Combine 2020 Game Thread

kdels62

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

Props for bringing up some of these names really early, especially Mims.

I'll be honest when I say had i not watched sooo much Baylor tape last year i might not have been quick to gush over Mims. 

How about Claypool and Duvernay though. loved their game/tape but was holding my breath. Expected them to throw up day 3 numbers... 

Nope. 

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'll be honest when I say had i not watched sooo much Baylor tape last year i might not have been quick to gush over Mims. 

How about Claypool and Duvernay though. loved their game/tape but was holding my breath. Expected them to throw up day 3 numbers... 

Nope. 

Claypool was the biggest shocker today and even you had him switching positions a while ago. For someone that athletic and fast he never did a great job at separation at the WR position. He was always a good football player and I hope he gets drafted as a TE. He probably jumped 2 rounds today.

Edit: I was always a big Duvernay fan. Besides SEC games I ended up watching a bunch of UT games and he's bust proof. 

duvernay was the go to  guy for UT all season. It was comical, teams would know it was coming on 3rd down and he would get it every time. I think he's gonna last into the 4th round because UT receivers don't tend to get a lot of love. But he is not some tiny slot guy, he is thick bodied and can line up everywhere including in the backfield. 

was very Impressed by claypool, but also michael pittman jr looked very solid

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Agoldstein54 said:

duvernay was the go to  guy for UT all season. It was comical, teams would know it was coming on 3rd down and he would get it every time. I think he's gonna last into the 4th round because UT receivers don't tend to get a lot of love. 

There is absolutely no chance he will be available in the 4th round. 

31 minutes ago, RobR said:

Claypool was the biggest shocker today and even you had him switching positions a while ago. For someone that athletic and fast he never did a great job at separation at the WR position. He was always a good football player and I hope he gets drafted as a TE. He probably jumped 2 rounds today.

Edit: I was always a big Duvernay fan. Besides SEC games I ended up watching a bunch of UT games and he's bust proof. 

Duvernay is another product of watching a lot of another player (C.J.)., And walking away smitten with Devin instead. I can’t remember where but there are those who Chastised his game speed and I guess I let that taint my perspective. Same with Claypool. I never thought he was a tight end but I guess I listen to the talking heads too much.. Maybe he ends up being one of those oversize slot guys? I don’t know. But he definitely dispelled some concerns today about his measurements

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Reagor is not my guy at all. Don’t like his game and his athletic profile is good not great

4.47 certainly isn't slow but much of Reagor's game is predicated on speed and it was almost an expectation that he'd run something like 4.40 or under.  Not sure that the rest of his game will make up for that.  His shuttle times were bad too.

Not sure how far he falls but could be a 3rd rounder now.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

4.47 certainly isn't slow but much of Reagor's game is predicated on speed and it was almost an expectation that he'd run something like 4.40 or under.  Not sure that the rest of his game will make up for that.  His shuttle times were bad too.

Not sure how far he falls but could be a 3rd rounder now.

He’s not slow but he’s supposed to be a burner. Add in that he doesn’t get separation on the field and I’m throwing up red flags

@sec101row23 Heard your man Simmons on Moving the Chains last night.Sounds like a tremendous young man, poised beyond his years. The last questions was from Pat Kirwin, and the old GM in him came out. " When you are really down, in trouble, bummed out, who do you call?" Response...."my older brother. He loves me, and always tells it like it is." Good stuff.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

@sec101row23 Heard your man Simmons on Moving the Chains last night.Sounds like a tremendous young man, poised beyond his years. The last questions was from Pat Kirwin, and the old GM in him came out. " When you are really down, in trouble, bummed out, who do you call?" Response...."my older brother. He loves me, and always tells it like it is." Good stuff.

Isaiah is a really good kid.  Has been since he stepped foot on campus.  He is a unique player, can play LBer,  but covers like a CB.   It will be fun to see where he goes and how he is used.  You could probably have him play any position on defense except for DT.   

45 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Isaiah is a really good kid.  Has been since he stepped foot on campus.  He is a unique player, can play LBer,  but covers like a CB.   It will be fun to see where he goes and how he is used.  You could probably have him play any position on defense except for DT.   

Freudian slip??

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Nope. 

Duvernay is kind of a Deebo Samuels clone.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'd still move him to te.

I mean you definitely can, he's going to bulk up even still a little im sure just growing up so if he ends up being like 250 at almost 6'4 and running 4.4-4.5 it makes him a very dangerous weapon from TE.

I just thought it was more in the conversation if he ran a slower 40 which i thought he was going to.  Then it would have been the conversation more so than now.  Now a team can move him wherever basically.  That speed and side plays outside and inside. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Why can't he just be a guy who flexes out in the slot/inside? Isn't that how Colston got started? I think there's a lot of similarities between them. 

