeing them play together.

That makes the Jets’ challenge that much more difficult.

Is it even possible to properly rebuild an offensive line with long-term viability in one offseason?

“It’s tough,” Gase said. “Because in free agency you’re going off of what you’ve known in the past of guys. You check all the research you had whether it’s coming out of college, some of our guys might have had players in free agency on a different staff. That’s one good thing about having guys who have been around a little bit. They’ve had a lot of experience with different guys.”

“You just try to do the best you can to find the five that will work well together,” Gase continued. “It’s a tough puzzle to put together. I wish it were really easy where you just said, ‘here you go,’ and went and rolled. That’s the toughest part of being a GM, where Joe’s got to figure out how to put those puzzles together the right way to where we can hit the ground running and have success doing it.”

It’ll be a monumental task for Douglas, who has made no secret that line improvements will be his top priority.

There are some intriguing free-agent options, including a couple in-house. Gang Green would like to bring back guard Alex Lewis at the right price. Left tackle Kelvin Beachum was the best lineman last season, but how much are the Jets willing to offer to retain him?

Winters, who missed the second half of the season due to shoulder surgery, is scheduled to count $7.3 million on the 2020 salary cap. The Jets would clear all that money by cutting him, but …

“With Brian, that’s a special case,” Douglas said. “He’s the only returning (Week 1) starter we have. We’re not looking to dig ourselves even more of a hole.”

Maybe not, but it makes a world of sense to bring him back at a discounted rate. Regardless, there will be plenty of moving parts. The Jets appear headed to draft an offensive linemen in the first round, too. Whether it’s standing pat at No. 11 or moving up or down (likely down), there are some quality lineman options.

“I think it’s a good group,” Douglas said. “I think you’re going to see a lot of guys who become starters in the NFL. ... There are quite a few guys that kind of fit the mold of what we’re looking for: smart, durable, tough, explosive, guys that can play multiple positions,” Douglas said. “The versatility, that’s a big thing. You’ve got to be able to play multiple positions. So, there’s quite a few guys who fit that bill.”

Douglas might have to build the line from scratch to get to where he ultimately wants to go.

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed. But you almost always overpay and you occasionally get an Osemele, etc.

No problem signing a guy or two but we can’t “build” using FA as a strategy. Absolutely need to land some draft picks who will have great play/pay ratios for their first 4-5 years. 

Agreed.  That’s why I laugh at some people’s FA “wish lists”.   They’re so unrealistic.  Stay away from the high priced stuff, fill holes with mid-level guys, draft well and pay your own guys when the time comes.  That’s the way to sustained success.  You would think that by watching this franchise for the last decade that people would grasp this.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Conklin has a checkered injury history and is pretty poorly rated as a pass blocker. I don’t think he should be in the conversation for the amount of money he’s going to command.

Thuney or Glasgow are probably the way to go when we’re talking about signing o-lineman that will command premium money. We should pursue both aggressively and hope to land one. 

After that, I think it’s depth lineman in free agency and a serious, offensive-line centric draft strategy.

Agree fully on Conklin.  I would not pursue him.  I want Castanzo...