Because even though he ran a 4.4 the tape doesn't lie. When I watch him I see a guy who struggles to get any separation when playing against a CB. Let him go against a safety or a LB and you might have something. It's the same reason why almost everyone is predicting he will switch to TE.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Because even though he ran a 4.4 the tape doesn't lie. When I watch him I see a guy who struggles to get any separation when playing against a CB. Let him go against a safety or a LB and you might have something. It's the same reason why almost everyone is predicting he will switch to TE.

I'm not disagreeing entirely (though he's more shifty than you're giving him credit for)... i'm just saying, whether or not he's listed as a WR or TE, he could find a very productive home inside. 

On 2/27/2020 at 10:20 AM, Lith said:

Before we all get too crazy iover 40 times and test results -- Here are some combine numbers for 16 WRs with most receptions in 2019.  Was originally gonna do 15, but since Crowder was 16th, I epxended the list to include a Jet.  Not much crazy athleticism, except Julio and maybe DJ Moore.

Player Tm Rec Yds Ht Wt 40 Vert 3 Cone Broad Jump
Michael Thomas NOR 149 1,725 6-3 212 4.57 35.0 6.80 126
Keenan Allen LAC 104 1,199 6-2 211 4.71 36.0    
DeAndre Hopkins HOU 104 1,165 6-1 212 4.57 36.0   115
Julian Edelman NWE 100 1,117 5-10 198 4.52 36.5 6.62 123
Julio Jones ATL 99 1,394 6-3 220 4.34 38.5 6.66 135
Allen Robinson CHI 98 1,147 6-2 220 4.60 39.0 7.00 127
Cooper Kupp LAR 94 1,161 6-2 208 4.62 31.0 6.75 116
Tyler Boyd CIN 90 1,046 6-2 203 4.58 34.0 6.90 119
Robert Woods LAR 90 1,134 6-0 195 4.51 33.5 7.15 117
D.J. Moore CAR 87 1,175 5-11 215 4.42 39.5 6.95 132
Chris Godwin TAM 86 1,333 6-1 209 4.42 36.0 7.01 126
Davante Adams GNB 83 997 6-1 215 4.56 39.5 6.82 123
Jarvis Landry CLE 83 1,174 5-11 196 4.58 28.5 7.55 110
Tyler Lockett SEA 82 1,057 5-10 182 4.40 35.5 6.89 121
Amari Cooper DAL 79 1,189 6-1 210 4.42 33.0 6.71 120
Jamison Crowder NYJ 78 833 5-9 177 4.56 37.0 7.17 115

Average       6-0 1/2 205.2 4.52 35.5 6.93 121.7
Median       6 - 1 209.5 4.56 36.0 6.90 121.0

I will say, whatever their 40 times were, most of these guys WERE high draft picks. So, these were highly touted prospects. So what I'm saying is, the hype was real for most of these players, regardless of whether they showed up in the combine. So, the combine isn;t everything, but its a big part of the process, and the process matters.  

15 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I will say, whatever their 40 times were, most of these guys WERE high draft picks. So, these were highly touted prospects. So what I'm saying is, the hype was real for most of these players, regardless of whether they showed up in the combine. So, the combine isn;t everything, but its a big part of the process, and the process matters.  

The issue with the WRs is that 40 time and metrics often takes the wheel in evaluation. Honestly, receivers should be evaluated athletically as having to reach a minimum threshold in accordance to what their game looks like.

The easy example for me is Jalen Raegor. The narrative on the guy is that he's a burner, speed guy, with 50/50 ball winning ability. Watch his tape and see that he's winning contested balls and not separating very much. He goes to the combine and his speed isn't special. Now you have a guy that lacks true high end speed and lacks separation. That's a huge reason to reevaluate his value. 

26 minutes ago, PepPep said:

They were high draft picks, but it was not all about their combine testing,  They tested fine for the most part, but they are not the guys who were getting all the combine hype during the last week in Feb.  What you don't see on the list are the guys who killed the combine: Corey Coleman, Kevin White, John Ross,  our own Josh Doctson and Stephen Hill.  Guys that "won" Combine week, ended up getting overdrafted and ultiamtely fell short of expectations.  Combine is definitely a factor in evaluations, and it should be; just should not be over emphasized.

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Made himself good money today, I did not see him running low 4.4's that kind of pushes that TE conversion thing to the side for now. 

When he first showed up at Notre Dame there was talk of making him an edge rusher.  Their lack of playmakers on top of their strong DE recruiting class made the choice for them, but could you imagine? 

53 minutes ago, Lith said:

They were high draft picks, but it was not all about their combine testing,  They tested fine for the most part, but they are not the guys who were getting all the combine hype during the last week in Feb.  What you don't see on the list are the guys who killed the combine: Corey Coleman, Kevin White, John Ross,  our own Josh Doctson and Stephen Hill.  Guys that "won" Combine week, ended up getting overdrafted and ultiamtely fell short of expectations.  Combine is definitely a factor in evaluations, and it should be; just should not be over emphasized.

This sign should be on every GM's wall like the "NO GAMBLING" sign used to be, and still may be, in every major league clubhouse. Good stuff.